Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
NH1322

Default Rent boat with captain for an hour

Hi--
We will be vacationing in NH around Memorial Day. It will mostly be in the mountains, but we are allotting an afternoon in the Lakes Region, probably around Meredith and Weirs Beach. Would be interested in taking a captained boat out for a small group of three and a dog for about an hour. Really can't go beyond that both because of limited time and also because we will have a 1 year old and not sure how long he will be able to tolerate. Just enough to enjoy cruising around the water for a bit, seeing the town shorelines from a distance, etc. I have ruled out renting a boat on our own due to some discomfort of being a virtually zero-experienced boater in unfamiliar waters.

Does anyone have an recommendations where we might look for a service that is willing to do such a short outing and allow a dog on board? I have looked into EKAL but they have not responded yet, and Shep Brown but I don't think they would do such a short outing. I also found this website https://www.boatwinni.com/servicesandpricing/
but can't seem to find out anything/any reviews about the operator. I have also considered Experience Squam but I think would prefer to be on Lake Winni close to the towns we are visiting.

Any recs or other advice would be appreciated, thanks.
NH1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH1322 For This Useful Post:
SimpleTL (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Respectfully, one hour is an extremely short outing! It may take 15-20 minutes to get a boat ready, depending on how the boat is accessed, parking, if any for your group, etc. Memorial weekend is an extremely busy marina time and is often the beginning of boating season for many! You would be more likely to find someone that would take you out if you allotted say, three hours or so. That would be a much more enjoyable “tour” for at least part of the lake.
With proper planning ahead and communication with your “captain” you might just be able to work something out...good luck!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Laconiaflower (02-13-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Most charters, if I could think of one,(I can't) would be very expensive. The rules are pretty strict about commercial boats and licensed captains. Leave the dog home and take a ride on the Sophie C. or Doris E. Individual charters have been tried many times over the years and have all failed, but watch the internet, there are always start ups. Naswa Resort, as an example, used to take their guest out for rides, so you may find a connection with whatever resort you're staying at.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:59 AM   #4
Reilly

Thumbs up new boat

Try out a new boat ,they will take you out for free
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 05:22 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

I've seen charters at the sandbar, etc. but I can't imagine anyone doing an hour. Loading, launching, return docking, and unloading alone will take at least a quarter of that...if everything goes perfectly. And then you have half of that to head out, half to head in. You'd only get 20 minutes or so before coming back.

I agree with 3 hours at the minimum or a Mt. Washington option, which would provide more places to take baby if not going well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2020, 05:31 AM   #6
ApS

Question "Other Advice"

How about a floatplane?

Winnipesaukee's got'em...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Church landing in Meredith has pontoon boat right in Meredith bay at the hotel dock that they use for touring.Might be worth a try
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Anchor Marine on Paugus Bay can provide rentals with a captain. I think they have a half-day minimum but if a boat is available they may be able to help you out for a shorter period:

https://www.anchormarine.net/drivers.htm

They also have one pontoon boat dedicated to small charters:

https://www.anchormarine.net/avalon.htm
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
ThePlut

Default Millie B

What about the Millie B out of Wolfeboro (I know it's not Meredith, but Wolfeboro is very pretty as well...) 45 minute boat tour, gorgeous classic boat.

Would guess that the dog is a no though.

https://www.nhbm.org/millie-b/
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #10
Phantom

NH1332 --

First off, Welcome to the Forum.

As stated above, I want to emphasize that allotting just 1 hour is not nearly enough time and perhaps you consider other plans or allot at least 2-3 hours for a boating excursion.

Getting "non-boaters" situated, life jackets on (as needed), and prepared for departure will take 10-15 minutes. Consider that equally for returning to dock. Right there you have limited yourself to a 30-35 minute ride.

Given that you are planning on Memorial day weekend, one of the busier boating days outside of the 4 of July, taking into consideration boating traffic/waves/ the need to go slower because of novices (and a dog) aboard---- a 30 minute ride might get you (for example) from the Weirs to Meredith Town docks …...…...…. but won't get you BACK !! If in Paugus Bay (Anchor Marine) you might be able to make it to Weirs Beach after traversing the Channel - but again, won't make it back in 30-35 minutes.

I by no means am trying to splash "cold water" on your idea, but want you to have a realistic view. Many a weekend in the summer I spend taking guests & friends for a "short" tour of the Lake ...……… all have been at least 2 hours

Something for you to consider.

The Millie B out of Wolfeboro (above) is an excellent choice - but you stated in the Weirs/Meredith area.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

My daughter rented a Pontoon charter last summer but I believe it was a minimum 4 hours and It was $150 per hour. I agree with the above posts, You're not going to see much in an hour.
You might try the pontoon tours of Squam lake. It's a great take and reasonably affordable but even that is much more than an hour.

Last edited by Biggd; 02-06-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Mt. Washington cruise

Take a cruise on the Mount Washington. It's about two and a half hours, narrated, not affected particularly by boat wakes and / or waves from wind. Also, you can go inside to get out if the sun or wind. Don't think you can bring a family dog on board.

Dave
Old 02-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
Bear Guy

Default Miss Meredith?

There are current advertisements for the Miss Meredith - an antique boat ride, 45 minutes, out of Meredith bay, departing hourly in peak season.

http://www.ekalactivitycenter.com/antique-boat-rides

Last edited by Bear Guy; 02-06-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: not an endorsement; I have no experience or affiliation.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #14
BoatHouse

No offense, but I would have the following concerns if I were a Charter captain-
* Timeframe - 1 hour is short
* Infant - You will need to make sure you have a life vest that fits the infant.
* Dog - I have a dog, but see no joy in having my dog on the boat. Let alone someone else's dog.

Adjust or eliminate the three concerns above and you might have better luck finding someone.
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #15
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy View Post
There are current advertisements for the Miss Meredith - an antique boat ride, 45 minutes, out of Meredith bay, departing hourly in peak season.

http://www.ekalactivitycenter.com/antique-boat-rides
This is probably your best bet but I don't see them taking a dog on board. You're not going to see much in 45 minutes though. I think it's just a ride around the bay.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Naswa Resort, as an example, used to take their guest out for rides, so you may find a connection with whatever resort you're staying at.
The NASWA still does free one hour rides for guests of the resort. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings during the boating season.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Descant (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Miss Meredith et al

It looks like ekal Activity Center (Miss Meredith) has multiple boats and will charter. On a charter you might be able to bring your dog in a crate. If it's a bigger dog, that may be more of a problem.
I drove the Miss Winni's; little kids all just fell asleep. That was a 20 minute ride. We took up to nine passengers; load and unload took about a minute. Nobody had backpacks, coolers etc. or they left them with the dock attendant.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #18
NH1322

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies, exactly the type of feedback and suggestions I was hoping to get, even if the end result is it is not very feasible. BTW, and this probably doesn't make much difference but just to be more precise, this would probably be the Tuesday after Memorial Day, so not exactly Memorial Day weekend proper.

I realize an hour is very short and would love to do longer, but ultimately if it the choice between running around on land for a couple hours (beaches, trails, Funspot, etc.) and being on a boat for the same period, the kids would probably enjoy the land more at this point. Plus it sounds like the going rate for charters is about $150/hour, so a couple hours would be getting a bit pricey for us. I have rented a pontoon on our local lake in Maryland (Deep Creek) and driven it around ourselves and had pleasant one hour outings, but that is a much smaller and controlled man made lake where you can't really get into any trouble, and I realize Lake Winni is probably a much larger scale, as well as the other constraints (congestion, speed/wake zones, etc.) that others have helpfully pointed out that I would not know never having visited. One of the things I was hoping to find out was how much could be seen an hour in this area even if one willing to take us out, and I guess the answer is not much.

By the way, someone mentioned Sophie C and Doris E; I actually forgot to mention I also looked at that, and those would actually be my first choices as they are inexpensive and allow dogs; I have taken our dog on a similar mail boat in Acadia and it was perfect and the dog did just fine (basically just sat on my lap the whole time). Alas, they tell me these boats will not be running until after "bike week", which by my research is not until later in June. Mt. Washington would be an option if not for the dog. Another ideal option would be a water taxi type service, did that in Charleston also with dog, nice hour loop, but looks like does not exist on Lake Winni (is that the Foxy boat service someone mentioned?)

I will continue asking EKAL about Miss Meredith (similar to the Millie B in Wolfeboro others have mentioned, I take it); that is a 45 minute ride and I guess even if not much can be seen there would at least be the thrill of being on a speedboat. Squam Adventures also does 1 hour tours of Squam Lake and allows dogs for extra fee, maybe that is an option too. And I will follow up with some of the other places people have suggested.

Or maybe we'll just rent a canoe or paddle boats from EKAL and circle around for a bit just to get a taste of being on the water and getting a little exercise.

Thanks again, and would continue welcoming more feedback if others want to chime in.

Last edited by NH1322; 02-06-2020 at 07:19 PM.
NH1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH1322 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-13-2020), jbolty (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Good luck, forum friend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:16 AM   #20
SteveO123

Squam Science Center in Holderness has a wonderful 90 minute tour of the lake (Squam that is..)

Likely no dogs allowed though...

https://www.nhnature.org/programs/ex...uam_cruise.php
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveO123 For This Useful Post:
NH1322 (02-07-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:26 AM   #21
Laconiaflower

Smile Make friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH1322 View Post
Hi--
We will be vacationing in NH around Memorial Day. It will mostly be in the mountains, but we are allotting an afternoon in the Lakes Region, probably around Meredith and Weirs Beach. Would be interested in taking a captained boat out for a small group of three and a dog for about an hour. Really can't go beyond that both because of limited time and also because we will have a 1 year old and not sure how long he will be able to tolerate. Just enough to enjoy cruising around the water for a bit, seeing the town shorelines from a distance, etc. I have ruled out renting a boat on our own due to some discomfort of being a virtually zero-experienced boater in unfamiliar waters.

Does anyone have an recommendations where we might look for a service that is willing to do such a short outing and allow a dog on board? I have looked into EKAL but they have not responded yet, and Shep Brown but I don't think they would do such a short outing. I also found this website https://www.boatwinni.com/servicesandpricing/
but can't seem to find out anything/any reviews about the operator. I have also considered Experience Squam but I think would prefer to be on Lake Winni close to the towns we are visiting.

Any recs or other advice would be appreciated, thanks.
As a long term and full time lakes region resident, homeowner, and extremely familiar with the lakes and the boating world, I suggest you simply make friends with someone who has a boat!!!! And I am sure they would gladly take you guys out for a ride. Being active online as well as In The community, talking with people or relatives I am sure you will figure something out, good luck!!!! M
Heck, worst comes to worse, on your trip, go to beach (make sure that it is permitted to do so!!) and chit chat with someone about wanting to go on the boat, it is a friendly community, and people I. The boating community read each other fairly well, it’s all about connecting with people!!!! If you are an honest easygoing family many people wouldn’t mind taking you out for a “spin. “
I do agree with someone else’s posted response though, respectfully, do not assume or expect that a boating trip will only take one hour, most likely won’t happen, it is a 4-6hour thing on average, all said and done, and there is work to be put into it, so please understand and respect that.
Laconiaflower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laconiaflower For This Useful Post:
CC185 (02-27-2020), NH1322 (02-14-2020)