Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Wren523

Default Our 3 day fishing license starts at 4p today!!!

Hello and happy summer to all celebrating the 4th on Lake Winni. We"re here in Meredith for our 4th summer. We decided to try fishing this time and we are legal to go at 4p. We have rubber worms & salmon eggs. Any advice on where to drop our lines and what kind of fish to expect would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Wren523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
MikeF-NH

This time of year, your chances of landing a salmon or rainbow from shore are very remote. Most folks targeting these species are trolling with downriggers and/or leadcore down 20-30 feet "off shore". That said, all the warm water species (smallmouth, largemouth bass, rock bass, sunfish, pickerel) will be within reach at different times of day. They are looking for food, shade and "cover". Cover is anything that hides them from predators like: branches and limbs over and in the water, weeds, docks, rafts. Shade is because they have no eyelids so they are looking for protection frm that big bright things in the sky. Under docks, trees and rafts are good otherwise they will be deeper as the sun gets higher in the sky. Getting your bait close to bottom is key.

Rock piles are another great spot to find fish gathered. You should also do well off any jetty.

Stop by and talk with AJ at AJs Bait and Tackle in Merideth and you should get lots of great tips on what to use and where to use it. Personally if I were going to live bait, I'd pick up some shiners, put them under a bobber and let them attract your predator. Hook them through the back just past the dorsel fin and try not to go through the spine...you want them live and wiggling.

Post back on how you did!
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Wren523

Mike-Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I didn't specify that we'd be out in our boat trying our luck. Good to know about the shop in Meredith. We'll use your advice about locations to look. Def will tell what happens whether good or bad report. Appreciate your time.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Wren523

Hello- We had success our first bite yesterday - a 6 in small mouth bass, which swallowed the hook.

Along the shore near where we are staying close to town in Meredith. Then, we got a bite - a much bigger bite- further south, where there was new construction. It was around rocks, and we saw a beaver or muskrat too. The line got stuck in the rocks and broke so the fish got away.

We're going to try by Rattlesnake Island today.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Jonas Pilot

Good luck! Try using night crawlers straight under your boat. No bobber, just a non-lead sinker. Try to keep your boat in around 20 feet of water and the worm about a foot off the bottom. I think you'll find more fish deeper now.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
NBR

Default Fishing

If you really want to experience Winni fishing as a part of your vacation get a guide. Costs a bit but you get out in his boat and since he fishes every day you have the best chance at success.

Fish Winnipesaukee is a web site that will take you to a list of guides.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post
Fish Winnipesaukee is a web site that will take you to a list of guides.
Most of the guides are also listed in our Lake Links directory: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/links/browselinks.php?c=7
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
RLW

Thumbs up

Wren523, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I can see already that you are getting some great advice from the members and I’m sure you will continue to get additional information. Best of luck with your rod and reel.