Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
bkgoodman

Default Interior Carpet

I'm thinking about replacing the interior carpeting in my boat. (Can't get rid of the smell of .... whatever it is...)

Anyone have any experience with this? What kind of carpet do I get? Is this an easy job?

There is also a very "thin" material that the ceiling is coated with. It's soft like carpet, but isn't push. Anyone know what this is - or where to get it?

(FYI - My boat is a 23' Maxum 2300SCR. It is a small "mid-cabin" boat).

-BKG
bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgoodman View Post
I'm thinking about replacing the interior carpeting in my boat. (Can't get rid of the smell of .... whatever it is...)

Anyone have any experience with this? What kind of carpet do I get? Is this an easy job?

There is also a very "thin" material that the ceiling is coated with. It's soft like carpet, but isn't push. Anyone know what this is - or where to get it?

-BKG
You will get many answers on this, but I recommend going to Lowes or HD and buying some indoor/outdoor carpet and spray gluing it in. I have done the rug in mine 2X this way in the 10 years I have owned it. Cost was about $60
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
fpartri497

have you tryed steam cleaning from a proffessional carpet cleaning co. yet? they can steam clean and deodorize at the same time. then use those little buckets of moisture removers.

good luck

Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
bkgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
have you tryed steam cleaning from a proffessional carpet cleaning co. yet? they can steam clean and deodorize at the same time. then use those little buckets of moisture removers.
I have not.

I have a bit of mold/Mildew in it. Do you think it's worth trying??
Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Ms Molly McKever

Default Carpet Replacement

Quote:

-BKG
I just replaced the carpet in the cabin of 2005 chaparral,(snap in carpet) I got a carpet remnant at a local store,I cut the carpet to size, had it bound, I put the snaps on. carpet 32.00-have it bound 20.00-snaps 14.00 total 66.00 Looks great. Taylor made wanted 436.00.Looks like my liveing room.
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
fpartri497

Quote:
I have not.

I have a bit of mold/Mildew in it. Do you think it's worth trying??

I absoultly do agree Its worth trying

Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Great Northern Cleaning

Default Carpet cleaning

We can clean your boat carpets with great results and also wet fog it with milgo which will get rid of the smell. We guarantee our work, so if your not satisfied...there no charge. We can come to you..even if your boat is in the water..we can clean it for you. Can also clean the upholstery. We provide free estimates before work begins. Check us out at www.greatnortherncleaning.com Frank
Great Northern Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Great Northern Cleaning For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (09-13-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
JasonG

I had to replace the carpet in my 18' maxum a few years ago. Straight forward except had a bit of trouble with some of the corners.

Outdoor carpeting is fine but make sure the glue is marine based carpet glue. I know it is in the cuddy but it cant hurt to do it the right way. FYI good deals on marine carpeting on ebay.

I also took this time to reepoxy the whole floor and do some repair work on the wood floor too.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
bkgoodman

I had a guy come and steam clean the carpets. He did an amazing job, and the very small bits of mold I had came out easily.

He advised spraying areas/corners of the carpet/boat subject to mold with Microban - a disinfectant that is used to treat things to inhibit the growth of mold/mildew/bacteria/viruses - everything. So I did this.

Anyway - I was very happy with how it came out.

I think that there is some leaking which is allowing water to get in to the aft cabin, and probably caused the bit of mold there was. I re-caulked the back window, so - we'll see!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
corollaman

Rick and Ann at Shipshape Marine can help you.They re-do rugs,and clean them too.Their number is 528-7769.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote