Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
JMR

Default Summer Heat = Storms?

I was wondering whether there was anything about the New England or New Hampshire topography that generates thunderstorms whenever we have summer heat waves? I know some forum members are much more trained or aware of the weather than I and would love their perspective on this.
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Jonas Pilot

There's folks on here that can answer this question better than I but for as long as I can remember the forecast from about mid July through August always seems to call for a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

NE topography has little to do with thunderstorms.Florida is the thunderstorm capital of the world.Convection is the main indgrediant.Hot moist air rising cools and condenses creating towering clouds which release when they became too heavy.Another catalyst for severe storms that could lead to tornadoes are cold fronts with colder air sinking under the rising moist air and starting the spinning,cyclonic motion.The only topographical advantage to mountains is that they can create more upflow but at the same time generally cut the legs out of tornadic activity,hence why most tornadoes are in the plains.
Jonas Pilot (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
NE topography has little to do with thunderstorms.Florida is the thunderstorm capital of the world.Convection is the main indgrediant.Hot moist air rising cools and condenses creating towering clouds which release when they became too heavy.Another catalyst for severe storms that could lead to tornadoes are cold fronts with colder air sinking under the rising moist air and starting the spinning,cyclonic motion.The only topographical advantage to mountains is that they can create more upflow but at the same time generally cut the legs out of tornadic activity,hence why most tornadoes are in the plains.
Well said!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Pineedles

Quote:
I bet you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
JMR

Default Thanks

Only been in NH for 45 years, don't qualify as a native. Grew up in the flatlands and while we had lots of heat, rarely had thunderstorms like NH. Always tryin to learn something and facinated with weather and storms
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I bet you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Sometimes it feels like a Holiday Inn!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Pineedles

Sometimes it feels like hell, but I will be in a Rockaway Hilton in NJ this weekend for my best man's 60th birthday. Amazing how time flys. It will be a very goofy party as some of our fraternity brothers haven't seen each other in nearly 40 years! Theta Xi.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
CoastalWx

Quote:
Not entirely true. Topography does have an effect on tstm formation in the Lakes region. There appears to be a funneling affect of southerly winds into the lakes region and towards the whites, due to topography and also heating of the mountains. I'm not going to get too technical, but there appears to be a convergence area which sometimes enhances or causes tstms to develop. Also, mountains have nothing to do with why tornadoes are in the plains. This is a direct result of the unique climatology they have.
CoastalWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Jonas Pilot

Unique to the mountains, the plains or both?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
CoastalWx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Unique to the mountains, the plains or both?

The Plains have a unique combo of having a variety of factors that allow it to be the severe capitol of the world. The basics being cool Canadian air clashing with Gulf of Mexico air. That's where you instability arises. There are more technical aspects of this that I won't bore you with, but that's the main reason. There is some truth to mountains disrupting tornadoes, but don't tell that to the folks in southern Worcester county MA that had an EF3 rip through their towns last year on June 1st.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalWx View Post
Not entirely true. Topography does have an effect on tstm formation in the Lakes region. There appears to be a funneling affect of southerly winds into the lakes region and towards the whites, due to topography and also heating of the mountains. I'm not going to get too technical, but there appears to be a convergence area which sometimes enhances or causes tstms to develop. Also, mountains have nothing to do with why tornadoes are in the plains. This is a direct result of the unique climatology they have.
I think you need to reread my post.You pretty much repeated what I wrote in your 2 following posts.
Jonas Pilot (08-07-2012), Resident 2B (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
chipj29

Guys, don't be so hard on coastalwx. If he is who I think he is, he is very knowledgeable about New England weather. He might not be explaining things the way you want to hear it, but give him a chance.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Resident 2B

I am happy to have another weather "nut" with us. Welcome CostalWx and I apologize for stepping on the toes of our official welcoming person.

I do not want to get into this discussion, but reading the posts, I think both were saying the same thing with different words. My opinion is aligned with their opinions: the main trigger is the clash of air masses, both vertically and frontal driven, and the topography plays a minor role.

Let us weather nuts live in peace!

R2B
Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
CoastalWx

Quote:
I think you need to reread my post.You pretty much repeated what I wrote in your 2 following posts.
Your last sentence was incorrect, that's all I'm correcting.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #16
CoastalWx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Guys, don't be so hard on coastalwx. If he is who I think he is, he is very knowledgeable about New England weather. He might not be explaining things the way you want to hear it, but give him a chance.
My family has a house at the lake and I love it there so I'll throw in a little weather here and there or just talk about the musings.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
CoastalWx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
I am happy to have another weather "nut" with us. Welcome CostalWx and I apologize for stepping on the toes of our official welcoming person.

I do not want to get into this discussion, but reading the posts, I think both were saying the same thing with different words. My opinion is aligned with their opinions: the main trigger is the clash of air masses, both vertically and frontal driven, and the topography plays a minor role.

Let us weather nuts live in peace!

R2B
You guys get great storms up here. I love it.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalWx View Post
You guys get great storms up here. I love it.
I love the storms myself, as long as no one gets hurt.

As I am sure you know, inland thunderstorms are almost always stronger than thunderstorms near the coast. I love the ocean as well, especially its related tropical weather, but the relatively cool ocean knocks the heck out of most thunderstorms.

It is looking like a more active tropical Atlantic starting in ten days or so. What is out there now does not seem to have the upper level support to get real big. A lot of relatively dry air just north of the ITCZ is not helping either. However, SSTs are warm in the area of the ITCZ and that will moisten up the air column during the next week. So, the tropical season should get going, on schedule.

Enjoy the weather!

R2B