Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
two_girls

Default A Pup Is NOT A Toy Public Service Initiative

After losing an eight-week old Golden Retriever puppy, named 'Monty,' in a tragic incident involving injuries caused by a 10 year old neighbor, here in the Lakes Region on Half Moon Lake in Alton, an initiative has been established to educate children and their parents in the treatment of 'baby' puppies.

A Web site (with an accompanying blog), http://www.pup-not-a-toy.com/ is already up and running though it is still in its early stages. A Facebook page, accessible from the Web site, is also available and already has 'members.' You can read about Monty and see pictures of him on the Web site.

Given that there is a writer in the family, it is anticipated that a 'A Pup Is NOT A Toy' book will be available sometime in the future.

Here is some history of how this happened for those who have asked.
This tragedy happened with both adults there and the parent of the child who caused the irreparable injury. I was on the beach speaking to a parent, my husband was in the lake talking with the parent of the child who caused the death of our pup. Our two children were there as well. The child took the pup into the water and dropped it in the water (squirming all the time) andthe pup was forced to swim to shore. I looked up just in time to see the puppy being dropped into the water and start swimming at which time I ran into the water to get the pup and tell the child that we do not take a puppy into the water without asking us (the owners). I had only looked away for a few brief seconds. If you have children or pets we all know what can happen in those few precious seconds. Obviously we did not expect this to happen, we do take responsibility, however, if this child had been educated on the handling of pups this tragedy could have possibly been prevented. The child was a 10 y/o girl who is a neighbor and goes to school with my children. We later found out that this child had no experience with dogs. With this being the case this child should not have been near this puppy to begin with. There are arguments that could trail in all directions with this, however we are not here to argue, we are here to educate so this does not happen again. Thank you.

To promote this initiative 'A Pup Is NOT A Toy' bumper stickers have been produced and are available through the Website at no cost. The only request is that the stickers are displayed for others to see, since the goal is to spread the message that a pup is not a stuffed toy or a beach ball.

A primary goal is to make sure that kids of all ages know that they should never pick up a pup that is not their own without asking the owner. Young puppies can be easily hurt if picked up improperly. This is basically what this initiative is all about. Just as kids are taught not to talk to strangers, they should also learn that young puppies, though awfully cute and playful, are very delicate and are definitely not toys.

This is a self-funded initiative. Resources will be provided to help get the message out. If you want to get involved in any way visit the Web site or Facebook. The bottom line is to avoid the type of fatal injury sustained by Monty.

9/28/2011 "A Pup Is NOT A Toy" book is now available, just go to http://www.pup-not-a-toy.com/, to find out how you can purchase one. We are not making lots of money on these, but what we do make goes into our fund to help promote this cause. Thank you.

Last edited by two_girls; 09-28-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Book now available
two_girls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two_girls For This Useful Post:
JayDV (09-09-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (09-20-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
codeman671

While I own a golden (my favorite breed) and am truly sympathetic about your situation and loss, is this truly related to the Lakes Region or the sub topic WINNI PETS?
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
two_girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
While I own a golden (my favorite breed) and am truly sympathetic about your situation and loss, is this truly related to the Lakes Region or the sub topic WINNI PETS?
ABSOLUTELY! As you see this happened right here in the lakes region at Half Moon Lake in Alton, NH. So yes, in our eyes this is totally related to the Lakes Region as we have made our lives here for many, many years along with our family and the many golden's we've had over the past 20+ years. Although this could pertain to any region, we are local so we have begun spreading the word "locally".

Thank you kindly for your question.
two_girls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two_girls For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (09-09-2011), KPW (09-19-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Argie's Wife

Thumbs up

What a tragic loss. It was so hard to read the blog about Monty and what happened to him.

I've trained my boys (ages 10 and 6) to NEVER approach a pet without asking the owner's permission, and to never pick up a pet without asking first - they've known since they were tots that we're always kind to animals. But I was also raised that way - my parents were in animal control for our home town. Kids have to be trained early how to treat and care for pets.

I applaud the owner of the blog for turning this horrible event into an educational opportunity! That takes bravery and dedication on her part - kudos to her!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
two_girls (09-10-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
JDeere

So, sorry! Good job on educating or least trying to educate people.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
two_girls (09-10-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

You should suggest a show on this subject to the Animal Planet channel on TV.

I have trained dogs for a long time and it always amazed me that people go and get a puppy for a young child whom has no idea of how to treat or train it.
I always suggested that no child under the age of 12 should get a puppy.
And only with solid adult supervision and education.

Great thread subject. It would have been nice to have had more of the history first then the sell. It is one of those "Closet" subjects that people just don't like to think actually goes on. But we have seen on the news in the past, burnt cats, puppies dropped off roofs etc. Of course I always blame the parents for lack of supervision. But that is just me.

Once the bumper stickers are out you should see if the local vets and animal clinics would hand them out. If I were still in the business I would, certainly.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
two_girls (09-28-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
DDBmom

Thank you for turning such a tragic event into an opportunity to educate! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and agree that getting a puppy when you have young children ends up taking more time than a lot of people realize. Having children myself and working with animals for a large portion of my life we have always rescued older adult dogs. But again that too can be tricky because they can be set in their ways at that point (the dogs). We have had excellent luck and maybe now that my boys are older the next dog we rescue will be a puppy.
DDBmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DDBmom For This Useful Post:
two_girls (09-28-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I always suggested that no child under the age of 12 should get a puppy.
I don't want to derail this thread from it's intended purpose, but your comment reminded me of something child related that I recently read.
A forum member on another site I read at frequently, wanted to know if 12 months old was to young an age, to buy his son his first motorcycle What on earth makes parents think that children not even old enough to wipe their own butt or even poop in a toilet for that fact are old enough for pets and motorcycles !!!

What ails people ? Is simple Common Sense That non existent in society !!
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBmom View Post
Thank you for turning such a tragic event into an opportunity to educate! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and agree that getting a puppy when you have young children ends up taking more time than a lot of people realize. Having children myself and working with animals for a large portion of my life we have always rescued older adult dogs. But again that too can be tricky because they can be set in their ways at that point (the dogs). We have had excellent luck and maybe now that my boys are older the next dog we rescue will be a puppy.
It's good to rescue adult dogs from kennels. They then get to live THEIR life with some dignity and happiness.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
dpg

What ails people ? Is simple Common Sense That non existent in society !!

Yup!!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
ChocolateGypsy

Do you think you could expand this campaign at some point to "A PET is not a toy" so that other mishandled animals could be included in the education?

There's a reason we refer to them as "pets" and not "toys." And that 10 yr old is old enough to understand it... (must've been raised near high tension wires.) I'm sorry this happened and it shouldn't have, but thank you for being proactive.

I added the book to my Amazon shopping list.

Best wishes.

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
Plumberswife

I am so very sorry for your loss, just absolutely tragic. My heart breaks for you and yours. I want to thank you for trying to educate people about this matter. I believe that it truly starts with t eh Parents and teaching children right from wrong, which seems to be a lost art if you ask me.