Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Barndoor59

Default Ice Conditions

Hello all,

Just checking to see what the update on ice conditions is after fishing derby weekend. Did anyone venture out on the broads by snowmobile or ATV? How much ice would you say there is? Would like to be able to at least ride the ice to get onto the trails.
Barndoor59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Variable

Welcome to the Forum. The latest posts on this thread can be pretty informative. I don't see much enthusiasm for running machines on the ice this year, especially the broads. I'd tie a 250' line with a float to my machine so it can be retrieved without paying a diver.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=25224
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Wrap that snow machine with noodles.😂

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Wrap that snow machine with noodles.��

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Noodles work great for people, but work terrible for snow machines. Most people have just slightly negative buoyancy so one good quality, dense, single 2 1/2" x 42" foam noodle will keep your head and shoulders out of the water, while you very slowly tread water in a vertical position.

A snow machine probably weighs 400-500 lbs with zero buoyancy except for an empty gasoline tank and that could fill with water.

The suggestion for a 250' line with a marker buoy seems like a winner, just make it a strong line.

Number of ice fishing camps set up out on the ice between south Bear Island, Mark Isl, Timber Isl, Governor's Isl, and Meredith Neck for the 2020 ice fishing derby ......... zero, not even one tent camp.

In past years ........ maybe ten tent camps out on the ice in the same area.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
SAB1

Really not sure the trails are worth riding. Really not much snow around the lake. Head north is best bet.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Off topic but something to consider:

Price of a snowmobile, trailer, and pickup truck for towing it up north to Pittsburgh, NH, plus insurance and registration and gasoline is how much?

Price of a quality pair of winter walking boots...... fifity dollars or less at Marshall's in Plymouth .....

.....plus the fabulous health value of walking, outdoors, in the NH winter. ....

2-hours 33-minutes, 130-miles: driving Meredith NH to Pittsburgh NH. So, with 2-hours 33-minutes as the internet drive time, the real drive time must be more like 3-hours or longer what with the roads, the weather, and stopping to eat, somewhere.

Looking at a map of the United States, Pittsburgh NH is that small triangle area at the very northern top of New Hampshire that is north of the northern border of Vermont with Quebec. Seems like Pittsburgh is the real deal NH-place to go for a snowmobile. Believe that Maine no longer accepts NH registered machines and the reciprocity agreement between NH and ME has expired without getting renewed as Maine's way to revenge against the 'no NH sales tax', or something.

In Pittsburgh NH, do any of the snowmobile trails co-exist with a railroad track by actually riding the 44" wide snow machine within the 48.5" inside width of the two steel rails?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-11-2020 at 08:03 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Sunset point

Default Ice

Anyone been out on the broads this week. Been cold out but wondering if the ice has gotten much thicker in the past 2 weeks. Was thinking of coming up this weekend and walking out to rattlesnake but if the ice is still questionable I will pass this year.
Sunset point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
lakershaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset point View Post
Anyone been out on the broads this week. Been cold out but wondering if the ice has gotten much thicker in the past 2 weeks. Was thinking of coming up this weekend and walking out to rattlesnake but if the ice is still questionable I will pass this year.
Also interested. I am planning on walking out tomorrow morning from the landing, but not to the broads side.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
Mink Islander

Default Mink/Bear/Timber Island area

Haven’t ventured into the Broads but there’s a solid 8-10 inches of ice all around the islands in the central part of the lake. That’s a lot less ice than we typically have this time of year (more like 14-20 inches) so I’d still be very cautious. I’ve seen some sled activity today around the islands and over towards Meredith Neck - but again a lot lighter volume given what a gorgeous day it is and with good snow conditions on the lake.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post

Seriously, follow Descant's advice.
Been there plenty of times but have never seen a looney bin chip! Love those chips.
Be careful out on the ice everyone
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:15 AM   #11
fatlazyless

.... maybe off-topic, maybe not?

Craigslist has a February 21 ad for The Lodge bob house, that huge luxurious bob house that seems to show up in the state newspapers and wmur-tv every year, with 16 photos and a price of twenty thousand dollars. The Lodge is out on the Meredith Bay ice at this time, a short distance from the boat ramp and town docks.

Just think ...... for $20,000 ...... you can call The Lodge your's ..... and tow it home! At $20,000 ...... seems like a high price?

Plus, there's a different listing for a 4'x8' bob house going for $725 ...... also on the Meredith ice.

In the off ice season which is like 10-months or so of the year, what's a good off-season use for The Lodge bob house ..... I know, a mother-in-law's apartment!

Or, for $117.49 you can get a very nice, bright red Eskimo Quik-Fish, two person, portable pop-up ice fishing tent ...... on Ebay.

Somewhere, I can recall seeing a photo of a porta-potty, you know a small rental toilet made from vinyl or fiberglass that was used as an ice fishing bob-house ..... not a bad re-use for a porta-potty ..... plus it automatically includes a seat for comfy fishing thru the ice.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-25-2020 at 07:26 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote