Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Thanksgiving trip

Need some feedback about traffic conditions for my Thanksgiving getaway to visit family. Will be traveling from Central Mass. to Philly.

Trip will start in Central Mass. We plan to leave around 6:00am on Wed. morning 11/27. With some luck we should fly through Hartford CT before work traffic.

Plan on taking the Merritt Pkway (Rt15) as usual from CT to NY, then over the Tappen Zee Bridge then jumping on the Garden State Pkway NY thru NJ.

Any major road construction I need to be aware of along the way ?

Return trip will be back to Winnie !

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
ghfromaltonbay

Default No major roadwork

The route you use (Merritt, Tappan Zee to Garden State Parkway) is the same as I take from NH to northern NJ. You should have clear sailing without any construction using those roads. Good to stay away from the GW Bridge and 95 as there has been both planned and emergency construction this past month. Last week there were 90 minute delays heading into NY on the GW Bridge as a 2 foot square of the upper deck crumbled. So glad I no longer have to commute to work. Have a safe trip!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
bigdog (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
beagle

Default You can check these websites

MA: https://mass511.com/
CT: http://www.dotdata.ct.gov/iti/master_iti.html
NY: http://www.511ny.org/mapview.aspx?1385410617909
NJ: http://511nj.org/trafficmap.aspx
PA: http://www.511pa.com/Traffic.aspx

I have them bookmarked on my computer and use them all for travel to the lake or out to visit kids at college.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
KDL

On a normal work day we leave central MA by 5:00 am to miss most of the Hartford traffic. Not sure what you'll run into so close to the holiday. Good luck.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
Winnigirl

Looks like I'm too late, but you should buy the app Waze to help with your travels. It has saved me so much time by being able to spot accidents and traffic jams in advance (and police). It does take a lot out of your phone battery though, so if you can keep your phone charging in the car, that's ideal.
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
ghfromaltonbay

Default All news radio stations

When I travel between NJ and NH I start out listening to CBS radio (880 AM) from NYC which gives traffic and weather every 10 minutes on the 8's. The traffic report covers the NY/NJ area and usually gives conditions in southern CT including 95 and the Merritt. Once I get above Hartford I switch to WBZ (1030 AM) and that provides traffic and weather on the 3's. WBZ gives conditions from the Mass Pike & 495 up to the NH line for 3 and 93.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl View Post
Looks like I'm too late, but you should buy the app Waze to help with your travels. It has saved me so much time by being able to spot accidents and traffic jams in advance (and police). It does take a lot out of your phone battery though, so if you can keep your phone charging in the car, that's ideal.
Waze is unmatched for a modern travel app, been using it for a while and it beats any radio reports or other info.
fugitivewife (12-08-2013), Winnigirl (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
bigdog

Default Thanksgiving trip

Well what a trip !

We left central Mass. around 5:30am in light rain.
By the time we got on I-84 in CT, the rain started to pickup quite heavy, almost blinding in the early morning darkness.

Entering into Hartford we had to make a decision to go I-91 down to pickup the Merritt Pkway or stay on I-84W to I-684 to reach White Plains NY. The rain by this time was coming down like a Florida thunderstorm, and it was still fairly dark out, making the driving horrific ! My hands were gripping the steering-wheel like vise-grips !

Knowing how the Merritt can be a real challenge and down-right dangerous in inclement weather,we decided to stay on the main I-84W interstate. A very wise decision on our part, as the driving rain pelted us heavily all the way on I-84/684 to the until Tappen Zee bridge.

No major delays, until we go on the NJ turnpike around Newark-Elizabeth NJ, car accident that tied traffic up for about half and hour.

Other than that, was clear sailing rest of way, and further South we traveled the rain seemed to let up and finally stop in PA.

Will be traveling back to MASS/NH Sunday, will probably take the Merritt Pkway in CT if the weather co-operates.

Thanks everyone for all the great travel links, will save for future use.

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
MeredithMan

Default Thanksgiving Travel...Stay Patient; Stay Safe

So unfortunately Mrs. MeredithMan had to leave home this afternoon, (southwestern CT), to be in the Boston 'burbs for work for very early tomorrow AM. Normally, this is a 2 1/2 hour ride. So far, she is up to 4 hours and just getting on the Mass Pike. 4 hours just to go up Rte 84!!! If you or your family members are out in this mess, stay patient and stay safe.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote