Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
rgilfert

Default 1958 Century Coronado

When I was eight years old my Grandfather bought a brand new 1958 Century Coronado for himself (I put a couple of pictures of it in my "1958 Summer Vacation" album). It was truly "his baby"...and in an attempt to keep other family members from driving it (aka my Dad)...he bought a second boat with a small outboard motor for everyone else to use. He was only marginally successful with this strategy however for my Dad used to regularly take "the women" of the house (and myself) to Wolfeboro in it (from Melvin Village) on the guise of having to go food shopping. After my Grandfather passed away and when I turned 16 I was allowed to use the boat at will.....and the memories & stories I have about using that boat during the following eight years I could bore you all with for hours. Phenomenal opportunity & experiences that I'll never forget!! I'm not sure what the engine was that was in it. I know that it was a big block ... and I've been told that it might have been an early/prototype Ford 427 cuin motor but I don't know. I remember distinctly that it had dual 4 bbl carburetors and there was a sticker on each of the chrome valve covers that read "sodium cooled racing valves". Perhaps one of you might know the correct displacement and manufacturer of the block? Unfortunately the boat was sold in 1974 while I was in the Navy due to dry rot in the hull. Subsequently, and for many years the boat remained on the lake (I used to see it infrequently emerging from under the bridge leading from Wolfeboro's Back Bay)...but then I stopped seeing it all together. I sincerely believe that it might have been used as the "model" for Peter Ferber's early water color featuring a Century Coronado...only because it looked exactly like it (except that the painting had a chrome rear swim ladder in the rear..but that could have easily been added after the fact). In all of my years on the lake...I've never seen another one like it. Does anyone know whether the boat is still on the lake? I'd love to see it again....and reminisce!
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
NoBozo

Default 1958 Century Coronado

In 1958, the 21 foot Century Coronado had four V-8s available. There was a Gray Marine V-8 at 225 HP. There were two Chrysler V-8 options, one at 225HP and another at 275 HP.

There also was a Cadilac V-8 at 275 HP and last, there was a Ford Interceptor V-8 at 215 HP.

In 1959, the Coronado got a totally new hull and the max HP was upped to 325. NB

(Ref: Speltz; Real Runaboats II)

PS: The biggest V-8 I can remember in 1958 was the Chevy 348 ci (Truck engine) that was put in some Chevy Impalas. I'll stick my neck out and guess that 427s didn't come out until the mid sixties. Your boat may have been repowered in the sixties.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Just Sold

RGILFERT I loved your story and all of the photos you posted in the Gallery. If you have more photos post em!
There was a 21' Century Coronado w/movable hard top in Alton Bay on Echo Point in the 50's and early 60's but the hull had more white in it. I loved seeing that boat and always wished my dad had one too. It was sure fast.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
mowtorman

Default 58 coronado

catalog pic
Attached Images

mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
catalog pic
That's the one! Thanks Mowtorman
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
catalog pic
I believe the model shown is a '59 model. The distinctive "beak" at the bow was new for 1959 and distinctly seperates it from the '58 and earlier models which were more traditional. If you look at the text in the ad, I think it also says 1959. The sliding hardtop was always optional. NB
Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
rgilfert

Thanks, NoBozo! When I saw the picture I was saying to myself that it doesn't look anything like the one that we had...and that explains it!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
ghfromaltonbay

Default Peter Ferber print

I bought the Peter Ferber print entitled "1957 Century Coronado" and it is hanging on the wall right behind my chair here in the den. I just checked and it says print 91 of 100. I love this picture! From the background it looks like the boathouse at which it is docked may be in Winter Harbor. There is a hardtop Coronado still resident in Alton Bay off 28A. The boathouse where it resides is across from Sandy Pt. and slightly north of the Point.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
NoBozo

Default Try Google

Here's one I found on Google. If you like projects and are feeling ambitious.... Scroll down through ALL the pictures of this restoration. I just plugged in 1958 21' Century Coronado. There are quite a few to choose from. If you know the serial number of the original boat..you might find it by Googling "Century Boat Club" . NB

http://www.centuryclassicpowerboat.c...5866/m5866.htm

EDIT: Here it is: (A GOLD Mine of Info including engines and engine displacements. http://centuryboatclub.com/cbcindex02.htm
Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
mowtorman

Default 58 coronado

from Trading Dock, couldn't read fine print on Fiberglassics pic, I like them all
Attached Images

mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
rgilfert

GHfromaltonbay: I have the same print as well...I bought it many years ago in Wolfeboro. I'm not sure what my print number is...it's on Rattlesnake and my boat (like a dope) isn't in the water yet. Perhaps the boat that my Grandfather bought in 1958 was really a leftover from '57 (I guess I'll never know) because they certainly look and are painted the same. I wish that I had the print in front of me because my recollection was that the print didn't have an air scoop on top of the engine compartment and our boat did (see photo):
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
NoBozo

Default Coronado Registry

Buried on the Century Boat Club site I found a list of 522 Coronados registered with the club. The boats are listed by Owner, State, or Year...and in some cases by boat name. Just click the button. NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

There is a newer Coronado for sale at Goodhue Hawkins on 25 Moultonborouh. It is brown and needs a good buffing! I love Coronados
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
ghfromaltonbay

Default No air scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
GHfromaltonbay: I have the same print as well...I bought it many years ago in Wolfeboro. I'm not sure what my print number is...it's on Rattlesnake and my boat (like a dope) isn't in the water yet. Perhaps the boat that my Grandfather bought in 1958 was really a leftover from '57 (I guess I'll never know) because they certainly look and are painted the same. I wish that I had the print in front of me because my recollection was that the print didn't have an air scoop on top of the engine compartment and our boat did (see photo):
I just got up and looked at the print which I bought a few years back. There is no air scoop on the engine compartment, there is a flag mounted in that spot. Can't wait to get up to the lake and see some Coronados again in person. Have to wait till Alton turns on the town water north of the bridge so we can get back to Sandy Point.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
NoBozo

Quote:
That picture is priceless. First: The "Air Scoop" would make sense if there were TWO Four barrel carbs. The front of the engine is higher than the rear....need clearence for the front carb.

The Sun Glasses ..are Period..and collectible. NB

rgilfert: Is that you to the right of that lady with the sun glasse..??
Old 04-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Alton Bay

The owner of the Coronado in Alton Bay is active with the Antique Boat Museum. The museum folks might be helpful resources in finding information about the boat.
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alton Bay For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
rgilfert

NoBozo: The "Fashion Plate" wearing the sunglasses is my Mom...and you guessed it...I'm the kid at her side pointing at something. My Grandfather is at the wheel...and if I'm not mistaken...I can just see a piece of my Grandma's hat next to him in the front seat. If that is her....this would be one of only a VERY few trips that she ever took in the boat. She couldn't swim and hated to be out in boats!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
Fargo

Default Century

Hey rgilfert you and I are the same age. I started working at Channel Marine when I turned 14 and stayed thru college. I'm sure I changed the oil on that boat at some time. Great memories.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
rgilfert

Fargo: The similarities continue....I was the gas boy at what is now Trexler's Marina under the Long Island Bridge (I believe however that it was still Prince Marina at the time) the summer of 1968 (just prior to my freshman year in college). Other summers (1969 & 70) I worked as a stock boy at a general store in Melvin Village. You're right...Outstanding memories!!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
ghfromaltonbay

Default NJ guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
The owner of the Coronado in Alton Bay is active with the Antique Boat Museum. The museum folks might be helpful resources in finding information about the boat.
I know the owner of the Coronado in near Sandy Point. He's a NJ transplant (lucky him). I planned to speak to him when I get back to Alton Bay about finding more info about the 1958's. He's a wealth of knowledge..
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
chillininnh

I have had the pleasure of being around wood boats my whole life. My brother has a 1957 Century Coronado that Scott Hayes at Hi-Gloss Boat Restoration restored to absolute perfection. Cruising the lake in these beauties really does take you back in time, I love it.
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chillininnh For This Useful Post:
winnisummergal (04-17-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
Matty67

Default Alton Bay Coronado's

The 59 Coronado belonged to my dad -(Cascades) mostly white like mentioned ,Don Purdy had the 57 Coro without a roof (50 Special) and Gordon Oickle had a 57 with the roof (Bonnie Lee) all great boats in the eary time in Alton Bay!
Attached Images

Matty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matty67 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-03-2012), ghfromaltonbay (04-20-2012), Just Sold (04-23-2012), mowtorman (04-22-2012), Mr Cooke's Crew (04-23-2012), NHBUOY (04-23-2012), Tallyho (04-23-2012), Webbsatwinni (04-19-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #23
coronado

Default coronado's

It's nice to see the interest/info gathered about these classic boats. I think that seeing and hearing these beauties on the lake is priceless. But what also makes me cherrish these boats are the memories created on the lake years ago that still are carried on to this day. Who raced who, who had what for power etc. Who, while leaving the town docks (after one too many cocktails) backed into a large cruiser, causing a scene. It's all too funny and one of the reasons that folks who were lucky enough to grow up on the lake should never take it for granted.

All that being said... I have a 58 in my garage. It has the 354 Hemi motor which has a yellow cautionary decal on the valve cover that states it has sodium filled valves. Hope this helps.....
coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #24
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronado View Post
It's nice to see the interest/info gathered about these classic boats. I think that seeing and hearing these beauties on the lake is priceless. But what also makes me cherrish these boats are the memories created on the lake years ago that still are carried on to this day. Who raced who, who had what for power etc. Who, while leaving the town docks (after one too many cocktails) backed into a large cruiser, causing a scene. It's all too funny and one of the reasons that folks who were lucky enough to grow up on the lake should never take it for granted.

All that being said... I have a 58 in my garage. It has the 354 Hemi motor which has a yellow cautionary decal on the valve cover that states it has sodium filled valves. Hope this helps.....
Based on the optional engines tables in the Century Boat Club site:

http://centuryboatclub.com/centuryengines1942-1968.htm

Both Chrysler V8 engines offered in 1958 were 354 Hemis. One was 225 HP and the other was 275 HP. I'd guess the sodium cooled valves were in the 275 HP motor. NB

EDIT: Here is some pictures of the Chrysler 300C engine for 1957. Notice the Distinctive shaped valve covers. They do not look like Ford or Chevy or Buick valve covers. The pictured engine has TWO Carburetters with seperate air filters. In a boat, the air filters would be replaced by the little square "Flame Arresters" as shown in the lower picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine
Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #25
rgilfert

Great info, thanks everybody! Sounds as if a Chrysler 354 Hemi 275 HP is the answer to my question. With the weight of the boat and how quickly it would accelerate (I used to regularly pull three skiers out of the water on one ski) it's hard to believe that it was only 275 HP (especially with the dual quads)....but perhaps it was grossly understated by the manufacturer (for insurance purposes) much like the big automotive companies did for their performance engines during the mid-60s to early '70s muscle car era.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
rgilfert

NoBozo....the bottom picture is absolutely the engine that was in our boat! I distinctly remember the square flame arrestors and valve covers (now that I see them)...thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
rgilfert

Coronado: does your '58 Coronado look just like the one in my picture?
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #28
Mr Cooke's Crew

Default 59 Coronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty67 View Post
The 59 Coronado belonged to my dad -(Cascades) mostly white like mentioned ,Don Purdy had the 57 Coro without a roof (50 Special) and Gordon Oickle had a 57 with the roof (Bonnie Lee) all great boats in the eary time in Alton Bay!
I loved this boat & the others.Thoes were good times.
Mr Cooke's Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #29
NoBozo

Quote:
NoBozo....the bottom picture is absolutely the engine that was in our boat! I distinctly remember the square flame arrestors and valve covers (now that I see them)...thanks!
No need to thank me rgilfert . I enjoy the hunt. I'm retired and have the Time and the Interest.

Early in my quest to learn more about the Coronodos..I found one For Sale. I don't know if it was restored or not. It was listed at $42,500. NB
Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #30
Matty67

Smile Ok Mr Coronado

Quote:

I think i know who this is! God their isn't to many hemi 58 Coro's around! for the record I was not driving my dad's Coronado that night down at Alton bay !
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #31
coronado

Default You got me!

Matty, been awhile.... hope all is well.

To answer the question, yes my 58 looks just like the one in the photo, kinda....I've been in the process of restoring her for years... motor, interior, chrome all done... just need to finish the hull. Time and money the hold up. Been working on a 62' Chris Craft Holiday which is almost done. Will use procedes from that boat to pay for the coronado.

I also remember some other coronado facts I learned while researching mine. The hood scoop on the motor box only came on the Caddy and Hemi boats(because of the dual 4bbl. carbs). Another way to determine the motor size was by exhaust pipe size. All smaller motors had 2 1/2 exhaust while the Caddy only came with 3" exhaust (why the hemi didn't I don't know).

Both the Hemi and the Caddy were very close in performance. The Caddy being listed with slightly higher horsepower..and weighed less than the Hemi. The Hemi was/is a torque monster. The Hemi redlines @ 3900rpm and max torque is 3600rpm. Pulls all the way through...

Any way you look at it, the coronado has always been in a class by itself as far as power and luxury.

And Matty, I'm in the book or stop in if you see the garage doors open. The Holiday just needs a windshield and the back seat uhpolstered. Hope to start the coronado (again) this summer .....
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #32
Matty67

Default Coronado

I hope you and Dale are well,i have been by a couple of times in the last few weeks but haven't seen the "door "open. cant wait to see the Holiday and the Coro! funny story looked at a 61 on tuesday- major resto so keep your eyes open for a 61 or 62.....
Old 07-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #33
Webbsatwinni

Great story I found will researching boats, not this lake, but applies to this thread.

http://www.woodyboater.com/barn-find...t-lake-mohawk/
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #34
pointofview

Quote:
Coronado: does your '58 Coronado look just like the one in my picture?
I believe that photo was taken at Winnipesaukee Motor Craft in Winter Harbor. I was a gas boy and boat washer there for a few years back in the 70's. I own a '91 Limited Edition. Bought in 2007 from a woman in Jockey Cove. Like new condition with only 90 hrs on her! Boat had been on a lift in her boathouse. I would love to be able to get a jpg of that photo as I am a Coronado enthusiast and worked at WMC. Let me know if this is possible!
pointofview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #35
rgilfert

Default Absolutely!

Pointofview, you are correct....that picture was taken at Winnipesaukee Motor Craft. I am happy to send you the picture in jpg format. You might be interested in seeing another photo of it in my Album titled "Summer Vacation - 1958". And there is another picture that was taken at WMC in my Album "Summer Vacation - 1956" that you might be interested in. The pictures in my albums are pretty low resolution....I can send you much higher resolution copies if I can figure out how (although the photo originated from a color slide so it won't be great.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #36
NoBozo

Quote:
...I can send you much higher resolution copies if I can figure out how (although the photo originated from a color slide so it won't be great.
You can't make a LOW resolution photo into a HIGH resolution photo no matter WHAT program you have. The results can only be As Good as the original input. NB
Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #37
rgilfert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
You can't make a LOW resolution photo into a HIGH resolution photo no matter WHAT program you have. The results can only be As Good as the original input. NB
I guess what I was trying to say is that by scanning at a higher DPI...the resultant image would more accurately depict the original image (albeit still low resolution). Said another way....at a higher DPI I can provide a better copy of a "bad" image.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #38
pointofview

Thanks rgilfert,
I would very much like to see those pictures but dont know how to access your albums. If you could try to improve the quality of those slides to look more like the original quality and send them to me, it would be very much appreciated! I have many old Winnipesaukee photos hanging on my walls, but none of WMC, especially with a beautiful Coronado parked at it! I will PM my email to you...
Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #39
pointofview

PM sent...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #40
coronado

Default Meredith Boat Show

Just wondering how many of you classic boat fans ( and especially you century fans) attended the Meredith show this past weekend?.... Several nice coronados there. Many nice boats on hand this year. The quality of the restorations is amazing. Great to see the hobby carry on. We finished a 1962 Chris Craft Holiday just in time for the show and sold her in the "field of dreams" Had a great time there... met some great folks and saw some good friends.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
rgilfert

Default Purchased about the same time......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
I bought the Peter Ferber print entitled "1957 Century Coronado" and it is hanging on the wall right behind my chair here in the den. I just checked and it says print 91 of 100. I love this picture! From the background it looks like the boathouse at which it is docked may be in Winter Harbor. There is a hardtop Coronado still resident in Alton Bay off 28A. The boathouse where it resides is across from Sandy Pt. and slightly north of the Point.
Ghfromaltonbay....I just checked my Peter Ferber print of the Century Coronado....and mine is numbered 90 of 100, we probably brushed shoulders as you were entering the gallery and I was leaving!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #42
pointofview

Could one of you guys post a picture of it? Never heard of this print and I have lots of Peter Ferber prints. I assume it was a limited edition and has run out?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #43
songkrai

The story I remember.

My neighbor always had a newer Century. The last one I remember was a late 50's with the sliding roof.
The story at the time was that his Century had a special ordered engine. And that it was a Cadillac engine.
I have no way to verify this.
I do remember folks stating that this was the fastest (non-modified) boat on the lake at the time. That may have been a bit of an exageration but the boat was fast.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #44
pointofview

The Cadillac engine was the most powerful. Speeds in excess of 50 mph for the Coronado, but nowhere near the fastest boat. Marriotts had a few boats that could break the "century" mark back in those days!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #45
John A. Birdsall

Default century

There is one forsale in Alton Bay, At Rich Fiore's Boat shop just before the bay. I thought about it for a weekend, but I did not care for the roof. I think at the camp it would be tough to get into it. I actually thought gee maybe that hard roof could come off. (if it did it would probably go faster)
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #46
Matty67

Default Boat show

Quote:
Just wondering how many of you classic boat fans ( and especially you century fans) attended the Meredith show this past weekend?.... Several nice coronados there. Many nice boats on hand this year. The quality of the restorations is amazing. Great to see the hobby carry on. We finished a 1962 Chris Craft Holiday just in time for the show and sold her in the "field of dreams" Had a great time there... met some great folks and saw some good friends.
Great time it was! The CC came out amazing.Check out my pics of the show on Century Facebook,yah the Holiday was in there!
just wondering if you guys have time to check out that 61 with me?