Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
KonaChick

Default food timing in local restaurants

We dined out last night at a popular place in Meredith and I have to say I was a little disappointed with the "timing" of everything. We were about half way through our salads when our entrees arrived. I said to the server we hadn't even finished our salads and she told me when the food comes up they have to take it (which I understand). It was not the relaxing dinner I was looking forward to at all, it was rush rush rush, get 'em in, get 'em fed, get 'em out!! I'm not mentioning the restaurant's name because we've experienced this in other lake region restaurants as well. Has this happened to anyone else and what do you do about it?? Perhaps some local restaurant owners/managers can comment? BTW food was good and this was not a diner/pub type restaurant, what I would consider a higher end restaurant. Thanks!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Heaven

Sounds like the traditional protocol of the waitress alerting the line to "fire" the entree is either not being followed, or they are intentionally trying to push the tables in order to gain another seating for the evening.
Or, maybe that once was just a poor timing mistake.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Guy

Not necessarily a lakes issue but one of my pet peeves is when the salad or soup is very late followed by the quick serving of the entrée. Sort of indicates that it was forgotten. I am then a jerk and am unwilling to move my stuff out of the way just because the plate has arrived.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

This is not a specific Lakes issue and I have not noticed any particular increase in the problem.

My personal solution, if possible, is not to eat out in a higher end restaurant on Saturdays or holidays. Of course, this can't always be arranged.

When we are seated, we order cocktails and, if we have any inkling that timing will be a problem, we tell the waiter that we do not want to be rushed. But we try to be sensitive to what is going on in the restaurant, if it is really busy, we do eat at a leisurely but "reasonable" pace and don't just sit around just talking if the bill has been paid.

If the entree comes when we are still in the middle of apps/salad, we do send it back (realizing this can create its own problems). Generally, I believe this kind of timing is usually caused by the waitstaff putting the entree order in too soon, but I am not in the food service business so more informed folks can comment on the cause.

Every establishment has off-nights and specific problems, but if this is a recurrent problem I just do not go to the restaurant. If in a group, I just grin and bear it.

I will rarely complain to management...if it is a rare event I do not want to be comped; if it is the usual event, I just don't come back. Management should be well aware of chronic problems and should have fixed them before they became chronic.

Large groups can be a problem and one does does the best and I just chalk that up to experience.

I really enjoy eating out and getting aggravated makes a bad situation worse.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
NBR

Default Kona Chick

My daughter and partners own 4 restuarants in the midwest. I'd say they are in Mame's or Common Man ilk. Not fine dining but up scale. She trains the wait staff and bussers. Wait staff is trained to alert the cook staff so that the entree or next course arrives on time. Neither early nor late. If I am served a course to early I try to send it back. If that is a problem the tip is reduced to as far down as nothing. I alert the host/hostess to the issue and when I vist that place again if the same thing happens then I find another place.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NBR For This Useful Post:
KonaChick (07-11-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Heaven

Typically the waitress alerts the line chefs that the salads at a given table have been served and the line chefs time the entree to come out at a reasonable period of time after the serving of the salad (I am familiar with the term "fire table xyz" to the chef when the salads are served or just going out). Of course different entrees have slightly different "finish" times to prepare, but not different enough to throw a well working kitchen off. The staff has to assume some kind of average time that it will take a table to finished their salads, so if you know your table likes to eat at a more leisurely pace than others, or if you know you like to have another glass of wine between salad and dinner etc, let your waitress know this. There isn't any other way for the staff to time your service. If a waitress waits until your salads are finished before alerting the line chefs to "finish" your order, you will sit with no food for the time it takes to finish the most lengthy meal your table has ordered.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (07-11-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

Oh that's a pet peeve of mine but I'm probably more sensitive about it at a higher priced place than a chain-type restaurant. Maybe it's because I've been on the food service end of things.

Like other posters here I've asked for my course to be held until I am ready for it. "Gee, I'd hate to send this back later because it's cold, since I'd like to finish my salad or appetizer. Can you hold this for a moment in the kitchen 'til we're ready?" It works 99% of the time. At the time it doesn't work I also adjust my tip accordingly and have accepted the food, then sent it back to have it warmed (but that was just once... the waitress was beyond rude about that one. We never returned to that restaurant and I left one penny on the table for her tip.)

In a nutshell - I don't like being rushed because it's seldom that we get to go out and I'm there for a good time. My drink glass had better stay full, too or not be empty for a long time.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
pwdcrownies

Sounds like you had dinner at Lago. This is typical for us every time we have dinner there. The problem is the lack of other places to eat in Meredith so there isn't much incentive to correct the servicing issues.
pwdcrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Heaven

The time to ask the wait staff to "hold" your entree is before he brings the salad, or in the worse case, just as he brings the salad. At that point he still has time to run back to the line and ask that your table not be "fired", and so the chef won't put your double thick lamb chops into que for the broiler in order to serve them to you in 18(=/-) minutes. The kitchen has to work on averages and although you can send your double thick lamb chops back to the kitchen to "hold" while you finish your salad, you then cannot expect them to come out fresh, hot, and cooked to order. They will either be just warm, maybe, or if reheated, overcooked.
I think it only right if you are either in a hurry, or want to take your time, that you alert your wait person. They cannot read minds (sometimes, they are pretty good though!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-11-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
KTO

It's unfortunate that places can't be perfect 100% of the time. I feel as if as soon as I finish my appetizer, the waiter/waitress should have my meal ready. I should never have to wait more than 10 seconds after I finish my drink to get a refill.

BUT REALLY...just get over it! If it happens multiple times, then you probably have a problem restaurant. If it's just once, give it a try again sometime, maybe on a less busier day.

I serve at a restaurant in the lakes region, and weekends/holidays the atmosphere is entirely different than weekdays. When a kitchen has dozens of orders up at one time, there's a pretty good chance that timing is not going to be perfect. Sometimes your food may have to come a little early and sometimes you may have to wait. It's nearly impossible to get perfect timing because everyone is different in their eating habits. If you get a bowl of soup or a salad and you talk to your party instead of eating it and 20 mins later your food arrives, it's not the servers or the kitchens fault.

If it's a ridiculous situation where you order your appetizers and dinner and they both come out within 10 mins of each other, than you probably should say something or have the food held in the heat for a while longer.

Also, stiffing the waiter/waitress a tip is really scummy unless they provide you with a terrible dining experience overall (Intended rudeness is definitely a turn off).

My thoughts: just try the place again or try another place or even pick a slower day. Weekends are crazy busy in many places around here.
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTO For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-11-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Meredith lady

Default Communication is the key

I have been a waitress /cook for longer than I care to admit ...but as I see it, communication is the key. I talk to my customers and then I talk to my kitchen/chef. If a customer comes in at 6 p.m. and tells me they want to make a 7 p.m. movie...I move them along. If a customer comes in and says they are out for a date night with no kids and want to relax...I take that into consideration. Alot of restaurants use computers these days-the waitstaff puts in the order on a computer and really has no control over when the food is ready. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer talking to my customers and chef and timing my tables myself. I consider that part of my job. And I truly believe a server can make or break your dining experience. I also make it a point to know all ingredients in meals we prepare, any allergy or gluten concerns, favorite tables, wines, or desserts, and knowing when to "chat it up" with customers and knowing when to walk away. With that said, my forum friends, I will now step down from my soap box.
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Meredith lady For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-12-2010), Heaven (07-11-2010), KonaChick (07-12-2010), Pineedles (07-12-2010), RamJet (07-12-2010), trfour (07-12-2010), VitaBene (07-11-2010), Waterbaby (07-15-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
NBR

Meredith Lady sounds like the one you leave a tip over 20% for the special service.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NBR For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
dpg

I think everyone is making a big deal over nothing. Move your salad to the side and finish it with your meal. I'm sure you've had worse days than that in your life. If you haven't well then I can understand the complaints.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
KTO (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
VtSteve

We generally eat salad with our dinner, si this isn't much of a pet peeve for us. When we're cooking for ourselves, after work, it goes like this.

Season/prepare chicken/fish/beef/whatever
Start grill, chill wine.
Prepare Caesar salad, hand grate the cheese.
Put chicken/fish/beef/whatever on the grill
Have a beer on the deck.
Check it out after 5 minutes or so.
Have a beer on the deck.
Turn chicken/fish/beef/whatever if needed
Have a beer on the deck
Wine's ready, veggies ready, salad's ready
Get chicken/fish/beef/whatever off the grill
Serve entree with salad and wine

Voilà!

We eat

Then get ready to have a beer on the deck

With a thick T-bone or something like that, it generally will take me a full 25 minutes, sometimes less, from start to finish. Sometimes I get a good salad in a restaurant, but I'm not fond of iceberg lettuce, nor typical garden salads. Appetizers are different, but unless they have things that are very low carb, I usually pass on them as well.

I have a full rack of baby-backs to prepare soon, I'll time it
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
We generally eat salad with our dinner, si this isn't much of a pet peeve for us. When we're cooking for ourselves, after work, it goes like this.

Season/prepare chicken/fish/beef/whatever
Start grill, chill wine.
Prepare Caesar salad, hand grate the cheese.
Put chicken/fish/beef/whatever on the grill
Have a beer on the deck.
Check it out after 5 minutes or so.
Have a beer on the deck.
Turn chicken/fish/beef/whatever if needed
Have a beer on the deck
Wine's ready, veggies ready, salad's ready
Get chicken/fish/beef/whatever off the grill
Serve entree with salad and wine

Voilà!

We eat

Then get ready to have a beer on the deck

With a thick T-bone or something like that, it generally will take me a full 25 minutes, sometimes less, from start to finish. Sometimes I get a good salad in a restaurant, but I'm not fond of iceberg lettuce, nor typical garden salads. Appetizers are different, but unless they have things that are very low carb, I usually pass on them as well.

I have a full rack of baby-backs to prepare soon, I'll time it
Your post reminds me of this joke from the South:

Q: What's a redneck's idea of a seven course meal?

A: A rack of ribs and a six pack of Budweiser.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
Winnigirl83

I don't like it when my food comes too soon after the salad/appetizer is served. What works for me is I don't order my main course at the same time as my salad/appetizer. This way, I don't leave it up to the waitstaff or kitchen to decide when to serve my meal.

As for tipping, I don't like to see the waitstaff pay for kitchen mistakes. I would never lessen my tip on something the kitchen does. For example, if I order my steak medium and it comes out rare, it's not the waiter's fault.
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Your post reminds me of this joke from the South:

Q: What's a redneck's idea of a seven course meal?

A: A rack of ribs and a six pack of Budweiser.
Great place in Melbourne, Florida. Called Smokey Bones. You can get some of the best ribs I've ever had, plus a bucket full of ice-cold Budweisers.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #18
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Food service

I notice lately that food are coming out a lot quicker than in the past. I was told that due to the slow down, the kitchens are able to prepare the food sooner and get them out on the table.

Having experience in the hospitality industry, I tend to agree. But the kitchen should pay attention to the timing of the meals. If appetizers were served and or salads, the waitresses should make a note so that the line chef(s) can plan accordingly.

Having said that, the sous chef should have ample time to check the quality of the meals. Time is no longer an excuse.

I use to eat out almost daily. Now due to economics, I rarely go out. When I do, I look for an rewarding experience, if I want to spend that kind of money.