Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
JasonG

Default Just got a Hot Tub and my warranty is already void?

I have one that is got me a bit confused and I would love some honest feedback. Am I the one to blame?

January 2016 I purchased a new hot tub. Dealer in NH and brand will remain nameless.

Dealer (the owner in all situations) came by, installed it, and saw my setup. This is key to the who issue, because my setup used an extension cord. Now being in the business of selling battery chargers, I was well aware that I could not use a cheap extension cord. So I purchased one that had a 50% buffer for the amp draw and was only 15 feet long. The cord never gets hot, was short, exterior grade, and easily can carry the current of the 12 amp hot tub.

But we have had issues with the tub recently. A slight burning smell from the hot tub over the past 6 weeks. I called the factory whom sent out the dealer to replace the main circuit board. Problem was still there with a burning smell, so I called the factory back. They said it is likely the pump and sent one out. This is all under warranty.

Today I call the dealer to arrange an install of the pump. He informs me my warranty was void and it would be a $170 service fee. Of course I questioned this. He tells me is was void because I used an extension cord. The factory warranty states the use of any extension cord immediately voids the warranty.

1 My first issue with this right away is when the dealer installed the tub in the first place, he knew it was getting plugged into an extension cord. If this was going to void my warranty, should he have said something right away? I would have gladly held off. He did suggest that I get a regular plug outlet to plug into, but nothing else.

2 When the dealer did the first repair, he did not inform me that it was out of warranty at all. He now calls that a courtesy warranty coverage. But if the first repair was a courtesy and cancelled my warranty, how did they send out the second part under warranty? He also question ME to make sure that I knew the problem was the pump and not something else. Huh? How would I know? I am asking the factory for help here.

3. When I called the factory about this issue, they had no idea about my warranty coverage being cancelled. At this point I am wondering what the dealer is talking about. Working with the same rep at the factory on this issue since day one, they knew I was using an extension cord before the first repair. She did confirm today that an extension cord can void the warranty.

At this point I have not heard back from the dealer or manufacturer. No idea which way this will turn.

Am I in the wrong here for any reason?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote