Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Zee

Default Grace Metalious Lake connection

I understand that Grace Metalious, author of Peyton Place, purchased a hotel on the Lake and named it Peyton Place. The business venture failed. Does anyone know where it was or if it is still there, obviously under a different name? The time frame may have been in the late 50's and early 60's. I know she lived in Gilmanton and spent a lot of time in Laconia.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
GWC...

Down the road a little ways from Waldo Peppers, near the info booth, across the street and up the hill, so to speak or type.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
carguy

Default Grace Metallious

In the early 1960's (1961,1962) Grace bought the "Little Cape Codders" cabin colony on the Weirs Boulevard. It was located across the street from the Information Booth. The business was renamed to PEYTON PLACE.

Grace's hangout in Laconia was the cocktail lounge at the Laconia Tavern Hotel. My folks use to like to drop in there for a drink after shopping, and I remember my mother telling me that Grace frequented the place quite often.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Grace Metalious
September 8, 1924 – February 25, 1964)

Grace's hangout back in the day and what ever happened to this place?

right across from the library in laconia
Attached Images

Last edited by jbolty; 01-31-2020 at 08:35 AM.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 05:06 AM   #5
ApS

Question 1924-1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
In the early 1960's (1961,1962) Grace bought the "Little Cape Codders" cabin colony on the Weirs Boulevard. It was located across the street from the Information Booth. The business was renamed to PEYTON PLACE. Grace's hangout in Laconia was the cocktail lounge at the Laconia Tavern Hotel. My folks use to like to drop in there for a drink after shopping, and I remember my mother telling me that Grace frequented the place quite often.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Metalious
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default The tavern

Is still at the corner of Main and Church Street. It was a grand hotel with a bar and restaurant. President Eisenhower stayed here a number of times.
Back in the 50's the restaurant was a popular spot among the locals. Faintly recall eating there. Fascinated with the woodwork in the restaurant and lobby area. The rest rooms were elaborate with marble counter tops and turned wood mirrors.
Today the tavern is housing for HUD. When it was redeveloped the sheet rock all the beautiful wood trims and turned wood. I was told be on of the carpenters on the project, it would not take much to return it to her glory.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Peyton Place Motel.

What's left is the motel building. It is now a condo development. Some of the cottages were sold and moved, some demolished.
Can't recall the name. It is on the side opposite Paugus Bay, before you get to the NASWA if you are going to the Weirs.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

What a great old thread to bring back. It was a huge scandal then, those books were just awful so it was said. It's so funny because by today's standards they are nothing.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
In the early 1960's (1961,1962) Grace bought the "Little Cape Codders" cabin colony on the Weirs Boulevard. It was located across the street from the Information Booth. The business was renamed to PEYTON PLACE.
What a terrible idea she had to change the name of the motel to Peyton Place. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve use the expression” It’s a regular Peyton Place.”
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
winni83

Grace could not even be buried in peace.

See

https://law.justia.com/cases/new-ham...64/5234-0.html
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
Susie Cougar

TCM is broadcasting Peyton Place on Tuesday, February 11, at 8 PM. Watch it for yourselves and decide.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

What is "TCM"
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Turner Classic Movies
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Descant (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #14
jbolty

My recollection from a million years ago was not so much that the book was scandalous, more that a few local people in Gilmanton though the characters were thinly them.

We used to say that when you live in a small town you don't buy the local newspaper to find out what's going on. You get it to find out who got caught.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-01-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Yes, that was what I remember too. I think most authors vaguely write about people they have been in contact with.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #16
Scott

For anyone curious, the motel was not demolished and isn't condos. It still exists and is doing quite well. It was later renamed Top of the Bay, later renamed again to Bay Top Motel, which I own.

The motel was cut into 3 sections and dragged from where 4 seasons is now to its current location. After it was moved, a larger owners quarters was added off the back. It had a flat roof which leaked, so when my family bought the property in 1986, we quickly added a gable roof. Later, a deck was added to the second floor, then glassed in. Then came a pool, a house, and I got a little carried with landscaping the place to make it look like Key West.

It's always weird when I see that old postcard and realize that's actually my home. Quite a history this place has.
BroadHopper (02-05-2020), Descant (02-05-2020), Susie Cougar (02-05-2020), Top-Water (02-05-2020), Winni-Retired (02-06-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
Old Sarge

For those that may not know, "Peyton Place" was at first a best selling book in the 1950's. It was so controversial due it subject being a teen girl in a small town who was molested by her father and made pregnant. It also involved a small town doctor who recommended an abortion for the girl. Times being as they were there was a lot of gossip and small town politics along with class themes. The book was made into a major motion picture (Debuted at the Colonial Theater in Laconia) and later an afternoon soap opera that was filmed in Camden Maine.

It caused quite a stir in Gilmanton and the Iron Works and it lasted a long time. When I was around ten (1968) I asked if this was "Peyton Place" while I was in the Iron Works store and vividly recall the dirty looks I received. It really did become a byword for a small town or place or organization with secret scandals. David Halberstam wrote about Grace and her story in his book "The Fifties". She was considered groundbreaking in the cause for Women's Rights but I just think of her as a tragic figure.

The people in Gilmanton treated her badly (and she rubbed her success in their faces) and I believe her husband who was a local school principal ended up losing his job over the affair.

There have been several articles over the years in The Manchester Union Leader-her home town which I believe you can still access.
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #18
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
For those that may not know, "Peyton Place" was at first a best selling book in the 1950's. It was so controversial due it subject being a teen girl in a small town who was molested by her father and made pregnant. It also involved a small town doctor who recommended an abortion for the girl. Times being as they were there was a lot of gossip and small town politics along with class themes. The book was made into a major motion picture (Debuted at the Colonial Theater in Laconia) and later an afternoon soap opera that was filmed in Camden Maine.

It caused quite a stir in Gilmanton and the Iron Works and it lasted a long time. When I was around ten (1968) I asked if this was "Peyton Place" while I was in the Iron Works store and vividly recall the dirty looks I received. It really did become a byword for a small town or place or organization with secret scandals. David Halberstam wrote about Grace and her story in his book "The Fifties". She was considered groundbreaking in the cause for Women's Rights but I just think of her as a tragic figure.

The people in Gilmanton treated her badly (and she rubbed her success in their faces) and I believe her husband who was a local school principal ended up losing his job over the affair.

There have been several articles over the years in The Manchester Union Leader-her home town which I believe you can still access.
Old Sarge, you didn't happen to serve with Company B 368th Engineers in Gilford between 1987 and 1991? I know a Sergeant (E6) from Gilmanton Iron Works who was with Company B during my time there.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #19
Old Sarge

No, but I did accompany a reserve soldier there for his 1st drill-This would have been 1991-1993 when I was an active duty recruiter.
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Sarge For This Useful Post:
Major (02-18-2020)