Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
Glendale Girl

Default NWZ Proposed for Glendale

Tried to upload letter received regarding this but I couldn't upload the letter. This is what the NWZ would entail.
The no wake would run from Lighted Buoy # 53 between Pig Island and Lockes Island and the lighted buoy # 26 off Belknap Point and to include all of Glendale Bay.

The State of NH will be setting up a hearing as soon as possible once all requirements for the petition are met. The petition is being submitted by Joni Hinterhaeuser of Lockes Island

If someone would like to see documentation I received please pm me and I will forward to you. Maybe you could post it

Last edited by Glendale Girl; 08-21-2020 at 08:43 AM. Reason: subject matter
Glendale Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
codeman671

If Marine Patrol would actually patrol in front of their own building the need may not be so great for this. There is constant infractions right out front. Boats passing through inside of Lockes are constantly too close. I have been swamped multiple times in there by big cruisers.

I don't like adding more time to my ride, but the need may be there.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
chachee52

Sounds like they want it back like it was about 30+ years ago.
I remember I was a teen and got pulled over by the MP with my dad right after they took the NWZ out, we were looking for it, so I was going slow but still had the bow up making wake. He pulled us over and my dad told him that he was teaching me to look for the buoys and couldn't see them. The MP looked around and then remembered that they had JUST taking them out. He apologized, but a good learning experience as a teen of how to deal with MP.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Barney Bear

Default Deja Vue

I also remember the NWZ sign buoy at lighted buoy #53. I do not recall another NWZ buoy east of this buoy. A NWZ way out to lighted buoy #26 is excessive. Perhaps the zone limit could be Belknap Point. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
rhubarbpie

I am 100% supportive of this. The cross-traffic coming through there at speed in all directions, particularly on weekends, is more than a little nerve-wracking. Add in the jet skis running back and forth changing directions unexpectedly, plus people diving and sailboats coming back in to Smith Cove, and I'm surprised there aren't more accidents.
rhubarbpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

The question you have to ask is if this area is so dangerous, why did they get rid of the NWZ that was once there??

I honestly believe because of this, it will be an uphill battle...

Dan
Old 08-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

We make the trip from Glendale to Welch and back many times a week from before ice out to late Oct. Maybe 10 to 15 days a year the crossing traffic near FL 26 is very busy. However we all manage to work it all out, like a traffic rotary. It is once that you get past FL 26 in open water that idiot boating kicks in.

Choking all of Glendale bay would be a mistake. Between Pig and Lockes may be another issue.

Alan

Last edited by Slickcraft; 08-21-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
8gv

I have often wondered why the narrow area between Lockes and Pig Island is not a NWZ. The 150’ rule is rarely followed there. If one wishes to turn the boat to get a more favorable angle to take a wake there is little room. A NWZ might be obeyed more than the 150’ rule.

Last edited by 8gv; 08-22-2020 at 06:41 AM.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-22-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #9
Winilyme

I'd be sad to see this become a NWZ. To me, this area always feels different...as though there's a freedom and excitement on the water that's hard to find elsewhere on the lake.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:30 AM   #10
gillygirl

It’s got strong support from the shore owners between Smith Cove and Marine Patrol. They are the type who will show up to the hearing.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

Make a swap? Get rid of the NWZ between Governors and Eagle Island and add this one.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #12
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I have often wondered why the narrow area between Lockes and Pig Island is not a NWZ. The 150’ rule is rarely followed there. If one wishes to turn the boat to get a more favorable angle to take a wake there is little room. A NWZ might be obeyed more than the 150’ rule.
Totally agree. I recently followed the 150’ rule going through there and it clearly seemed that my following of the rules was a significant annoyance to a couple of other boaters who could care less and gunned their throttles to pass me. There was even an MP boat in proximity! Maybe it was his end of shift and he couldn’t be bothered with enforcement. As someone else pointed out, why isn’t the MP enforcing the water safety rules in front of their own building? NWZs are much more obvious regarding compliance as everyone seems to have their own perception of 150’.
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #13
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
It’s got strong support from the shore owners between Smith Cove and Marine Patrol. They are the type who will show up to the hearing.

They are already in a NWZ.

Alan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-25-2020), upthesaukee (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #14
gillygirl

But they have to deal with the chaos when leaving their docks. Also, there are a bunch of long timers in Smith Cove who ignore it. Push it further out, and hopefully it takes care of the majority of them.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #15
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Make a swap? Get rid of the NWZ between Governors and Eagle Island and add this one.
Seconded.

Crazy to have a NWZ in what basically boils down to being mid-bay. Even with 0 boats passing through there the waves from Merideth Bay just rip through the NWZ.

And every boat passing through that short NWZ goes from 45 to 0 at the marker and makes Merideth waves amplify even worse than had they just blown through on plane.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:27 PM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Misguided NWZ

The current process of adding (we never delete) NWZ by petition is flawed when the petitioners mostly get to pick the boundaries. In towns when there is speeding in a neighborhood, the PD sets up directed patrols and after a few days the traffic generally slows down. I don't know enough about MP to direct operations, but it seems like a patrol boat sitting still for 30-60 minutes between Pig and FL 26 every so often would encourage through traffic to go outside around Lockes, easing the issues in Glendale Bay.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #17
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
Seconded.

Crazy to have a NWZ in what basically boils down to being mid-bay. Even with 0 boats passing through there the waves from Merideth Bay just rip through the NWZ.

And every boat passing through that short NWZ goes from 45 to 0 at the marker and makes Merideth waves amplify even worse than had they just blown through on plane.
Maybe at 5 AM You can do 45 there...all other times you are subject to the “Weirs washtub”
That NWZ is tiny and not a problem. I can’t imagine boats blowing through there on plane or otherwise. Out of any on the lake, that one is needed IMO.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #18
Patofnaud

True, but my point was the NWZ south of eagle does nothing.

The washtub is bad/worse than the traffic. I am a north side full plane person even though its longer, that area to the south is infested with folks that make me hide on the northeast ends of the lake. Or I stay in Paugus all day.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:00 AM   #19
Slickcraft

The Glendale Bay NWZ hearing was held on Tuesday. Comments will be received for 7 days so it is not too late to send your comments. Email link is provided in the hearing notice:

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...922-notice.pdf
Glendale Girl (09-25-2020), ishoot308 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #20
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
The Glendale Bay NWZ hearing was held on Tuesday. Comments will be received for 7 days so it is not too late to send your comments. Email link is provided in the hearing notice:

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...922-notice.pdf
Thanks for posting this Slick!

We already have the safe passage law and the 150' law that is being broken or not being enforced. So the idea here is to pass another law???...Why, so that will be broken or not enforced? Gillygirl has already confirmed that some of those in Smith cove ignore the current no wake zone there! Seems to me simple enforcement of the current law is the answer...

I go through this area at least four times daily and it is basically dead during the week! There has never been an accident in this area and I have never had a close call in the 12 years I have been navigating through here.

Just my thoughts...

Dan
Hillcountry (09-25-2020), Phantom (09-25-2020), Slickcraft (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #21
Descant

Default No NWZ

I'm opposed to the NWZ for similar reasons. However, I ll speculate that it is easier to enforce than the 150' rule (which may be why no other state has such a rule. If you are too fast going by MP, you may get stopped. If there are two boats passing too close/too fast, to each other, which one do you stop? And, was it really less than 150'? If you re in a NWZ, it is obvious where you are, and it's an easy stop/ticket.
I note that prevailing winds coming from the NW lead to some good sized waves squeezing between Pig and Lockes, and depending on your course may give some difficulty to a boat trying to go <6 kts.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #22
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm opposed to the NWZ for similar reasons. However, I ll speculate that it is easier to enforce than the 150' rule (which may be why no other state has such a rule. If you are too fast going by MP, you may get stopped. If there are two boats passing too close/too fast, to each other, which one do you stop? And, was it really less than 150'? If you re in a NWZ, it is obvious where you are, and it's an easy stop/ticket.

I note that prevailing winds coming from the NW lead to some good sized waves squeezing between Pig and Lockes, and depending on your course may give some difficulty to a boat trying to go <6 kts.
This rule is violated constantly between Pig and Locke. Probably why the proposal was put forth.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #23
Slickcraft

Went in to the Glendale docks this beautiful Saturday morning at 8:30 am. Thee was not one other boat under way in Glendale Bay.

If someone feels the need for a NWZ from the Glendale docks out past Belknap Point they can simply follow the shoreline at headway speed all the way out or back. That option has always been available to anyone. No need to inconvenience everyone else.
Descant (09-26-2020), steve c (10-01-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 05:57 AM   #24
GodSmile

Default Enforcemnent

Enforce the rules currently in place. If the MP needs more funding to do this, then increase funding.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:49 AM   #25
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

I just don't understand why it is so hard for people to actually drive their boat without making a wake! Why, when you are trying to relax in your boat is it so hard to do a combination of fast and slow? Why are they in such a hurry? I don't think most people need to get to work -----Whether there is a no wake zone or not, if you are close to shore, you shouldn't make a wake. If MP enforced it, they could make enough money to support themselves.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #26
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I just don't understand why it is so hard for people to actually drive their boat without making a wake! Why, when you are trying to relax in your boat is it so hard to do a combination of fast and slow? Why are they in such a hurry? I don't think most people need to get to work -----Whether there is a no wake zone or not, if you are close to shore, you shouldn't make a wake. If MP enforced it, they could make enough money to support themselves.
You echo my thoughts exactly...I feel there is a combination of extreme impatience along with blissful, ignorance instilled in many boat operators.
That, and lack of enforcement is the problem.
Many that I have passed in multiple NWZs that are making wakes appear to not be aware l of their wakes or just don’t care.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
8gv (09-27-2020), ApS (09-27-2020), DotRat (09-27-2020), FlyingScot (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
You echo my thoughts exactly...I feel there is a combination of extreme impatience along with blissful, ignorance instilled in many boat operators.
That, and lack of enforcement is the problem.
Many that I have passed in multiple NWZs that are making wakes appear to not be aware l of their wakes or just don’t care.
Exactly. Blissful ignorance and lack of enforcement! I truly think they don't know what a wake is or don't care. They think they are slowing down so that must be ok.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #28
lakewinnie

Default NWZs and carbon monoxide poisoning

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere.
The link below (I hope it works) is about a 9 year old boy who dies of carbon monoxide poisoning on a boat in OK.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...-trip/2338142/

" After a day at the rear of a boat, Free's youngest child, Andrew Brady, 9, fell unconscious into the lake and never woke up again. It was later revealed that the boy, who loved the outdoors and his friends and family, had died of carbon monoxide poisoning, something Free said she had no idea could happen on a boat.

"One of the things we hadn’t considered was the long no-wake zone," Free explained, referring to the area of the lake where boats must maintain slower speeds."

"Traveling at slower speeds, like the Free family did for some of the day, can also increase the buildup of carbon monoxide."

This article made me think of the NWZ in Meredith.
lakewinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #29
ApS

Thumbs down "Fell" is Really, "Unconscious-Lost-Grip"...

You're describing "Teak Surfing". A bad idea and shouldn't be legal.

Described in 2009;
https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...-teak-surf4384

Two showing a similar example in Winter Harbor—a week ago:
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:18 AM   #30
ApS

Arrow Ferry Fails to Yield to 50-MPH Sailboat...

Quote:
A 50-meter rule is found elsewhere, and be more prevalent than one may think:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12366758
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:42 AM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Who to stop.

Quote:
Who to stop re: 150 ft rule? An interesting question.

A friend was traveling on the Rochester-Alton speedway, aka Rte 11, at the back of a line of cars, all doing around 63-65. A trooper going the other way made a u-turn, put on the blue lights and pulled him over. Trooper said he clocked him at 64. My friend respectfully said "but I was in a line of around 10 cars all doing the same speed ". The trooper told him "you were the first one I caught up with."

After running his license, he gave him a verbal warning.

Dave
Old 11-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #32
Descant

Default Denied

Denied. https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...1116-order.pdf

Last edited by Descant; 11-16-2020 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added link
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (11-16-2020), Rich (11-17-2020), Slickcraft (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #33
ishoot308

Quote:
Denied. Will have to post the link later
That’s good news!

Thanks!

Dan
Old 11-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #34
Slickcraft

Quote:
Great news!

Good to see that they took the time to sort out the facts.

Alan