Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
GWC...

Default Fathom Divers to be featured on Discovery!

It's a dirty job; but somebody has to do it.

Moorings for the Lake on the Discovery channel this Tuesday...

http://gamma.unionleader.com/article...4-37622a825cb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Union Leader online
Down deep, it's a very Dirty Job

By ROGER AMSDEN
Union Leader Correspondent
1 hour, 6 minutes ago

GILFORD – Lake Winnipesaukee may be known for its pristine water quality, but that didn't keep Mike Rowe of the Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs" series from mucking around on the bottom last September.

Rowe and crew were on and under the lake last fall filming scuba diver Dave Ferruolo working on the muddy floor of the lake to install boat moorings.

Highlights from the day-long filming session are scheduled to air Tuesday night at 9 in a "Dirty Jobs" episode called "Well Digger." The episode will also be aired several more times over the next month.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
trfour

Thumbs up Thanks for the heads up...

GWC!

This should be very interesting and it's always great to see our local Celebrities on national TV.

By the way,.. DCR has some critters for your pet spider, over there.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquadeziac

Default Winni on Discovery

Excellent!! Am a fan of the show. Great to see a local segment.Thanks.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
gtxrider

Default Excellent!

I like the show it makes me appreciate my desk job....I have had several jobs where I got dirty and or greasy. Try washing pans used to make head cheese!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Alton Mumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
Try washing pans used to make head cheese!
Ewwww

I love that show, it'll be great so see some local footage!

"Living with a toddler is like using a blender without the cover."
Alton Mumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Try washing pans used to make head cheese!
Hey,I used to do that.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
gtxrider

Default Reminder!

Watch Dirty Jobs and see the LAKE!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
csuhockey3

Default It was just on....

I just watched it here in the Mountain Time Zone -- how fun to see Winni! Woohoo!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
jetskier

Thumbs down Disappointing!

OK....that was really disappointing. They showed Silver Sands Marina and it looked like the mooring went in Gilford harbor somewhere. The segment could have been more interesting and they could have shown the lake rather than the silly boat lift. I was hoping for more.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
gtxrider

Default I watched

Makes me want to strap on the gear and get wet. They could have showed more of the lake but that is not a dirty job is it?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #11
gravy boat

Default Dirty Job

We thoroughly enjoyed the segment over here in Gilford. We watch Dirty Jobs on a regular basis and love the show, so it was neat hearing Gilford and the Lake mentioned on this episode.

Has anybody figured out where the mooring field was? We didn't recognize the shoreline. At first I thought it might be in the LSP area???

Thank you for the heads up to watch tonight!

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
jetskier

Default Neither is singing the National Anthem

Quote:
Makes me want to strap on the gear and get wet. They could have showed more of the lake but that is not a dirty job is it?
There was a lot of peripheral footage in the baseball segment. I just felt that
they kinda shortchanged the Winnipesaukee segment. At least half was the marina footage and that was about as interesting as watching grass grow. I am glad they shot up at the lake, they just could have done much more.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:05 AM   #13
Gatto Nero

Default Why so complicated?

Is installing a new mooring really as complicated as they made it seem? They dropped in the concrete weight, then went in and flipped it over, then attached a lift bad and moved it where they wanted it to go, then attached the mooring chain to it. I installed my own by dropping the mooring where I wanted it to be with the mooring chain already attached. I did go down in scuba gear afterward, but only to to check that it landed right side up. You would think that if they had a barge just for the purpose they could even skip that part by lowering it in slowly with a crane of some sort. A guess it wouldn't be such a dirty job though, huh?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #14
Steveo

I was confused by a portion of the episode. They took the mooring into what looked like shallow water. Then they placed it on top of some rocks. The way I thought moorings work were - 1. the weight and 2. the suction the mooring creates with the sand/mud on the bottom. That is at least they way my mooring works. After a year on so on the bottom my mooring is usually buried due to the chain dragging the sand/mud around the edge of the block. Every 2 years or so I dig it out to make sure the eyebolt that goes through the entire block is still properly attached to the bottom. It just seemed weird they placed it on top of a rock pile.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
MJM

My mooring definitely relies on the burying/suction effect to stay put, but then again, it weighs far less than the one they were placing.

It was a decent segment, but I kept wondering what others have already posted: Why not attach the chain before dropping it, and why not drop it where you want it?
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #16
Senter Cove Guy

Default Dave Put My Mooring Block In

I hired Dave Ferruolo to drop a 1000 lb mooring block in front of our place in 2005. Same barge was used. Sure enough, Dave dropped it over the side off the dolly and it landed upside down on the bottom. Dave had an air cylinder on the barge with a long air hose and scuba regulator attached. He slipped on a mask, regulator in place and jumped overboard and I watched in amazement as he hand flipped the 1000 lb'er right-side up just as he did on last night's show.

As a side comment, I was impressed with Mike Rowe's singing of our national anthem.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
Bubba

Default Think about it

I am surprised that Senter Cove Guy did not anwer some of the questions. And I guess this is why in some cases, you might want to hire a "professional".

To your direct questions: A) Not all of Winni is sand bottom. There is lots of bottom that is all rock. Quite a bit in fact. Also, if the installer is good, they take that into account, as well as other things such as boat size to be moored. That way the customer doesn't need to buy more than needed. Others don't care. CYA. (No need to go into the mathmatics of suction at this point.)

B) Sometimes you need to understand the details. In the show, they were doing an installation in a "mooring field". It is absolutely critical to get the correct placement. Off of your our personal property, close enough can be good enough.

C) Like driving a car, the more miles you drive, the better the odds of getting into an accident. I don't know of ANY "professional" that would drop a weight with a chain attached. Too dangerous. You may get away with it once or twice. Not worth the chance over time. You have to get in the water anyway. Wait to attached the chain after the weight is set. Also, fouling of the chain under the weight is a possibility.

Sometimes it goes easy. Sometimes not. Anyone can do the easy ones. Then there is liability ...
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
To your direct questions: A) Not all of Winni is sand bottom. There is lots of bottom that is all rock. Quite a bit in fact. Also, if the installer is good, they take that into account, as well as other things such as boat size to be moored. That way the customer doesn't need to buy more than needed. Others don't care. CYA. (No need to go into the mathmatics of suction at this point.) ...
My only point about the placing the block was that they place it on a rock "pile" when there was sand right next to it.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #19
mrylmbt

Default mike rowe

he use to sing opra. thats why he sound good
mrylmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #20
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy
I hired Dave Ferruolo to drop a 1000 lb mooring block in front of our place in 2005. Same barge was used. Sure enough, Dave dropped it over the side off the dolly and it landed upside down on the bottom. Dave had an air cylinder on the barge with a long air hose and scuba regulator attached. He slipped on a mask, regulator in place and jumped overboard and I watched in amazement as he hand flipped the 1000 lb'er right-side up just as he did on last night's show.

As a side comment, I was impressed with Mike Rowe's singing of our national anthem.

Mike's a trained opera singer. Gotta listen to O&A on XM Radio to get treated to his vocal talents. He's a classic.