Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Sal

Question Help with guests

Other than playing in and on the water, what do YOU do and where do you go, to entertain and amuse guests who visit about every 5 years or so, for a long weekend ?
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
CentreHarborEric

Default Distractions for guests

Depending on age and interests:

Golf
Hikes-Rattlesnake & Major are easy ones, plenty of tougher ones too
Funspot
Ice Cream
Train ride
Outlet shopping
Water slide
Storyland
Mountain biking

I'm sure there are tons of others, those are the first few to come to mind.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
Bubba

Default Things to do

Mt Washington auto road always works. Also, the boat museum.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Paugus Bay Resident

Mount Cruise?
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
sa meredith

Default Rattlesnake trails?

This may sound foolish to long time Winni people, but I have heard of hiking trails on Rattlesnake on a couple of occasions, and my question is this:
Where is the trail head, and where are people able to dock their boats...assuming they are not friendly with any Rattlesnake residents. Is there public access?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
Just Sold

Default Rattlesnake Island - No Access

Rattlesnake Island has no public access. Sorry, but only the island owners and their guest are allowed to climb to the top.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
jrc

CentreHarborEric probably meant Rattlesnake Mountain, not Rattleshake Island
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
Rattlesnake Island has no public access. Sorry, but only the island owners and their guest are allowed to climb to the top.
First time I have heard this. I usually dock at the utility dock inside the cove on the NE side of Rattlesnake Island. I was never spoken to when I climb to the top of the island. I have even camp out at the top. I've been doing this 2,3 times a year for the last 45 years.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
jeffk

Default For inquiring minds, a pointer to Rattlesnake Mtn info

It's over by Rumney.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/r...-mountain.html
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
sa meredith

Default My bad...

Yeah, thanks for the info. I assumed the "trails on Rattlesnake" meant Rattlesnake Island, not mountain. Sorry for the trouble...
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
jetskier

Post Mo' Stuff

Mini Golf (Pirates Cove)
Movies
Boating (lot's of options here)
Jetskiing
Ceramics (paint your own)

Winter:

Snowmobiling
Skiing
Skating

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
hockeypuck

All the above mentioned activities are great, but the one that many enjoy the most is just sitting at the waters edge (any season) with a good cup of coffee or a cold beverage with friends and taking in all the beauty of the lake.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
JayDV

Default Are these day trips still offered?

If the weather was good, you could take a day trip, no reservations needed and probably no crowds now.

Back in the mid 60's our family would take day trips to Polar Caves and the Flume. Not sure how long a day that would be today but I'm sure there would be an eatery to help make the trip a good one for all.

Maybe as a reward for youngsters, a go-cart ride (or the already mentioned mini-golf) followed by Sawyers ice cream? (sorry I can't remember if threads last said if Sawyers was open or closed).

Another fun trip would be if you know of folks either with a boat or willing to help shuttle you, we used to be able to take the Mail Boat from one of the islands back to the Weirs dock for an abbreviated trip. (and the ice cream is already on board)
JayDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
Resident 2B

Unhappy Mail Boat

Sal and JayDV,

Unfortunately, the last day of he Mail Boat was today.

It is a great way to see some islands up close, but it will have to wait until next year.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
Captain Zipper

Sal, for guests like that I plan very "special" activities..............help paint the house............put a new roof on.........that way these types of people don't show up "every" year.

CZ

But seriously...................
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
Long Pine

Default Hiking on Rattlesnake Island

A previous post suggested that there was no hiking possible on Rattlesnake Island. I believe that it is in fact possible for non-residents of Rattlesnake Island to hike there. The Lakes Region Conservation Trust owns about 100 acres on Rattlesnake Island (called the Morris and Pardoe gift on their website - link below). You would have to call them to confirm how to access this but I believe they have a dock on the southern end of the island with a marked trail that will take you to the top of the island. It is listed on their website below as a "publicly accessible property" along with Stonedam Island, Five Mile Island and some others. I would recommend calling them so that you understand whatever rules they have about property access. Their contact info is on their website.

http://www.lrct.org/lake-winnipesaukee.html
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Right in your back yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Other than playing in and on the water, what do YOU do and where do you go, to entertain and amuse guests who visit about every 5 years or so, for a long weekend ?
Right in Moultonboro

Take them to the Loon Preservation Committe location. Great 30 min. video and a 1.7 mile walk thru the preservation. ( PS... it's FREE)

http://www.loon.org/

http://www.loon.org/multimedia.htm
Old 09-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
Linda's Pep

Default guests

I've found that taking the husband along to hang with the neighborhood guys for a few 'last of the sunshine' cold ones, and then stumbling to the house long after the wives have had to 'grill-up' to feed the kiddies results in less visits by the whole clan. To further seal the deal, take the husband on an evening walk to the find the local fireside party and return him at sun-up.

Good luck.
Linda's Pep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #19
Island Girl

Default Not Accessible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Pine
A previous post suggested that there was no hiking possible on Rattlesnake Island. I believe that it is in fact possible for non-residents of Rattlesnake Island to hike there. The Lakes Region Conservation Trust owns about 100 acres on Rattlesnake Island (called the Morris and Pardoe gift on their website - link below). You would have to call them to confirm how to access this but I believe they have a dock on the southern end of the island with a marked trail that will take you to the top of the island. It is listed on their website below as a "publicly accessible property" along with Stonedam Island, Five Mile Island and some others. I would recommend calling them so that you understand whatever rules they have about property access. Their contact info is on their website.

http://www.lrct.org/lake-winnipesaukee.html
The LRCT land on Rattlesnake is not open to the public. Open for a short time, it was abused by some... lighting campfires etc. As far as I can see, it is not listed on the publicly accessible property.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #20
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
further seal the deal, take the husband on an evening walk to the find the local fireside party and return him at sun-up.
Not to hijack, but do I know you? Sounds like my summer routine Only kidding, kind of ... Is my wife posting under an alias
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #21
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
Not to hijack, but do I know you? Sounds like my summer routine Only kidding, kind of ... Is my wife posting under an alias
I hope it's your wife.... I thought it was my wife posting under an alisa...
Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #22
Argie's Wife

Why not check the local paper for entertainment/events in the area?

(I threw in some interesting sea coast events, too - just in case...)

Rochester Fair 9/14-9/23

9/21: Music at the Crossroads Irish music show, Capitol Center for the Arts, Concord, N.H., 8 p.m., $26.50-$32.50 603-225-1111; ccanh.com.

Lakes Region Opera will hosts "Opera at the Cafe" 9/15, 7:30 p.m., Franklin Opera House, Franklin, 7:30 p.m.; 9/16: Farmington Town Hall, Farmington, N.H., 2 p.m. 603-875-1917; www.franklinoperahouse.org.

Meadowbrook Musical Arts Center,9/22: ZZ Top; 603-293-4700; www.meadowbrook.net.

9/14: Molly Malone's Ghost Investigation and Live Radio Show with Irish dinner, Molly Malone's Irish Pub, State Street, Portsmouth, 8:30 to midnight, $50.

9/15: Five-lighthouse fundraising cruise sponsored by The Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse, leaving Rye Harbor at 8:30 a.m., returning at 1 p.m, $35 adults, $25 children, 603-964-5545.

9/16: Rockingham Ballroom 50's sock hop, 22 Ashswamp Road, Newmarket, 659-4410; www.rockinghamballroom.com. to benefit the Seacoast Lifeteen, a non-profit group of teens. 6-9 p.m., $3 pp or $5 for family. Tickets may be bought at the Rockingham Ballroom or St. Josephs Church, 603-659-4410.

9/15-16: Antique Gas Engine Show, Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunk, Maine, free admission, sponsored by the Maine Antique Power Assoc. and the New Hampshire Power of Past Club, 207-748-1092 or 603-642-5711.

9/29-30: 8th annual Portsmouth Maritime Folk Festival, venues in downtown Portsmouth's Market Square, Portsmouth, N.H., Sat., 2-11 p.m., Sun. 1-5:30 p.m., free. 603-942-7604; www.newenglandfolknetwork.org/pmff/.

9/15: Silent Auction and Basket Raffle to help raise funds for the emergency first responders of 9/11 at Ground Zero, Barnstead Fire Station, State 1, Parade Road, Barnstead, N.H., 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 435-8668.

Squam Lakes Natural Science Center, 23 Science Center Road, Holderness, 9/29: Fun-filled day of animal exploration and seasonal celebration at its Autumn Festival, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., $9-$13; Through 11/1: Trails open daily 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

Silk Farm Audubon Center, 3 Silk Farm Rd., Concord. Programs, exhibits and camps in wildlife conservation, land protection, environmental policy and environmental education. 224-9909; www.nhaudubon.org.

Wright Museum, 77 Center St., Wolfeboro. Exhibits, restored vehicles, large Home-Front area, women in the war and much more. Mon-Sat., 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sun., 12-4 p.m. 569-1212; www.wrightmuseum.org.

Barnstormers Theatre, "Stones in His Pockets", Tamworth Village, Tamworth, N.H., Tues. through Sat., 8 p.m., Sat. matinee at 2 p.m. $17-27. 323-8500; barnstormerstheatre.org.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #23
Long Pine

Default I was wrong about Rattlesnake

Quote:
The LRCT land on Rattlesnake is not open to the public. Open for a short time, it was abused by some... lighting campfires etc. As far as I can see, it is not listed on the publicly accessible property.

Good catch Island Girl. I thought I had seen it under the "Publicly Accessible Property" tab, but I was mistaken. It is only listed as property owned by the LRCT. Thanks for correcting.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #24
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda's Pep
I've found that taking the husband along to hang with the neighborhood guys for a few 'last of the sunshine' cold ones, and then stumbling to the house long after the wives have had to 'grill-up' to feed the kiddies results in less visits by the whole clan.
Steve / Resident -- please let me know if indeed it is one of your wives because I swore it was mine when I first read it.

Currently seaching "internet Temp files" for a clue as to wether it was mine lmao
Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #25
CanisLupusArctos

Default hike!

If the guests are up for a hike with a great view of the lake, you can take them up to Mt. Major in Alton for a view of the lake with the White Mountains behind it. You can also take them up Red Hill in Moultonborough which has a view of the lake to the south with Gunstock and the flatlands in the background. There is a fire tower on Red Hill and you can go in it when the warden is there (season ends in fall). Nice view of the White Mountains.

You can catch a scenic train ride on the Hobo RR... in the fall you can ride the rails from Meredith all the way up to Lincoln during peak foliage.

The Conway Scenic RR also lengthens its route during fall foliage, you can ride from North Conway all the way through Crawford Notch to Fabyan's Station on the other side.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #26
WINDinmySOCKIES

Depends on guests....we had guests up and were prepared to drag them all over hell and creation, forgetting that it was "their" vacation. What they really wanted to do was sit on the deck with a cup of coffee, read and take naps! This was a little tough for us, because we ARE hikers and what not and don't sit still. So, one day, WE went out, and let our guests have the house to themselves. We did take them for a ride across the Kancamagus Hgway one day, Bear Notch Rd then across 3 (or 302) then back home 93....the "triangle tour", got out along the way and did short easy hikes here and there.
WINDinmySOCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #27
Dave M

Default Rattlesnake Mtn

Since Rattlesnake Mtn was brought up and you want to venture out, try Rattlesnake Mtn(east & west) on Squam Lake. Its on Rt113 out of Holderness or Sandwich. Its a 1/2 or so climb and gradual incline. It brings you to some cliffs, awesome view of whole lake. Bring back pack for a picnic lunch.

Enjoy

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #28
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Things To Do

Check our forum calendar for various events around the Lakes Region.

The Hobo Railroad might be fun. You have the Winnipesaukee route and interesting journeys from Lincoln. There are also long dinner train trips from Meredith or trips from Meredith to Livermore Falls as foliage gets under way.
Castle in the Clouds is usually a good bet. http://www.castleintheclouds.org/

Polly’s Pancake Parlor along with a visit to The Sampler gift shop up the road. The view is absolutely amazing of the Presidential Range.

A gondola ride up Wildcat Mountain or if you’re feeling brave, try their new zip line!

Glen Ellis Falls is worth the trip if you are in the area.

The Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm looks like it might be interesting. I have not yet made it there for a visit, has anyone else been?

You may enjoy discovering things at Squam Lake.

Have fun and enjoy your visit. Let us know what you picked to do and if your guests like it!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #29
Captain Zipper

Well Sal, looks like you have plenty of choices.

The fact that a few posters said that your guests might just want to hang out and relax with a cup of coffee said alot.

When your guests arrive show them the list of options and then just ask them what they'd like to do. Their answer might surprise you.

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #30
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Hand them a pick and shovel, as you tell them that the outhouse needs a new hole.

That'll give them some talking points until their next visit; although, it may be longer than five years.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #31
Sal

I thank all of the responders ... many good ideas and alot of stuff I didn't know (especially about the trains). After confering with my spouse and with the invited guests (and sharing the posts), it seems that we guys will probably hike up Red Hill while they sit on the deck and drink .... coffee, for one of the 3 days of the visit.
Thank you all, again. Sal
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #32
secondcurve

We have discussed the access to Rattlesnake Island on previous posts and I find it very sad that there isn't public access, especially now that it has been brought to my attention that LRCT owns a significant parcel on the island. It is a shame that so many want to grab their piece of heaven and shut out everyone else.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #33
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
We have discussed the access to Rattlesnake Island on previous posts and I find it very sad that there isn't public access, especially now that it has been brought to my attention that LRCT owns a significant parcel on the island. It is a shame that so many want to grab their piece of heaven and shut out everyone else.
You're off topic; but since you walked down this path...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
The LRCT land on Rattlesnake is not open to the public. Open for a short time, it was abused by some... lighting campfires etc.
It's a shame that some fail to conduct themselves in a reponsible manner.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #34
Lucky2Bhere

Dave M:
I agree wholeheartedly about the Rattlesnake Carriage trail in Holderness. It's an easy climb and it has an INCREDIBLE views of squam and winnipesaukee. We've brought many people up there to universal WOWS!
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #35
Rattlesnake Gal

Unhappy A Few Bad Apples Wrecked it for Everyone

Quote:
If the non-residents hadn’t abused our island, the public would still be allowed to visit. Perhaps you should befriend an islander?

The LRCT dock was wrecked last winter and as of the other day, they haven’t rebuilt it yet.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #36
mets3007

The train only runs weekends now ( Sat- Sun)
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #37
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default We'll bring Chilli...

[ RG "Perhaps you should befriend an islander?"]

Dianne and I are available for adoption.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #38
loony

Default Rattlesnake Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
Since Rattlesnake Mtn was brought up and you want to venture out, try Rattlesnake Mtn(east & west) on Squam Lake. Its on Rt113 out of Holderness or Sandwich. Its a 1/2 or so climb and gradual incline. It brings you to some cliffs, awesome view of whole lake. Bring back pack for a picnic lunch.

Enjoy

Dave M
Rattlesnake Hill. Very easy Hike with spectacular views of Squam Lake- and Winnipesaukee to the left on clear day. I often take my guests there, young and old. I'ts also on the same road as the science center in Holderness.
Attached Images

loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #39
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Loony Thanks for the pic

You saved me the hike...
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #40
Island Girl

Default Anytime , SteveA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
Hey Steve... IslandSib and I will adopt you and Diane!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #41
secondcurve

GWC: "Off topic?" This seemed like a wide ranging discussion. I didn't know there were specific rules. The lack of access to the top of RI touched a nerve and I responded.

[QUOTE=Rattlesnake Gal][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]If the non-residents hadn’t abused our island, the public would still be allowed to visit. Perhaps you should befriend an islander?

RG: I wasn't singling you out. The comment wasn't intended to offend you and I apologize if you took it that way. It just makes my blood boil when I see these trusts acquire land and then greatly reduce or, as in this case, eliminate access to the public. I realize that vandalisim is an issue and that certainly is a problem that is difficult to deal with. It would be nice to have a small docking station where folks could tie up their boats and hike to the top of the island for what must be a spectacuar view.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #42
GWC...

Quote:
GWC: "Off topic?" This seemed like a wide ranging discussion. I didn't know there were specific rules. The lack of access to the top of RI touched a nerve and I responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]If the non-residents hadn’t abused our island, the public would still be allowed to visit. Perhaps you should befriend an islander?

RG: I wasn't singling you out. The comment wasn't intended to offend you and I apologize if you took it that way. It just makes my blood boil when I see these trusts acquire land and then greatly reduce or, as in this case, eliminate access to the public. I realize that vandalisim is an issue and that certainly is a problem that is difficult to deal with. It would be nice to have a small docking station where folks could tie up their boats and hike to the top of the island for what must be a spectacuar view.
Let's take a look at the original post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Sal is requesting entertainment suggestions; not a rant about a conservation organization or members (owners) of RIA.

Quote:
If a nerve were touched, just start a new thread, or post to a previous thread, to vent the pain.

I would caution you that if you were upset by the little that were mentioned, you would be livid if you had a greater depth of knowledge regarding RI and the LRCT. The thread would take a path similar to the speed limit thread; not answer the real question of this thread, "what do YOU do and where do you go..."
Old 09-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #43
Winni P

I would never leave the lake!!

If your lucky enough to be at the lake, take advantage of being on and in the lake!!

That being said, on the days when everyone gets a little stir crazy - Rattlesnack Mtn is a great hike/picnic spot. Take advantage of the Science Center while your up that way (if you're with kids).

We always have "dinner" at the Kellerhaus once before the end of vacation. Mmmm!
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #44
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile No Offense Taken Secondcurve

Quote:
RG: I wasn't singling you out. The comment wasn't intended to offend you and I apologize if you took it that way. It just makes my blood boil when I see these trusts acquire land and then greatly reduce or, as in this case, eliminate access to the public. I realize that vandalism is an issue and that certainly is a problem that is difficult to deal with. It would be nice to have a small docking station where folks could tie up their boats and hike to the top of the island for what must be a spectacular view.
No problem here Seconccurve, no offense taken. I did not in any way think I was being singled out. I do understand your annoyance. It is terribly sad when our treasured resources are abused by a few who wreck access for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
Sounds great! When would you like to come?

Me thinks there is a business opportunity here. RG’s Rattlesnake Island Tours. (Just kidding!)

I wholeheartedly agree with Winni P that we should make the most of being at the lake. If I had my way, I would only leave the island on very few occasions. Our son’s girlfriend drives us crazy, as soon as she gets here she is hot to leave to do other stuff like clothes shopping of all things. She just doesn’t know how to relax.

Captain Zipper’s advice is right on, let your guests do the choosing.