Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
bobkatfly

Default Volvo Penta oil filter

Hi all. Trying to find which filter is on my engine. Just purchased recently so haven't snooped around it enough. I'm not at the boat or service manual otherwise no need for post but would like to purchase where I am. It's a 2012 v6 225 horse dual prop stern drive. I've been online searching and getting various results on different screw-on can types as well as replacement elements. Anyone know what OEM filter comes with this engine?

Thanks

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Hi all. Trying to find which filter is on my engine. Just purchased recently so haven't snooped around it enough. I'm not at the boat or service manual otherwise no need for post but would like to purchase where I am. It's a 2012 v6 225 horse dual prop stern drive. I've been online searching and getting various results on different screw-on can types as well as replacement elements. Anyone know what OEM filter comes with this engine?

Thanks
Cannot tell by the year, sorry, 2012 is right around when they changed and the boat could be equipped with either a leftover older style or the newer style engine. Need to know the engine model. It's likely a 4.3 GXi but there's a a dash after the GXi and one or two letters. Those letters will tell you the actual model. The 4.3 GXi-G (or GF) was the last model with the spin on filter part 835440, the GXi-J (or JF) and up use the newer style cartridge filter.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Cannot tell by the year, sorry, 2012 is right around when they changed and the boat could be equipped with either a leftover older style or the newer style engine. Need to know the engine model. It's likely a 4.3 GXi but there's a a dash after the GXi and one or two letters. Those letters will tell you the actual model. The 4.3 GXi-G (or GF) was the last model with the spin on filter part 835440, the GXi-J (or JF) and up use the newer style cartridge filter.
Great info Dave. I'll wait till Sat. to check in person.
Thanks.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
bobkatfly

Dave, had a look this weekend and it's a dash R. So as you said it's a paper element. Do you know if a replacement o-ring normally comes with the filter?

Old 09-12-2017, 05:30 AM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Dave, had a look this weekend and it's a dash R. So as you said it's a paper element. Do you know if a replacement o-ring normally comes with the filter?

They always do when you buy that style for cars and motorcycles, so it would be shocking if it did not come with a new o-ring. You can always re-use the old one if it does not. They last for years.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links