Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Jet Ski Baby Airbags

I have no idea what was happening on the lake today, but in the north, after the storm, there were a ton of boats and PWCs—it was ridiculously busy.

But, and this is nuts, we saw seven jetskis with tiny kids—like, not able to hold on to things tiny—between the steering wheel and driver just in the space between Ambrose and Hanson Coves.

When did THAT become a thing?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Winilyme

It’s always been a little thing but I agree, it seems to be a bigger thing. Even with the increased jet skis on the lake this year, it appears a disproportionately larger number of people are doing this. And they are going fast too. I’m not sure how much different this is to driving in a car with your kid on your lap in front of you. It’s not smart in my opinion.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
chachee52

My friend got pulled over on a smaller lake last year with his 5 yo between him and the handle bars (not going too fast). MP told him it was illegal and she had to move behind him. She actually liked it better anyway.
But that doesn't stop most people from doing anything any more.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
Alton Bay (09-27-2020), Top-Water (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
jetskier

Post Today

Hi all,

I went out today after the storms and there was a lot of wind chop and boat chop. I was getting bounced around and it was clearly not appropriate for riding with small children. It seems as though common sense is just not common especially these days.

Also, be careful. The lake is down about 2 feet.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
Cal Coon

Default Oh, the danger we put our kids in...

Can you believe the nerve of those parents back in the old days packing those kids up on the wagon train and exposing them to the elements with no shelter, wild animals, cross country treks on foot through wild Indian mountainous territory with limited amounts of food, water and other supplies... Those poor kids probably wore the same underwear for days on end and had to eat raw food, and God only knows what they used for toilet paper... Oh, the horror!!! By the way, does anybody have the statistics on the number of dead children this year from sitting in between their mom or dad, and the handlebars of the waverunner they were riding on...??? Just curious...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Actually just over 1 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Hi all,

I went out today after the storms and there was a lot of wind chop and boat chop. I was getting bounced around and it was clearly not appropriate for riding with small children. It seems as though common sense is just not common especially these days.

Also, be careful. The lake is down about 2 feet.

Jetskier
From the DES website, lake was at 503.30, just over one ft low, not 2. Here's a link:

https://www4.des.state.nh.us/rti_data/WEIN3_TABLE.HTML

Dave
Old 08-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
jetskier

Post Checked at the Channel

Hi all,

I checked it as I rode past the measurement in the Channel and that indicated 2 feet low.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
Winilyme

It does seems to me that the lake has gone down significantly in just the last week alone. I could hardly run my jet ski off it's lift yesterday. Had to quickly move it out and re-level the legs. Just one week ago, I had no problem and still had quite a bit of excess cable spooled up.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Hi all,

I checked it as I rode past the measurement in the Channel and that indicated 2 feet low.

Jetskier
That sign on the bridge is not correct.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #10
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Can you believe the nerve of those parents back in the old days packing those kids up on the wagon train and exposing them to the elements with no shelter, wild animals, cross country treks on foot through wild Indian mountainous territory with limited amounts of food, water and other supplies... Those poor kids probably wore the same underwear for days on end and had to eat raw food, and God only knows what they used for toilet paper... Oh, the horror!!! By the way, does anybody have the statistics on the number of dead children this year from sitting in between their mom or dad, and the handlebars of the waverunner they were riding on...??? Just curious...
I guess if it's legal and you want to do it then have at it. But perching a six year old kid between you and the handlebars of a jet ski and going 25+ on a busy lake just seems reckless to me. Your argument by the way, or whatever you call it, is ridiculous.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:57 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Yeah, we used to place babies in bassinets on the front seats of cars and smoke while in utero, but, well, we're not as stupid we once were.

I don't even know why I responded to that absurdity.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
I guess if it's legal and you want to do it then have at it. But perching a six year old kid between you and the handlebars of a jet ski and going 25+ on a busy lake just seems reckless to me. Your argument by the way, or whatever you call it, is ridiculous.
These weren't 6-year-olds, they were barely toddlers.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #13
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Yeah, we used to place babies in bassinets on the front seats of cars and smoke while in utero, but, well, we're not as stupid we once were.

I don't even know why I responded to that absurdity.

Seems to me we used to turn out much smarter, hard working, Patriotic kids back in the day when we were so stupid... (as you say). Have you seen what we are turning out lately? Is that really smarter???
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote