Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
archstanton

Default Marine Patrol end of season

Does anyone know when the MP call it quits for patroling the lake? Just curious as at what point we will be "on our own" out there.
archstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Probably, they keep the last patrol boat in untill the water freezes around their docks in Gilford and the boat would be iced in.....probably aproximately January 5.....depending on the winter temperatures.

It would appear that they maybe sold off their 41' former Coast Guard uti;ity launch because it is no longer tied to its' usual spot at the dock. It had been up for sale last spring. So, who bought it and for how much.....anybody know?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Little Bear

It got sold to a pilot boat company in Mass for $25,000. The owner is gutting the entire vessel and will use it to transport pilots who are taking vessels through the Cape Cod Canal. I think the State got it for $1.00 from USCG, so they made a cool $24,999.00 profit. I wonder if they'll send some of this profit to Washington?
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
It got sold to a pilot boat company in Mass for $25,000. The owner is gutting the entire vessel and will use it to transport pilots who are taking vessels through the Cape Cod Canal. I think the State got it for $1.00 from USCG, so they made a cool $24,999.00 profit. I wonder if they'll send some of this profit to Washington?
In the several years that boat was keep at Glendale, the only time we saw it under way was for training.

Keeping that boat maintained and at the ready must have cost quite a bit each year so the "profit", if any, was probably not a lot.

Agree with FLL that the MP probably has some capability to respond as long as the lake is navigable.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Only on Weekend Days otherwise on call

I called into the marine patrol one night the phone forwarded automatically to the NH State Police last season in the fall. I think there on call for the rest of the season, maybe a few patrols out on weekends. It might be better to call the local fire dept for help.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I do believe the best thing to do late in the year as long as you have cell coverage, is call 911 if possible. The 911 dispatcher will take care of notifying local, Police and Fire, or if possible the Marine Patrol. The bottom line is the later into the fall you boat, the more you are on your own, and the longer the response time has the potential of being, depending on where you are at.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Guy

Think the lights come out this weekend. Be careful.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
fpartri497

Default marine patrol advertisement

just saw yesterdays union leader advertisement for recruits for marine patrol for next boating season 2011.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
HUH

Default Mp

Whats happened to the Marine Patrol? Looks like millions worth of equipment sitting at the docks most of the time.. No money left for officers
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
I don't think so. But I have not noticed any reduction in my taxes since they sold it.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
fatlazyless

At about 3-pm today, I'm pretty sure that I saw the Meredith Police 22' Boston Whaler police boat as it headed north past Buoy 3, and up the inside passage of Bear Island. It must have been a totally terrific day for a patrol run! At about 5-pm, the temp sign at Laconia Savings directly across from Gilford Wal-Mart said 70-degrees, plus it was sunny out.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
fatlazyless

At about 5-pm today, saw the large big yellow TowBoat-USA towing something like a 21' bowrider up north past Buoy 3.

And, it looks like the Meredith police boat is probably out of the water for the winter, so could be that my above post was that boat's last patrol of the season and it was headed for the boat ramp.