Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
Y2K

Default Good areas for Summer Birding

Hello all,

After canceling our vacation to the lake last year since many of the family activities were not open we are planning our July vacation for 2021. This time we are hoping to also drag some family friends up with us (Winni virgins!).

Both my wife and my friends wife are big birders, and spend many days in the summer together taking bird pictures. What are some good areas around the lake for finding birds that I can show to my wife and friend? We are staying right outside Weirs Beach.

Prescot Farm seems like a good start, but I'm guessing there are others.

Thank you for your help!
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
fatlazyless

The Laverack Nature Trail on Hawkins Brook located in Meredith in a wet lands area that runs for about .6-mile from the MVSB, behind the Meredith Hannaford, and to the town tennis courts has a good number of red winged black birds, ducks, a solitary heron and some type of unusual gull.

There's another thread on it, up above, that has a good Laverack Trail video.

Another bird habitat in Meredith is the nearby Page Pond Town Forest.
Y2K (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
secondcurve

If you are up for a 45-minute or so drive from the Weirs you can go to Copps Pond in Tuftonboro. Google coops pond tuftonboro Boy Scout viewing platform and you’ll come up with a good article. It’s about a five minute walk off the road. It’s very quiet and a nice birding area. Have fun.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Y2K (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #4
winnipiseogee

I know its not exactly what you are thinking but you should check out the Squam Lake Science Center. They have a whole new raptor section opening next summer. The head of the science center used to head up NH's Audubon center so they've got some great info on the area bird populations. They also do cruises on Squam with the Loon's center's biologist that focuses on the lake's loons.
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:36 AM   #5
ApS

Thumbs up Listen for Thrushes on 109A...

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
If you are up for a 45-minute or so drive from the Weirs you can go to Copps Pond in Tuftonboro. Google coops pond tuftonboro Boy Scout viewing platform and you’ll come up with a good article. It’s about a five minute walk off the road. It’s very quiet and a nice birding area. Have fun.
Very well described!

My first time there was two summers ago, during a Camp Wyanoke reunion, where several "lifetime birds" were revealed.

That included two new ducks, and sighted five Great Blue Herons simultaneously spread out across the vast area.

The easy walk-in access was from Route 109A, but not well marked. I've probably driven past the entrance a hundred times without noticing it.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-06-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
Y2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
I know its not exactly what you are thinking but you should check out the Squam Lake Science Center. They have a whole new raptor section opening next summer. The head of the science center used to head up NH's Audubon center so they've got some great info on the area bird populations. They also do cruises on Squam with the Loon's center's biologist that focuses on the lake's loons.
Oh yeah, Squam Lakes Science Center is one of our usual stops with the kids. Never took the boat trip though.....
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
camp guy

Default Good areas for summer birding

If you get as far as Copp's Pond, you might consider also visiting The Libby Museum on the Wolfeboro-Tuftonboro line on Rt 109. Granted, in the Museum all the animals are taxidermied, but there is written information describing habitats and habits for the animals. This is a particularly easy place to visit on a day that the weather might not be so good for outside exploring. Then, on the way back to Weirs area, you can stop at the Loon Center in Moultonborough.

Good luck. Stay safe.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-06-2021), Y2K (01-06-2021)