Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Jasmine616

Default Sprint Cell Service

Anyone have Sprint cell service? I live in Moultonboro with AT&T and calls are dropping. Interested in switching to Sprint and wondering about service in the Lakes Region.
Jasmine616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Not Sprint, but the wife and I last week just switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. We are more towards Meredith and it’s odd. Never had more then two bars around the area with AT&T, now it is the same or better then we expected. But, at the house it is one bar at best. We are on a solid wifi here so no issues. If we lose power then that may become a problem. Yes, we signed for the over 55 plan at $70 per month unlimited everything plus new i phones. Funny thing the wife’s iPhone watch can get cell service better then the phones. Hope it helped

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine616 View Post
Anyone have Sprint cell service? I live in Moultonboro with AT&T and calls are dropping. Interested in switching to Sprint and wondering about service in the Lakes Region.
My daughter had Sprint for her company phone and her service was terrible at my house in Meredith.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Sprint

Sprint uses the Verizon network when roaming. If you tell Sprint you have problems they will waive the roaming fee.

AT&T had to upgrade their network in NH. They got the emergency responders bid and needed to have almost full coverage in the state.

T-Mobile uses GSM network. Very popular in Europe. GSM is available in major cities and along the interstate corridor. If you are out in the great North Woods, Northern Maine etc. you will have no coverage.

Verizon phones will transfer calls to wifi (4G) if CDMA is not available. Your phone must be capable to do the switch.

Verizon now have a 55+ plan unlimited data, voice and text for $45 a line. It's not advertised, you have to ask.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

We moved from Verizon to ATT this past summer after having terrible service with the former for a long while. ATT worked awesome for us everywhere EXCEPT the stretch between Canoe and Piccolo Market. Everywhere else was great. I'm surprised to hear you're having issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Sprint uses the Verizon network when roaming. If you tell Sprint you have problems they will waive the roaming fee.

AT&T had to upgrade their network in NH. They got the emergency responders bid and needed to have almost full coverage in the state.

T-Mobile uses GSM network. Very popular in Europe. GSM is available in major cities and along the interstate corridor. If you are out in the great North Woods, Northern Maine etc. you will have no coverage.

Verizon phones will transfer calls to wifi (4G) if CDMA is not available. Your phone must be capable to do the switch.

Verizon now have a 55+ plan unlimited data, voice and text for $45 a line. It's not advertised, you have to ask.
We did stop at the Verizon store in Meredith and was told to qualify for the over 55 plan you must have a Florida mailing address. Not for us and neither is the Great North woods!

Old 12-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
mhtranger

We have Sprint and have a place in Balmoral, service is awful. Yes it does use Verizon towers but even their service was sub par this past year. I tried T-Mobile and no luck there either.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtranger View Post
We have Sprint and have a place in Balmoral, service is awful. Yes it does use Verizon towers but even their service was sub par this past year. I tried T-Mobile and no luck there either.
Have you asked your association friends about their service experiences? I'd be interested to know what works best in that area.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
WinnisquamZ

Agree. The service from all the cell phone providers in the lakes region is spotty at best. The reason we went to t-mobile was cost. We are saving $90 a month. We believe the cost savings allow us to overlook a few drop calls

Old 12-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
TheProfessor

Android 8.0
New Motorola Moto e5 5.7" cell phone.
1 year service.
1500 minutes.
1500 texts.
1.5 GB data.
All for $49.00. That $49.00 is not per month but $49.00 for the full year Including the new cell phone.
Cell tower used varies. But for OP's town it is Verizon as the carrier.

LINK
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
swnoel

Just got Verizons newer prepaid service called Visible... it's $40 month unlimited everything including a hot spot. It includes what they call a party plan where up to 4 people can get together and reduce their monthly cost down to $25 month! You are billed separately and don't have to be family to do this.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Android 8.0
New Motorola Moto e5 5.7" cell phone.
1 year service.
1500 minutes.
1500 texts.
1.5 GB data.
All for $49.00. That $49.00 is not per month but $49.00 for the full year Including the new cell phone.
Cell tower used varies. But for OP's town it is Verizon as the carrier.

LINK
Took a look, and it's interesting (especially with their current promotions). The map still shows no service at Hanson Cove and I'm still not confident in Verizon's deprioritization given the network's saturation, especially on weekends/in summer, so I'll be looking for users' experiences.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
We did stop at the Verizon store in Meredith and was told to qualify for the over 55 plan you must have a Florida mailing address. Not for us and neither is the Great North woods!

I just switched to the over 55 plan on Verizon. I did it over the phone and I was told that you did not need a Florida address to qualify. If you owe money on your phone they will hit your credit card to pay off the balance.

Verizon:
Unlimited talk and text
6 Gigs internet.

$38 per month if you take the automatic pre-pay

You must be over 55 years old.

Phone number:800-256-4646

Tell them you want to switch to pre-paid.

I had to call 4 times to get through and wait on hold about 20 minutes. The promotion is good if you sign up before the end of the year.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-04-2019), BroadHopper (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Does not say much about the sales staff at the new Verizon store

Old 12-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Does not say much about the sales staff at the new Verizon store

We bought phones once from a Verizon RETAIL store. Never again. It's been corporate ever since.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #16
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine616 View Post
Whether boating on Winni or driving in the NH lakes region, Verizon coverage is very reliable. The coverage maps on each each carriers web site tell the story. Your overall costs will obviously range depending upon on how you pay for your phone hardware (cash, finance) and various discounts available relative to monthly service charges.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:19 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loub52 View Post
Whether boating on Winni or driving in the NH lakes region, Verizon coverage is very reliable. The coverage maps on each each carriers web site tell the story. Your overall costs will obviously range depending upon on how you pay for your phone hardware (cash, finance) and various discounts available relative to monthly service charges.
I posted about this elsewhere, but I think a fair amount of the issues people with Verizon were facing last summer (and end of previous summer) dealt with deprioritization rather than signal. I know with our prepaid, data access was essentially zero for the 4th of July week. Calls and texts were (usually) ok, but streaming music, etc. was impossible, and I spent enough time troubleshooting and working directly with Verizon to discover--not that they'll tell you--that their network gets overloaded in that area. Add to that well-documented 5g upgrade issues, and I'm confident that Verizon isn't nearly as reliable as it once was.

ATT has been as good as Verizon most everywhere I've been and better in our part of the lake.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Loub52 (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #18
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I posted about this elsewhere, but I think a fair amount of the issues people with Verizon were facing last summer (and end of previous summer) dealt with deprioritization rather than signal. I know with our prepaid, data access was essentially zero for the 4th of July week. Calls and texts were (usually) ok, but streaming music, etc. was impossible, and I spent enough time troubleshooting and working directly with Verizon to discover--not that they'll tell you--that their network gets overloaded in that area. Add to that well-documented 5g upgrade issues, and I'm confident that Verizon isn't nearly as reliable as it once was.

ATT has been as good as Verizon most everywhere I've been and better in our part of the lake.

I don’t have any experience with Verizon’s prepaid options and was unaware of the deprioritization issue. Good feedback for the OP
Old 12-05-2019, 07:11 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

There have been some changes with Verizon's network in the Gilford area over the last 4 years. Areas that always had great coverage lost it and despite repeated calls to Verizon they were unable to identify the cause. Last year it was much improved although they wont say what they changed.

Another problem is the lack of capacity in that area. The wireless system gets overloaded on concert nights at Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion. I have equipment that runs on Verizon's wireless network and multiple times when there were concerts it could not get a connection or handle a transaction.

I know that during Motorcycle Week they bring in a portable system, mounted on a trailer, to handle the additional cell phone traffic.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #20
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loub52 View Post
I don’t have any experience with Verizon’s prepaid options and was unaware of the deprioritization issue. Good feedback for the OP
It's not just prepaid, it's anything below the very top tier--every plan now has a "[carrier] may slow data speeds when the network is busy" message.

Of course, prepaid would be below postpaid plans, but how often it happens directly relates to the carrier's capacity vs. current users. AT&T seems to win in that ratio, at least at the lake.