Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Pineedles

Default Invisible fence

Although I have an invisible fence installed at our winter home, and find it is very effective for containing Reilly and Sam our 2 yellow labs, I can't figure out how to set one up at the lake since it needs a continuous loop configuration. The problem is that I want to allow them to enter the lake. Has anyone figured out a way to shield the cable over a long distance so that the dogs can crossover this portion. Any suggestions?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
jmen24

You can do one of two things.

First create a loop that backtracks on itself around the entire yard excluding the water front. Start by running the outer loop starting at the power source. then when you reach the water on the far end come inside the first line by about three feet and track all the way back around to the power source.

The second option you still need two loops to achieve but you would twist the wires together, 10 twists per foot will cancel the signal to the collar. this is not a lot of fun to do if you have to go a long distance, but you would need to do this to allow the dogs to cross over the line from the outer boundary to the power unit.

These are the only two ways that you can leave a dead zone in the loop, conduit and metals will not cancel the signal and even with the twisting if is not tight enough there are still spots that are live.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/inguandfaq.html Installation number five would be exactly what the first option would look like.

Hope that helps, these systems are great and the dog loves the free roam and we love the fact that we do not need to worry about the dogs running all around the neighborhood.

Last edited by jmen24; 06-17-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: additional information
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (06-17-2009)
Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Pineedles

Default jmen24

Thank you! That's a great site. Yes, twisting the wires, even with an electric drill as they suggest probably wouldn't be perfect and I wouldn't want to scare them with my mistake. I think you are right, a double run will be the best way to go. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
sa meredith

Default talk to them

How about simply sitting the dogs down, and explaining to them that you would really prefer if they would remain in the yard at all times, with the exception of being able to take a swim every now and again. I'm sure they'll understand....
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Merrymeeting

Pineneedles,

This is the setup we have for our dogs and it worked well, until this year.

I say until this year because our new pup loves to swim, and has discovered it's just as easy to come ashore on the neighbors lot as ours

One other neighbor had a similar problem and extended the lines into the lake a bit. But not surprisingly, the signal stops transmitting once it's below a few feet of water.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
How about simply sitting the dogs down, and explaining to them that you would really prefer if they would remain in the yard at all times, with the exception of being able to take a swim every now and again. I'm sure they'll understand....
Ok Reilly and Sam, you know how we love you and don't want you to go bothering the neighbors; well if you stay in the yard we'll give you lots of dog treats. And Sam remember last year when you got picked up by the Moultonborough Police and they put you in Doggy jail? You looked so pitiful sitting there way out in the back parking lot. Do you really want to go back there? The Police said you practically jumped in their window when they stopped near you and when they said they were sending you up the river you thought they were taking you to go swimming. Didn't turn out like you thought, did it? Oh yeah, they'll stay in the yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Pineneedles,

I say until this year because our new pup loves to swim, and has discovered it's just as easy to come ashore on the neighbors lot as ours

One other neighbor had a similar problem and extended the lines into the lake a bit. But not surprisingly, the signal stops transmitting once it's below a few feet of water.
Oh gawd, you are right. I saw them come ashore on the neighbors beach last summer. Let's see, 200' of line to wrap around the house and to the waterfront double looped. Another 1000' double looped extension on either side of the property, booster transmitter, $1.00 per foot for line...... I guess I better get my application in for some TARP money.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Ok Reilly and Sam, you know how we love you and don't want you to go bothering the neighbors; well if you stay in the yard we'll give you lots of dog treats. And Sam remember last year when you got picked up by the Moultonborough Police and they put you in Doggy jail? You looked so pitiful sitting there way out in the back parking lot. Do you really want to go back there? The Police said you practically jumped in their window when they stopped near you and when they said they were sending you up the river you thought they were taking you to go swimming. Didn't turn out like you thought, did it? Oh yeah, they'll stay in the yard.

Oh gawd, you are right. I saw them come ashore on the neighbors beach last summer. Let's see, 200' of line to wrap around the house and to the waterfront double looped. Another 1000' double looped extension on either side of the property, booster transmitter, $1.00 per foot for line...... I guess I better get my application in for some TARP money.
Pinneedles, just so you know, I have used basic wire from Home Depot for my Invisible Fence with good results. It is a smaller gauge wire, but it is way way way cheaper than the wire you would buy from Invisible Fence.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Pinneedles, just so you know, I have used basic wire from Home Depot for my Invisible Fence with good results. It is a smaller gauge wire, but it is way way way cheaper than the wire you would buy from Invisible Fence.
Correct, the line I used was heavier gauge (to go through the woods above ground) it is for sprinkler systems and comes 500 yards per roll.

Then you could buy a section power source that is the same brand as home and use the same collars.

Losing the signal under water is true, but it depends of the output of the power source. The more juice the larger the area of the signal from the wire. Just to test our settings I had the collar in my truck and backed over the line (no beep) my wifes car (Beep).

Last edited by jmen24; 06-18-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 06-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
codeman671

We have a Dogwatch system at the island with a big perimeter. Ours is run to the corner markers on each end at the shoreline and loops back into the woods. Unless the dogs swim out and get back up on land on the other side of the fence line it works great. Mine do not.

Try calling Ernie Roy at Dogwatch and ask. His # is 603-366-2755 I think.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Orion

Default They figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Pineneedles,

Same thing happened with our neighbors dog. Worked good for a little while, but first time she defeated it by swimming around it, it was all over.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Same thing happened with our neighbors dog. Worked good for a little while, but first time she defeated it by swimming around it, it was all over.
It's even worse, once she's done this, she can't get back!

Pineneedles, fwiw, I have a fence at another property that covers the perimeter of a 5 acre lot. Works fine, no booster required.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #12
dpg

Not sure why you would want a "dead zone" for the dog to cross. Doesn't this just defeat the purpose? I have an electric fence at home and they told me to take the collar off when I want the dog to cross. Seems this would be too confusing for the dog most areas he can't cross but one they can. Whatever...personally I don't get it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Pineedles

Default Dpg

I want the dead zone so Reilly and Sam can go swimming in the lake. As labs they are in the lake more than they are out, so I don't know when they will jump off the dock or walk into the water next. It would be very difficult to take their collars off at the right time. Hope that clears it up.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #14
jmen24

Default "The Dead Zone"

One you have to get the wires to the perimeter and therefore need to create a dead signal accross the yard to get there, thats when you twist them up.

Second if you have an existing fence along the back of your property, not much need for the electric to run there.

Third you have waterfront that you would like to allow your dogs access to for swimming, taking the collar off to allow this would open up a whole possibility of issues that you would be trying to avoid, yes dogs may figure out how to get away from the fence and on the other side but that is a trade off. I would suspect that it is more of an issue running to the neighbors yard over land, not to mention the road frontage issues.

Forth you have the fence installed just to protect flower gardens, etc. Then the entire yard is a dead zone with hot spots.

I guess I don't get it, what's not to get?

If your dog is really smart it will lay down at the beep warning zone until the collar stops beeping and cross the line without issue as it has killed the battery in the collar, then what? This is the exact action that my friends GS does, now granted he has no idea that the two items are related and is more trained to the beep and for some reason feels the need to hold once activated.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #15

Default Wireless Invisible Fence

We too are examining our options and we have come across this product. The reviews seem to be very good depending on your lot size and config. Anyone have this product?

http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-PIF-30...5419996&sr=8-1
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
granitebox

Default Wireless

I had this product but had some challenges with a hilly lot. You've got to be aware where the transmitting device is, elevation wise, relative to the rest of the lot. Large changes in elevation (both higher and lower than the 'base' unit) can cause problems and will definitely affect the perimeter. If you don't have a level lot its difficult to get a good uniform perimeter.

In addition - remember - the range of the unit (on level ground) is a circle. That won't conform to many lots sizes which are typically much deeper than wide.

I'm not a big fan of the wireless - they are sold as much more convenient to use but there are many shortfalls in actual use.

Just my .02, I'm sure there are many folks who have had good success.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to granitebox For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
Rose

All I can say it that my dog (my first) has ruined me for all future dogs...we don't need an invisible fence. On the rare occasion that he went beyond his boundaries, he was easily recalled on command. Even when his prey instinct kicked in (chasing a squirrel, for example), if we called in command voice "Bailey, stop," he definitely stopped and looked back at us for further commands.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #18
Argie's Wife

That's how my dog is, Rose. He's awesome like that.

I do know there's some breeds that are runners, like Labs. My mom just got a Newfound/Lab mix and he has gotten away from her a couple of times now.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote