Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2023, 09:15 AM   #1
Winni1952

Default Consumer Cellular Service

Does anyone know if Consumer Cellular provides good service around the lake?

Presently have Verizon which is excellent on Rattlesnake Is but looking for a less expensive alternative.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Winni1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Search for Consumer Cellular on this site and you should get your answer.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:44 PM   #3
Winni1952

Yes their site states there is coverage but wondering if anyone has actually had experience with using the service...
Winni1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 03:35 PM   #4
root1

The smaller 'phone companies' don't typically operate their own RF network; they lease channels from the big players like Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile; and are referred to as as a 'virtual' phone companies'.

So, the good news is (ironically) that, as a Consumer Cellular customer, your calls are actually being handled by Verizon, AT&T, etc. But, the bad news is, your calls are typically allocated a lower priority when it comes to assigning channels; most apparent during times of high demand. The 'big boys' take care of their own, first!

Additionally, the employer owned phones of First Responders (typically in more urban situations) are assigned a higher priority ...... they will always be able to make a call regardless of how busy the network.

We're all equal ...... some are just more equal than others!

Last edited by root1; 05-10-2023 at 05:01 PM.
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to root1 For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 07:47 PM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni1952 View Post

Presently have Verizon which is excellent on Rattlesnake Is but looking for a less expensive alternative.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Just an FYI, been with Verizon for many years and every year they hit me for and extra $10. My bill was up to $178 for 2 phones with unlimited service, my wife's is 4G and mine is 5G.
Every few years I call and complain and they knock $10 a month off my bill. This year I call and tell them if they don't give me a substantial discount I'm switching to a new provider. The guy tells me he's going to knock $40 off my bill because I've been a loyal customer for 17 years.
Then I ask if there is any senior citizens discount and he says he's going to give me another $30 a month over 55 discount.
So one call netted me a $70 a month discount, my bill went from $178 per month to $108 per month. I asked if this was a one year deal and he says, no it's forever.
I got to tell you I was shocked how easy it was! They must be losing customers.

Last edited by Biggd; 05-11-2023 at 06:47 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-11-2023), garysanfran (05-11-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2023, 07:18 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Just an FYI, been with Verizon for many years and every year they hit me for and extra $10. My bill was up to $178 for 2 phones with unlimited service, my wife's is 4G and mine is 5G.
Every few years I call and complain and they knock $10 a month off my bill. This year I call and tell them if they don't give me a substantial discount I'm switching to a new provider. The guy tells me he's going to knock $40 off my bill because I've been a loyal customer for 17 years.
Then I ask if there is any senior citizens discount and he says he's going to give me another $30 a month over 55 discount.
So one call netted me a $70 a month discount, my bill went from $178 per month to $108 per month. I asked if this was a one year deal and he says, no it's forever.
I got to tell you I was shocked how easy it was! They must be losing customers.
I got those. I have been a Verizon customer for 20 years. The 55+ discount was $55 a phone but the 5G starter package is only $45 per phone. Go figure. I took advantage of the $35 per phone deal when it was available when the competition was $25 a phone among the major carriers. It pays to be vigilant and pay attention to the promotions.

The same goes with cable companies. They will offer the current promotion if requested.
Biggd (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 07:51 AM   #7
welch-time

If you're already an Xfinity customer, You can get Xfinity Wireless for $15 per month. You can also bring your old phone. Xfinity Wireless uses the Verizon cell network. We're very happy with the service.

Mark
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:50 PM   #8
JTA

We switched from Verizon to Consumer Cellular a couple of years ago as we were having problems with spotty connections. CC has been good. We’re on the east side of Cow.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:53 AM   #9
Patofnaud

The way I explain it to others when they ask,, think of the coverage map like a big McDonalds shake,, Verizon hands you a shake straw and 2nd tier folks like Cricket, Consumer Cellular (and anyone else who is not Verizon/AT&T/T-Moble) are handing you a normal straw.

Can you drink a shake with a normal straw? Yes, but I hope you're not sucking hard.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:59 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
The way I explain it to others when they ask,, think of the coverage map like a big McDonalds shake,, Verizon hands you a shake straw and 2nd tier folks like Cricket, Consumer Cellular (and anyone else who is not Verizon/AT&T/T-Moble) are handing you a normal straw.

Can you drink a shake with a normal straw? Yes, but I hope you're not sucking hard.
Speaking of sucking hard, our Verizon signal continues to deteriorate on Moultonborough Neck.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:22 AM   #11
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni1952 View Post
As stated above. None of these indendent cell companis own towers.

So make a call to Consumer Cellular and ask what carrier is used for your specific address.

My budget carrier uses the Verison network.
Have had no problems using phone nathonwide.
But locally there have been dead spot is some small areas of Sandwich, Holderness, Dorchester (NH) . . . and a few other small strips of roadway.

At my home - AT& T network carriers do not work.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:14 AM   #12
codeman671

We used to have Verizon and dumped it based on ridiculous pricing and poor coverage. We went to T-mobile and have good service at a much better price (almost half of what we were paying).

All carriers will have their dead spots. I personally would avoid the lower tier providers.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 05:29 AM   #13
Lakegeezer

Default Spectrum Mobile

Spectrum customers can stick with the Verizon network and get a promotional rate that offers 2 unlimited lines for $30/month, plus money off a new phone. I went with that back in November and it has been great. Don't notice a "size of straw" problem but the signal cuts out in the same places Verizon did.