Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2019, 04:44 AM   #1
WinnisquamZ

Default Election for Mayor of Laconia

The information available for the upcoming election to replace the Mayor of Laconia is limited. The Daily Sun appears to be staying away from any type of endorsement. We all understand why. However, are there debates scheduled, a calendar of events for each candidate. With all the changes happening is the city you would think this would be a larger story then what is being written or am I not looking in the right places
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Tuesday, November 5, 2019: City of Laconia election ballot for the mayor who serves for two years.

The current mayor is not running.

The ballot for mayor has Andrew Hosmer vs Peter John Spanos, or your write-in choice.

I gonna write in fatlazyless and hope it a no-show type of a job, cause my middle name is lazy and that's no joke!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-06-2019 at 04:16 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Correct, however who are these individuals? Do they support the current direction the city is going? WOW trail yes or no? Downtown ideas? Schools? Spending? Where do we find these answers

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Andrew Hosmer

Is doing a series of house parties throughout Laconia. One in my 'hood Monday Oct 7 at 7 PM at 3 Tanglewood Lane.

Spanos had a series of Letters on the TADASUN. That's about it. Very low key.
Remember, the mayor's position is only ceremonial.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Is doing a series of house parties throughout Laconia. One in my 'hood Monday Oct 7 at 7 PM at 3 Tanglewood Lane.

Spanos had a series of Letters on the TADASUN. That's about it. Very low key.
Remember, the mayor's position is only ceremonial.
Tadasun?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Tadasun?

Laconia Daily Sun.

The Mayor runs the City Council meetings so I would say the position is more than ceremonial.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
macbeth

For such a Smart " I'm assuming " group of people on here. I can't fathom how so many can not see ( Or choose not to ) that 1+1=2. Not going to argue about it, but it just amazes me. Laconia is in a downward spin and will never recover. Starts from the TOP. Just do a little more digging. It's there for the public to see. Just have to Look with open eyes.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macbeth For This Useful Post:
Reilly (10-07-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
TiltonBB

Quote:
Correct, however who are these individuals? Do they support the current direction the city is going? WOW trail yes or no? Downtown ideas? Schools? Spending? Where do we find these answers

Voters will get a chance to hear the views of mayoral candidates Peter Spanos and Andrew Hosmer in a pair of public forums, one on Tuesday at the Taylor Community and the other on Oct. 21 at Laconia Middle School.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:14 AM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
For such a Smart " I'm assuming " group of people on here. I can't fathom how so many can not see ( Or choose not to ) that 1+1=2. Not going to argue about it, but it just amazes me. Laconia is in a downward spin and will never recover. Starts from the TOP. Just do a little more digging. It's there for the public to see. Just have to Look with open eyes.
Wow that is extremely pessimistic and not what I am seeing. Yes all cities have issues but there is a lot of reinvestment going on downtown. It all takes time.

joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Default ....... linden trees!

Plant a linden tree, a hardy tree that does good in urban areas, along Union Ave, to bring large green trees back into the city ........ plant linden trees along Union Ave!

Union Ave used to be all Victorian homes and elm trees ..... and planting new trees could be a long term, grow-a-tree type of a plan for Laconia.

Plant a linden tree in Laconia ....... and, watch it grow.

http://www.justfunfacts.com/interest...-linden-trees/

Do a google search for 'linden tree in urban area', and look at the photos. Lindens are common in Belarus, Czech Republic, England, Ireland, Germany, Poland and Ukraine with a climate similar to New Hampshire. Union Ave would be greatly improved with some linden trees .... plus, it's a low cost to plant one. You just dig a big hole, and plop it into the ground ....... done! ...... plus the city already has a big yellow digger machine ..... and, the new mayor can then say "just look at all these beautiful new linden trees, here in Laconia!"

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-06-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
WinnisquamZ

Read the Sun. Good we have a chance to listen to each, but all questions must be submitted before hand and approval is need. You won’t be able to ask real questions. I would vote for the candidate that takes live questions from voters!

Old 10-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Wow that is extremely pessimistic and not what I am seeing. Yes all cities have issues but there is a lot of reinvestment going on downtown. It all takes time.

I was Born/Raised/and Live in Laconia. Maybe it's the LI part of you that can't see. This is a very REALISTIC view of what's happening in Laconia. FYI, Laconia's DOWNTOWN is the thing of the past. Left in 69 with urban renewal which is same thing that is happening now ( Just in different words ). If you choose to not see it, that is not my problem. Maybe you are looking for it to be like LI. Not sure, but all downtown Laconia is a Den for Drug users.
I have to many friends on the Force that have my opinion's and worse attitude's.
about what Laconia has turned into. Just Stating the obvious, Just look at what a lot of people on here have posted about Laconia. Never a good thing. Just sayin !
Reilly (10-07-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ..... buzz-buzz-buzz!

Quote:
.... I was Born/Raised/and Live in Laconia .... FYI, Laconia's DOWNTOWN is the thing of the past ....... but all downtown Laconia is a Den for Drug users.
...... well, another serious good reason for planting linden trees, because linden trees will help to cure drug addiction ..... just, take a look at the link above in #10 to fun facts about linden trees .... the curative benefits derived from the linden ..... plus is a bee buzz attraction for honey bees ..... who use the linden tree to get a buzz on ..... buzz-buzz-buzz!
Old 10-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #14
CooperS7777

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
I was Born/Raised/and Live in Laconia. Maybe it's the LI part of you that can't see. This is a very REALISTIC view of what's happening in Laconia. FYI, Laconia's DOWNTOWN is the thing of the past. Left in 69 with urban renewal which is same thing that is happening now ( Just in different words ). If you choose to not see it, that is not my problem. Maybe you are looking for it to be like LI. Not sure, but all downtown Laconia is a Den for Drug users.
I have to many friends on the Force that have my opinion's and worse attitude's.
about what Laconia has turned into. Just Stating the obvious, Just look at what a lot of people on here have posted about Laconia. Never a good thing. Just sayin !
Laconia's downtown is heading in the right direction, its certainly not in a thing of the past. Its clear for anyone whose spent time down there over the past decade that there are many great new, thriving business which are here for the long term and that improvements, though no moving at the pace most would like, are happening. Anyone can form an opinion based upon what "people have posted", it takes a little more effort to get out and see for yourself.

The real problem is the people who are stuck blaming its "demise" on decisions made 50+ years ago and who unwilling to face the challenges we face today in turning it into a great place yet again.
CooperS7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CooperS7777 For This Useful Post:
MRD (10-07-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #15
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

Laconia's downtown is heading in the right direction, its certainly not in a thing of the past. Its clear for anyone whose spent time down there over the past decade that there are many great new, thriving business which are here for the long term and that improvements, though no moving at the pace most would like, are happening. Anyone can form an opinion based upon what "people have posted", it takes a little more effort to get out and see for yourself.

The real problem is the people who are stuck blaming its "demise" on decisions made 50+ years ago and who unwilling to face the challenges we face today in turning it into a great place yet again.
What exactly are these challenges you so speak about. It's the same problem other then we don't have a Main st.
Ask anyone that lives in Laconia for any length of time. Also actually stop and ask police officer, off the record. Please just ask and get the true first hand info.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:03 AM   #16
iw8surf

I see a lot of businesses in downtown Laconia not so much thriving, but just staying alive. Struggle through the winter to hopefully just make enough during the summer to stay open another year.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
macbeth (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #17
joey2665

Quote:

Thanks for the LI comments I appreciate it. I have been in the area for 15 years own several businesses in the area and a large commercial building in downtown Laconia. Again nothing is perfect but the city is moving in the right direction but cannot stop here. We need forward thinking leadership to continue growth by attracting more businesses and more destinations within the city.

As far as the drug issue, this unfortunately is extremely common in small cities such as Laconia and growing the city brining more awareness will help the issue. There is no fix quick cure.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #18
joey2665

Quote:
What exactly are these challenges you so speak about. It's the same problem other then we don't have a Main st.
Ask anyone that lives in Laconia for any length of time. Also actually stop and ask police officer, off the record. Please just ask and get the true first hand info.
If you are so pessimistic about Laconia why do you still live there? Yes I have spoken to many residents and law enforcement and all say it is definitely getting better, maybe not as fast as they would like but again a positive direction.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #19
macbeth

Quote:
If you are so pessimistic about Laconia why do you still live there? Yes I have spoken to many residents and law enforcement and all say it is definitely getting better, maybe not as fast as they would like but again a positive direction.

Money reasons rule so many things. I'm not saying you DIDN'T speak with any, however I highly doubt it. They KNOW it's not getting better, and if your friends with them, they will tell you the truth. Take the Colonial Theater as the PRIME EXAMPLE, There as been talk for years and years about refurbishing it. I actually know one of the Key people in the revitalization aspect of it. It won't happen. These will be my last words with you. You choose to wear rose colored glasses. I only the other hand don't wear glasses and can see what's going on perfectly. When reality hits you, then and only then you will see what Laconia has begun and continuing to be. Try to have a wonderful day.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #20
Major

Default This Weekend

The number of drug users are worse than ever. I went to 4:00 pm Mass at St. Josephs and parked in the large parking lot adjacent to city hall. On the grass near the river, two drug addicts were trying to revive another drug addict who was sprawled on the ground. I waited a little to call 911 just in case, but he seemed to be coming around so I left.

Around the corner at the library, the usual litany of homeless people were hanging around on the steps of the library.

Yes, there are businesses trying to make it, but we are not attracting the type of people who will make these businesses thrive. The older population is being replaced by Section 8 and drug rehab types, and my guess is that they are not the target audience for expensive coffee shops and lunch places, or to attend the theater.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
macbeth (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #21
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
The number of drug users are worse than ever. I went to 4:00 pm Mass at St. Josephs and parked in the large parking lot adjacent to city hall. On the grass near the river, two drug addicts were trying to revive another drug addict who was sprawled on the ground. I waited a little to call 911 just in case, but he seemed to be coming around so I left.

Around the corner at the library, the usual litany of homeless people were hanging around on the steps of the library.

Yes, there are businesses trying to make it, but we are not attracting the type of people who will make these businesses thrive. The older population is being replaced by Section 8 and drug rehab types, and my guess is that they are not the target audience for expensive coffee shops and lunch places, or to attend the theater.
Correct Major, Thank you. Unfortunately Laconia is going in the way of Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Denver, Seattle, etc etc. Maybe not as strong due to population, but just seems to be the same scenario as most L-----L run Cities and States. That's not being pessimistic that is Reality.
Major (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Isn't there a homeless shelter on nearby Union Ave that sends the homeless out at 8am, or sometime, every day, so's they go hit the public library area.

Like this morning, it is pouring rain hard, so's if you got no home and no car ..... where do you go ..... the public library would be at the top of my list ..... it has comfy chairs, indoor toilets with hot water sinks, and free-to-use internet so one can kill some time writing posts on this here Winni Forum!

It even has books to read. Supposedly, people doing long time in prison do a lot of reading books from the prison library. Isn't this correct!

The drug users probably just want to escape their miserable life, so they do drugs, and go escape themself.

I still say that Laconia would be a happier and more livable place if linden trees got planted all over, wherever one will grow and be a happy LINDEN growing in LACONIA.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #23
Woodsy

I got to chat with Pete Spanos over the weekend. Gov. Sununu even swung by to say hi! I liked what I heard from him.

Because I think taxes are a huge issue, especially in Laconia, I asked about the tax cap... He is not in favor of getting rid of it. He wants a vibrant downtown, but not at the expense of every other neighborhood in the city.

Woodsy
Old 10-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #24
Mr. V

I'm far removed from the "realty of Laconia," but it seems pretty clear that the main problem is that the mills closed down and not enough new businesses came in to take there place.

On the other hand, if there aren't enough jobs for willing applicants, why is it so hard to find workers for restaurants?

Are people too picky, too lazy?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #25
WinnisquamZ

Spanos is the better of the two if you are looking to lower spending and watch expenditures. My concern is he works away from Laconia and just built a million dollar lake house in Tilton. Having a difficult time understanding his commitment to the community

Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #26
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post

I hope you are correct. I too would like to see it come back to its former glory, but its missing something.

Laconia (almost) 50 years ago from above, hard to believe it's been (almost) 50 years ago when they started urban renewal.

but its missing something.. Let's start with a Main Street. Build from there.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #27
CooperS7777

Quote:
The city faces many challenges but none of which I feel are entirely unique to Laconia, and none of which are issues that other cities haven't faced and overcome before. Of the most glaring are; a lack of affordable, middle income housing, lack of industry and the associated job market to support more of the cities residents and the drug epidemic.

I grew up in the Lakes Region, have been a resident of Laconia for 12+ years, a property owner for 10+, and have also recently invested in downtown business. Does that qualify my opinion as that of someone who has lived in Laconia for any length of time? Lastly, I am in fact good friends with several members of LPD as well as LFD, so I have plenty of "first hand" information.
joey2665 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #28
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
The city faces many challenges but none of which I feel are entirely unique to Laconia, and none of which are issues that other cities haven't faced and overcome before. Of the most glaring are; a lack of affordable, middle income housing, lack of industry and the associated job market to support more of the cities residents and the drug epidemic.

I grew up in the Lakes Region, have been a resident of Laconia for 12+ years, a property owner for 10+, and have also recently invested in downtown business. Does that qualify my opinion as that of someone who has lived in Laconia for any length of time? Lastly, I am in fact good friends with several members of LPD as well as LFD, so I have plenty of "first hand" information.
But, you did not tell us anything. You told us about your ties to the community, however you left out what direction the city should take and solutions to get us there

Old 10-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #29
CooperS7777

Quote:
But, you did not tell us anything. You told us about your ties to the community, however you left out what direction the city should take and solutions to get us there
I never claimed to hold the answers to our cities problems. I simply stated its much easier write a place off based upon ones readings on the internet, or the opinions of a few, then it is to be part of the solution.

My biggest contention was that macbeth is simply wrong in the statement:

Quote:
Laconia is in a downward spin and will never recover.

Last edited by CooperS7777; 10-08-2019 at 01:59 AM.
joey2665 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #30
macbeth

Quote:
I never claimed to hold the answers to our cities problems. I simply stated its much easier write a place off based upon ones readings on the internet, or the opinions of a few, then it is to be part of the solution.

My only biggest contention was that macbeth is simply wrong in the statement:
So, let me understand this correctly. Because YOU don't agree with my opinion
I am WRONG. Sounds like California Thinking to me. Don't worry, winter is right around the corner, you will feel right at home then.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #31
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post

I hope you are correct. I too would like to see it come back to its former glory, but its missing something.

Laconia (almost) 50 years ago from above, hard to believe it's been (almost) 50 years ago when they started urban renewal.

Thanks Top Water. Great photos can see my building as it was 50 years ago. Very cool. I appreciate it very much.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:04 AM   #32
fatlazyless

Default .... the wow trail?

Looking at Peter Spanos' facebook photos, there's a number of mountain peaks in the white mountains as go-to spots for weekend recreation hiking. Places that lots or readers here are probably familiar with, like posing with friends for a photo on the summit spot with the summit of Mt Washington, elevation 6288-sign, high atop the "rock pile."

So, Peter must be a hiker, and that probably means he could be a good supporter for building the wow trail cause he knows the benefits of outdoor walking exercise for the community.

People want to get out there and do some walking, and the wow trail could be a great place to go take a walk along the lake in Laconia.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #33
Major

I wish we were tracking for a brighter future, I really do. However, the evidence suggests the contrary. Where is the investment in attracting small businesses and manufacturing jobs? There isn't any, both on a local and state level. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but the city council decided to invest in Section 8 housing and drug rehab centers, and this decision, unfortunately, will follow us in the future. Needless to say we are not attracting the best and the brightest who would raise families, attend our schools, and ultimately increase the value of our properties. We are experiencing one of the greatest economic booms since the mid-eighties, and what has that done to improve downtown Laconia. Not much. Imagine when a downturn occurs, what the economic future will be like at that time.

Like Macbeth, I grew up in Laconia. I am personal friends with the former chief. The police are spinning the problem, and if you think about it, what are they supposed to say? "Laconia is attracting more and more homeless drug users?" Of course they will tell you that Laconia has a bright future, etc. I spend a lot of time driving around Laconia, and my eyes tell me something different. Look at the beautiful homes on Pleasant Street turned into rundown apartments and the homes of a lot of people who make their way into the paper. Look at the abandoned/dilapidated homes along Union Ave and Court Street.

This problem will only grow, not only in Laconia but on the East Coast in general. We have a penchant in adopting the liberal policies founded on the West Coast. Homeless encampments are already here (on the river and off the Wow trail), and will be on full display in the near future. The solutions are available, but the political climate is against them. This shouldn't be the case, but we tolerate it and we get what we deserve.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (10-09-2019), CTYankee (10-08-2019), macbeth (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #34
Mr. V

Quote:
Homeless encampments are already here (on the river and off the Wow trail), and will be on full display in the near future. The solutions are available, but the political climate is against them. This shouldn't be the case, but we tolerate it and we get what we deserve.
What "solutions are available" to the drug / homeless problem?

Bring back vagrancy laws?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #35
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
I wish we were tracking for a brighter future, I really do. However, the evidence suggests the contrary. Where is the investment in attracting small businesses and manufacturing jobs? There isn't any, both on a local and state level. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but the city council decided to invest in Section 8 housing and drug rehab centers, and this decision, unfortunately, will follow us in the future. Needless to say we are not attracting the best and the brightest who would raise families, attend our schools, and ultimately increase the value of our properties. We are experiencing one of the greatest economic booms since the mid-eighties, and what has that done to improve downtown Laconia. Not much. Imagine when a downturn occurs, what the economic future will be like at that time.

Like Macbeth, I grew up in Laconia. I am personal friends with the former chief. The police are spinning the problem, and if you think about it, what are they supposed to say? "Laconia is attracting more and more homeless drug users?" Of course they will tell you that Laconia has a bright future, etc. I spend a lot of time driving around Laconia, and my eyes tell me something different. Look at the beautiful homes on Pleasant Street turned into rundown apartments and the homes of a lot of people who make their way into the paper. Look at the abandoned/dilapidated homes along Union Ave and Court Street.

This problem will only grow, not only in Laconia but on the East Coast in general. We have a penchant in adopting the liberal policies founded on the West Coast. Homeless encampments are already here (on the river and off the Wow trail), and will be on full display in the near future. The solutions are available, but the political climate is against them. This shouldn't be the case, but we tolerate it and we get what we deserve.
A very well put assessment.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (10-08-2019), macbeth (10-08-2019), Major (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #36
iw8surf

Quote:

I agree about not adding manufacturing jobs. I was recruited to the lakes region out of college as a young engineer. After years at the company looking for a new job in the area was nonexistent. On top of that the offers I was getting from southern NH (30 miles south) were literally double the salary I got in Laconia. My biggest gripe wasn't even for my wages but the the hourly wage folks. What they paid people in the area was embarrassing, 9-13$/hr and we worked in "Aerospace" literally building stuff for the military, Space X etc. What kind of talent do you target when you offer those kind of wages? We essentially would just hire people (mostly from Laconia) who could pass the initial drug tests and then they'd work for a short period of time before they would fail the 90 day random tests we told them they'd have to take. Was a vicious cycle of turnover. Got real good at hiring and firing over those years though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
macbeth (10-08-2019), Major (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #37
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Just read an article titled "Homes in these waterfront cities are a total steal". Laconia is one of them. You do get more house for the money compared to the other towns on the lake but they don't mention the negatives that contribute to the lowers prices.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #38
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
What "solutions are available" to the drug / homeless problem?

Bring back vagrancy laws?
While I would not equate vagrancy with homelessness, we should not tolerate homelessness. People should have the right to travel freely. It is still America after all. If it's an issue of mental disorders, then we should evaluate and treat the mentally ill.

Here's an idea, let's bring back conservative values. Instead of teaching our kids that they can't get ahead because of [INSERT REASON], let's teach self-reliance and personal accountability. As a society we should punish abhorrent behavior, including homelessness. It can be done. Look at what Mayor Giuliani did in NYC. They did not tolerate homelessness. As a result, NYC became safer. Enforce the little things and the bigger things will fall in line.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-08-2019), Airedale1 (10-09-2019), CTYankee (10-08-2019), Hillcountry (10-08-2019), ishoot308 (10-08-2019), macbeth (10-08-2019), MAXUM (10-08-2019), tis (10-08-2019), Top-Water (10-08-2019), VitaBene (10-08-2019), Wifi-1 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #39
joey2665

Quote:
Look at what Mayor Giuliani did in NYC. They did not tolerate homelessness. As a result, NYC became safer. Enforce the little things and the bigger things will fall in line.
Absolutely correct and now after all his hard work, we had 8 years of Bloomberg and now 5 years of DeBlasio (Who doesn't even show up for work) NYC has now done a complete 360 and spiraling downward fast!!!
Old 10-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #40
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Work to be done

I agree that Laconia faces many challenges. As Major notes, we need to attract small businesses that can offer year round employment. One shining star in the area is Orion Entrance Controls https://orioneci.com/about/which manufactures turnstiles and other entrance controls right in Laconia. They recently tripled the size of their facility. They make great product that I specify often.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (10-08-2019), Major (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #41
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Just read an article titled "Homes in these waterfront cities are a total steal". Laconia is one of them. You do get more house for the money compared to the other towns on the lake but they don't mention the negatives that contribute to the lowers prices.
LOL people that write this stuff must think everyone is an idiot. There couldn't be any OBVIOUS reason why property in Laconia is not terribly desirable.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #42
Mr. V

Quote:
Enforce the little things and the bigger things will fall in line.
Still wondering what you suggest specifically to remedy the drug / homeless problem.

What "little things" should be enforced?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #43
Major

Quote:
Still wondering what you suggest specifically to remedy the drug / homeless problem.

What "little things" should be enforced?
I think you are being purposely obtuse. Being homeless is a crime -- most communities have laws preventing people from trespassing and sleeping on public or private property. Either move along or get arrested. As a society we are tolerating abnormal and illegal behavior. Enforce the laws. Arrest the drug addicts, imprison them. Try to get them help, but the onus is on them to either get in line or live a life of misery. Once we agree that we are not going to tolerate this type of behavior things will get better. As Joey stated, NYC is a great example.

I know one thing, if I make a misstep I will be punished to the full extent of the law. The sad truth is that our police don't want to deal with this BS, and it's easier to turn a blind eye. I'm not blaming the police, but it's easier to deal with a law-abiding citizen than someone who is not complying to societal norms. I can give you countless examples.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-09-2019), Wifi-1 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #44
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I agree that Laconia faces many challenges. As Major notes, we need to attract small businesses that can offer year round employment. One shining star in the area is Orion Entrance Controls https://orioneci.com/about/which manufactures turnstiles and other entrance controls right in Laconia. They recently tripled the size of their facility. They make great product that I specify often.
One of my law partners just got Orion as a client. Great, great company, and quite a success story. It would be interesting to find out how Orion came about choosing the Laconia Industrial Park, and what incentives it received for making the investment. Maybe it can be replicated?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #45
joey2665

Quote:
One of my law partners just got Orion as a client. Great, great company, and quite a success story. It would be interesting to find out how Orion came about choosing the Laconia Industrial Park, and what incentives it received for making the investment. Maybe it can be replicated?
That is an excellent constructive idea!!!! Thank you for getting away from the negativity and let's figure out plans to move the city forward, you cannot change the past (Although some try, lol)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #46
Mr. V

Quote:
I think you are being purposely obtuse. Being homeless is a crime --
Really?

So then,are are you saying that the way to solve the homeless problem is to build more jails and prisons?

That philosophy didn't work for the so-called "war on drugs" and it won't work for the newly-coined"war on the homeless."

I share your seeming dislike and frustration with homelessness, but I disagree with your belief that punishing people for their failure to succeed in life is a viable solution.

A guy flames out, burns all his bridges, has no home, no support system, no family to care about him, and he hits the streets: the dregs of humanity, total losers.

What to do?

I really don't know but I am searching for a viable solution.

Sorry if my genuine curiosity comes off as being "obtuse."
Old 10-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #47
Biggd

Quote:
I think you are being purposely obtuse. Being homeless is a crime -- most communities have laws preventing people from trespassing and sleeping on public or private property. Either move along or get arrested. As a society we are tolerating abnormal and illegal behavior. Enforce the laws. Arrest the drug addicts, imprison them. Try to get them help, but the onus is on them to either get in line or live a life of misery. Once we agree that we are not going to tolerate this type of behavior things will get better. As Joey stated, NYC is a great example.

I know one thing, if I make a misstep I will be punished to the full extent of the law. The sad truth is that our police don't want to deal with this BS, and it's easier to turn a blind eye. I'm not blaming the police, but it's easier to deal with a law-abiding citizen than someone who is not complying to societal norms. I can give you countless examples.
"Move along or get arrested" that's not a solution to the problem. The homeless have no where to go so that's just pushing the problem to another community. You may help the problem in Laconia but another community will be the recipient of that problem. But I understand, "out of sight out of mind" problem fixed, NOT!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #48
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

You know the government can be blamed for some of this. If they didn't make so many darn rules and regulations, rentals would be more affordable. I remember hearing about a homeless shelter in NY that could not be approved because it didn't have the elevator and all the required things. I guess nothing is better than something a little sub standard-if you can call it that. Truly housing would be more affordable if the gov. didn't need to save ourselves from ourselves. People need a little responsibility to feel good about themselves and if they don't have anything in the world to worry about, they can't feel that. Or maybe not.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #49
Major

Quote:
"Move along or get arrested" that's not a solution to the problem. The homeless have no where to go so that's just pushing the problem to another community. You may help the problem in Laconia but another community will be the recipient of that problem. But I understand, "out of sight out of mind" problem fixed, NOT!
You are making my point. Either you conform or you get arrested. We can provide some limited assistance, but ultimately the homeless or drug addled person involved is responsible for his own life. If, as a community, we vigorously enforce our laws against homelessness, drug use, drug sales, etc., we will be much better off for it. The homeless/drug user will then be faced with (1) conforming with societal expectations, (2) remain in a cycle of being arrested, imprisoned, set free, arrested, etc., (3) or move to a community that tolerates the behavior. I think we can put together a collection to buy one-way tickets to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland or Seattle. It appears that these communities tolerate if not embrace this type of behavior. Let them deal with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #50
Biggd

Quote:
You are making my point. Either you conform or you get arrested. We can provide some limited assistance, but ultimately the homeless or drug addled person involved is responsible for his own life. If, as a community, we vigorously enforce our laws against homelessness, drug use, drug sales, etc., we will be much better off for it. The homeless/drug user will then be faced with (1) conforming with societal expectations, (2) remain in a cycle of being arrested, imprisoned, set free, arrested, etc., (3) or move to a community that tolerates the behavior. I think we can put together a collection to buy one-way tickets to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland or Seattle. It appears that these communities tolerate if not embrace this type of behavior. Let them deal with it.
This is just another case of "not in my back yard". Push the problem along on someone else.
As far as homeless go, getting arrested is like giving them a hotel room and a free meal for the night. You think that's going to make them conform? That's never worked.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #51
Major

Quote:
This is just another case of "not in my back yard". Push the problem along on someone else.
As far as homeless go, getting arrested is like giving them a hotel room and a free meal for the night. You think that's going to make them conform? That's never worked.
I see nothing wrong with a community standing up against bad behavior. You either live by our rules, or find a place that will tolerate it. It has nothing to do with one's backyard. It has everything to do with what you want to be. One thing I know, we do not have control over the individuals involved. The choices are theirs alone. After some effort to help, I have no interest in finding out what works versus what doesn't work. I would rather focus on things that can be fixed and improve our community.
CTYankee (10-09-2019), joey2665 (10-09-2019), Wifi-1 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #52
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Since NYC is used as an example it should be pointed out that NYC has an extensive shelter system where about 70,000 people are housed and cared for every night. That system was built over many decades. The west coast cities that are now becoming overwhelmed with homeless were not so well prepared and instead just removed the laws preventing people from living in your park or on your sidewalk, which is also their bathroom. That has become a nightmare for both residents and the environment.

Does anyone know that capacity of the shelters in Laconia and how many homeless are now living in Laconia?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #53
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Since NYC is used as an example it should be pointed out that NYC has an extensive shelter system where about 70,000 people are housed and cared for every night. That system was built over many decades. The west coast cities that are now becoming overwhelmed with homeless were not so well prepared and instead just removed the laws preventing people from living in your park or on your sidewalk, which is also their bathroom. That has become a nightmare for both residents and the environment.

Does anyone know that capacity of the shelters in Laconia and how many homeless are now living in Laconia?
My guess is around two dozen or so. We have Belknap House, Carey House, Salvation Army (although I am not sure they can bed people). It's not a lot.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #54
jetskier

Post Economic Development

It is clear that Laconia is in need of an economic turnaround. Historically, the city benefited from tourism especially in the 80s. I think that we are going through a bit of an economic and cultural shift as millennials are much more urban. Companies are drawn to locate where they have competitive advantages, this could be access to talent, colocation to universities, or inexpensive labor (depending upon the model.)

Right now access to labor is difficult (as many of the seasonal businesses have indicated), we don't have strong university ties and talent (tech in particular) is limited. It is a little bit of a chicken and egg problem.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #55
fatlazyless

https://sites.google.com/site/belknaphousenh/photos …… gosh ….. and holy shazzammm ….. it looks neat, clean, uncluttered, and very nice ….. I just wish my mega-million dollar cottage on Winnipesaukee was just half as neat, clean and uncluttered as this here Belknap House homeless shelter …… and, oh yeah …. it has a mega million dollar view, too! …. …. plus the homeless shelter probably has Laconia town water and town sewer!

So, when can I move in?

Do they have a ping pong table? ….

Looking at the above website photos; Belknap House has a Gilmanton Room, a Laconia Room, a Center Harbor Room, a Sanbornton Room, a Barnstead Room, and a Tilton Room ……. but what ….. why no Meredith Room?
…….

Say hey ….. here's a thought ….. maybe the homeless could be used to get out into the community and go plant linden trees all over Laconia as their way to contribute …… and make them dig the hole in the ground using a $10.95 long handled garden shovel from Walmart as opposed to a dpw John Deere back hoe …… and dig the tree hole the old fashioned way ….. by hand ….. which still works … and it gives people a sense of accomplishment ……. there, we just planted a linden tree ….. good to grow for 250-years.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #56
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

It should also be noted that on the west coast, every city that is overwhelmed with homeless has openly advertised they are "sanctuary" cities, all but begging to be overrun with illegals crossing the borders and bums from all over the country. Once there are promised and often times get lots of "free" stuff, and minimal, if not outright guarantees that law enforcement will not hassle them or any of their extra curricular activates.

These cities have created this problem by making themselves a magnet and now in all their glorious virtue have created a major mess and of course have no solution for it and I question if they even give a damn. Think Nancy Pelosi for example has a clue what is going on in her district? The woman can't even come up with two back to back coherent words never mind a rational thought. This is a self inflicted problem and it's sad, in fact it is a tragedy yet those responsible smugly look on and do nothing or just point the finger at somebody else if they even choose to acknowledge there is a problem in the first place.

The solution to the issues that Laconia faces is easy enough to solve, but the overly sensitive public is to afraid to face the reality that not everything can be solved with rainbows and unicorns feel good theories of utopia coming out of the mouths of all these politicians. In other words somebody has to put on their big boy pants and actually SOLVE the problem, not study it, throw money at it or deny it is even a problem. So far the only things I have heard is lipstick on a pig.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
jbolty (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #57
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
It should also be noted that on the west coast, every city that is overwhelmed with homeless has openly advertised they are "sanctuary" cities, all but begging to be overrun with illegals crossing the borders and bums from all over the country. Once there are promised and often times get lots of "free" stuff, and minimal, if not outright guarantees that law enforcement will not hassle them or any of their extra curricular activates.

These cities have created this problem by making themselves a magnet and now in all their glorious virtue have created a major mess and of course have no solution for it and I question if they even give a damn. Think Nancy Pelosi for example has a clue what is going on in her district? The woman can't even come up with two back to back coherent words never mind a rational thought. This is a self inflicted problem and it's sad, in fact it is a tragedy yet those responsible smugly look on and do nothing or just point the finger at somebody else if they even choose to acknowledge there is a problem in the first place.

The solution to the issues that Laconia faces is easy enough to solve, but the overly sensitive public is to afraid to face the reality that not everything can be solved with rainbows and unicorns feel good theories of utopia coming out of the mouths of all these politicians. In other words somebody has to put on their big boy pants and actually SOLVE the problem, not study it, throw money at it or deny it is even a problem. So far the only things I have heard is lipstick on a pig.
This. Every article you read about homelessness starts out with "affordable housing" But the guy on the corner wearing 6 pairs of pants and yelling at the stop sign is not a rent payment away from the American dream. The mental hospitals were just transferred to the prisons. It's sad, we spend plenty of money but most of it is directed at encouraging the problems.

Most of the east has less of a problem with vagrancy simply because of the climate
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-09-2019), Bigstan (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #58
Bigstan

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with a community standing up against bad behavior. You either live by our rules, or find a place that will tolerate it. It has nothing to do with one's backyard. It has everything to do with what you want to be. One thing I know, we do not have control over the individuals involved. The choices are theirs alone. After some effort to help, I have no interest in finding out what works versus what doesn't work. I would rather focus on things that can be fixed and improve our community.
It's tolerated every day. From last weeks LDS, 40 indictments for drugs -

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...af4e3c806.html

And in anther month or two you can read all about the suspended sentences / released with time served / $620 fine suspended on condition of one year of good behavior.....Etc.

For fun - Google the first five names on the list and see if you can count the times all of them have been arrested previously - I won't waste the time beyond the first five, but I bet every single name on that list has no fewer than three prior arrests. Most will have more.

I would be chastising the judges to start tossing maximum sentences around. No problems solved, but it gets rid of the person for a couple years, and noone was solving the problem anyways.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #59
Mr. V

Punishing / jailing people merely for being homeless is borderline insane.

Best attack the cause of the problem:

1) mental illness. Lots of these people don't take prescribed meds, which leads to homelessness. Perhaps Big Pharma could figure out a way to time release meds such that they need only get a shot once in awhile; keeping them medicated will help.

2) family. Consider changing the law to require family members to take in and take care of their adult progeny who would otherwise be homeless.

3) jobs. This is a tough one: create jobs for homeless people: yeah, I know, easy to say, hard to do. Maybe a program akin to Job Corps, to train and house them til they are able to get to work.

4) Purge Day: once a year it's "open season" on homeless, with no limit (just kidding, but I know some of you will slam your beer down and yell "Yeah, baby!"
Biggd (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #60
fatlazyless

Default ...... Aaaa-men to the Belknap homeless chain gang

While getting two new tires at the VIP auto store on Union Ave this afternoon, I got lucky and caught a rerun of the October 3, Belknap County Commissioners' meeting. It is definitely worth watching!

Did you know that by a vote of three to zero, with all the three county commissioners voting yes, the county wants to establish a Gunstock Mountain snow grooming crew that puts the homeless from Belknap House on the slopes, and grooming the snow.

Here's the plan. Anyone age 18 and older, who stays overnight at Belknap House as a homeless person will, on the next morning at 7-am, be locked into a six person chain gang and transported to the Gunstock ski slopes for 8-hours, 8am-4pm, of chain gang snow grooming where he/she uses a hand held rake, similar to a golf course sand trap rake for smoothing and shaping the ski slopes.

As a middle of the road NH Republican, I say that after they do the slopes, the chain gang should get transported to the middle of the County Complex in Laconia and do a second 8-hours of snow removal work for the county.

All those here in favor here ...... please say thank-you to the Belknap County Commissioners for instituting this new plan!

Hip hip hooray for renewing that chain gang from long gone, 60 years ago ..... it's back to the chain gang for the Belknap County homeless here in 2019 .....

Amen, and maybe some women, too.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #61
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
While getting two new tires at the VIP auto store on Union Ave this afternoon, I got lucky and caught a rerun of the October 3, Belknap County Commissioners' meeting. It is definitely worth watching!

Did you know that by a vote of three to zero, with all the three county commissioners voting yes, the county wants to establish a Gunstock Mountain snow grooming crew that puts the homeless from Belknap House on the slopes, and grooming the snow.

Here's the plan. Anyone age 18 and older, who stays overnight at Belknap House as a homeless person will, on the next morning at 7-am, be locked into a six person chain gang and transported to the Gunstock ski slopes for 8-hours, 8am-4pm, of chain gang snow grooming where he/she uses a hand held rake, similar to a golf course sand trap rake for smoothing and shaping the ski slopes.

As a middle of the road NH Republican, I say that after they do the slopes, the chain gang should get transported to the middle of the County Complex in Laconia and do a second 8-hours of snow removal work for the county.

All those here in favor here ...... please say thank-you to the Belknap County Commissioners for instituting this new plan!

Hip hip hooray for renewing that chain gang from long gone, 60 years ago ..... it's back to the chain gang for the Belknap County homeless here in 2019 .....

Amen, and maybe some women, too.

This logic, nonsense and distraction is why nothing gets done
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wifi-1 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-10-2019), Top-Water (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 06:35 AM   #62
Biggd

Quote:
Punishing / jailing people merely for being homeless is borderline insane.

Best attack the cause of the problem:

1) mental illness. Lots of these people don't take prescribed meds, which leads to homelessness. Perhaps Big Pharma could figure out a way to time release meds such that they need only get a shot once in awhile; keeping them medicated will help.

2) family. Consider changing the law to require family members to take in and take care of their adult progeny who would otherwise be homeless.

3) jobs. This is a tough one: create jobs for homeless people: yeah, I know, easy to say, hard to do. Maybe a program akin to Job Corps, to train and house them til they are able to get to work.

4) Purge Day: once a year it's "open season" on homeless, with no limit (just kidding, but I know some of you will slam your beer down and yell "Yeah, baby!"
#4, sad but true. It's called "thinning the herd".
Old 10-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #63
fatlazyless

Quote:
#4, sad but true. It's called "thinning the herd".
.... between cigarettes, drunk driving, motorcycles, and old age .... there's plenty thinning the herd happening ..... with old age finishing last. The D.O.T. sign on Rt 93 on the Campton flats says 83-NH road deaths, so far in 2019.

.... and, going from Oct 10 to Oct 23 the D.O.T. sign now says 89 NH road deaths, or six deaths in 11 days which is a much higher rate than usual, probably a lot of deaths happen with cars not merging into flow of traffic when they get onto Route 93 ...... like enroute to one of the many fine retail stores in Tilton or Laconia ..... is so sad ..... r.i.p.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-23-2019 at 09:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #64
Major

Quote:
If Andrew Hosmer were here, I'd ask him ..... as Mayor of Laconia ..... how come it is so difficult to find a low priced suv, not a Jeep, with a 5-speed, stick shift and a clutch pedal ..... these days. How come I can get a Kia Soul with a stick shift but not a Kia Sportage or a Ford Explorer with a stick ....... that's my question, Mr Mayor to be?
I don't think Andrew Hosmer has anything to do with the dealership any longer. From an outsider's perspective, it appears that he's had a hard time sticking to any job, whether it be an assistant district attorney, an auto dealership executive, a consultant, etc. At a minimum, one would think they could concoct a do-nothing job at AutoServe for him. It appears he's doing this because he's bored.

My vote is for Spanos. At least he brings some level of fiscal responsibility to the council. Also, he's a proponent of the tax cap.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #65
djmikeb

There was a debate October 8th and another will be October 21
djmikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #66
djmikeb

Quote:
Absolutely correct and now after all his hard work, we had 8 years of Bloomberg and now 5 years of DeBlasio (Who doesn't even show up for work) NYC has now done a complete 360 and spiraling downward fast!!!
Yep DeBlasio is a complete Disaster in NYC his liberal policies are bringing NYC back to Dinkins era which was terrible all the hard work that Giuliani did to clean up NYC are now out the window. We need workfare for welfare as well as a way to help prevent and curb this drug epidemic. Andrew Hosmer is NOT the answer for Laconia he wants more "affordable housing" and more "government control" The only person that can help make Laconia Fiscally responsible and has the tools to help clean up Laconia is Peter Spanos!!!
Old 10-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #67
WinnisquamZ

The political signs around the city appear to be equal. Just my observation. But, the locations are not. Signage for Hosmer show up on more business locations and Spanos individual homes and open fields. Again, just my observation. Does it mean anything, can’t tell you. Just saying. Hosmer now has one on the Lakeport Opera House. Guessing he is supports the individual looking to develop it and the surrounding neighborhood. He must also support taking the kids park for additional parking

Old 10-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #68
Woodsy

I will not vote for Hosmer.... I was on the fence with his background, Autoserv, Lobbyist, Navigating Recovery. But then I went through his twitter account! YIKES!

https://twitter.com/SenatorHosmer

https://twitter.com/SenatorHosmer/st...61396679061504

Woodsy
Old 10-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #69
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I will not vote for Hosmer.... I was on the fence with his background, Autoserv, Lobbyist, Navigating Recovery. But then I went through his twitter account! YIKES!

https://twitter.com/SenatorHosmer

https://twitter.com/SenatorHosmer/st...61396679061504

Woodsy
Thank you for this information

Old 10-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #70
greeleyhill

Default This seems a little dramatic

Quote:
Money reasons rule so many things. I'm not saying you DIDN'T speak with any, however I highly doubt it. They KNOW it's not getting better, and if your friends with them, they will tell you the truth. Take the Colonial Theater as the PRIME EXAMPLE, There as been talk for years and years about refurbishing it. I actually know one of the Key people in the revitalization aspect of it. It won't happen. These will be my last words with you. You choose to wear rose colored glasses. I only the other hand don't wear glasses and can see what's going on perfectly. When reality hits you, then and only then you will see what Laconia has begun and continuing to be. Try to have a wonderful day.
Wow...I for one am thoroughly confused by this. Why be so cryptic - tell us what you really think.
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #71
djmikeb

Wow Hosmer is even scarier than I thought after looking at his Twitter feed. Him and I have no where near the same values or vision not only for Laconia but for America!! It is time to put Peter Spanos in the Mayor's office!!!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #72
WinnisquamZ

He was the ward 6 liberal rep and will be the tie breaker on a few issues. Those that think the Mayors position has little power need to look again

Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #73
map

Being I am not living up there yet (still waiting for house to be finished) I probably shouldn't comment but I will.

Laconia to me has a lot of potential. It reminds me of Newburgh, NY in my neck of the woods. Newburgh used to be awesome back in the old days but as the riff raff began to invade it- drugs, prostitution, crime, etc. - it went way down hill. Welfare city with quite a lot of poverty. Illegal immigrants everywhere. Some homeless people. Over the years a lot has been done to try to reverse it. Nice restaurants on the waterfront, breweries, some renovations of older homes, new businesses coming in. Some long time businesses hanging in there.

Hospital went through a massive renovation years ago to address the fact that people did not want to go downtown out of fear. They built a huge parking garage and so forth as well. Merged with a NYC hospital to improve it's reputation and survive the health care environment.

But- with the riff raff still hanging around it puts a limit on how much can be fixed. To this day, I try to avoid going there as much as possible for fear of being a crime victim. I don't like to even drive through it.

I asked our son about the current WOW trail as I would like to use it for exercise once up there. He said there are parts that are sketchy to walk through. Feels it is safer on a bike (of which we do not have). Other parts he says are ok.

Just don't write off Laconia as of yet.

Last edited by map; 10-13-2019 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Additions
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #74
stingray

My wife and I invested in a second home in Laconia a few years ago with a goal of making it a retirement home.

We often discuss the huge missing potential we see with the city and the missing leadership that must have enabled this situation.

Why hasn’t the city leveraged its most precious natural resource when compared to Meredith, Wolfeboro, Alton, Center Harbor? Laconia resides over so much more water.

Lakeport and the east side of Paugus Bay is an incredible missed opportunity. Just think of what the area would transform into if every commercial property had provided public boat access and the WOW trail extended up the east side to the Weirs and into Gilford.

The real estate in the Lakeport area would improve so much that the welfare seekers would either join the growth or move on to the next depressed area.

We will never totally eliminate homelessness, drug addicts, sex offenders; but, why enable a safe haven for them to thrive and recycle the next generation?

stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stingray For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (10-14-2019), Top-Water (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #75
djmikeb

The WOW trail is a huge waste of tax dollars and it will never bring in the money our tax dollars are wasting on it!! If the WOW trail would or could be used for ATv/snowmobiles this would help supplement the money being spent on it! Sorry bicycles and walking will never help pay for this and why dont6the taxpayers have a say?? I see so many up I arms about a trail that is costing a fortune and will never do anything for the good of the community except cost the taxpayers

Sent from my SM-G975U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #76
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
Being I am not living up there yet (still waiting for house to be finished) I probably shouldn't comment but I will.

Laconia to me has a lot of potential. It reminds me of Newburgh, NY in my neck of the woods. Newburgh used to be awesome back in the old days but as the riff raff began to invade it- drugs, prostitution, crime, etc. - it went way down hill. Welfare city with quite a lot of poverty. Illegal immigrants everywhere. Some homeless people. Over the years a lot has been done to try to reverse it. Nice restaurants on the waterfront, breweries, some renovations of older homes, new businesses coming in. Some long time businesses hanging in there.

Hospital went through a massive renovation years ago to address the fact that people did not want to go downtown out of fear. They built a huge parking garage and so forth as well. Merged with a NYC hospital to improve it's reputation and survive the health care environment.

But- with the riff raff still hanging around it puts a limit on how much can be fixed. To this day, I try to avoid going there as much as possible for fear of being a crime victim. I don't like to even drive through it.

I asked our son about the current WOW trail as I would like to use it for exercise once up there. He said there are parts that are sketchy to walk through. Feels it is safer on a bike (of which we do not have). Other parts he says are ok.

Just don't write off Laconia as of yet.

Not trying to be rude so sorry if the tone comes off wrong, but your comment provides nothing but further evidence to write off Laconia. You stated Newburgh was like Laconia, once bustling and a vibrant place to be back in the day. Newburgh fell apart with poverty, drug attics, illegal immigrants, crime etc. A ton of money was sunk into its revitalization (where that money came from is irrelevant), new restaurant's, new businesses, new hospital etc and it is still a dump that you don't even want to drive through.... But we think Laconia has a shot and shouldn't be written off yet?

So doing all of that is going to do what for the city of Laconia if we don't solve the actual root cause problem? Nothing.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #77
WinnisquamZ

In a small way you are correct. We must stop throwing money at what we precede to be the problem and identity one issue that that can be fixed, fix it and move on to the next. But, you can never get multiple individuals to agree on what the first issue is, they always want to fix everything at once. Today, the first issue would be complete the major roadwork the entire city appears to be under. The Police and Fire appear to be well funded. The DPW could use a look at.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #78
Major

Quote:
In a small way you are correct. We must stop throwing money at what we precede to be the problem and identity one issue that that can be fixed, fix it and move on to the next. But, you can never get multiple individuals to agree on what the first issue is, they always want to fix everything at once. Today, the first issue would be complete the major roadwork the entire city appears to be under. The Police and Fire appear to be well funded. The DPW could use a look at.

Laconia's leaders made the problem worse. It decided to pursue the short-term money created by greenlighting Section 8 housing projects and drug rehab centers on every corner. We are actually attracting the drug addicts to come here, above and beyond what a normal community would have to deal with. The quality of a community is defined by the quality of individuals that inhabit it.

Given this backdrop, Laconia is not worth investing in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
macbeth (10-14-2019), pondguy (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #79
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
Not trying to be rude so sorry if the tone comes off wrong, but your comment provides nothing but further evidence to write off Laconia. You stated Newburgh was like Laconia, once bustling and a vibrant place to be back in the day. Newburgh fell apart with poverty, drug attics, illegal immigrants, crime etc. A ton of money was sunk into its revitalization (where that money came from is irrelevant), new restaurant's, new businesses, new hospital etc and it is still a dump that you don't even want to drive through.... But we think Laconia has a shot and shouldn't be written off yet?

So doing all of that is going to do what for the city of Laconia if we don't solve the actual root cause problem? Nothing.
I guess my post did not come off the way I wanted it to. I too agree the root of the problem has to be dealt with as opposed to trying to work around it. I did not mean to imply that what was done in Newburgh should be done in Laconia, but as an example to learn from.

The thought process for Newburgh (and other cities like it) is always build it and they will come. That is only true to a certain extent. Nothing wrong with these improvements but the underlying problems still need to be dealt with.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #80
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
... the underlying problems still need to be dealt with.
Indeed.

How to get people to care, to be engaged in what goes on around them, to give a good damn about their surroundings and themselves?

People do drugs for different reasons, but one big reason is a lack of belief in themselves.

People are social creatures, generally we want to belong.

Many of the poor, the chronically unemployed, and those from chaotic broken homes soon conclude that they haven't any value to give to the world around them, that there's nothing here for them to do that is worth anything, and that they are worthless..

It's the same dynamic that causes generations of blacks in the ghetto to fail, to attack their own and those around them: if you're told over and over that you're no good you soon come to believe it and conclude "Why bother?"
Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #81
WinnisquamZ

Read a letter wrote to the LDS in yesterday’s paper that identified Andrew Hosmer as a supporter of Laconia becoming a sanctuary city! Enough said

Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #82
Wifi-1

Quote:
Read a letter wrote to the LDS in yesterday’s paper that identified Andrew Hosmer as a supporter of Laconia becoming a sanctuary city! Enough said

These guys are s-i-c-k
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #83
WinnisquamZ

Good article in tomorrow’s LDS on both individuals

Old 10-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #84
Major

Default Peter Spanos for Mayor!

Peter Spanos encapsulated what I have been trying to say recently in the following statement about Laconia --

“Laconians have very grave concerns about what goes on here in the city, particularly after dark,” Spanos said. “The fact that there is drug dealing, the fact that there is criminal activity, the fact that people feel like maybe they shouldn’t be outspoken in addressing these issues, I think that points us in the wrong direction. I think that creates the possibility where we accept that as a new norm, something that is wrong here in 2019 when it doesn’t have to be."

I too am concerned about the "new norm." As a community, we've not only tolerated this behavior but encouraged it by attracting drug addicts (and presumably drug sellers) to our city.
joey2665 (10-23-2019), macbeth (10-23-2019), WinnisquamZ (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #85
macbeth

Quote:
Peter Spanos encapsulated what I have been trying to say recently in the following statement about Laconia --

“Laconians have very grave concerns about what goes on here in the city, particularly after dark,” Spanos said. “The fact that there is drug dealing, the fact that there is criminal activity, the fact that people feel like maybe they shouldn’t be outspoken in addressing these issues, I think that points us in the wrong direction. I think that creates the possibility where we accept that as a new norm, something that is wrong here in 2019 when it doesn’t have to be."

I too am concerned about the "new norm." As a community, we've not only tolerated this behavior but encouraged it by attracting drug addicts (and presumably drug sellers) to our city.
And the Blinders are starting to come of.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:12 PM   #86
Major

Looks like Hosmer won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #87
TiltonBB

Hosmer by about 300 votes

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...448ea0316.html
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #88
fatlazyless

Mayor of Laconia

Andrew Hosmer - 1767 votes ....... 54%

Peter Spanos - 1478 votes ............46%

... from the LaDaSun

What's the latest on making Laconia a NH sports betting-lottery town?

Where do I go to place a ten dollar bet in Laconia for Serena Williams to win the Australian Tennis Open final in January?

Laconia voted YES to NH Lottery - sports betting

YES-1561 ................. 51%

NO-1480 ................... 49%

...... from WMUR

So, will Laconia be getting one of up to the ten state wide NH state 'sports betting' locations, aka a betting parlor or betting joint, and where will it be in Laconia?

And, isn't this just another way for people to lose their money, like the daily number, and the scratch ticket?

By not playing the NH lottery, you come out a winner ....... is how I look at it!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-06-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #89
WinnisquamZ

Much larger turnout then expected. Does anyone know if the count includes early voting numbers?

Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #90
macbeth

The word on the street was a very busy Absentee Vote. Hmm!! Could it be? No, The newly elected mayor would never do anything Illegal.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #91
fatlazyless

Talking ...... shame-shame-shame!

Quote:
The word on the street was a very busy Absentee Vote. Hmm!! Could it be? No, The newly elected mayor would never do anything Illegal.
Late last month, on Halloween day, tour buses from New Jersey transported NJ-tourists to supposedly take in the Mount Washington cruise, while in reality these buses surreptitiously took 90 and 100 year old gray-hairs to cast highly illegal absentee ballots in the upcoming election for Mayor of Laconia ...... shame-shame-shame ....... ..... was a very Halloween spookie day .... boo-hoo-hoo

The real big question that is now before us, front and center: where-o-where in Laconia will the State Lottery be opening a sports betting parlor? Will it get installed within a quiet aisle in the Laconia state liquor store, say in the aisle with the wines imported from far away California, or where???

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-06-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #92
brk-lnt

Quote:
That would be almost as bad as baseless gossip in an online forum!
Biggd (11-06-2019), joey2665 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #93
ApS

Question Ballot Not Presented in Time...

Quote:
"Count every ballot!"

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #94
tbonies

Quote:
Voted for the loser did you?
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #95
TiltonBB

Quote:
The real big question that is now before us, front and center: where-o-where in Laconia will the State Lottery be opening a sports betting parlor? Will it get installed within a quiet aisle in the Laconia state liquor store, say in the aisle with the wines imported from far away California, or where???
Did you forget to take your medications again? Laconia does not have a State Liquor Store.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (11-06-2019), Top-Water (11-06-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #96
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Did you forget to take your medications again? Laconia does not have a State Liquor Store.
I was unaware, and just assumed Laconia has a state liquor store, because Belmont, Gilford, and Meredith all have state liquor stores, plus the very big one at Exit 23 in New Hampton. NH has 77 conveniently located state liquor stores, all across the state, making state liquor the biggest interface between the state and the people, in this small state.

Walmart has 30 big stores across NH, and Walmart does not sell any NH lottery ticket items .... hurray for Walmart-NH.

You know where the former Good Will store location was in Laconia, down town? Isn't that now a very large, vacant commercial space? Maybe that could be a good spot for a large Laconia sports betting venue ...... and at a very low rent?

From a hardware store to Good Will to NH sports betting ....... helloooo Laconia!

Wonder if the five city councilors, the city manager, and the city mayor in Laconia have any input to the state lottery about a sports betting store in Laconia ..... probably not ..... because it got voted yes?

The Town of Plymouth has a totally perfect vacant commercial space, on Main St between the bank and the hardware, in what used to be a large college oriented book store, plus someone recently re-did the floor, walls, and lighting with high quality results ...... and, it is once again, vacant.

Will the Town of Plymouth be voting yes or no to NH sports betting in March, 2020?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-08-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #97
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
Voted for the loser did you?
The citizens of Laconia lost. With Spanos and Baer losing, there is no governor to question the spare-no-expense councilors, and Spanos was the only candidate to question Laconia's unusual investment in low income housing.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #98
WinnisquamZ

It will be interesting as we move forward. Sad to say our election went the way most of the other state wide local elections

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-26-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #99
WinnisquamZ

Default Election for Mayor of Laconia

The GOP in NH, by all recent elections, appear to be a afterthought. We are no longer Red State, Purple at best, but now blue. Limited direction from the state GOP leaders and in fighting of which candidate to support led to this. New leadership is needed, where it comes from is unknown

Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #100
fatlazyless

Default ...... 918 Weirs Blvd-on Paugus Bay

Here's a 4-minute recorded interview with Mayor elect Andrew Hosmer from Nov 6:

https://www.nhpr.org/post/laconia-ma...using#stream/0

Where Laconia really wants to focus is turning that 918 Weirs Blvd parcel of city land, on Paugus Bay, into a hand carry boat launch for kayaks, canoes, and stand up paddle boards.

If you all want Mayor Hosmer to make 918 Weirs Blvd into a kayak launch ….. then raise your paddle up high, and wave it all around ……. so everyone can see it!

Thank-you very much!

...... dang-it, cannot get this 4:26 question and answer, NHPR and Mayor elect Andrew Hosmer link, to work, so's maybe someone with better skills can make it happen ..... a Nov 6, day after the election, interview, with Laconia's newly elected mayor ..... thanks in advance!

.......or, google 'NHPR: Andrew Hosmer' and you will probably have a November 6, 4-minute, 26-second conversation from NHPR-All Things Considered with Mayor elect Andrew Hosmer.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-08-2019 at 06:22 PM.