Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Atlantic Broadband Outage ?

Doe anyone know if there is Atlantic Broadband outage in the Gilford area?

I have Atlantic B.B. at my Gilford house and have been away from property for a few days, my security cameras' don't seem to be working and are attached to the Internet.

I've called Atlantic B.B. but haven't been able to speak to anyone, but held in the queue for over 30 min, so just hung up ! Their Customer service is really bad !!!!!

Anyone in Gilford with Atlantic B.B. having similar issues with the Internet today ?

Last edited by bigdog; 03-07-2021 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
WinterHarborGuy

Default Abb

I’m on the other side of the lake with Atlantic BB, and I can tell you that EVERY day for the last month, my wifi drops at least once for 10 min. Usually afternoons.

Haven't seen a total outage of several hours for a few months. But the daily drops are annoying.
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
Charlie T

Default Abb

I too have ABB at my lake property. I've found that if you don't power cycle the cable modem on a regular basis it will lock up and leave you without internet or telephone. I purchased an inexpensive electronic timer that I've programmed to shut off the cable modem and router for 1 min in the middle of the night. This power cycle has (so far) eliminated the routine lockups of these devices.

Make sure you get a full electronic timer. The mechanical one that operate off a motor, typically have a minimum 30 minute interval between an off and on cycle, the electronic ones allow for a 1 minute interval
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
Crusty (03-07-2021), Heaven (03-09-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
Bear Islander

Starting March 4, Atlantic Broadband is migrating to new IP addresses. According to them my static IP will change sometime in the next week.

So I guess it's not really static, is it.

I don't know if this is your problem, but it could be.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
map

I’m in the Weirs and no issues.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2021, 12:02 AM   #6
mswlogo

I've had Atlantic Broad Band for years and I've had a few incidents but not many.

One thing I did learn recently is the routers and modems do NOT like getting cold.

I was having issues as the cabin got close to freezing and it was because it was to cold. I put the router, modem, smartthings hub and base station in a foam cooler with an extra layer of rigid insulation. It has not dropped below 32F since and it's been great. There is probably 40 watts in the box The whole house is pulling 60 watts and that is most of it.

I also put a 15watt LED smartbulb in the box as backup heat that I can turn on remotely and monitor the temp with another smart device. I used 1 night (the night the lakes finally froze up).

I need to get up there quick once things warm up because I'm worried the components will fry if it hit's 70F in the cabin.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-07-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:45 AM   #7
fatlazyless

What am I doing ........ I'm waiting patiently for NH Electric Coop to bring their wifi to the Meredith neck area?

Maybe the proposed, very quiet, serene Cushing Rd, 55-acre, 17-homes, loop road development would power up the Electric Coop's drive to bring wifi way down the bottom of the neck, here?

Bring it here ....... development is in the air!

If nothing else, a new loop road down here would definitely be a happening ride to go pedal a bicycle for the locals .... a new place to go ... and then returneth home to ye internet.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-08-2021 at 08:40 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #8
longislander

Fiber + Fixed Wireless

https://www.firstlight.net/hub66-lev...ternet-access/

https://www.hub66.com/wireless-fiber...-hampshire-nh/

https://www.cellmapper.net/map

Hub66 is already in Moultonborough; fixed wireless. They're using cell towers.
When I called them here (Neck road), couldn't use (for now) because of trees/ line-of sight.

However, they were not aware of SBA cell tower here on the Neck road., and was a pleasant surprised for them. They are supposed to check with SBA if they can put an antenna there (loaded now). They did come out to check out availability.

I'm using Spectrum (FTTH) now, but am still interested in costs and competition. Actually, even queried Starlink. They said beta was available, but I wasn't willing to spend $499 for the equipment and the $50 shipping, to play with it.
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #9
jimkberry

Default Starlink on Meredith Neck

Been using Starlink for a few weeks now. It requires a pretty good-sized area of Northern sky and might not be for everyone, but we've discontinued our ABB service and gone with it exclusively.

It IS technically in beta test, so every now and again there's a few seconds of "beta downtime" but even this past week - when 3 of the days included 4-hour Zoom conference sessions - it was fine. It'll only get better as more satellites become operational.

In fairness to ABB, their service for the past 5 years has been pretty good (hint: do not use their default DNS servers) but, well: rocket company vs. cable company.
jimkberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:14 PM   #10
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkberry View Post
Been using Starlink for a few weeks now. It requires a pretty good-sized area of Northern sky and might not be for everyone, but we've discontinued our ABB service and gone with it exclusively.

It IS technically in beta test, so every now and again there's a few seconds of "beta downtime" but even this past week - when 3 of the days included 4-hour Zoom conference sessions - it was fine. It'll only get better as more satellites become operational.

In fairness to ABB, their service for the past 5 years has been pretty good (hint: do not use their default DNS servers) but, well: rocket company vs. cable company.
I didn’t know it was available yet.
I just checked $100/mo seems a little pricey.

I pay $49/mo Fios. It never goes down, ever. 75mbs down and up. 6ms ping
I forget what we pay ABB a little more for a little less speed. Something like $60 for 50/50 I think.

I’m on Zoom all day which uses a fraction of the bandwidth. And watch 4K Netflix or Amazon Prime which requires 32mbs without a glitch.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Doe anyone know if there is Atlantic Broadband outage in the Gilford area?

I have Atlantic B.B. at my Gilford house and have been away from property for a few days, my security cameras' don't seem to be working and are attached to the Internet.

I've called Atlantic B.B. but haven't been able to speak to anyone, but held in the queue for over 30 min, so just hung up ! Their Customer service is really bad !!!!!

Anyone in Gilford with Atlantic B.B. having similar issues with the Internet today ?
They always have outages, most momentary but we get them near daily.

Good news is Comcast is finally in Gilford, so it's time to switch.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
Bucky1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterHarborGuy View Post
I’m on the other side of the lake with Atlantic BB, and I can tell you that EVERY day for the last month, my wifi drops at least once for 10 min. Usually afternoons.

Haven't seen a total outage of several hours for a few months. But the daily drops are annoying.

I had the same problem Every 10 Min wifi would fail
Bucky1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bucky1818 For This Useful Post:
Heaven (05-05-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #13
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

ABB has been doing infrastructure upgrades\replacements over the past year or so which likely explains the quick but frequent loss of signal.

The nice thing is that with it comes increased speeds and hopefully better stability. My service was recently bumped from 100mbps to 250 at no additional charge. It seems that my service since being bumped has been far more stable than prior.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:17 PM   #14
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1818 View Post
I had the same problem Every 10 Min wifi would fail
ABB is a cable network provider, not a WiFi Provider.

If you decided to buy or rent their crap hardware that’s on you.
Most providers routers are crap.

I use my own modem and router on ABB as well as my own router with FIOS and it never has any issues.

I work from home as a software engineer with constant traffic and video conference and there are no issues.

You have an in house issue, not a ABB issue.

For the record I have a Net Gear Nighthawk CM1200 Modem. One that ABB listed.
And a RT-AC88U ASUS Router. ASUS Routers are great for many reasons.
I have to configure a few things manually or everything won’t work right.

For example I have to set Channel width to 20 MHz. If my Bryant thermostat sees 40Mhz (option) it won’t connect.

I always run 2.4 and 5.0Ghz on two separate SSID. Most routers combine them by default. This gives a lot of devices fits. 2.4 has more range but slower. So I put the right devices on the network they are most suited for. This solves lots of problems.

I also scan the local area for the quietest 2.4 channel and set the channel to that manually. Auto causes problems with some devices.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #15
CampEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkberry View Post

Are you maintaining your Zoom calls for the entire time? I find my Starlink drops me for 5-20 seconds every 30 minutes or so. I suspect it may happen when it's jumping to a new satellite but am not sure. Would be great if I could get it to stay connected on a Zoom for at least an hour...
CampEye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CampEye For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #16
longislander

Quote:
SpaceX Starlink Now Has 500K Pre-Orders, Musk Says No Problem Meeting That Demand

https://www.telecompetitor.com/space...g-that-demand/
Old 05-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #17
longislander

Quote:
Ookla Finds Starlink Speeds Would Have Trouble Meeting FCC RDOF Requirements
Quote:
... Telecompetitor checked with Ookla about the correct interpretation of the speed test data a ...

https://www.telecompetitor.com/ookla...-requirements/
Old 05-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #18
CowTimes

I have seen a few references to the Hub66 wireless high speed internet, and it piqued my interest and have been looking into it. Does anyone here have experience with it? Particularly with zoom/video calls and whether there are any issues like there seem to be with satellite?
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #19
Mike

As an islander, I too have struggled finding a viable internet provider. Have had Hughes satellite for a couple of years. While it works well, I'm not a fan of the data limits. The long latency due to the round trip to the satellite makes video conferencing a pain. It also has had big issues since the pandemic as everyone started hitting it hard and speeds dropped significantly.

I did decide to give Starlink a shot. Its low earth orbit satellite network eliminates the latency issue and speeds are really good (supposedly will improve with time). The issue I have is a lack of really clear northern sky. I'm in "obstructed" zones a 1/4 to 1/2 the time making it unviable. I could attempt to clear trees to improve the view or wait for more Starlink satellites to come online, both of which will improve the situation, but not sure I have the desire or patience for that.

NH Electric Coop has begun rolling out broadband service, but they are doing it in a phased approach over years. Given the infrastructure cost of getting lines out to the islands, I suspect we may be the last ones to get service, if ever.

I was alerted to the (recent, I believe) efforts of Hub66 to bring service to the islands, in particular. It is fiber on land and then wireless to the islands. It's the most pricey option and I've been told the bandwidth you get will depend a lot on environmentals (e.g. tree coverage). I did express interest via a form on their website which I believe will get them to evaluate my location and see what is viable. Keeping my fingers crossed on this option. https://www.hub66.com/winniislands#signup

-Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote