Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Little Bear

Default Boat gas on pontoon boat carpet

I had a gas tank erupt on the stern of my pontoon boat. I closed the vent prior to Irene's arrival, and left it closed while I was gone. When I returned I found that the tank had apparently erupted due to heat, which spewed gas all over the carpet on the stern.

It's discolored the carpet some, but the smell is really bad. Any ideas on how to remove this smell other than time and air?
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Kamper

Let it dry out then maybe baking soda and water. Just don't let rinse water run into the lake.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
bkgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
It's discolored the carpet some, but the smell is really bad. Any ideas on how to remove this smell other than time and air?
Time and air are two important factors that cannot be undermined!

In addition to these:

I think the best thing I've done has been to use a "steam cleaner" or "steam vac" - (which don't really use "steam") - but any of the types of machines that soak it with hot water and sucks it away - irrigating the carpet with hot, soapy water. You could even do this with a bucket of HOT water and soap, and a shop-vac if need-be.

Heat - not a lot, but a little - like for example, leaving them in the sun (or heated room, or a sun-room), as opposed to a frigid shed all winter long. Obviously, if there is any risk of *fumes*, then *don't* keep them in an enclosed space. - Have to add this for liability ;-)

But like I said, you will need time, air and warmpth to get to job from 95% to 100% done!
bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
jrc

Time and air will remove the gasoline and its smell but usually not the other stuff in the gas. I would use a detergent, at least some simple green to soak it and then rinse it with clean water. Bk's idea of the steam cleaner is a good way to do this.

I bet the barometric pressure drop during the storm caused your eruption. This is why there is a vent in the first place.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default You may want to try this...

http://biogreenclean.com/

I haven't used this product, but I've talked to someone that used it to clean oil spills on a garage floor. He loved it.

Good Luck.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Little Bear

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Great Northern Cleaning

Default Carpet cleaning

We can come to your location and clean your boat carpets. We use van-mount carpet cleaning. www.greatnortherncleaning.com
Great Northern Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote