Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
WakeboardMom

Default Common sense?

This is a very scary thing. A boat underway, having just come from a very rocky area with a kid standing on the bow. If they have a map of the lake, they haven't consulted it. I would be so sad to read about this little boy if things went awry. It's a scary thing.

Last edited by WakeboardMom; 06-14-2012 at 08:15 AM.
WakeboardMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
mas1992bc

Where approximately on the lake is this?
mas1992bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

And that MUST be against the law. If you can't sit with your feet hanging over the side even on a big boat with a rail, I can't imagine you can stand on the edge! Stupid!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
surfnsnow

looks like the east side of hole in the wall
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
WakeboardMom

Between the Long Island bridge and the six-pack. If you would like to consult your map of the Lake, that's Foley Island in the back of the picture.
surfnsnow (06-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
katiesmom

common sense is not very common...Clearly...but again I'm sure you and I will be in the wrong just like the tubing........Who cares if they hit a rock and run over the kid....We were just having fun.......................................
katiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
NoBozo

I just magnified the picture 200%. It almost looks like the kid has a fishing pole in his hands.. He's probably noticed how the fisherman in the Bass Boats stand up front. So he figures he'll get lucky and catch a fish while going slow in the channel just like the grown ups... NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Altonbayicefishingfool

Thumbs up

It could be the same guy who came in to rent a boat a few years back and asked me where the brakes were.....or.... It was the family who asked "when does the tide go out" ( refering to lake Winni) hmmmm. There is more than one nut navigating this lake at any moment.. YIKES!
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Rusty

IMHO posting a picture on a forum of people in a boat who are fishing is an invasion of privacy.
Why can't people mind their own business??
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Rangervx

yeah...that's just dumb...but agree with Rusty 1 million %...
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
NoBozo

I LIKE Rusty. I have been wondering where he has been of late... NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Rusty (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Jonas Pilot

It's a public place. If you're not doing anything wrong, or stupid, what difference does it make?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (06-13-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Breaking the law?

Standing on the bow while the boat is underway is against the law. Trouble is most boneheads know the MP is shortstaffed and the MP are wasting time looking for what some fanatics consider the problem with this lake.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Jonas Pilot

My first thought was the guy on the bow was looking for rocks. There's hardly a riffle behind the boat.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Whats The Difference?

Bass boaters do it all the time....
Attached Images

ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Standing on the bow while the boat is underway is against the law...
what law?

He's not breaking this one:

270-D:7 Riding on Gunwales, Bow and Transom. – No person shall operate a motorboat or ride as a passenger in a motorboat while sitting on either the starboard or port gunwales or the transom, and no person shall straddle the bow while the motorboat is in operation underway.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Standing on the bow while the boat is underway is against the law. Trouble is most boneheads know the MP is shortstaffed and the MP are wasting time looking for what some fanatics consider the problem with this lake.
Not just against the law, but dangerous. They weren't fishing. And thanks to the lake level, they were saved because they had just gone over a rock that has taken many a prop and many an outdrive.

"Looking for rocks?" Okay, so what happens if/when the kid doesn't holler in time? "Shoot...Rusty, Jr.'s under the boat! I hope he gets outta the way before the prop gets him!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
IMHO posting a picture on a forum of people in a boat who are fishing is an invasion of privacy.
You're right. LOL...your way is so much better. We should wait until he comes back, hits the rock and we call MP and an ambulance.

I'm out.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
lawn psycho

This post is exactly what is wrong with Lake Winnipesaukee. Everyone wants to find a fault with everything.

It's not like the boat is moving at high speed. I could stand up in my boat and be tossed out just the same. What's next, mandatory seat belts in boats?

Good god I hate the people on Winni more and more.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
Rusty (06-14-2012), Winnisquamguy (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
4Fun

I can see 3 out of the 5 guys holding fishing poles. Probably going 2MPH.

Not the brightest to be on the bow like that but not really a deadly situation. If they hit a rock Rusy falls off, the boat stops, and they all have a good laugh.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
Rusty

I removed Rusty from the boat. He promises never to stand on the bow of the boat again.
Attached Images

WakeboardMom (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
what law?

He's not breaking this one:

270-D:7 Riding on Gunwales, Bow and Transom. – No person shall operate a motorboat or ride as a passenger in a motorboat while sitting on either the starboard or port gunwales or the transom, and no person shall straddle the bow while the motorboat is in operation underway.
If this is true, why are the MP pulling boats over and ticketing those who have folks sitting on the engine hatch with their feet in the cockpit?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I can see 3 out of the 5 guys holding fishing poles. Probably going 2MPH.

Not the brightest to be on the bow like that but not really a deadly situation. If they hit a rock Rusy falls off, the boat stops, and they all have a good laugh.
You can't possibly be serious! He's a little boy! If they have a good laugh, they better not to home and tell mom that they laughed.

I said I was out, I gotta stay out.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post

You're right. LOL...your way is so much better. We should wait until he comes back, hits the rock and we call MP and an ambulance.

I'm out.
And taking a picture would have prevented what? Just say'in.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
Rusty (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
jrc

Quote:
If this is true...
I copied it from State of NH website, do you doubt this is a law? There may be another law applies but I searched for bow riding.

Quote:
...why are the MP pulling boats over and ticketing those who have folks sitting on the engine hatch with their feet in the cockpit?
My guess is they consider the engine hatch the transom.

Now I also guessing if you were standing like the boy in the picture with the boat at any meaningful speed, they could cite you for:

270:29-a Careless and Negligent Operation of Boats. – Any person who shall operate a power boat upon any waters of the state in a careless and negligent manner or so that the lives and safety of the public are endangered shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #25
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
– Any person who shall operate a power boat upon any waters of the state in a careless and negligent manner or so that the lives and safety of the public are endangered shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
I think the key word here is Public..which means to me.."Other People" ..NOT those aboard this boat or part of this boats occupants or passengers. Just wonderin.. NB

EDIT: I think endangering yourself is not against the law..people ride motorcycles..drive trucks on the ice..jump out of airplanes..sail Solo around the world..etc..
Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Uncle Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Rusty, If you are on a PUBLIC body of water you have NO EXPECTATION of privacy... I am not sure why you are adamant and think this it is an invasion of their privacy... It's the same as if you are on a public street in your car and a traffic camera takes a picture of you/your car going through an intersection... In addition, there is no revealing information by this picture as to the bow number of the boat or the identity of the people... How can yo invade their privacy if you don't know who they are??? IMO, there is nothing wrong with the photo other than allowing others to see what dangerous situations exist and thus maybe preventing someone else from doing the same thing... If that kids falls off the front of the boat (i.e. losing his balance, not because the boat was going 2mph) and the driver immediately either puts the boat in neutral or kills the engine, let me tell you that the prop will still be spinning until the boat stops... Anyway you slice it, it is wrong and dangerous... That's the bottom line...
Old 06-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #27
jrc

Well I see an "or" in there, so I read it as "careless and negligent manner" or "so that the lives and safety of the public are endangered"

Now I don't for a minute think that photo shows either condition.

But operating the boat with someone standing there, while on plane would be likely be careless and negligent.

I've seen all kind of crazy stuff with people on moving boats. Context is important. A fisherman at trolling motor speed, or someone standing on the bow or swim platform while docking is different than hanging your legs over the side at speed.

Two weeks ago, I saw two guys on the swim platform of a cruiser at full plane near Spindle point. Scary as hell, illegal probably? Any more dangerous than water skiing, I don't know.

The scariest was two kids around ten on the front sunpad of a big express, laying down like superman, holding on to the rails. I was doing 30 MPH he passed me like I was standing still.

I think it's hard to make a specific law for every stupid and dangerous action.

The crazies will always find a new thrill.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #28
lawn psycho

Broad hopper, I'd love to see MP start issuing criminal complaints for a guy fishing with his kids. No chance in hell a prosecutor would even proceed with a case like this. Why stop there? Let's throw anyone in jail for boating on Winni.

Good grief the perspective and objectivity is gone! Glad I don't own waterfront property as I see most are so bored the spend a good deal of timing yapping about everyone else having fun.

Yep, right here on Winni dot com, let's complain about a guy fishing with his kids, at 2 mph, no wake, harming no one. Oh the freaking horrors!
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #29
AB_Monterey

Invasion of privacy?

I'm dying to hear the logic that's behind having an expectation of privacy while being out on an open boat on a public body of water.

Please.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
Invasion of privacy?

I'm dying to hear the logic that's behind having an expectation of privacy while being out on an open boat on a public body of water.

Please.
It seemed logical at the time I posted it.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
Sleezstak

As you can see, new to the site, new to the Lake. Not new to adults just picking life apart. I am determined to grow old by letting generations learn like i have. Make some bad calls as a kid and a father, learn and move forward.
It is things like this that drive me nuts. I agree with the Rusty.
Seems like part of being a parent now is trying to kill your kids. What happened to Live Free or Die. Now alot of us older folk are trying to determine what is best for the generatins to follow just due to we like to complain about stuff.
This guy in the boat maybe spoke to his kid and said, "you know, bad call". At the same time someone is getting the bow number and writting a letter to drive a law no one should stand on a boat or in a boat.
So you take a picture, post it and pass judgement on what looks to be a family in hopes to stir it up.
Maybe take the time instead to just say, "hey, there are some rocks in there so be careful. Enjoy your day". Maybe the kid steps down, dad says thanks and you make yourself feel better. Maybe not.
Sleezstak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sleezstak For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (06-14-2012), Happy Gourmand (06-14-2012), ishoot308 (06-13-2012), lawn psycho (06-13-2012), Rusty (06-14-2012), Winnisquamguy (06-14-2012), WinterHarborGirl (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #32
budman

Default Common Sense

Don't you have something better to do with your time than sit on your deck, take pictures, and pass judgement?
I happen to know this guy. He was out fishing with his kids teaching them the good things in life, and MINDING HIS OWN BUSINESS. He was on and off his throttle watching for rocks when he notices someone taking his picture (yes he did see you). I would think you would have warned him about the rocks or MINDED YOUR OWN BUSNISS. Some people just have nothing better to do.
Would you happen to come from the Republic of Cambridge?
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #33
Bear Island South

Quote:
Invasion of privacy?

Please.
Maybe invasion of privacy is not the right word...but consent to have your picture placed on a public website comes to mind.

If you are taking a picture of someone you know and my boat happens to be in the background then no problem, but when you take a picture of someone you don't know and delibrately make a post on a public forum without their consent and call them out, yes maybe that is an invasion of privacy.

How would you like if someone pulled up in front of your place and took a picture of you sitting on your deck and posted here saying these people need to get a life.

Thats my two cents.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #34
Kamper

What a beautifulday! I wish I'd been out for a ride.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #35
JPC

Default What a beautifulday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
What a beautifulday! I wish I'd been out for a ride.
Me too! I'm getting tired of all this bickering.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
Happy Gourmand

Default me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
Me too! I'm getting tired of all this bickering.
Live and let live. I've done a lot worse than that in my over 60 years and if you're over 10 I bet you have too.
Just last week I was on my way......oh cr@p...nevermind...I hope nobody got pictures!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #37
NoBozo

Not to worry..Soon there will be a Drone near you........ One of those "Bad Boys" will replace ALL those MPs on the lake. With infrared heat sensing technology, you won't even be able to pee in the lake while swimming. Just sayin..NB
Old 06-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #38
MikeF-NH

Just my quick 2 cents: comparing being on the bow of a bass boat using the electric trolling moter and being on the bow of a ski boat under way of the big gas motor is apples and oranges and a silly comparison. The person on the bow of the bassboat is running (in control of) the electric trolling motor...a device designed to move precisely around underwater obsticles. Operators of these trolling motors seldom move more than 1 mph. The big motor is not controlled by the person in the bow, is not designed for precise movement around underwater objects right at the bow and seldom will cruise down under 2 mph unless they have a trolling plate or sea anchor deployed.

Fishing in the manner shown in the picture is dangerous and if not illegal, certainly should be. Despite what activities passengers are doing, ALL should be in a seat when the motor is in gear. This was on my boating safety courseware and is "the law" in my boat.

...just my two cents...all others are free to break laws or act recklessly at their own peril as long as they don't endanger me or those on my boat. Its only then that it becomes my business.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Rangervx (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #39
Rangervx

yeah...what Mike said...
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
AB_Monterey

I completely agree. If you want to act like a dope, that's certainly your right.

But save me the Gretta Garbo routine when someone snaps a pic of you out in public.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #41
Rusty

Quote:
I completely agree. If you want to act like a dope, that's certainly your right.

But save me the Gretta Garbo routine when someone snaps a pic of you out in public.
Nothing wrong with someone snapping a picture of me while out on the Lake, it's a public place and I might even pose for them . But if they put my face on a forum and tell the whole world that I am acting irresponsible, then I'll send them a PM and we will get to know each other real quick.
Rangervx (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #42
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I agree with Rusty. I don't really think it is fair to post a picture of someone you don't know and start a war with it like we did here. We are all stupid sometimes, some more than others, but to post something without someone's permission just doesn't seem right to me.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Rusty (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #43
Newbiesaukee

This has been a reasonable discussion with some good observations made by a lot of people. I really try to read carefully and understand the differing points of view, given this is the Internet and it is very easy to misinterpret a post. BUT, why oh why do some people give their opinion and feel compelled to add that " you must be from...." Or, "this isn't back there." Or, "they ( whoever that is) always behave that way." In my opinion, if,we could eliminate those references, discussions of issues, large and small, would be much more valuable.

Rant over, you may return to the usual programming.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #44
John A. Birdsall

Default law

someone on this thread stated the law that said it is against the law to operate a boat......I like to point out that they key word to what they are saying is to "Operate" the young man standing on the bow is not operating the boat. Acting stupid perhaps but I don't think he is operating the boat.
Now should the skipper have done something? You bet he should. The boat should have stopped and the person caused to sit or stand within the boat.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #45
SIKSUKR

Default On Golden Pond

This discussion reminds me of little Billy driving the boat while Norman looks for rocks from the bow. You know what happened next.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 06-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #46
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This discussion reminds me of little Billy driving the boat while Norman looks for rocks on the bow. You what happened next.

Somebody put rocks on the bow of a boat and Norman was looking for them?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #47
BrownstoneNorth

Default For the record: The Law, explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
someone on this thread stated the law that said it is against the law to operate a boat......I like to point out that they key word to what they are saying is to "Operate" the young man standing on the bow is not operating the boat. Acting stupid perhaps but I don't think he is operating the boat.
Now should the skipper have done something? You bet he should. The boat should have stopped and the person caused to sit or stand within the boat.
http://boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/oper.htm

Unlawful Operation

"Riding on the Bow, Gunwales, or Transom is allowing passengers to ride on a power-driven vessel in places where there may be a chance of falling overboard while underway. This includes passengers straddling the bow or riding on the gunwales."
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote