Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2021, 07:55 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Pellet Stove Recommendations

Reaching out to the Forum for pellet stove recommendations.
Going to bite the bullet at end of season and purchase a new stove.

Currently, I have a Quadra-Fire Mount Vernon about 12 years old, and its been nothing but trouble. My Mt Vernon is NOT the 'AE" (Anniversary Edition), which had numerous issues, but is the OE version.

Have replaced 2 Mother-Circuit boards, all the Snap discs, the Ignitor. Purchased the stove used 'NEVER AGAIN' !

Looking for a stove with at least a 40lb Hopper capacity, a long warranty,
BTU output of at least 40,000, easy cleaning, but most of all 'dependable' !!!

Most stove manufacturers, only seem to have a one-yer warranty, which leads me to believe that the company does not have much faith in their product.

I'm not a fan of stoves with a lot of electronics and moving parts that can go bad.

Your feedback, is greatly appreciated !

Last edited by bigdog; 02-12-2021 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
Lakeboater

Default Harmon

Harmon seems to be one of the better brands
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We have a Harman P43 that we bought 8 years ago from Fireside Living in Laconia. I have run about 25 tons of pellets through it with no failures so far. The I clean the stove when the ash pan is full after 16 to 22 bags of pellets, depending on brand.

My only minor complaint is that the auto ignition could work better. Sometimes the ignition is slow so that pellets are just starting to push over the edge of the burn pot when ignition takes place. The stove has two modes: auto ignition and manual ignition. In the auto mode the stove will shut down if no call for heat and then restart when there is a call for heat. The manual ignition takes about 45 seconds with a propane torch which I often use. In the “manual mode” the stove will still follow a temp setting automatically increasing or decreasing heat output. In that mode it will not shut off if no call for heat. Instead, it will go into a minimum burn rate mode until there is a call for heat.

Our previous pellet stove was a top feed Enviro that had to be shut down once a day to clean the burn pot and empty the ash pan. Over about 8 years all three motors failed (feed auger, combustion bower and circulation blower). the igniter was replaced twice, and the circuit board replaced once.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Home and Hearth Technologies pretty much owns every major brand of wood, gas and pellet stove.

https://www.hearthnhome.com/brands

Pellet stoves have a lot of moving parts and there is no way of getting around that, and the controls for it are all electronic and there is no getting around that either. If you want simple burn wood.

That said, Harmon does make the best pellet stoves but they too are not immune to problems. Just have far less than the rest. They are also not cheap either. There are some design features in the Harmon that I believe make it a superior product over the rest.

My sister has one of the original Harmon XXV pellet stoves, uses it as a primary heat source and has had in all the years of ownership replaced the auger motor, the control board, and a couple of ignitors. I liked her stove so much that I bought the wood burning version and love it. Harmon however doesn't make wood stoves anymore.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
bigdog

Thanks SlickCraft and and Maxum for your comments, much appreciated !

Yes, I have used Fireside in the past, and they are great folks, honest and dependable. Will go there at end of season, to check their inventory.

Stay warm !
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2021, 01:40 PM   #6
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Home and Hearth Technologies pretty much owns every major brand of wood, gas and pellet stove.

https://www.hearthnhome.com/brands

Pellet stoves have a lot of moving parts and there is no way of getting around that, and the controls for it are all electronic and there is no getting around that either. If you want simple burn wood.

That said, Harmon does make the best pellet stoves but they too are not immune to problems. Just have far less than the rest. They are also not cheap either. There are some design features in the Harmon that I believe make it a superior product over the rest.

My sister has one of the original Harmon XXV pellet stoves, uses it as a primary heat source and has had in all the years of ownership replaced the auger motor, the control board, and a couple of ignitors. I liked her stove so much that I bought the wood burning version and love it. Harmon however doesn't make wood stoves anymore.
Price wise, how much do some of the Harmon Pellet Stoves run ? Any idea?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:41 PM   #7
SAB1

I have a Harman P38 I’ve used for 20 years now. Its a champ. I run 3-4 tons a year thru it. I’ve replaced a few parts here and there but no big deal and very easy to fix yourself. 4 years ago I put a Harman 35i in my NH home. It’s been nothing but disappointment. Replaced blowers now I have circuit board on order. My son has the same exact stove and he’s had the same issues.. it’s just not a good stove. If I was looking right now I would be looking other brands. Harman are very easy to fix yourself. Not sure about other brands. If they look easily fixable when needed I may be tempted to try the competitor
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #8
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I have a Harman P38 I’ve used for 20 years now. Its a champ. I run 3-4 tons a year thru it. I’ve replaced a few parts here and there but no big deal and very easy to fix yourself. 4 years ago I put a Harman 35i in my NH home. It’s been nothing but disappointment. Replaced blowers now I have circuit board on order. My son has the same exact stove and he’s had the same issues.. it’s just not a good stove. If I was looking right now I would be looking other brands. Harman are very easy to fix yourself. Not sure about other brands. If they look easily fixable when needed I may be tempted to try the competitor
Hi SAB1,

Harmon is at top of my list of new stove. I see you own a P38, I will check it out. What dealer did you purchase the stove

I was looking at the P43, a little bigger BTU output, and probably more money, but I think still uses the same technology as the P38.

Any Forum member out there own a Harmon P38 or P43 ?
Would love to hear your feedback/reviews.

Last, looking at 2 stove dealers, Stove Barn in Concord, and Abundant Life in Chichester, anyone have experiences with these folks ?

Thanks !

Last edited by bigdog; 02-13-2021 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not with a pellet stove but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Hi SAB1,

Harmon is at top of my list of new stove. I see you own a P38, I will check it out. What dealer did you purchase the stove

I was looking at the P43, a little bigger BTU output, and probably more money, but I think still uses the same technology as the P38.

Any Forum member out there own a Harmon P38 or P43 ?
Would love to hear your feedback/reviews.

Last, looking at 2 stove dealers, Stove Barn in Concord, and Abundant Life in Chichester, anyone have experiences with these folks ?

Thanks !
Not with a pellet stove, but I purchased my Hearthstone wood stove from Abundant Life. Sale was smooth, installation was timely. My chimney was an 8 inch triple wall, which they knew. The stove is a 6 in pipe, and they came with the reducer 8 in to 6 in.

They removed the Fisher Mama Bear cast iron stove and carried it out to the garage for me, as I had a buyer coming in a few days.

Their installation was very professional. They went over the operation of the stove, including how to replace the door gasket when needed.

I recommend them highly. Just an FYI, I believe they are closed on Sundays.

Dave
Old 02-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #10
ApS

Default Abundant Life...Worth the Drive...

Same good experience with Abundant Life--back when they first opened. That new woodstove is a Trinity III, cast (and enameled white) in Ireland.

I sent them home after delivery, as I wanted to DIY. Installed same 6-inch pipe to 8-inch Metalbestos pipe adapter.
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 09:43 PM   #11
SAB1

p43 is bigger and basically newer similar version of p38. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy that stove. I have dealt with Abundant in Chichester and found them to be top notch on sales and service.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
bigdog (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #12
Patofnaud

I had a Harmon 38 and that thing was a heating tank and gave 0 issues.

I 'upgraded' to the Harmon Advance for the aesthetics in the living room and while I have had it about 10 years, I don't use the auto-ignite either as I find it hit or miss, and when it misses it dumps piles of good pellets in the ash bin.

I've also put a motor or two in it and a control board over the years.

I do live the stove but I find you do have to maintain it. Worth not dealing with cordwood and bugs though.

Last edited by Patofnaud; 02-14-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #13
bobkatfly

Quote:
Reaching out to the Forum for pellet stove recommendations.
Going to bite the bullet at end of season and purchase a new stove.

Currently, I have a Quadra-Fire Mount Vernon about 12 years old, and its been nothing but trouble. My Mt Vernon is NOT the 'AE" (Anniversary Edition), which had numerous issues, but is the OE version.

Have replaced 2 Mother-Circuit boards, all the Snap discs, the Ignitor. Purchased the stove used 'NEVER AGAIN' !

Looking for a stove with at least a 40lb Hopper capacity, a long warranty,
BTU output of at least 40,000, easy cleaning, but most of all 'dependable' !!!

Most stove manufacturers, only seem to have a one-yer warranty, which leads me to believe that the company does not have much faith in their product.
I've been using a Harman XXV (48k BTU and 65 lb hopper) for 12 years and I bought it used. Its a 2007 model. Haven't had any issues with it and I've burned many different pellets in it. It ate everything I put in. Still has the original ignitor, sensors and controls. Prior to it I had a Harman Accentra (used) for 2 years. No issues with it either. It stayed with the last house when I sold it.
I love my XXV but I'm not sure I would purchase a new one as they now use digital controls vs the potentiometers on mine. That means firmware is involved. They already have updates on their website for download using a USB flash drive.
I'm surprised to hear about your issues with the Quadra-Fire. Always thought they were a reliable stove.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #14
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
New Harmans are in the $4k range.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobkatfly For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #15
Blue Thunder

I own 2 HarmAn stoves. (It’s spelled HARMAN...pet peeve)
I have an Invincible RS which is no longer made that I bought in 1996. It was the primary heat source in my home for 13 years I burning 4 tons a year. Absolute workhorse. I replaced it with the P61A in 2010 and it is currently in use today. Harman is the best stove on the market and is truly a “you get what you pay for” stove. As stated above a couple of the insert models have had their issues. Both of mine are free standing stoves. The Invincible is now in my place up north living out it’s days in semi retirement.

I’ve done all of the work on these stoves which isn’t much. I’ve replaced one igniter on my P61A. Harman’s are easy to use and easy to clean.

Biggd don’t buy too small of a stove. Depending on the space you want to heat a P38 might be too small. There’s not a real difference between the 38 and 43...only 5 btus. Better to have too much stove than not enough is the advice I would give. Good luck in your search.
BT
Old 02-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #16
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Not with a pellet stove, but I purchased my Hearthstone wood stove from Abundant Life. Sale was smooth, installation was timely. My chimney was an 8 inch triple wall, which they knew. The stove is a 6 in pipe, and they came with the reducer 8 in to 6 in.

They removed the Fisher Mama Bear cast iron stove and carried it out to the garage for me, as I had a buyer coming in a few days.

Their installation was very professional. They went over the operation of the stove, including how to replace the door gasket when needed.

I recommend them highly. Just an FYI, I believe they are closed on Sundays.

Dave
Congratulations on the change.
I sold our Mama Bear (in very good condition) two years ago- $350. Still feel like I should have held out for more.
May I ask what you got for yours?
Attached Images

JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Really can't remember

I really can't remember. We've had our Hearthstone for at least 10 years. I'd have to dig through the archives to find out exactly how old.

That being said, I think it was in the $300 range. Also included the stovepipe and damper, about 10'. I loved how quickly it warmed up the room , but the down side was the room cooled down rather quickly. The Hearthstone warms up more slowly, but holds heat better, and does have the glass front. The Fisher did have a fireplace screen that fit in the door opening, but was not efficient for heating. The heat went right up the chimney. Ok for a spring or fall ambience fire.

Looking at your picture, we must have had the Papa Bear, two doors and more square in shape. Dad put it in around 1983, I think.

Dave
JEEPONLY (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #18
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Mine was CLEAN!
I'd sanded, painted and took out interior bricks and cleaned them.
Just couldn't find a buyer for a better price.

This ebay ad may have unduly influenced me!!
Attached Images

JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Those old smoke dragons lost value quickly once the new, much more efficient, EPA stoves came out.

We've got a steel stove in the basement that heats up quickly, becoming a molten rock and throwing off tons of heat, before cooling down almost as quickly.

Upstairs, a Hearthstone that warms up more slowly but radiates heat much more evenly and consistently while cooling down much more slowly. Just a much better heat pattern.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #20
bigdog

Default Lopi Pellet stove ?

Just curious.....

Do any Forum members own a Lopi Pellet stove?
If so, would love to hear your feedback, dependability, efficiency, etc.

Thanks !
Old 02-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #21
DickR

Quote:
Just curious.....

Do any Forum members own a Lopi Pellet stove?
If so, would love to hear your feedback, dependability, efficiency, etc.

Thanks !
You might find more info on the woodburning forum: http://www.hearth.com/talk/
under the subforum "The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves "
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #22
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
They are NOT cheap. If you go on Harmon's web site they have the MSRP of their stoves clearly posted. Most places that sell them - the price is the price. For example I was looking at a Absolute 43 cast iron pellet stove with a porcelain enamel finish (that costs extra) out the door the price just over $4800. OUCH! Base stove is about $4200. The P series stoves are cheaper but I like having a cast iron stove and a more traditional look.

Then again when I bought my Harmon wood stove it was pretty expensive too but I do love it. Pellets may be easy but I can't stand listening to a fan running constantly and I'll never get the same kind of heat out of pellets nor the same ambiance as nothing is like a real wood fire. So I don't know - I may not be so quick to stop burning wood.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:42 PM   #23
betterthanbacon

Default Harman

Swapped out our Thermo Pride wood furnace maybe 7-8 years ago with a Harman PF120 FHA pellet furnace. I feel like it’s one of the best heating moves I have made. Really no issue with the Harman other than replacing a couple of combustion blower fan motors at $100 each. Replaced myself in minutes. Pellet units have many moving Parts and electronics. To this day the Harmon PF 120 has treated us real well. Even though both units -wood and pellet- operate from a wall mounted thermo. The pellet is much more consistent in heat and much easier to maintain. Being the PF120 holds 4 bags of pellets we can leave for several days without the backup source needed. Harman all the way.
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #24
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
They are NOT cheap. If you go on Harmon's web site they have the MSRP of their stoves clearly posted. Most places that sell them - the price is the price. For example I was looking at a Absolute 43 cast iron pellet stove with a porcelain enamel finish (that costs extra) out the door the price just over $4800. OUCH! Base stove is about $4200. The P series stoves are cheaper but I like having a cast iron stove and a more traditional look.

Then again when I bought my Harmon wood stove it was pretty expensive too but I do love it. Pellets may be easy but I can't stand listening to a fan running constantly and I'll never get the same kind of heat out of pellets nor the same ambiance as nothing is like a real wood fire. So I don't know - I may not be so quick to stop burning wood.

Definitely nice ambience and heat from the wood stove for sure. The pellet stove though is much cleaner, less work than wood and can easily burn a couple days un attended with a hopper extension. Cheaper than propane...
Old 02-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #25
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Definitely nice ambience and heat from the wood stove for sure. The pellet stove though is much cleaner, less work than wood and can easily burn a couple days un attended with a hopper extension. Cheaper than propane...
I've yet to hear a pellet stove quiet enough to make me want it in my living space. Add the routine maintenance and repairs, and I'd never own one.

My wood stoves will last most of my life with close to zero maintenance. Cleanup is every few weeks for ten minutes, and it's silent, usable in power outages, pretty, and smells nice.

The differences come in work to prepare, and cost of, fuel. The day I have to buy wood consistently (I've had to buy one $50 truckload in the last 15 years) is the day I trade my wood stove in for a gas/propane fireplace.

That being said, in response to the OP, I've heard great things about Harmon, and my brother had great luck with his Quadra-Fire. The latter makes some real nice looking higher-end models, too (as opposed to the black boxes).

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:08 AM   #26
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I've yet to hear a pellet stove quiet enough to make me want it in my living space. Add the routine maintenance and repairs, and I'd never own one.

My wood stoves will last most of my life with close to zero maintenance. Cleanup is every few weeks for ten minutes, and it's silent, usable in power outages, pretty, and smells nice.

The differences come in work to prepare, and cost of, fuel. The day I have to buy wood consistently (I've had to buy one $50 truckload in the last 15 years) is the day I trade my wood stove in for a gas/propane fireplace.

That being said, in response to the OP, I've heard great things about Harmon, and my brother had great luck with his Quadra-Fire. The latter makes some real nice looking higher-end models, too (as opposed to the black boxes).

I felt the same way until I ended up with a Quadra-fire pellet stove - I love it. When I built my house I wanted a wood stove in the family room, but the high ceiling prevented it; I didn't like the way the pipe would have run. The pellet stove is vented horizontally and then vertically which allows it to be hidden. The noise is minimal and simply gets lost in the normal sounds of my house. I love being able to turn it on anytime, get the warmth and ambience of a fire, and have it turn itself off. I also have a Woodstock soapstone wood stove at the other end of my house, which I also love. The two complement each other - best of both worlds.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #27
MAXUM

Quote:
Can't argue that - there are trade offs. Pretty much anything is cheaper than propane!
Old 02-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #28
ApS

Arrow NH's Wood Stove "Buy-Back" Program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Congratulations on the change. I sold our Mama Bear (in very good condition) two years ago- $350. Still feel like I should have held out for more.
You did well 'cause...

The State is coming for our stoves.

https://legiscan.com/NH/text/HB290/id/1833824

https://www.concordmonitor.com/wood-...on-nh-23461771

ITL'd but—slowly they'll come back!
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-23-2021)