Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
Garcia

Default Dock treatment

What, if anything, do people use to protect their docks? Mine has cedar decking that is looking worn. I would like to put something on to help make it last longer. Any suggestions for something that will require as little prep as possible, be able to be put on when the dock is in the water, and will help protect the boards?

I just refinished a deck which involved cleaning, pressure washing, and stain. I’m hoping there’s something that can be done in one step.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

What you can use and prep required depends on what was used before

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
What you can use and prep required depends on what was used before

Should have mentioned that nothing has been put on in the past.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Barney Bear

Default Preservation

We have used Thompson's Water Seal on our dock, and are satisfied with the outcome. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

As I recall it's Thompson's that once you use it pretty much needs to be done every year.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Marine Seal or Seal Once. Same product different name. Google for specifics.

Dan
Old 05-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
FlyingScot

I use nothing on my cedar decking, and they've lasted for years (20 years for the previous owner). It's only the pilings that take real abuse (I have ipe pilings, which are supposed to last longer than I am, also with no maintenance.) Keep in mind that if you're applying it, it's going to get into the lake, so less is better.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
WinnisquamZ

If nothing has been used in the past then just a light sanding and I prefer a oil transparent stain. Many clears and naturals available. I am a Ben Moore fan. Remove the boards, over water is a no no

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
uschisk

Default Same question - is there a benefit to stain or sealer?

Our cedar dock needs work, I'm in the process of removing each board, sanding it, and replacing it upside down if the board is still sound, or putting in a new board if I need to. Since I am pulling the whole thing apart I'm wondering if there is a benefit to putting some kind of sealer on the boards. So far (10 years) it has been untreated cedar. I certainly wouldn't want anything that is going to be slippery in any way , but since I am pulling it apart wondering if a sealer or stain is recommended? I also have no interest in repeating this process regularly! Thank you!
uschisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
codeman671

We used Superdek stain on our cedar decking. Pressure wash and roll it on. It looked great.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Non-skid

We added glass beads to the paint on our deck and ramps. If you're spraying just put the sand on before the paint dries. Works better with paint or stain--sealer may not be viscous enough to hold the non-skid material. I would think sanding makes boards more slippery and could be counterproductive.
Maybe replacing boards is a better long term solution.? What's your time horizon? In 1960, we built docks using pre-stressed concrete. No maintenance for 60 years. This year, we're planning to replace with artificial planks (Trex or similar). Presumably no maintenance until my great great grandchildren are in charge. Other materials? The Atlantic City board walk is redwood 2x4's laid on edge. Crowds,cars, parades, bicycles, roller skates, etc. When you walk a little farther to Marvin Gardens, that city uses aluminum with a non-skid epoxy surface.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
What, if anything, do people use to protect their docks? Mine has cedar decking that is looking worn. I would like to put something on to help make it last longer. Any suggestions for something that will require as little prep as possible, be able to be put on when the dock is in the water, and will help protect the boards?

I just refinished a deck which involved cleaning, pressure washing, and stain. I’m hoping there’s something that can be done in one step.
You not going to find something with less steps.... If the ceder decking is just looking worn, but overall is in good safe shape, I would take a pressure washer to it, and call it a day. Once you start staining or painting a dock, it is going to become a continual process, that will not end....

Personally, I use preasure treated decking on my dock, and well the oldest sections are now 30 years old or so... Yep a board hear and there gets replaced... and every so often I take a scrub brush to them boat overall things look fine....