Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
slayermcb

Default Fishing Alton Bay

I've noticed a few people down in Alton Bay fishing already. Anyone know what's biting, when, and how do I fish it! I'm still new to freshwater shore fishing (moved from the CT coast two years ago), looking for some tips to get me started. I usually fish the Glendale docks but it's not exactly populated yet.
slayermcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayermcb View Post
I've noticed a few people down in Alton Bay fishing already. Anyone know what's biting, when, and how do I fish it! I'm still new to freshwater shore fishing (moved from the CT coast two years ago), looking for some tips to get me started. I usually fish the Glendale docks but it's not exactly populated yet.
Check out myfishfinder.com and select the NH forum. Ask away and you may get some useful info. Remember, fishermen are not always eager to give away many secrets or hotspots that work for them. Make your questions “general” and you will get usable info. Then go out and give it a try! Good luck!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
slayermcb

Not trying to steal any secrets, just trying to figure out the basics, like what's biting and what side of the bay to fish on!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #4
MikeF-NH

I don't fish from shore but I know a lot of people fish from docks around alton bay. I'm not sure which ones are open to public though. If I were to guess, I would guess that many are using shiners or worms...possibly under bobbers. Fish are close to the surface. I would go prepared with med-light action spinning gear with light floro and good drag. Good luck...report back how far the ice is out in the bay also please.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
FamFire

We fished all last weekend - really cold - water temp was 39-40. We caught one salmon all weekend.

Dock fishing is GREAT on the bay - usually. For salmon and rainbows, early season when the water temp gets up to at least 45, shiners and night crawlers work well. Bobber on top, with a sliding egg sinker behind that can keep the bobber in place during the windy spells.

When the temps get warmer, white perch can be had with the same method, with or without a bobber. We generally go without the bobber and inject air into the worm to get it to float up from the bottom a bit. Rainbows and salmon are caught throughout this time as well.

Good luck!
FamFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
slayermcb

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll have to get down there once the weather decides what it's doing! MikeF I'll let you know about that ice next time I pass by. Someone was out on a boat last time I was passing through, but he did look like he was fishing in an oversized puddle so it wasn't what I would call open water.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
topwaternut

shiners seem to be working well right now. i don't think a bobber is a good idea yet because of the close proximity you will be with other anglers and the flow of water.
topwaternut is offline   Reply With Quote