Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Help With Bimini Top

I have a 1988 Montauk 17 which I just bought this year. I recently added a bow rail (Specialty Marine) and I now can no longer lower my bimini, which used to store forward as it will not clear the bow rail. I still would like to store it forward. I am not sure if this is the original bimini or not.

So, my question is what is the proper fix? Do I need a different bimini or can I somehow change the mounting position of this one to clear the rail via a slide rail track and or different positioning of current mount? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
brk-lnt

You won't be able to make it fold flat and down out the way, the way I'm assuming it used to work, because the bow rail is in the way.

You likely could adapt it to mount to the bow rail and fold forward on top of the bow rail. Or you could set it up so that it fold back into a "radar arch" style.

There is this option: http://rnr-marine.com/Montauk-T-Topless.shtml

Or this setup:

Either way, my guess is that this project runs you anywhere from $150ish (modify your existing top with some new brackets and bits-n-pieces) to $800+ (new top, either online or locally made).
Airedale1 (06-05-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Airedale1

Thank you. I don't like the t-top and I don't want it to fold back to the stern. Also, please notice that the whaler in the photo has the Bimini mounted to the gunwale.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
This looks perfect for my Montauk 150. Does anybody have experience with it?
Old 06-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
Gatto Nero

I'm answering my own question here in case anybody is interested in rnr-marine's products. I sent a question to them via an email link from their website right after I posted here two days ago. Since I hadn't heard anything back from them yesterday I searched their website again and found a phone number under the customer service page. I called that number yesterday and immediately got a message pointing me to their web site and the email address that I sent to the day before. Then the message went on to say that the mailbox was full but I could leave a call back number. I typed my number in.....yesterday. A full day later still no response from either source. I still have no idea if the product is/was as advertised but due to the fact that there they must obviously be out of business I no longer have any desire to find out. Too bad, it looked like a pretty cool product.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
AC2717

what if you were to make sort of a stand pole and put the pin holder on top of that. you could get some basic round stock aluminum from anywhere or any shop that sells replacement poles for rails and bimini tops and then on the top of it put the pit holder. the pole would stay stationary and then you can swing it down from the top - someone migt even have a extra canvas top pole or bimini pole lying around to try it out
sorry I cannot draw but it shows what I am trying to type out
one that cut off at the bottom of the photo says existing bracket on boat

I would take the existing bracket on the boat off and put one on that just accepts the pole and holds it straight up
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Airedale1

Thank you one and all. I have found a solution. I have just ordered a 36" rail kit, which will allow me to mount the bimini to the rail which will sit on top of the gunwhale. So, it will now clear the bow rail to the outside and lay flat just forward of it when not in use.

Here is an image showing the set-up that I will use on my boat.

Last edited by Airedale1; 06-05-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Airedale1 is offline   Reply With Quote