Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #101
fatlazyless

Just googled NH Marine Trades Association and learned it is a political action committee, or a PAC, and is located at 65 Gold St in Laconia, and what's also interesting is that 65 Gold St is also the address for Lakeport Landing Marina.

Back in 2008, Lakeport Landing Marina was very big with its opposition to the Lake Winnipesaukee 45-mph speed limit, so having the same address raises a red flag on this no-wake speed issue.

In motor boating, the size of the boat makes a difference, and what works good for say a 16' boat with a 40-hp motor, can be a lot different for a 27' or 32' boat with a 900-hp motor; how it putt-putts along slowly cruis'n down a no-wake zone. Just seems like for these big powerful, mega monster, big money BEHEMOTHs ....the putt-putt speed is just too danged slow of a putt-putt .... and the boat captain is always aching to put the pedal to the metal ..... push that throttle(s) way forward ..... power it up ...... and move on up and outta that no-wake zone ...... as long as there's no Marine Patrol nearby ..... big, fast, powerful boats just want to go fast ..... is what it seems?
FlyingScot (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #102
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Re-read the bill, does not mention "total control", only steerage. That said, in my example, I'd be able to point my bow 360 degrees without any difficulty. In one direction, I'd be going -1 MPH SOG, in the other direction I'd be going +9 MPH SOG. Any heading in between would result in a velocity between those two speeds with total control.

I'm not being silly, I'm being realistic. There's a reason "6MPH" is in the law now, this is the reason. IF they want to make a realisticchange, just make it 5 MPH.

You are being silly. There is no way you could keep your bow directly in the current, all boats wander. As soon as your bow came off 180 degrees to the current you would fall off, effectively losing steerage.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #103
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I think it's about time this wording got corrected for the way that MP intends it to be on the lake. There will no longer be any question. No Wake will now mean NO Wake to everybody without any misunderstandings.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #104
Chimi

Everyone who is a resident of NH should contact their representative and tell them to vote NO on this foolish bill. Those of us who are not residents cannot vote in NH, although it still would not hurt to call.
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #105
Garcia

Quote:
Anyone that's ever operated a boat going upstream into a stiff current can understand why this is dumb. Against a 5 MPH current, my boat can still steer at -1 MPH SOG. In other words, I can be going 4MPH against the water and be in total control of my boat while moving backwards at -1 MPH relative to the shore. If this passes, anyone that can steer their boat at 5 MPH or less may not legally go upstream into a 5 MPH current. They need to adjust the wording to make it clear that actually making headway is the goal when it comes to headway speed, defining the speed by steering capability alone is dumb dumb dumb...
In earlier threads about NWZs there are those who argue that as long as you are not exceeding 6MPH you are fine, regardless of the wake being created - and are willing to take the time and effort to challenge a ticket which means the MP is off the water and in a courtroom.

This poster’s scenario is definitely not going to create a wake, nor will he receive a ticket.

If I have to choose between the two scenarios, and it seems we all do as there is always that group looking for loopholes rather use common sense and follow the intent of the law, I opt for the revisions to the rule.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #106
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

The NWZ discussion is one more indication that the human species is doomed.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (02-16-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #107
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
You are being silly. There is no way you could keep your bow directly in the current, all boats wander. As soon as your bow came off 180 degrees to the current you would fall off, effectively losing steerage.

Um, no. That's not at all how it works. If boats were like that, you'd never be able to steer them at all.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #108
The Real BigGuy

You don’t know what your talking about or, you’ve never driven a boat at headway speed. Yes they work like that. Try holding the helm in one position and see what happens. You’ll turn slightly in one direction then turn slightly in the other. Against a current that is pushing you backwards (your example) the boat would not be able to recover even if you turned into the current. The only reason you go straight in normal conditions is because you have the velocity to overcome the velocity of the water.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #109
fatlazyless

Default ..... a Neanderthal can steer a motor boat!

At no wake speed of 6-mph, the larger hull of a bigger boat makes it more difficult for the captain to maintain the desired direction. Not enough engine torque to control it against wind, waves, and current.

Is just like trying to paddle a stand up paddle board using just your hands, and not the paddle, with the sup gets pushed by wind, waves and current.

Moving water can have a lot of resistance working against the hull, and more resistance working against a bigger hull.

See ...... you need to get a smaller boat!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #110
Poor Richard

If steerage is lost then why is it all boats don't loop around and end up in the ocean?

The physics at play do not require a vessel to overcome the velocity of the water as the hull is not acting as a dam.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #111
The Real BigGuy

So a Hull has 0 drag? Boy, that is one efficient hull.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #112
Cal Coon

This thread is causing me the worst popsicle headache I have ever had...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #113
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Don't call your rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimi View Post
Everyone who is a resident of NH should contact their representative and tell them to vote NO on this foolish bill. Those of us who are not residents cannot vote in NH, although it still would not hurt to call.
As noted above (#90?) the House voted on this already. Too late to call your Rep. A hearing will be scheduled in the Senate and they will vote later.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Chimi (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #114
Dave R

Quote:
You don’t know what your talking about or, you’ve never driven a boat at headway speed. Yes they work like that. Try holding the helm in one position and see what happens. You’ll turn slightly in one direction then turn slightly in the other. Against a current that is pushing you backwards (your example) the boat would not be able to recover even if you turned into the current. The only reason you go straight in normal conditions is because you have the velocity to overcome the velocity of the water.

Yeah, you got me. My experience operating a power boat in current is limited to just the Piscataqua, Penobscot, Lamprey, Cocheco, Taunton, Annisquam, Connecticut, Songo, Merrimack, Potomac, Tom's, Susquaehanna, Pawtuxent, Chester, St. Lawrence, Rideau, Ottawa, Hudson, East, and Harlem Rivers; and Rondout, Esopus, and Otter Creeks. Also, it was never for more than a couple of weeks at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (02-22-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #115
Garcia

Doesn't steerage mean going where you want to go? If so, how can you maintain steerage if your speed is not enough to overcome the effect of current or wind and you are moving backwards? Sure, one can keep control of the boat and keep the bow pointing in the correct direction, but is this the same as steerage? Maybe I'm missing the point of the post...

Regardless, for Lake Winnipesaukee, I like the proposed revised definition of NWZ as it is clear in its intent. At least it is to me...

Last edited by Garcia; 02-18-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #116
Chimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
As noted above (#90?) the House voted on this already. Too late to call your Rep. A hearing will be scheduled in the Senate and they will vote later.
Correction - call your State senator.
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #117
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Doesn't steerage mean going where you want to go? If so, how can you maintain steerage if your speed is not enough to overcome the effect of current or wind and you are moving backwards? Sure, one can keep control of the boat and keep the bow pointing in the correct direction, but is this the same as steerage? Maybe I'm missing the point of the post...

Regardless, for Lake Winnipesaukee, I like the proposed revised definition of NWZ as it is clear in its intent. At least it is to me...
NH does not define "steerage", nor do COLREGS.

Merriam Webster says:
Definition of steerageway

: a rate of motion sufficient to make a ship or boat respond to movements of the rudder

Does not mention what direction the motion needs to be.

I totally agree on intent and I think most boaters will understand. I also believe it will make no difference to damaging wakes, but will make congestion worse in tight channels when a few boaters inevitably fail to understand the intent and take the law at face value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Garcia (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #118
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Too slow, Joe

We've seen it posted here before. A too slow boat impedes the passage and control of a larger boat. LB lays on the horn and then sets her anchor on the slowpoke's stern pole. Slow poke, illegally impeding the safe passage of the larger boat, adds throttle. Problem solved. Stern pole saved. A great example of two captains cooperating for safe boating. Why don't these pokes get it?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #119
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Anyone that's ever operated a boat going upstream into a stiff current can understand why this is dumb. Against a 5 MPH current, my boat can still steer at -1 MPH SOG. In other words, I can be going 4MPH against the water and be in total control of my boat while moving backwards at -1 MPH relative to the shore. If this passes, anyone that can steer their boat at 5 MPH or less may not legally go upstream into a 5 MPH current. They need to adjust the wording to make it clear that actually making headway is the goal when it comes to headway speed, defining the speed by steering capability alone is dumb dumb dumb...
The problem with your example is that you (appear to imply) that MPH is defined as what the speedometer reads at the time. If I take my truck on to the ice and spin the tires until my speedometer reaches 50 MPH am i actually traveling 50 MPH?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #120
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
The problem with your example is that you (appear to imply) that MPH is defined as what the speedometer reads at the time. If I take my truck on to the ice and spin the tires until my speedometer reaches 50 MPH am i actually traveling 50 MPH?
I never meant to imply how speed needs to be measured, I just think there needs to be an actual measurable and articulable limit expressed in speed over ground, not an arbitrary one expressed as the ability to steer. I don't really care what the limit is, but there needs to be one, otherwise you end up with confusion and tickets based on someone's opinion of how slowly someone else should go and still be able to steer. I cannot imagine why we'd ever want to define a law this way when there is a superior alternative (miles per hour) that's been in use for decades in the state.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #121
Woodsy

Dave R.... I agree. The current law sets that number as 6MPH.

Woodsy
Old 02-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #122
Outdoorsman

Quote:
I never meant to imply how speed needs to be measured, I just think there needs to be an actual measurable and articulable limit expressed in speed over ground, not an arbitrary one expressed as the ability to steer. I don't really care what the limit is, but there needs to be one, otherwise you end up with confusion and tickets based on someone's opinion of how slowly someone else should go and still be able to steer. I cannot imagine why we'd ever want to define a law this way when there is a superior alternative (miles per hour) that's been in use for decades in the state.
I think the point is, there is way to accurately measure (speed over land) MPH when you are on the water unless you are using a GPS.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #123
Rusty

Default What is the speed of the current?

Question:

The speed of a boat in still water is 30 mph. It takes the same time for the boat to travel 5 miles upstream as it does to travel 10 miles downstream. What is the speed of the current.

Don't google this to get the answer, all you captains should be able to answer it by your vast experience.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #124
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Question:

The speed of a boat in still water is 30 mph. It takes the same time for the boat to travel 5 miles upstream as it does to travel 10 miles downstream. What is the speed of the current.

Don't google this to get the answer, all you captains should be able to answer it by your vast experience.
I know the answer...
Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #125
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Question:
Shall I post the simple one-equation/one-unknown algebra solution, or should I wait and not ruin the puzzle for others?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #126
fatlazyless

The correct answer to the question asked is the current is 5-mph, except in the real world of boating in the Weirs channel, you need to consider the different drag coefficient for each boat.

A 16' fishing boat with a 40-hp outboard can weigh 800-lbs, while a 27' cruiser with twin 450-hp inboards can weigh maybe 10,000-lbs. The length, weight, and surface friction work together to determine the drag coefficient, and how each boat is effected by the 5-mph current, plus the hull is effected by the wind, too.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #127
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I think the point is, there is way to accurately measure (speed over land) MPH when you are on the water unless you are using a GPS.
GPS receivers are more ubiquitous than smart phones (every smart phone has one, and a large percentage of boats have GPS).
Old 02-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #128
chipj29

Quote:
Agree completely. How will MP know what speed is required on each and every boat to maintain steerage? I see this as causing confusion and many ticket challenges in court.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #129
Woodsy

We have a de-facto speed limit of 6MPH now... We have that because conditions are variable, and every boat has a different steerage speed.

I would propose that we remove the NWZ definition and just replace it with a 5MPH zone. Easily definable, and easy to enforce!

Woodsy
Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #130
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Agree completely. How will MP know what speed is required on each and every boat to maintain steerage? I see this as causing confusion and many ticket challenges in court.
I disagree and think it will lead to fewer issues. It clears up the intent of the law - go slow and minimize the wake (I said minimize as I realize one cannot completely eliminate it). Those people who are going to contest a ticket under the current system (I was going 6MPH...) are probably the same ones who are going to contest a ticket under the proposed system (I can’t steer my boat if I go any slower...).

As to GPS in a boat, perhaps I’m the exception to the rule. I’ve driven a wide range of boats during my five decades on the lake and only the most recent has had GPS - in fact, most have not had a speedometer. In my current boat I rarely turn on the GPS; I’ve never felt the need to use it to monitor my speed in a NWZ or anywhere else.

I feel confident I can get through a NWZ safely and efficiently - and my guess is so can anyone else on this forum. That said, it is interesting in these winter months to talk about boating - ice out is not far away!
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Senior Chief (05-30-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #131
Pineedles

Default One solution

I've got the answer to the problem in the Weirs Channel. Block off boat access to the channel. Winnipesaukee boats stay in Winnipesaukee proper, and Paugus Bay boats stay in Paugus Bay. Problem solved.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
RTTOOL (02-23-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #132
thinkxingu

Kinda like...

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #133
Pineedles

It's a discussion, not an argument. Shutting down a discussion means there will be no exchange of ideas, or a little humor occasionally.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #134
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
We have a de-facto speed limit of 6MPH now... We have that because conditions are variable, and every boat has a different steerage speed.

I would propose that we remove the NWZ definition and just replace it with a 5MPH zone. Easily definable, and easy to enforce!

Woodsy
Could not agree more. This works really well outside NH.This aspect of boating does not need to be complex.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #135
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
I disagree and think it will lead to fewer issues. It clears up the intent of the law - go slow and minimize the wake (I said minimize as I realize one cannot completely eliminate it). Those people who are going to contest a ticket under the current system (I was going 6MPH...) are probably the same ones who are going to contest a ticket under the proposed system (I can’t steer my boat if I go any slower...).

As to GPS in a boat, perhaps I’m the exception to the rule. I’ve driven a wide range of boats during my five decades on the lake and only the most recent has had GPS - in fact, most have not had a speedometerr. In my current boat I rarely turn on the GPS; I’ve never felt the need to use it to monitor my speed in a NWZ or anywhere else.

I feel confident I can get through a NWZ safely and efficiently - and my guess is so can anyone else on this forum. That said, it is interesting in these winter months to talk about boating - ice out is not far away!
Well said, Garcia! The intent of the law is to NOT make a wake. it has nothing to do with speed limit. And as you said most people in most circumstances on the lake will still be able to steer. As MP has said before, they have been taken to court over this and have won. And this argument which is the same thing over and over and over is exactly why this change in the law is needed. The 6 MPH was never intended for the lake. After it is passed, there will be no more dispute. No wake is no wake. And if there is the occasional boat or current that requires a boater to go a little faster at certain time, I am sure the MP is smart enough to figure that out.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #136
Dave R

Quote:

As to GPS in a boat, perhaps I’m the exception to the rule. I’ve driven a wide range of boats during my five decades on the lake and only the most recent has had GPS - in fact, most have not had a speedometer. In my current boat I rarely turn on the GPS; I’ve never felt the need to use it to monitor my speed in a NWZ or anywhere else.

You probably have not been taking full advantage of the allowable 6 MPH. Think of the time lost!

FWIW, I've had GPS on my boats since 2005 and use it extensively. My latest boat has two GPS plotters (a 10 year old one that still works great, and a brand new one that displays Active Captain). I plan to augment them with a tablet running Navionics as well. I explore/cruise (off Winni) quite a bit and like to have as much information as possible to avoid touching bottom. One of the props or shafts on my latest boat costs more than the tablet, the newer GPS, and the Navionics app combined, so it's money well-spent if it keeps the props and shafts straight. I think Active Captain is a must for anyone that likes to do multi-day cruises too, it's super handy.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #137
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
It's a discussion, not an argument. Shutting down a discussion means there will be no exchange of ideas, or a little humor occasionally.
Ummm...that was a "little humor."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (02-20-2019), TheRoBoat (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #138
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Could not agree more. This works really well outside NH.This aspect of boating does not need to be complex.
As you well know, boating outside of New Hampshire or off of Winnipesaukee is an entirely different experience.

"No wake" speeds are about twice what they are on Winnipessaukee and there is no safe passage law. If you go through a no wake zone in Florida at the same speed you would go through the Weirs Channel you could get rear ended.

I think that different interpretation partially explains why so many boats with out of state registrations go through the Weirs Channel throwing a significant wake and have no idea that they are doing anything wrong. It means different things to different people in other states.

Even without a safe passage law it always surprises me in Florida when another boat overtakes and passes mine at 30 to 40 MPH and is almost close enough that you could shake the Captain's hand. I think so many people are just unaware of the wake behind them and how much it affects other boats they pass.

We have it pretty good on Winnipesaukee and most boat operators are courteous and respectful. The state could have stopped making new boating laws and new No Wake zones on Winnipesaukee about 15 years ago and we might all be better off.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (02-21-2019), Seaplane Pilot (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #139
Seaplane Pilot

Default And the good news is....

While MP wastes their resources busting people for making white foam and ripples smaller than a duck makes, they will not be bothering me while I cruise (safely) in the Broads at 65-70. Lemonade out of lemons!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (02-24-2019), RTTOOL (02-23-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #140
Woodsy

Just like the Speed Limit proponents said when that debate was raging...

You need an actual NUMBER to allow for enforcement, as "reasonable & prudent" was too vague.

The same goes here... you need a number. Different boats have different steerage speeds. How do you differentiate? How can you tell if they are going over their "maintain steerage" speed? At what height does a wake become a violation? How do you write a ticket for that?

Woodsy
Old 02-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #141
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
As you well know, boating outside of New Hampshire or off of Winnipesaukee is an entirely different experience.

"No wake" speeds are about twice what they are on Winnipessaukee and there is no safe passage law. If you go through a no wake zone in Florida at the same speed you would go through the Weirs Channel you could get rear ended.

I think that different interpretation partially explains why so many boats with out of state registrations go through the Weirs Channel throwing a significant wake and have no idea that they are doing anything wrong. It means different things to different people in other states.

Even without a safe passage law it always surprises me in Florida when another boat overtakes and passes mine at 30 to 40 MPH and is almost close enough that you could shake the Captain's hand. I think so many people are just unaware of the wake behind them and how much it affects other boats they pass.

We have it pretty good on Winnipesaukee and most boat operators are courteous and respectful. The state could have stopped making new boating laws and new No Wake zones on Winnipesaukee about 15 years ago and we might all be better off.
I like the way it's done in Ontario. The government posts some areas at 10 KPH for safety reasons and people understand and expect that there will be a small wake at 10KPH (6.2 MPH). Additionally, there are private signs that say "no wake please" where people really don't want a wake. You don't have to obey the "no wake please" signs, but most do and drop to less than 10 KPH out of courtesy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-29-2019), Woodsy (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #142
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
You probably have not been taking full advantage of the allowable 6 MPH. Think of the time lost!
And therein lies the problem. “Taking advantage of the allowable 6 MPH” regardless of the effect on others, and “...time lost.” Now it is so much easier, look behind you, if you see white you’re creating a wake, slow down.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
tis (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #143
Woodsy

Quote:
And therein lies the problem. “Taking advantage of the allowable 6 MPH” regardless of the effect on others, and “...time lost.” Now it is so much easier, look behind you, if you see white you’re creating a wake, slow down.
Ah yes.... effect on others. What effect might that be? There is very little energy difference in wake between 2-3MPH or 5MPH. Erosion is minimal.

However... all it takes is 1 loser to go thru the Weirs Channel at 2MPH on a busy summer Saturday to cause a boat traffic jam 1/2-3/4 of a mile long. Resulting in 40+ boats having to shift in and out of gear to try and maintain steerage in a 2-3 knot current.

So again the effect on others?

Woodsy
Dave R (02-20-2019), Rob M (04-08-2019), RTTOOL (02-23-2019), TiltonBB (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #144
ApS

Cool "Where the Men are Good-Looking"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
While MP wastes their resources busting people for making white foam and ripples smaller than a duck makes, they will not be bothering me while I cruise (safely) in the Broads at 65-70. Lemonade out of lemons!
ALL of us Lake Winnipesaukee boat captains are above average.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #145
Not to Worry

Default Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
The State of NewHampshire has more laws and restrictions on boating then any other state in the country. In Florida we have substantially more boats per cap.
And basically stick with the Coast Guard guidelines . The lake is used heavy about 8 week ends a year but we have restrictions that imply full usage 365 days a year. Lighten up with this crap
The ICW has more rules than WInni. Not sure where you boat but they have no wake, minimum wake, speed limits in the channel that are different than out of the channel, not to mention the manatee areas, Not to mention miles upon miles of no wake restrictions.

Winni has a speed limit, 150 foot rule, and No wake zones. Florida is far more restrictive than NH.

If people just uses common sense we would have less rules and laws because 90% of us would follow common sense.

Last edited by Not to Worry; 02-23-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #146
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post

If people just uses common sense we would have less rules and laws because 90% of us would follow common sense.
I wish common sense was more common...
Old 02-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #147
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

People People People, can we let this rest...... I think we are beating this topic to death... We all have our opinions right wrong or indifferent.... Voice you opinion to your state official, in the end they will do what they feel is right and we will live with it....
Old 02-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #148
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, you got me. My experience operating a power boat in current is limited to just the Piscataqua, Penobscot, Lamprey, Cocheco, Taunton, Annisquam, Connecticut, Songo, Merrimack, Potomac, Tom's, Susquaehanna, Pawtuxent, Chester, St. Lawrence, Rideau, Ottawa, Hudson, East, and Harlem Rivers; and Rondout, Esopus, and Otter Creeks. Also, it was never for more than a couple of weeks at a time.
Yeah, so what

Dave is easily one of the most experienced boaters I have met!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Dave R (02-22-2019), LIforrelaxin (02-25-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #149
Ryan

Default Huge Shout Out!!!!

Sorry to revive a seemingly dead thread, but just wanted to say thanks to the Assistants to the Regional Marine Patrol officers drinking at Channel Cottages on Saturday afternoon.

They kindly let me and others know that my boat was making a small wake in the current whilst navigating from Paugus Bay back towards the Weirs.

I very politely went to idle and referred them to re-read the updates to RSA 270-1:1 Vi, but decided not to dock up and show them on my phone, since their intentions did not seem to understand or enforce the rules.

Those guys are the real heroes we need on the lake!
CooperS7777 (06-05-2019)