Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default building Winni Sailing

There was a story in yesterday's LaDaSun about the Winnipesaukee Sailing Assoc, based at Fay's Boat Yard and how the number of young sailors has increased. It talks about youth sailing and the big local Laconia-Gilford interest, and two 16' sail boats designed for use by blind and physically handicapped kids. A new sailing building and mooring field is proposed as a joint effort by the State of NH, Winni Sailing Assoc, and contributors at the west end of Ellacoya State Park, I believe in the corner of the beach close to Scenic Drive.

I haven't got the time to post the article now, plus I have to go find yesterday's paper, so will post it later on.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-23-2007 at 11:56 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Community Sailing

Efforts like this are a good thing. I Have lived on Lake Champlain, where sailing is far more popular, there are many clubs on the lake, as well as many community sailing ventures. The City of Burlington, has a very well outfited community boat house, and of course has a couple of boats set up for the handicap. Things like this build a sense of community.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Dug Friday's newspaper out of the kitchen trash...very interesting news item....would like to see it get built....community sailing opens the lake to local kids & adults who don't have a Winnipesaukee boat opportunity.

www.lwsa.org

Winni sailing sees new facility at Ellacoya

By Michael Kitch
The Laconia Daily Sun

GILFORD-The Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association, Inc which has taught sailing to youngsters and sponsored sailing races for 20 years, is planning to build a new facility at Ellacoya State Park and expand its offerings to include adult sailing lessons and an adaptive program, which will introduce sailing to those with physical and mental disabilities.

Tom Mullen, who chairs the association's Sailing Center Development Committee, said yesterday that discussions were underway with the Division of Parks and Recreation of the New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development (DRED) about siting a faciliy at the westernmost edge of the park where the beach meets Scenic Drive. He stressed that negotiations with state officials were still in the early stages, but that the site is being surveyed and the facility designed "with DRED's blessing."

The project, Mullen explained, would include construction of a breakwater, dug-in boat basin, docking facilities, launching ramp and a small building that would double as a classroom in the summer and storehouse in the winter. Mullen said that the association hopes to sail from its new home port in the summer of 2009.

Mullen estimated the cost of the project at $1-million, half of which will be defrayed by in-kind contributions of services and materials from members while the balance will be raised friom corporate sponsors, individuals donors and local communities. He noted that because the association is a charity, all contributions are tax deductible.

"We're going to tap the communities around the lake on the shoulder." Mullen said, adding that each of the eight municipalities bordering the lake would be asked to contribute $10,000 toward the project. The association intends to place warrant articles on the ballots for town meetings in March.

This week Mullen pitched the Gilford Board of Selectmen. "I'm frankly asking for your support," he told the board. Chairman Alice
Boucher expressed concern that "everyone of us is involved in one way or another with the Winnipesaukee Yacht Club and we may have a conflict of interest."

Mullen replied that the association's relationship with the yacht club was "informal, with no ties that bind. I don't think it's remotely a conflict," he said. He said that he would prefer for the board to present a warrant article, but "if you tell us this is a terrible idea, we will submit a petition."

Town Administrator Evans Juris advised the selectmen that the association should present a petitioned warrant article, but reminded them they were bound to offer their recommendation.

Connie Grant applauded the project, but said she could not recommend contributing taxpayers' dollars to it, especially after "cutting a number of other worthy causes to keep the budget to bare bones."

The board, which earlier in the same meeting agreed to defer its recommendations on warrant articles until it meets in January, advised Mullen that the deadline for the petitioned warrant articles falls on January 8.

Founded in 1988, the association has operated from Fay's Boatyard in Smith Cove and the Winnipesaukee Yacht Club at Saunders Bay during June, July and August. 'We've relied on the good graces of Merrill Fay and the yacht club," Mullen said, "but our programs have outgrown their facilities. We're teaching 200 kids to sail each summer and turning away 200 more. With the new center we can enroll 300 students a year."

Mullen said that the adaptive program will be the first of its kind n New Hampshire. The association plans to begin with a pair of 16-foot sailboats equipped with computer assisted controls, which Mullen said enable individuals with the most severe disabilities to enjoy sailing. "The blind, paraplegics even quadriplegics can sail these boats," he said." Sailing offers them a freedom they don't have off the water."

The center will be named in honor of David Adams of Alton, a graduate and instructor of the associations Youth Sailing Academy who raced competitively at the University of New Hampshire and claimed several Junior National and Junior Olympic titles before he lost a valiant struggle with cancer more than a year ago.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
The Laconia Daily Sun
Friday Dec 21, 2007

by Michael Kitch

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-23-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
fatlazyless

PS

If anyone wants to make a tax deductible contribution before this year ends, they can mail it to

Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association
71 Varney Point Rd
Gilford NH 03246

www.lwsa.org

As a member of the waterfront poor, about all I can afford is the $11.75 that's in my wallet but I am happy to donate it. Surely, some of you other water-fronters can top that?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-23-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
jonr

Default correct address for donations

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
PS

If anyone wants to make a tax deductible contribution before this year ends, they can mail it to

Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association
71 Varney Point Rd
Gilford NH 03246
Thank you for your support. Please send any contributions to the LWSA's address below not the address listed above (which is Fay's).

Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association, Inc.
PO Box 7047
Gilford NH 03247

or you can donate online at:

http://www.lwsa.org//store/index.php?cPath=3

with some general info about donations/membership at:

http://www.lwsa.org/support.php
jonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
fatlazyless

As reported by The Laconia Citizen...

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...720/-1/citizen
''''''''''''''''''
Oops, my link does not work, again. Can someone help me out by posting a working link to the Dec 21 Citizen article, or just google 'ellacoya sailing winnipesaukee.' The artcle says they need $150,000. to purchase the two 16' 'technology laden' sail boats plus other sail boats.

Hey, maybe just a 30 year old Mirrocraft 12' aluminum row boat, the fixer-upper type you find for $150. at yard sales, would be ok for the blind and physically impaired. They work very good with some new paint, leaks repaired, and new wood oars; they put you out on the water, and actually give you probably way more exercise than a $50,000., or so, computer controlled adaptive 16' sailboat. Those little, tired old 12' row boats work good, and besides they give you a sense a being close to the water that you just don't get in a large 16' sailboat.

After all, Ellacoya State Park is the one and only NH state park beach area on Winnipesaukee.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-27-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
lakegirl

Default Stop the Sail Boats

This is not a good thing. That beach should be preserved for all to use. This proposal would turn a beautiful state beach into a country club. It is my understanding that the " investor" is using these children as a way to get what he wants.... a place for him to put his expensive toys. Sorry.... look for another way to get a tax deduction. :-) Sorry... had to put in my 2 cents. There is more to this story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lakegirl For This Useful Post:
Herburban (07-13-2011), Never Satisfied (08-13-2011)
Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
nvtngtxpyr

Thumbs down There must be a better site than a public beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegirl View Post
This is not a good thing. That beach should be preserved for all to use. This proposal would turn a beautiful state beach into a country club. It is my understanding that the " investor" is using these children as a way to get what he wants.... a place for him to put his expensive toys. Sorry.... look for another way to get a tax deduction. :-) Sorry... had to put in my 2 cents. There is more to this story.
I agree with you on this. Their representative has stated that they want to control the boat ramp and increase the boat launch fees to help defray their costs. A pretty cynical way to discourage the public use of public land so that they can use and control access to the lake.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Do Your Homework!

Quote:
You need to do your research before making a comment like this. I have seen the renditions. The State Park and it's beach is not being touched. Only the area directly in front of the existing bath house in front of the RV park is being utilized. The current State Park beach is not being touched!! An improved public ramp and public dock is planned. (There is currently no public dock there now and the ramp (if you want to call it that) is almost unusable! WOW such a bad thing to happen, giving more and better public access!!

I think that your comment that the "investor is using these children as a way to get what he wants.... a place for him to put his expensive toys" is ridiculous and a disgusting comment to make in a public forum. I personally know the "investor" and I can assure you that he does not need a place to put his toys. He is a generous man who has done a lot for the sailing program on the lake. This is being done clearly out of his love for sailing and helping the less fortunate, the disabled and even the "Wounded Warriors" program are now involved.

The sailing program has been on the lake since 1988, they have simply outgrown the current facility and are turning away more kids than ever.

You need to do more research before publicly bashing someone who is trying to do a good thing!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (09-28-2010)
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Here's the state website for www.nhstateparks.com/ellacoya.html. It's waterfront location places it directly onto an open 'big water' area of the lake. Extremely scenic what with its long sandy beach, volleyball court, recreational vehicle campground, large brook that seperates the beach area from the rv area, and terrific views of the open water, islands, & mountains.

The existing boat launch, if one calls it a boat launch, probably requires a four wheel drive vehicle with large tires, and a light weight boat and trailer because it is an unimproved boat launch on the extreme south end of the property. Launching means dragging a trailer across a natural sandy beach and into the lake with no paved ramp....just the sandy beach...to slide a boat into the lake. It is more accurately considered a graded dirt road that stops at the natural sandy beach than to consider it to be a boat launch.

With what has been happening at the Ames farm.....who knows....maybe the state might wish to reconstruct the very flat, and devoid of trees, rv campground into a state boat launch and vehicle-trailer, asphalt paved parking lot. But, this is total conjecture and probably years down the road, with all the pros & cons to be considered and argued?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
jrc

The original thread is almost three years old? Is this still pending or has something been resolved?

What brought this thread back from the dead?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
lakegirl

Default Keep Ellacoya the way it is.

I have done my research on this. :-) I suggest you do the same. The developer has not been honest about his intentions. He is planning to build a 3 story function type facility that will host weddings etc. The beach as it is will never be the same. It is also my understanding that he wants to control the boat ramp. The Ellacoya State Beach is a beautful State Beach... that belongs to us! Let's keep it that way. :-) There is a large group of individuals that have joined forces to keep this project from happening. If you are interested in helping.... please let me know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lakegirl For This Useful Post:
Herburban (07-13-2011), Never Satisfied (08-13-2011), nvtngtxpyr (09-28-2010)
Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Here's what was being proposed back in 2007: www.lwsa.org/sailingcenter/archive/2007/sailin...dang it....not too helpfull

Hello Lakegirl....cannot seem to find any news.....how about a couple of keys words or names ...to aid in locating the latest 2010 www.lwsa.org at Ellacoya State Beach & RV Park proposed sailboat, local youth, teaching facility? thanks! Just reading through these posts here....and it sounds like the proposed local youth sailing school building would be built on the south end of the property, and in front of the 37 campsite, recreational vehicle campground, as opposed to the beach and swimming area up at the north end. Ellacoya State Beach & RV Park includes 65.5 (sixty five & one half) acres of land, with two seperated waterfront beach areas, split into two beach areas by a large in-flowing brook, and different shoreline geography. Hope this helps...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-28-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
lakegirl

FLL... the proposed building will be in the general area where the campers go ( near the existing bath house building). I am looking at a current set of drawings for the function facilitity/pavillion. It is huge. There are plans for a mooring field and boat docks. This will change the whole dynamic of Ellacoya. I can only imagine how much traffic and noise this will generate. Not to mention how much it will change the natural beauty of this part of the lake.

I have been photographing this area for years. I can't imagine ellacoya being filled with boats....and sailboats. To sum it up....it is just wrong.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
ishoot308

Quote:
FLL... the proposed building will be in the general area where the campers go ( near the existing bath house building). I am looking at a current set of drawings for the function facilitity/pavillion. It is huge. There are plans for a mooring field and boat docks. This will change the whole dynamic of Ellacoya. I can only imagine how much traffic and noise this will generate. Not to mention how much it will change the natural beauty of this part of the lake.

I have been photographing this area for years. I can't imagine ellacoya being filled with boats....and sailboats. To sum it up....it is just wrong.
What happened to the three story building you stated in your previous post?? Now it's a one story pavillion?? If you can't win them over with facts scare them over with fiction!

Heaven forbid there are sail boats in the water in front of Ellacoya!

Sheesh, where and when does it end!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #16
lakegirl

Default building

Ishoot

One of his plans (as presented at a meeting) was a three story building. Depending on who he meets with .... his story changes. I was just emailed plans which show it as the one story building. So with that said... The current plans show the large one story building. Who knows when that will change again.

From this point on... the focus will be how to stop the project. Period.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
Ironfish

Quote:
I can only imagine how much traffic and noise this will generate. Not to mention how much it will change the natural beauty of this part of the lake.
Ah yes, those noisy sailboats! .... and there is nothing more offensive than looking out upon a group of small sailboats gliding through the water. The kids laughing, as they drift away from the dock, will probably warrant a new noise ordinance. In fact, we should probably ban all traffic and swimming at Ellacoya, so that your personal enjoyment of the lake takes place unimpeded.

With all due respect Lakegirl, it's a public lake. I don't know all of the facts, but the concept strikes me as a wonderful public benefit (assuming it is open to the public) with an activity that is about as environmentally friendly as they come.

Assuming sound planning to mitigate the impacts of the additional public use, I wish this group the best.
Ironfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Nimby

Lakegirl, your case seems to be one of not in my backyard more than anything else.

If you have a more legitimate gripe than the ones you have presented, by all means, lawyer up and start throwing down roadblocks. You know the outcome already- the lawyers get rich, the project gets built and your wallet gets a lot lighter.

It seems like a great project and a good place for it. I love seeing the kids out sailing.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (07-22-2011)
Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #19
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking LWSA on NH Chronicle

Winnipesaukee Sailing School on NH Chronicle

Nice to see you here again Lakegirl!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #20
OCDACTIVE

Default Thank you Mr. Mullen

I personally want to say that I applaud what Mr. Mullen and his group is doing and trying to accomplish. This is a great organization with the best of intentions in mind. I and SBONH - Safe Boaters of New Hampshire, has full confidence in their plans going forward and will continue to fully support their goals.

Please keep up the GREAT work and let us know what else we can do to assist.
VitaBene (09-29-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
ishoot308

Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I personally want to say that I applaud what Mr. Mullen and his group is doing and trying to accomplish. This is a great organization with the best of intentions in mind. I and SBONH - Safe Boaters of New Hampshire, has full confidence in their plans going forward and will continue to fully support their goals.

Please keep up the GREAT work and let us know what else we can do to assist.
It's nice to see SBONH supporting the sailing community on the lake!! So much more can be accomplished when ALL boaters, whether they are performance, power, sail, or paddle working together for the common goal of safely sharing the lake.

Dan
Old 09-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #22
Tobey

Default What about the CAMPERS

I have been going to the State Beach for years. How will all the RV campers enjoy the peace and serinity of the area if there is continual traffic and noise from weddings and other functions?
How will the campers enjoy the use of the lakeferont with respect to tying the boats up?
How will you get sail boats in there? You have to go out 70+ feet to get 3 feet of water in some spots. The brook that feeds into there is ever changing the depth and "Sandscape" of the area?
I am certainly not opposed to any program such as you offer. I am opposed to what it will do to the State beach and the current users of that area.
Also, as a boater and sailor, I can not imagine this being a desirable area. There is no protective cove and the north West wind rips thru there continually. With a 3 foot draft (or less) you will find less than 6 Inches of water in the continual swells. I have to ask, did you do your homework in researching this spot?

I will be calling and writing the head of the State parks to voice my concern.

Thanks for listening
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #23
ishoot308

Default Really??

Quote:
I have done my research on this. :-) I suggest you do the same. The developer has not been honest about his intentions. He is planning to build a 3 story function type facility that will host weddings etc. The beach as it is will never be the same. It is also my understanding that he wants to control the boat ramp. The Ellacoya State Beach is a beautful State Beach... that belongs to us! Let's keep it that way. :-) There is a large group of individuals that have joined forces to keep this project from happening. If you are interested in helping.... please let me know.
Well you obviously have not done ANY research. Like I said before, I have seen and have a copy of the rendition drawings for the "Adams Memorial Sailing Center". It is a single story open concept pavillion type building. It is not three stories as you have stated in your post. The Ellacoya State Park and it's current beach does not get touched, so once again you are misstating the facts. The facility is trying to be self reliant and self funded so yes renting out the pavilion for weddings etc certainly would be a useful option would it not??.., or maybe you would feel better if your tax dollars paid for all of it...

In regards to the boat ramp, what boat ramp!?? There's nothing there now! Anything that would be built would only be a welcomed sight to the many boaters looking for a place to launch especially since the demise of the public launch at Ames Farm!!

Do you honestly believe that the Adams Memorial Sailing Center is being built so the "investor" has a storage facilty for his own personal toys as stated in your initial post??... Do you realize how illogical that sounds??...

Dan
Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #24
Dean Glow

Quote:
We were at Ellacoya this past week as we have been for the past 12 years and the park manager informed us that the Sail Club was going to aquire the park beach front. Is this still an option? As a Tax payer and citizen of NH we will fight to keep the only State Park on Lake Winnipesaukee. Please update me. Dean Glow-Brookline NH
Dean Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #25
tntm_71we

Default Proposed Sailing Center At Ellacoya

Dear Fellow Posters,

I must apologize for not having involved myself prior to now as this site does a terrific job of addressing issues of great interest to me and to my fellow members of the Lake Winnipesauke Sailing Center. I promise to be more involved from now on.

There was a posting on the site this morning by lakegirl, #7 under "building Winni Sailing", followed almost immediately by another post from nvtngtxpyr. Both posts, especially the one from lakegirl took a number of unpleasant and grossly inaccurate pot shots at me and at our Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association's efforts to locate a sailing center at Ellacoya State Park.

I really don't care about the personal attacks, but I do respectfully object to our plans for a new Sailing Center an Ellacoya being misrepresented. The proposed building will be a single storied structure except for a portion on the end that will be two levels high. The complex will add a badly needed dimension to life on the waters of our treasured lake, and it will offer increased, but controlled public access to the lake for boating activities that are clean and green and fully sustainable. We will teach children and adults how to sail and we will offer an adaptive sailing program for people with disabilities. We will put people who are sight impaired and who are paralyzed from profound injuries and birth defects out on the water giving them a sense of freedom from the constraints they encounter on land. We will give their lives new meaning. One of our strategic partners will be the Wounded Warrior Project and another will be the Easter Seals Society of New Hampshire. The Gunstock Adaptive Skiing program staff has agreed to be active in our new facility along with Ability Plus and Disabled Sports USA.

The new center will be named the LWSA/Adams Memorial Sailing Center in memory of one of our first sailing school students more than twenty years ago when we first began our program. David Adams, whose parents still live in Alton, went on to sail competitively at UNH winning several Junior National titles. He even came back to teach sailing to youngsters in our school program. Sadly, David was fighting a terminal illness for many of the years he was with our organization, but we will keep his spirit alive by naming the new facility in his honor.

The LWSA/Adams Memorial Sailing Center is still very much in the planning stages. Although the Parks and Recreation Division of DRED has given our project a green light to develop our plans and to announce our intentions, we are still a distance away from being approved to begin construction. We have met with our abutters at Lake Shore Park and we have addressed a number of their concerns, but understandably, there is a bit of a "not in my backyard" reaction to our plans and I have no doubt that "lakegirl" is a resident of that community or a friend of one of the owners. I am also happy to say that there are many supporters of our plans that live in this unique community as well. Lake Shore Park has nothing to fear from the new sailing center other than they might now have to share the beauty and the opportunities provided by this unique resource with a few more people than have been there in the past.

We will remain sensitive to all of Lake Shore Park's legitimate concerns, but Ellacoya belongs to the people of the entire State of New Hampshire -- it is not Lake Shore Park's private domain. For most of the Park's residents, the new Sailing Center will offer an attractive amenity for children and adults alike. When and if our plans are finally approved, the LWSA's use of this resource will be reasonable and sensitive to all of its neighbors concerns, but we will not stand by and allow anyone to misrepresent our group's plans and aspirations. I have spent the last five years looking for a site for this center and testing the waters to be sure there's a need for what we offer. Ellacoya is the right location and now is the right time to build this important new addition to what the area has to offer residents and visitors alike.

This past year we taught over 200 area children how to sail out of logistically tight quarters and in an area of the lake that is far from ideal, if not downright dangerous for the children involved. We scholarship children into our program if there's a need for assistance. We have a demand from adults who want to learn how to sail, but we have no facility suitable for this purpose. Unfortunately we do have a demand for an adaptive program, but we lack the equipment and a location. The LWSA is serious about its commitment to bring such a facility to Lake Winnipesaukee. We will be an asset to the entire lake as well as an asset to Lake Shore Park. We will meet anyone, anywhere and at any time who wants to see our plans and learn more about our programs. I can be reached by phone at 603-759-2510 or on line at tntmullen@owlsnestgolf.com . A pamphlet on the Center and a photo that sums up everything I said in two words -- "GONE SAILING!' are attached. Need I say more!

Sincerely,

Thomas N.T. Mullen, President
Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association, Inc.
A 501(c)(3) Charitable Corporation www.lwsa.org
Attached Images
File Type: pdf amended2010lwsabrochureppdfformat.pdf (384.0 KB, 1341 views)
File Type: pdf Gone Sailing Photo.pdf (1.36 MB, 979 views)
tntm_71we is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tntm_71we For This Useful Post:
Ironfish (09-28-2010), ishoot308 (09-28-2010), islandboater (08-05-2013), Lucky1 (09-30-2010), no-engine (09-30-2010)
Old 09-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #26
fatlazyless

From what I know about the beach and grass field/tree area in the vicinity of the rv campground's large, seasonal bathroom/showerhouse, that seems like an excellent spot to create a sailing school. On a scale from 1-10, it gets a 10, all things considered.

It is an extremely picturesque spot, and at the same time as a state beach & rv park, the beach area and seasonal bathroom/showerhouse building and immediate land does not give the user-public very much use. It is an under utilized piece of Winni waterfront state land, and building a sailing school sure seems like an excellent use for that spot.

The sailing beach in front of the rv campground is not as nice as the Ellacoya State Beach swimming beach, about 100-300 yards up the shore and across the brook, and is much narrower in width. It is relatively narrow, and slants back to zero width as it approaches the Poor Farm Brook, that seperates the sailing beach from the swimming beach. Someone sometime, many years ago, built a poured concrete retainer wall that seperates the sandy sailing beach from the flat grassy in-field area that surrounds the bathroom/showerhouse building. The concrete waterfront retainer wall must be about a continuous 200 yards long, and about three to four feet high. The area transitions from green grass in-filled with some nice trees, to the retainer wall, to the narrow sandy beach, to the big wide open Lake Winnipesaukee.

One has to love that spot for it definately has to be a spot to catch the wind.....talk about a spot that is home to the wind....that location has to be a good windy area.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #27
RI Swamp Yankee

Does NH allow building private facilities on state park land?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #28
lakegirl

Wink

Mr. Mullen....

I have grown up on this great lake. I like many other people do not approve of what you are proposing. That is my right. As an abutter of your proposed facility.... I also have the right to speak my mind.

As one person.... my voice probably wont be heard....but as a group... not just Lake Shore Park...but people that camp there and have for many years...residents on Shore Road and other residents of the town... or voices will speak volumes. We may not win....be will fight to the end. Again, that is our right. We want to preserve what is there.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #29
tntm_71we

Default Thanks For Chiming In.....

Quote:
Mr. Mullen....

I have grown up on this great lake. I like many other people do not approve of what you are proposing. That is my right. As an abutter of your proposed facility.... I also have the right to speak my mind.

As one person.... my voice probably wont be heard....but as a group... not just Lake Shore Park...but people that camp there and have for many years...residents on Shore Road and other residents of the town... or voices will speak volumes. We may not win....be will fight to the end. Again, that is our right. We want to preserve what is there.
Dear Lakegirl,

Lakegirl, you are exercising your right to speak your mind and I would be the last person to ever try to infringe on that right. The folks at Lake Shore Park (LSP) have been there for decades and clearly our new Sailing Center will change the landscape. I understand and respect the concerns of those residents and the LWSA will do all it possibly can to have its impact on Lake Shore Park be a positive one.

I don't see us impacting the LSP residents' privacy very much because I don't think folks move there with privacy as one of their primary objectives. Every time I've been inside LSP, it appears as though it's one big, happy summer camp with kids everywhere, and I mean everywhere. The presence of LSP and the large number of youngsters present on that property is one of the reasons the LWSA wants to have its Youth Sailing School at Ellacoya. We'll have a built in source of students and our programs will add a new and very positive dimension to life in that community, not just for the youngsters, but for the adults as well.

Ellacoya is not a perfect venue for our needs. There will be days when our sailing activities will have to occur on dry land as there is much we can do to teach sailing without being on the water. Over our nearly 30-year history teaching sailing, we have learned to deal with situations in which the wind is too high and too low. We can tow our boats to sheltered areas when the winds are too high and for years we have been towing our boats out of Smith Cove in order to find wind. As for water depths, Ellacoya is ideal. Our boats are all shallow draft with drop down centerboards or dagger boards. With the boards up, we draw less than a foot and with boards down, we don't draw more than three feet. Another plus feature of the waters off Ellacoya, if a boat goes over, in most cases a student can stand on the bottom and get back into the boat.

As for the campers, the LWSA intends to incorporate their needs and desires into our logistics and I have no doubt they will find us to be pleasant co-habitants of that lake frontage. First of all, we'll be providing the campers with a viable new alternative for launching their boats. They will actually have a decent ramp with a dock adjacent to the ramp so they can launch a boat and then have something to tie it up to while they go park. LSP should like this because a common complaint has been the fact that many times, newly launched boats drift accross the LSP floating swim line while the boat owner was off parking the trailer. That won't happen anymore!

Secondly, we may be able to provide reliable moorings and or docks for the RV Park residents while they are staying at Ellacoya and they will all be able to make use of our programs. I can see the day when many of the park's RV campers will arrange to have their visits coincide with a particular activity that will be going on at the Sailing Center.

Lazygirl, I have complete respect for your right to voice your opinions and to stand fast to your principles. I hope I can direct your energies at some point in time into support for what the LWSA is proposing and if you keep an open mind, I think we'll have a decent shot at accomplishing this objective. If we can't swing you over to our way of thinking, I promise you we'll listen carefully and thoughtfully to all of your concerns and then try to address them as best we can as we structure our programs.

Lastly, someone asked how can a private business use State of NH land. The answer is simple. The LWSA is not a private business, it is a public, not for profit 501(c)(3) entity. The precise manner in which the LWSA will have the opportunity to use State land is yet to be resolved, but we will most likely have something like a Special Use Permit with many conditions that we must adhere to in order to have the privilege of being in that location. There are many similiar arrangements currently in place elsewhere around New Hampshire so we will not be breaking new ground.

I am available by phone if anyone wishes to contact me to discuss our plans and we will be looking for lots of help getting the facility built. Please call my cell phone at 603-759-2510 and thanks for lending an eye to this message and an ear to our need for assistance. I can also be reached by e-mail at tntmullen@owlsnestgolf.com .

Regards,

Tom Mullen
tntm_71we is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tntm_71we For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-30-2010), Lucky1 (09-30-2010), Reilly (10-24-2010)
Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #30
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Does NH allow building private facilities on state park land?
I am still wondering. Most states don't allow someone to build facilities on State Park land.