Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Chickie

Default CFL Light Bulbs

Is there a collection center in the Laconia area where we can drop off spent CFL light bulbs or do we have to hang onto them until the hazardous waste collection day comes around next July? They are touted to last much longer than the incandescent ones but I am finding they are not. If you happen to drop one and it breaks, I understand you can't touch it as they are very dangerous because of the mercury they contain. I didn't know what I was getting into when I purchased these things, but had read they were no longer going to manufacture the incandescent bulbs. If there are no convenient places where people can drop them off, I can only imagine most of them end up in the trash.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Nellie

Default Lowes

I've heard that you can bring them to Lowes and they will dispose of them.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

There is a cost involved, but I use this service both at home and at the office. I buy a recycle box and when it's full they arrange to ship it back. It works great for us.

http://prepaidrecycling.com
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
boat_guy64

Default CFL bulbs

Lowes will take them in their recycling bin in the front of the store. FYI...Best buy will take your old CRT TVs up to 32 inches. I disposed of several 27 inch TVs a few weeks ago.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Cal

I've skipped over the CFLs and went right to LEDs. More expensive but safe and very energy sipping
Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
ghfromaltonbay

Default Cal, you're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I've skipped over the CFLs and went right to LEDs. More expensive but safe and very energy sipping
Good to see you posting again on the forum. How're things in south Jersey?
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
Denny Crane

Default Incandescent bulb ban

The ban was overturned last December 2011. It's now a myth so people can stop stock piling them in their bunkers. I can't get any type bulb to last in my lamp post for more than 2 months. The previous owner had an incandescent last 10 years in it.
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
...I can't get any type bulb to last in my lamp post for more than 2 months. The previous owner had an incandescent last 10 years in it.
I had two 9W CFLs running outside on a photocell. Like you, they lasted only a few months. I found it cheaper to just leave them running 24/7, electricity included - they have lasted 3 years, and counting.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
The ban was overturned last December 2011. It's now a myth so people can stop stock piling them in their bunkers. I can't get any type bulb to last in my lamp post for more than 2 months. The previous owner had an incandescent last 10 years in it.
Is that true? I hadn't heard that. So we still have a choice?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default One Year Extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Is that true? I hadn't heard that. So we still have a choice?
I heard the ban on incandescent bulbs was only extended for one year...Can't confirm this however.

Oops! Here is an article from The Washington Times saying the ban was in fact overturned! http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ight-bulb-ban/

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 12-06-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Found the facts!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I heard the ban on incandescent bulbs was only extended for one year...Can't confirm this however.

Oops! Here is an article from The Washington Times saying the ban was in fact overturned! http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ight-bulb-ban/

Dan

THanks for posting that. I am very fond of the old fashioned light bulbs. I am glad they are not banned.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
I don't think it says that the bill was overturned, at least I don't read it that way.

Here is what it states:

"The spending bill doesn’t actually amend the 2007 law, but does prohibit the administration from spending any money to carry out the light bulb standards — which amounts to at least a temporary reprieve."
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
P-3 Guy

Default For Clarification...

Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...-bulb-ban-0701
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

That sure is an interesting article...from the left.Which is fine but I get turned off right away and tend to discredit anything that followed after seeing its initial agenda which it scolds on the other side.

I'll yield and say I'd love to see incandecent bulbs that are 25% more efficient.Where andwhat are they?How is it possible?Anybody have any answers?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Just bide our time

Eventually, LED lights will come down in price, and they will last a long time. I do have a friend who has replaced almost every fixture in his house with LED bulbs, and swears by them...He does say it takes a little getting used to the "color" of the light, but found it better than CFL's.

Just going to miss the sound of that incandescent bulb exploding when it hits the floor after being dropped while standing on a ladder. And of course it is always the good bulb that drops, usually when you try to save the old bulb from falling.
Ropetow (01-22-2013)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64 View Post
Lowes will take them in their recycling bin in the front of the store. FYI...Best buy will take your old CRT TVs up to 32 inches. I disposed of several 27 inch TVs a few weeks ago.
So will FLL.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
HellRaZoR004

I recently replaced nearly all the incandescent and CFL bulbs in my house with LED bulbs.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...1#.UMDScuTAd_g

I got these from Home Depot, which also come with an instant $5 off coupon in NH. Initially I never liked the color of LEDs and how they were never bright enough. These however are brighter than the CFL equivalent and the color is not the awful blue/white.

I also replaced all the recessed lights with these, which also come with I think a $10 mail in rebate:
http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...1#.UMDTVuTAd_g

I still need to replace a number of fixtures that use halogen bulbs. Those things get hot, and use a lot of power.

I also think CFLs are a waste of time. They take too long to turn on fully (especially in the winter) and a lot of people get headaches from them.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (12-07-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
That sure is an interesting article...from the left.Which is fine but I get turned off right away and tend to discredit anything that followed after seeing its initial agenda which it scolds on the other side.

I'll yield and say I'd love to see incandecent bulbs that are 25% more efficient.Where andwhat are they?How is it possible?Anybody have any answers?
You have quite the imagination if you think that article is written "from the left". Jim DiPeso (who I like) is a conservative and at the time he wrote that article he was the policy director for the "Republicans for Environmental Protection".
Old 12-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You have quite the imagination if you think that article is written "from the left". Jim DiPeso (who I like) is a conservative and at the time he wrote that article he was the policy director for the "Republicans for Environmental Protection".
Thank you, Rusty, for reading beyond the headline and all the way to the byline. Sometimes facts are inconvenient things.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
willcastner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
The CFLs deffinatley have cost saving benefits but the hassles that come along with them can make them not worth it to some. The LEDs have the cost saving benefits, none of the hassel and last forever. Once the LED techknowledgy comes down in price to create a relistic payback period these bulbs with be the only way to go. You can see more and more cars with LED bulbs right from the factory so I don't think this is far away.

Will
willcastner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #21
ApS

Lightbulb Very Cool Item—I WANT ONE!

Once again, Soundings magazine comes to the rescue of Rattlesnake Island.

Quote:
The EmergiBulb doubles as a standard LED light bulb in AC mode and as a portable flashlight with a built-in lithium battery when switched to DC. Simply screw the bulb into a standard light socket and turn it on. If the power goes out, remove the bulb and slide the switch to turn it into a flashlight. Available in warm or bright light, it retails for $32. AE Light, Rogue River, Ore., (541) 471-8988. www.aelight.com
Put one in the crawl-space, too?

This is available from Amazon.com, so remember to cite http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/ when ordering.

ETA:

No surprise—at $28.57, Amazon.com is "out of stock"—but will still be taking orders.

Last edited by ApS; 01-20-2013 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Out of Stock, link,
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
songkrai

I don't see the cost savings of LED over Fluorescent.

I still have one fluorescent bulb that I purchased at Grossman's in Laconia.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #23
songkrai

Got this from my other provider of electricity.

IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT YOUR ELECTIC BILL

Because more customers are installing renewable energy systems such as solar and wind, and energy efficiency measure such as compact fluorescent light bulbs and refrigerator recycling, APS is allowed to implement a new charge to recover a portion of the fixed costs.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #24
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Got this from my other provider of electricity.

IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT YOUR ELECTIC BILL

Because more customers are installing renewable energy systems such as solar and wind, and energy efficiency measure such as compact fluorescent light bulbs and refrigerator recycling, APS is allowed to implement a new charge to recover a portion of the fixed costs.
Nice...In the summer we drive more so gas goes up. In my hometown water usage goes up in the summer so does the rate. Screwed everywhere you turn.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Nice...In the summer we drive more so gas goes up. In my hometown water usage goes up in the summer so does the rate. Screwed everywhere you turn.
hey we are Americans, we are supposed to get screwed

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #26
Whimsey

Default Save on CFLs and LEDs

The energy savings of an LED over an incandescent light is enormous. And while some may point to a slight increase in energy overhead cost/kwh as more people conserve, not only will the overall cost be much less, but in the longer term, less new facilities to cover peak demand will be needed and capital costs will be lower. It's a no brainer.

Since Jan. 1st, instant coupons (sponsored by NH Saves...a coalition of NH energy suppliers) are available in Lowes, HD and many of the local hardware stores. The LED's, at $10 off each bulb, become pretty economic, not to mention they last more than 20 years and are the right thing for the planet.

$1 off each 1 – 3 pack of ENERGY STAR qualified CFL light bulbs
$3 off each 4 – 5 pack of ENERGY STAR qualified CFL light bulbs
$5 off each 6 – 9 pack of ENERGY STAR qualified CFL light bulbs
$10 off each pack of ENERGY STAR qualified LED light bulbs
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #27
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
The energy savings of an LED over an incandescent light is enormous. And while some may point to a slight increase in energy overhead cost/kwh as more people conserve, not only will the overall cost be much less, but in the longer term, less new facilities to cover peak demand will be needed and capital costs will be lower. It's a no brainer.

Since Jan. 1st, instant coupons (sponsored by NH Saves...a coalition of NH energy suppliers) are available in Lowes, HD and many of the local hardware stores. The LED's, at $10 off each bulb, become pretty economic, not to mention they last more than 20 years and are the right thing for the planet.

$1 off each 1 – 3 pack of ENERGY STAR qualified CFL light bulbs
$3 off each 4 – 5 pack of ENERGY STAR qualified CFL light bulbs
$5 off each 6 – 9 pack of ENERGY STAR qualified CFL light bulbs
$10 off each pack of ENERGY STAR qualified LED light bulbs
^^ pretty much sums it up. I however will stay away from CFLs, they are crap. Take too long to warm up (especially in the winter) and the flicker is awful. Dimming them can be hit or miss. LEDs by far are the best.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #28
Waterbaby

Default Hate CFLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
^^ pretty much sums it up. I however will stay away from CFLs, they are crap. Take too long to warm up (especially in the winter) and the flicker is awful. Dimming them can be hit or miss. LEDs by far are the best.
My husband works at a Lowe's store, and they are getting ready to discount the incandescent light bulbs. I told him to stock up on them, I totally hate the CFLs because of the warm-up period and the horrid light they throw.............. Just call me old-fashioned, I don't care if the CFLs last 20+ years (and who is going to save the packaging and the receipt to prove it????????????), I just prefer the "regular" light bulbs.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #29
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
My husband works at a Lowe's store, and they are getting ready to discount the incandescent light bulbs. I told him to stock up on them, I totally hate the CFLs because of the warm-up period and the horrid light they throw.............. Just call me old-fashioned, I don't care if the CFLs last 20+ years (and who is going to save the packaging and the receipt to prove it????????????), I just prefer the "regular" light bulbs.
Same here, every CFL light bulb we have ever bought has lasted only a fraction of the life expectancy and the 3-way bulbs are the worst.
We use them in lights that do not get used often which defeats the purpose.
Hopefully the LED lights come down in price soon.