Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
wsconner

Default trolling basics

Hello,
we've been visiting the lake for many generations (live on seacoast). My two young boys are dying to catch a lake trout in the next few weeks. I've got minimally experience trolling on the lake, but plan to use a down rigger. Anyone willing to share basic tips on water depth and lure selection? Many thanks.
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
secondcurve

Try posting your message at www.fishlakewinni.com there are many experienced, nice folks over there that can help you out.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
joconnor424 (06-14-2012), wsconner (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
SAB1

Lakers like cold water. Salmon now are coming at 20-30ft so I would go deeper than that. Also, troll very slow, slower than you would for salmon. The fishlakewinni site is a good place to go. If you have problems getting lakers and really want to get them call Travis (Coolwater) from that site. He runs charters in August that targets Lakers and it is not uncommon for him to boat 15 in a morning. If you are using spoons, I tend to do best on lakers with small spoons. Copper Mooselooks and white with red dot well. Also copper colored topgun with black spots. Just make sure you have action at the slow troll rate.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
MikeF-NH

SecondCurve is conrrct in referring you to fishlakewinni.com. You can also search the archives on their message board for specific information. For instance if you search "downrigger"...you will find hundreds of posts about downrigger use. If you only read posts made in June, you will find specific posts to current conditions.

That said, if you don't like doing this type of "research", pop over to AJs Bait and Tackle in Merideth. Drop some $ on some of his db smelt and topgun lures (ask him for advice on these...he'll put you onto good lures). He probably won't give you GPS coordinates but will probably give you general area info, depth to be at, speed to troll at, etc because he knows if you do well, you'll be back.

You may still get fish in the top 15 feet of the water column in the morning but by 8 they will drop below 20 to 30. When the fish drop down past 25#, I also begin using vertical attractors. AJ can help you with these too...they are about $25 a piece. Also, switch to Chamberlain DR releases (sold at AJs). Best $20 you'll ever spend on gear to improve downrigging. Pick up light floro carbon leader material (6# or 8#) and ask AJ about the "best swivels" he has for trolling....

Note that trolling can get frustrating in busy times of the day as many of the best areas have HEAVY boat traffic and these huge boats will not respect safe boating distance or responsibilty for their wakes. First and last two hours of daylight are best.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
wsconner

appreciate the gracious help---will let you know how we do in a couple of weeks. those pictures on the fishlakewinni board are motivating!
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Hi wsconner;

Mike F gave you some great info to get you started. I too also highly recommend Chamberlain releases for your downrigger. I started using them this year and will never go back! If you want a good tutorial on how to use them, go to youtube and do a search. They are pretty easy to use and the video will take all the guess work out of it. If you want a hands on demo, P.M. me next time you plan on being up at the lake and I will be more than happy to meet up with you and show you how. I pretty much live up here all summer so anytime is good for me.

As Mike F also said go to AJ's and ask him all the questions you want. He is a great guy and his knowledge of the lake and what works is second to none. He will steer you in the right direction on lures, line, swivels and everything else that works.

Enjoy your time fishing with your boys and hope you catch a lot of lake trout!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
NBR

Hiring a guide increases your chances greatly. No I'm not a guide. They are on the water almost every day and stay in touch with the fish. The site MikeF sent you too will have some guides listed. You will learn alot to use on yur own trips. I'd suggest a full day for best value but half days are lower in cost.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote