Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
tig1142

Default "Boat N Picnic"

Kinda of new to Winni. Does anyone know if there is a place that we could dock or anchor our boat and have a nice picnic on shore. Bringing my family up next week and was just wondering. Not sure if public land allows for this.

Thanks!
tig1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
AmantiDelLago

Try Ragged Island. Or Stonedam Island....nice trails

Last edited by AmantiDelLago; 08-30-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: needed to add more
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
pjard

You could do this at almost any of the town docks around the lake. What is your departure piont?
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
camp guy

Default Boat n' Picnic

The Wolfeboro Town Docks provide a great place to do what you want to do. Adjacent to the docking area there is a large Town park, complete with benches and a gazebo. And, as an added bonus, across the parking lot there are public restrooms.

Once you have had lunch, and feel the need to "walk it off", one block inland is the downtown complete with stores, more restaurants, and more restrooms.

If you need more food staples, there is a food store about 100 yards from the dock.

Not a bad place to include in your vacation itinerary.

Also, as you leave Wolfeboro Town Docks there are several places to buy fuel and other marine supplies.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
CTYankee

Default Ragged Island

I second Ragged Island. The island is open to the public and a new dock has been installed - although it offers space for a limited number of boats. The island is level and offers great swimming, trails, and picnic spots.
CTYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Bmcgov78

Since I go through the hole in the wall often i'm guessing the public dock is on the west side of ragged since i always see boats anchored there, although i never noticed a dock. So where is the public dock on Stonedam Island? Is it true that 5 mile island is also open to the public? And if so where is the dock for that? Gonna be up for 4 days with out the family so i like to do recon for next seasons boating.
Bmcgov78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
The Wolfeboro Town Docks provide a great place to do what you want to do. Adjacent to the docking area there is a large Town park, complete with benches and a gazebo. And, as an added bonus, across the parking lot there are public restrooms.

Once you have had lunch, and feel the need to "walk it off", one block inland is the downtown complete with stores, more restaurants, and more restrooms.

If you need more food staples, there is a food store about 100 yards from the dock.

Not a bad place to include in your vacation itinerary.

Also, as you leave Wolfeboro Town Docks there are several places to buy fuel and other marine supplies.
Good thing he is coming after Labor Day. We just went by the W. Town Docks and there were 13 boats waiting to dock.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Aguamenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Good thing he is coming after Labor Day. We just went by the W. Town Docks and there were 13 boats waiting to dock.
We just got back from lunch at Dockside. We watched several boats wait and then leave without ever getting a spot. Crazy busy out there today.
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
tis

Yes, Aqua, but I have seen it a lot busier!!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Blanchard Island

is another great spot for a picnic lunch. The park next to the Meredith town docks has picnic tables. So do the Center Harbor docks.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
tig1142

Thanks for the info guys!! So we are departing from Wolfboro. The town docks seem like a good spot. Ragged Island sounds great as well. Not sure where that is but I probably can find it. I guessing it won't be to busy the days after Labor Day??
tig1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig1142 View Post
Kinda of new to Winni. Does anyone know if there is a place that we could dock or anchor our boat and have a nice picnic on shore. Bringing my family up next week and was just wondering. Not sure if public land allows for this.

Thanks!
tig1142, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

You and the family have a blast and be safe while enjoying the lake.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
tis

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys!! So we are departing from Wolfboro. The town docks seem like a good spot. Ragged Island sounds great as well. Not sure where that is but I probably can find it. I guessing it won't be to busy the days after Labor Day??
No, after Labor Day it is like somebody turned the switch off. Actually it is a beautiful time of year. If it is a warm Sept., it is perfect for boating.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Orion

Default ragged

Quote:
Ragged is a beautiful resource for boaters. It's between Cow and Sandy islands. Docks are on east side. There's even a LRCT building near the docks wi a huge covered porch if the weather gets bad. Nice beaches on the south side as well.

Yes, can't wait until Tuesday when we can reclaim the Lake and go out on the boat more....it's a whole different lake in the late summer and fall!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-02-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
camp guy

Default Boat n' Picnic

After this weekend you can park anywhere you want, upside down and backwards, and no one will notice.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
Peter

Default Cow Island public beach

There is a little known public beach on Cow Island too (near the Hole in the Wall). You would have to drop anchor and swim in.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
There is a little known public beach on Cow Island too (near the Hole in the Wall). You would have to drop anchor and swim in.
Is that the one owned by the town of Tuftonboro? I never really knew where it was, just that they own one.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
Peter

Default Cow Island beach

Yes, owned by Tuftonboro I believe. Friends checked it out this summer and said it was hard to find since it is packed in between two properties and the sign was knocked down. Wasn't well kept up. I would guess that the Cow Island residents aren't rushing to have people come us it. Heard there were trails to walk too.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
mbhoward

The beach you mention, along with two other access points on Cow Island are actually in a Conservation Easement that is managed by the town of Tuftonboro. It includes three access points, ( the beach is the best and easiest ) and the entire interior of Cow Island. Camping is even allowed provided you let the town know in advance. If your boat is small/light enough, you can pull it up on the beach and hike the whole interior of the island.
mbhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
tis

Yes, I remember a while back some of the neighbors were setting up camp or something and not allowing people to go on the beach. I don't remember the details, just that the Cow I. people didn't particularly want the public to use the beach.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
mbhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Yes, I remember a while back some of the neighbors were setting up camp or something and not allowing people to go on the beach. I don't remember the details, just that the Cow I. people didn't particularly want the public to use the beach.
We've heard of this before and there have been 'discussions' between the few people on the island who raise a stink and the town. They were told in clear and firm terms they cannot prohibit people from using the beach, or hiking on the interior of the island. The interior, and the three access points, are held in public trust and the trust is administered by the town.

If you know more, including names, please PM me and let me know. I am a member of the Tuftonboro Conservation Commission and will act to help stop the abuse. Or, you can call the town directly, ask for the code enforcement officer, and let him know. He will take it from there.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
tis

I think I read that in the paper, so I am sure you have a lot more information than I do (which is very little).
Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
cmack

Default Ragged Island

Went to Ragged Sat and walked the trail. It's a nice 30-45 min walk with the guide booklet.
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
KDL

Where are the access points on Cow Island?
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
chasedawg

Default Cow Island "right away's" owned by Tuftonboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhoward View Post
We've heard of this before and there have been 'discussions' between the few people on the island who raise a stink and the town. They were told in clear and firm terms they cannot prohibit people from using the beach, or hiking on the interior of the island. The interior, and the three access points, are held in public trust and the trust is administered by the town.

If you know more, including names, please PM me and let me know. I am a member of the Tuftonboro Conservation Commission and will act to help stop the abuse. Or, you can call the town directly, ask for the code enforcement officer, and let him know. He will take it from there.

Where are the three access "right of ways for Tuftonboro tax paying residents"?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhoward View Post
The beach you mention, along with two other access points on Cow Island are actually in a Conservation Easement that is managed by the town of Tuftonboro. It includes three access points, ( the beach is the best and easiest ) and the entire interior of Cow Island. Camping is even allowed provided you let the town know in advance. If your boat is small/light enough, you can pull it up on the beach and hike the whole interior of the island.
Yes, but camp fires are expressly prohibited! Yet, I was hiking the island a few days ago and there were beer cans discarded all along the trails and a campfire pit someone had set up in the center of the island. I'm sure they had buckets of water nearby or a fire extinguisher to control the fire in case it got out of hand.....right. An out of control fire in the center of an island would be devastating. There are 130 camps around the island. Might all be reasons visitors are less than welcome by some. A few people ruin it for everyone. It is a nice beach, though not very sunny due to the hills, trees, and high cliffs on the SW side.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #27
tis

It is true Orion. If only every one could be considerate. I don't blame the Cow Islanders for not wanting those people there that leave their trash and endanger the residents and their homes. Why oh why are some people so inconsiderate? You have a nice place to use and you abuse the privilege!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #28
mbhoward

Quote:
Where are the three access "right of ways for Tuftonboro tax paying residents"?
I am putting together a longer post that will be more specific, but for the time being, look at tax map #25 that shows Cow Island and you will see the beach property near hole-in-the-wall and two other strips that are more used as power line ROW on either side of the island. As far as public access, the only realistic option is the beach as the other two are through marshy sections and are very narrow.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #29
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Rattlesnake Island

Is another island that has public access to the interior. The hike up to the top of the hill gives a phenomenal view of the lake! Unfortunately the public access docks were destroyed and never rebuilt. It use to be one can use the utilities dock on inside on the North of the East finger. Right now the abutting landowners are telling people to go away!

I use to own property on Sleepers and there is a really nice 'fire' trail that circle the island. There is a cemetery and an antique car near the castle. When it was undeveloped/partially undeveloped, one can moor a boat off the island and explore. Now owners say the island is off limit to the public.
WakeboardMom (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Went to Ragged Sat and walked the trail. It's a nice 30-45 min walk with the guide booklet.
Can I get the guide booklet somewhere online? Or do they have them in the hut at the island?
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
mbhoward

I've done some research at the town offices and here is some of what I found concerning the public land on Cow Island. The town of Tuftonboro owned the land dating back many, many years and back in 2003 decided to convert the land into a public trust, to be held by the Lakes Region Conservation Trust (LRTC), but managed on a day to day basis by the town itself. There were 15 or so letters in the file, 2 were opposed to the idea, the remainder were supportive. It seemed almost all those who responded were islanders, or owned some property out on Cow Island.

The two against the idea were concerned about public access, as there are no docks; the potential for trash to be left around, and the potential of fire from a camper getting out of control. Those in favor of the idea like the whole concept of the land becoming permanently protected, never to be developed beyond the shoreline lots already in place, to include the prohibition of logging or any other agricultural activities. Ultimately, the trust was put in place and the actual paperwork is in the hands of the LRTC. I cannot seem to find a copy, but will keep looking. It will be interesting to see what, exactly, has been approved and signed.

There are three access points, but only one, the beach, is considered reasonable to use by the public. The three access points can be seen on the tax map # 25, http://www.tuftonboro.org/Pages/Tuft...s/map%2025.PDF. The beach is plot 25-2-2, and can be found in between the "Hole in the Wall" and the northern most point of Cow Island. That northern most point is one of the other access points and if you look closely you can see a corridor running from the point into the interior. Surrounding the island is what appears on the map as a road the circumscribes the island. That is not actually a road, but is instead a power line ROW. The other access point is a similar corridor bisecting plot 25-2-174, in the western most section of the island.

As I mentioned, the beach is the only realistic access point. There should be a sign clearly identifying the public access, but in talking to one of the selectmen this morning, he told me there have been numerous instances of the sign being torn down or vandalized. The selectmen are considering other options in an attempt to help preserve access. They want to be notified if anyone tries to chase people off. The code officer and a town policeman have already been out to speak to one of the islanders, and are fully prepared to go out again to press the point that the public right to access the interior of the island cannot be unilaterally revoked by anyone on the island.

Anyone contemplating hiking the island is urged to be respectful of the islanders who own property on the shore and should follow the seven principles of "Leave No Trace" http://lnt.org/learn/7-principles These principles were developed by the US Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management and the US Fish and Wildlife Service. They are fully supported by the Appalachian Mountain Club and most every other conservation group I can think of. We, the public, have every right to enjoy the land but the islanders have very real, and genuine concerns. First and foremost would be the chance a fire would get out of control. Other concerns are the trash that could be left behind, or damage to the natural resources that could result from careless hikers. Please remain ever mindful of their rights as property owners.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mbhoward For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-04-2013), chasedawg (09-05-2013), Dave R (09-05-2013), Just Sold (09-04-2013), RailroadJoe (09-04-2013), Sue Doe-Nym (09-05-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Is another island that has public access to the interior. The hike up to the top of the hill gives a phenomenal view of the lake! Unfortunately the public access docks were destroyed and never rebuilt. It use to be one can use the utilities dock on inside on the North of the East finger. Right now the abutting landowners are telling people to go away!

I use to own property on Sleepers and there is a really nice 'fire' trail that circle the island. There is a cemetery and an antique car near the castle. When it was undeveloped/partially undeveloped, one can moor a boat off the island and explore. Now owners say the island is off limit to the public.
The is no public access to Rattlesnake Island. Now if you have friends on the Island that will let you dock at their dock for a hike that is another story. If you are a member of the Lakes Region Conservation Trust they have a dock but it is for members only.

I do not know of any public access to Sleepers Island.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #33
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Rattlesnake Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
The is no public access to Rattlesnake Island. Now if you have friends on the Island that will let you dock at their dock for a hike that is another story.
And most of you do know someone!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Dave R (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #34
cmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
Can I get the guide booklet somewhere online? Or do they have them in the hut at the island?
Never looked online (but doubt it); they are at the huts
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #35
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Donation

Make a donation to the LRCT and request access to their island docks. No one I know has ever been turned down.

Dan
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #36
Just Sold

Cow Island Public Beach
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
mbhoward (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #37
tis

THanks, now I know what to look for, I will look next time out there.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #38
caloway

Default resurrecting an old thread

I know this is an old thread, but I just spent the day at that beach on Cow. It's nice and quiet, but not a lot of sun and really only space for a couple of boats to anchor. No hassle from the neighbors and the sign was up.

Looks like not everyone is following the packing trash out rule, though.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to caloway For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (08-18-2014)