Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Moultonboro 2015/2016

As many know,we are receiving our first appreciable snow of the season. Some gates have been opened, others have not depending on landowner wishes. Please ride easy as the base is soft at best.

John Harrington, President MSC
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-29-2015)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
VitaBene

Default Closed

Please note that our trails are officially closed. The water is open everywhere. Some gates are open to allow for trail maintenance. We realize that many people can get onto our trail system from their own property (and that they have every right to ride on their property).

We have a landowner who is very upset that a group of riders decided to move a very large log (1000 pounds approx) from the access point to his property. He opens and closes the trail going through his land at his discretion (when he believes there is enough snow to protect plants, etc that he grows). There was also an ATV in there mucking things up. Fish and Game have been called, however, I ask that people police themselves or the land will close to us. This property is part of corridor 15 with no way to bypass or reroute it.

We spend a lot of time placating landowners, convincing them to allow access, and trying to create goodwill with our landowners- many whom do not snowmobile.

Please respect landowner's property regardless of how much snow is on the trail. Stay in the marked trail. We spend 100s of hours signing, roping and fencing trails yet people "need" to go where they want to go and ride off trail.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
GTO (01-05-2016), SAB1 (01-05-2016), secondcurve (01-10-2016), trfour (01-05-2016), upthesaukee (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Please note that our trails are officially closed. The water is open everywhere. Some gates are open to allow for trail maintenance. We realize that many people can get onto our trail system from their own property (and that they have every right to ride on their property).

We have a landowner who is very upset that a group of riders decided to move a very large log (1000 pounds approx) from the access point to his property. He opens and closes the trail going through his land at his discretion (when he believes there is enough snow to protect plants, etc that he grows). There was also an ATV in there mucking things up. Fish and Game have been called, however, I ask that people police themselves or the land will close to us. This property is part of corridor 15 with no way to bypass or reroute it.

We spend a lot of time placating landowners, convincing them to allow access, and trying to create goodwill with our landowners- many whom do not snowmobile.

Please respect landowner's property regardless of how much snow is on the trail. Stay in the marked trail. We spend 100s of hours signing, roping and fencing trails yet people "need" to go where they want to go and ride off trail.
I'm thinking we should take up a collection an buy a few game cameras to catch the knuckleheads who are doing this stuff.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I'm thinking we should take up a collection an buy a few game cameras to catch the knuckleheads who are doing this stuff.
Yea--And when they close all of our trails around here because they've "T-off" all the landowners, their just trailer somewhere else and do it all over again. They are not just "knuckleheads" Their Terrorist! They want to ruin a good thing for all of us. JMO (I'm venting due to lack of snow-- sorry)
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanks for the support! We are going to buy some game cameras. It is frustrating at best!
ITD (01-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
If you are driving down the Neck Road, look at Davidson's field (right before the substation). It really is ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
If you are driving down the Neck Road, look at Davidson's field (right before the substation). It really is ridiculous.
I love that trail, that is a beautiful area. Let us know if we can help somehow.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
wadden

Ditto that!
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #9
dpg

I don't own a "sled" but have a question. How does riding them work, well what I mean is can anyone use "marked" trails or are you supposed to join (that) local club to ride on the trails? I've "kicked the tires" looking at them in the past but never really knew about the riding situation, where their allowed, etc. Obviously I know to keep off private marked property but are marked trails open to anyone that happens to stumble upon them?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #10
ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I don't own a "sled" but have a question. How does riding them work, well what I mean is can anyone use "marked" trails or are you supposed to join (that) local club to ride on the trails? I've "kicked the tires" looking at them in the past but never really knew about the riding situation, where their allowed, etc. Obviously I know to keep off private marked property but are marked trails open to anyone that happens to stumble upon them?
You don't need to be a member of the club who's trails it belongs to, but you do need to Register your sled and get a sticker for it, to ride on any trial designated for snowmobiles in NH. Joining a club helps keep a part of the registration money local for the club, and it saves you a little on the registration fee. You can Legally only ride an unregistered snowmobile on your own Private Property. There are Thousands of miles of trails to explore so Stop kickin the tires and do it! It's a blast, if we ever get snow. Check the trails below. Zoom in to find lake winni then check out the thousands of miles

http://backwoodsgpstrails.com/SledMap/SledMap_J_E.html
The Following User Says Thank You to ultrarider For This Useful Post:
dpg (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
VitaBene

Quote:
There are almost 7000 miles of trails in NH alone, all are maintained by local clubs or in a few cases, the NH Bureau of Trails. In Moultonborough we have approximately 70 miles of marked and groomed trails.

Weather permitting I groom Friday and Saturday overnight (4-7 hours depending if I decide to go up and over Red Hill) and usually cover a shift or two on the Skelley's side of town (a bit less than two hours). If you or any other forum member wants to go for a ride along, let me know. We use Tucker Sno-Cats, they are comfortable and heated!
dpg (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
hilltopper

Quote:

I've got to say I was quite surprised to see your initial post in this thread where the club president mentioned the opening of some of the gates. There was only 5" of (unpacked) snow on the ground. How did this thread go from the opening of some gates in the first post to the trails being officially closed in the second post?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
I've got to say I was quite surprised to see your initial post in this thread where the club president mentioned the opening of some of the gates. There was only 5" of (unpacked) snow on the ground. How did this thread go from the opening of some gates in the first post to the trails being officially closed in the second post?
I would say it probably had something to do with 8 days of warm temps, and rain, and "Knuckheads" going where they weren't suppose to.
The Following User Says Thank You to ultrarider For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
VitaBene

Quote:
I said we opened "some" gates where the landowners wanted us to. Those are over on the Skelley's Balmoral side of town. Since then it warmed up and the trails that were usable, are no longer so. I was making decisions based upon information received from other volunteers and landowners as I was floating in the Caribbean! Had I been here I may have elected to leave everything closed. We always have to carefully balance landowner's property protection with riders wanting to ride- especially on vacation weeks.

My second post was in response to a completely closed trail (by the landowner) where some people decided to move a log and trail closed signs to snowmobile. I then decided to close all of the trails in town (but that does not mean we go close all gates).

I am the club president- sometimes I sign my name, other times I do not!
Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #15
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
I would say it probably had something to do with 8 days of warm temps, and rain, and "Knuckheads" going where they weren't suppose to.
Yup, I figured I'd get blasted. I'm a snowmobiler. As a snowmobiler I'd never take my equipment over a trail that had 5" of snow over unfrozen ground. I'm also a landowner, and as a landowner I'd never open a gate when all we had was 5" of snow over unfrozen ground. I meant no offense to the MSC...they are by far the best club in the area.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #16
ultrarider

Quote:
Yup, I figured I'd get blasted. I'm a snowmobiler. As a snowmobiler I'd never take my equipment over a trail that had 5" of snow over unfrozen ground. I'm also a landowner, and as a landowner I'd never open a gate when all we had was 5" of snow over unfrozen ground. I meant no offense to the MSC...they are by far the best club in the area.
Who is blasting? You asked how the trails could go from open to closed so fast. I gave you my thoughts by stating probably due to warm temps. rain and irresponsible riders. How is that blasting? Sorry if you thought I was blasting you, I was just answering your question. By the way-- If you want to know what Really being blasted is like go visit http://www.slednh.com/forums/ or http://www.dootalk.com/forums/ Got to be able to take it over there, but everyone knows it's fair game.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
HomeWood

Quote:
There is an extra cost added on the registration if you're not a club member. I prefer to be an actual member than to just pay the extra cost. Last I checked it was basically a wash either way.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #18
VitaBene

Quote:
Hi- in no way was I trying to give you any grief, just an explanation. Like skiers, some snowmobilers run their rock sleds early and late.

The middle of the season is easy, when to start it and when to end it are the hard ones!

Thank you for your kind words about MSC, it is appreciated by all of the great volunteers we have!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #19
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
There is an extra cost added on the registration if you're not a club member. I prefer to be an actual member than to just pay the extra cost. Last I checked it was basically a wash either way.
You are correct, it is close- last I checked there was a 30 dollar discount per sled, with club membership cost being $35 (in our case). $10 goes to the NH Snowmobile Association.