Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Boat For Bird & Wildlife Photography

I am looking into buying a small boat for bird and wildlife photography, e.g. loons, other water fowl and Eagles. I have been toying with the idea of buying one of these and rigging it so I could lay flat on my stomach while I maneuver with an electric motor. Curious if anyone on here has any experience doing this that you could share. Also, if anyone wanted to take me out on their boat I would be more than happy to provide you with nice prints of what I capture.

http://youtu.be/OprJtFRHWtk
Old 06-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Dave R

Native Watercraft makes pedal powered kayaks that are perfect for photography since you can keep at least one hand free.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
brk-lnt

If you want to spend a day shooting around the lake I'll take you for a ride sometime. Week days are better for me, and I'd love a good excuse to dust off my old 5D and grab some shots.
Airedale1 (06-12-2014), trfour (06-13-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
I am looking into buying a small boat for bird and wildlife photography, e.g. loons, other water fowl and Eagles. I have been toying with the idea of buying one of these and rigging it so I could lay flat on my stomach while I maneuver with an electric motor. Curious if anyone on here has any experience doing this that you could share. Also, if anyone wanted to take me out on their boat I would be more than happy to provide you with nice prints of what I capture.

http://youtu.be/OprJtFRHWtk
Google the below. They are expensive but pretty slick watercraft. You wouldn't be able to lie flat but by paddling slowly with your feet you would be silent. I see fishermen with these and they are impressive. Good luck.

HOBIE MIRAGE SPORT PEDAL KAYAK - 2013
by Hobie
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
If you want to spend a day shooting around the lake I'll take you for a ride sometime. Week days are better for me, and I'd love a good excuse to dust off my old 5D and grab some shots.
Thank you so much for your generous offer. I would love to get out there, especially with a fellow Canon shooter. Currently I have a 40D and a 7D but my next body will be a 5D MkII. The 5D is a great full frame camera.

I too have better availability during the week. I am retired but still work part-time. I will know my hours for next week later today and hopefully we will be able to get together on a good day. I will PM you with my days off and contact info.

Again, thank you very much.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
fatlazyless

www.paddleboston.com has a Paddle King PK-3000, 12' aluminum pontoon-two person, foot pedal boat from their rental fleet; a fixer-upper for sure, and now up for sale with three photos to view its condition for just $300, (msrp new is about $2175) at their Charles River waterfront boathouse location, in the Auburndale section of Newton, Mass, next to the Boston (in Newton) Marriott Hotel there, which is very directly close to Route 95, and about 15-miles west of Boston.

To see it, just google "paddleboston.com Paddle King PK-3000 rental pedal boat for sale $300" It seems to be impossible to find the page unless you use google?

It don't look too bad in the photos, and could be good with an electric trolling motor so's it could be peddled, motored, and paddled all at the same time with a long kayak double paddle......maybe rig up a gaff rigged sail as well.....whoa....what a boat....and just three hundred bucks to go grab it .... such-a-deal!