Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
hazelnut

Default 2-Cycle Oil Question

Hello and please forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I did a quick search before posting but came up empty.

I have owned snowmobiles before but never brand new. Well now I have a brand new Snowmobile. Just bought it last weekend. I am looking for suggestions on 2-stoke oil. The manual says I should use Polaris VES II Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil. Does anyone have any comments on this. Could any experienced owners tell me if it is completely necessary that I use Polaris Oil. If so where is the best place/price to buy it at. If not what suggestions/brands/locations should I consider.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I haven't had to fill the oil tank yet as it is only a quarter down but I want to top it off next time I refill the gas tank.

Again Thanks for any input.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
WeirsBeachBoater

Well, many people stick to OEM oils. However as we all know these oils are produced by outside sources. I have had great luck with Spectro Synthetic. It burns clean, has low odor, and the exhaust valves don't build up with residue.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
jeffk

As long as the sled is in warranty I would stick with what is recommended if possible. If there are any engine problems there will be no questions that an approved oil was used. Yeah, it will probably cost you a few extra bucks to use the OEM oil.

After the warranty expires use what you feel will be OK and save some money.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
trfour

Default hazelnut....

Here is a link for more info; http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...5483#post85483

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
chipj29

I agree with JeffK. If within warranty period, use the recommended oil. No need to even risk being denied a warranty claim over a $10 difference in oil.

If you decide to use an oil other than what is in the tank, it is best to not mix different kinds of oil. Especially if you decide to switch from synthetic to mineral oil!! Drain as much oil as possible out of the tank before you refill with the new oil.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
Well, many people stick to OEM oils. However as we all know these oils are produced by outside sources. I have had great luck with Spectro Synthetic. It burns clean, has low odor, and the exhaust valves don't build up with residue.
I second Spectro Synthetic, we switched to it last year and it eliminated most of the smoke and odor. We bought a case of 4 gallons to make it more cost effective.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Woodsy

HazelNut....

Dont cheap out and wreck your new motor!

No matter what brand of oil you use, you need to use a synthetic. Dino oil gums up the power valves and causes issues. That being said...

Go with the Polaris Synthetic until the warranty is up. After the warranty is up the Spectro WBB recomends is good stuff. I use Amsoil and have used Royal Purple in the past.

Just remember... ALWAYS USE A FULL SYNTHETIC OIL!

Woodsy
Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
murph

I had the same question couple years ago when I bought my firecat. It recommends using the Arctic Cat APV synthetic oil. I use that for the most part. Its worth it to me to spend the little bit extra money to use the recommended oil from the same company that makes my sled. However, I asked this question so if I was ever out on the trail and needed oil, I'd know what else works good. I was told Amsoil Interceptor is a great synthetic oil and is slightly cheaper then the Arctic Cat stuff. Yours is polaris but I assume its pretty much the same idea. good luck.
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
hazelnut

Thumbs up Huge Thank You

First off I want to give all of you a huge thanks for all the information. It came through pretty loud and clear that I should stick to the manufacturers recommendations for now. I'll probably just use the Polaris Oil for the life of the sled as I plan on keeping it for a long while.

So the answer to Question #2..... Where to buy? Do most snowmobile dealers in the area carry Polaris Oil? Do any big box stores carry it? I'd buy a case if I could get my hands on it and it was offered at a discount.

Again thanks for the info and trfour thanks for finding the link for me.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
First off I want to give all of you a huge thanks for all the information. It came through pretty loud and clear that I should stick to the manufacturers recommendations for now. I'll probably just use the Polaris Oil for the life of the sled as I plan on keeping it for a long while.

So the answer to Question #2..... Where to buy? Do most snowmobile dealers in the area carry Polaris Oil? Do any big box stores carry it? I'd buy a case if I could get my hands on it and it was offered at a discount.

Again thanks for the info and trfour thanks for finding the link for me.
Polaris oil would most likely only be available at a Polaris dealer. Since Meredith Harley no longer sells Polaris, they may have some oil kicking around they want to get rid of. I have not seen OEM oil at any big box stores lately.

Also, I am inclined to disagree with Woodsy stating to always go with synthetic. I have a Sea Doo with power valves. Sea Doo in fact recommends the synthetic for that motor (951). I also have a Ski Doo with power valves. Ski Doo recommends straight mineral oil. So I use synthetic on the Sea Doo, and mineral on the Ski Doo.
hazelnut (01-26-2009)
Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Seeker

Watch for sales at local dealers. I use Rochester Sports (Polaris and Arctic Cat) and they have frequent sales on oils and accessories as I'm sure most dealers do. When you see it at a good price stock up, it doesn't go bad. My 4 strokes use synthetic in the crankcase and it went up considerably this year. Not as bad as my Vette though which uses Mobil 1 which I can't even find.
If you need to switch oils just make sure the specs match what Polaris calls for - they cannot make you use a specific brand of oil.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
HomeWood

I'd also recommend using Polaris oil during your warranty just to cover yourself and keep the reciepts. I use Amsoil Interceptor synthetic in my Ski-doo Formula. Burns pretty clean and doesn't foul my plugs.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote