Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
PastorT

Default Moultonborough

I'll probably be renting in the Moultonborough area next summer. We've rented in Meredeth for years.

Can anyone tell me about the boating activity (Is it calm enough in general for a bass boat and wake boarding)? Fishing and general information would be appreciated?

Is there a webcam in that area?

PastorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Gatto Nero

"Moultonborough area" covers a lot of ground. I believe there is more shore front in Moultonborough than any other town on Winni. You might want to be a little more specific if you want to get an answer that will mean anything to you.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
PastorT

Default Ok

Thanks for the advice.

The area of the cottage is Suissvale there is a small island called Birch Hill.

I hope that helps. I really don't know much more since I'm more accustomed to to the Meredeth area.

Fishing and Boating info is most appreciated.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
islandAl

Default area fine for your activities

while I do not fish myself, almost every weekend, I am awakened by the "bass boats" leaving the Lees Mills launch site which is not far away. Therefore, the fishing must be good. Moultonboro bay just a short hop "down" lake will give you plenty of space for the wake boarding. The area right in front of Birch Hill Island is large enough and many do ski there, but it is well travelled and other traffic might be a problem.
Get someone local to show you where the safe routes are away from the island as there are some rock piles away from the shore.
Enjoy
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
jeffk

Default Calm as long as there is not a lot of boat traffic

My house is right next to Suissevale. The water is very calm and there are a lot of people fishing in the area. On weekend afternoons the boat traffic builds up and the wake is choppy. I agree with IslandAl, unless you just want some short runs the immediate area may be a little tight and there is a fair amount of traffic. I see people skiing all the time so it is doable. If you head out the channel toward Moultonborough Bay and bear slightly right toward Langdon Cove it is very nice for skiing. Wide open, out of the traffic lane, and reasonably calm.

One caution. It is NOT wide enough in the channel for 2 boats to pass at speed and follow the 150 ft rule. The Marine Patrol does watch the area and actively tickets boats. If you are the only boat in the channel and stay in the middle I don't think they'll bother you but if there are other boats near you, be careful. That said, it is unfortunately very common for people to violate safe passage in the channel.

Right around Birch Hill is a no wake zone towards the Suissevale beach.

You should also make very sure you watch the markers in the area. There are nasty rocks in some spots and the markers are close together and can be confusing. The travel paths are well marked on maps but you need to pay close attention. There are also some nasty rocks near the shore that are not marked. I have a boulder about 40 ft from shore and only a few inches under the water and several others only about 2 ft down. I put out my own markers for the area.

If you want a nice ride, head up to Green's Basin. There are a lot of no wake areas so it will take a bit of time but it is very scenic.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I live in Susissevale. The water is fine at the times you'll most likely be using it. Early morning late afternoon. If the weather is anything like last year you'll be the only out there anyway. It is tight near the beach in Susissevale and there are some rules for using the boat ramp there and the beach Parking is tight and no trailers allowed. So you'll need to drop the boat and bring the trailer home.
I have to do that with my Jetski trailer even. Not a big deal really. Just watch the new speed limit if you have a fast boat as well.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
dpg

I'm also in Suissevale...Watch out for rocks, lost and lots of rocks. If you want to park at the beach during the day be sure the property owner leaves you a parking pass for your car. Owners can obtain them in the spring. If your home is frequently rented chances are the owner will have one for your use. NO parking at the beach or the near by vacinity without one and there is a "parking cop" there all summer. I'm really not sure what the "rules" are for the boat launch I also just launch there and pull away (I have a Suissevale dock) the boat stays in the water. I know you do need to be a member of Suissevale to use the ramp really cannot comment on how closely this is monitored. It's a fun association with a decent beach, jeez I'm missing it right about now.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
PastorT

Default Thanks

About the new speed limit. Did that pass and what is it?

Fortunately, my boat only tops out at about 40MPH but, it's nice to know.

Thanks for the info about the area, I'll be sure to keep my lake map handy.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
sa meredith

Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorT View Post

If you have a couple of hours, I submit, for your viewing pleasure....

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6252
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorT View Post

sa meredith had it right, please read that thread, or google it -- i think that subject has been covered way beyond done here.