Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2020, 06:38 AM   #1
hemlock

Default Lake childhood memories

I wonder if anyone would like to share their Lake childhood memories?

I remember being 5 years old (in 1963) and my grandfather and grandmother
took us tent camping at Camp Iroquois on the lake. My grandfather had built a kitchen box out of plywood that folded out and had a little coleman gas stove and all the cooking implements. If it rained they told us not to touch the canvas or the tent would leak.

The Camp Iroquois beach had a layer of clay under it if you dug down that you could make things out of.

One evening I saw a gas lantern on fire on the beach and I yelled out. Every one rushed over and threw sand on it and put it out. They said I saved the day!
I can remember feeling very proud.
hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hemlock For This Useful Post:
coltgov101 (02-19-2020), iroquois girl (04-13-2020), TCC (02-19-2020), thinkxingu (02-20-2020), ursa minor (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

There are so many but I guess most would be fishing with my father every weekend rain or shine and our yearly two week rental at the "Chanticleer" in Gilford. Special memories for sure!!

Dan
thinkxingu (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Living on the boat

My family had a 1950 Chris Craft Cruiser that we lived on, mostly weekends, home ported at Welch Island, but when it was too windy we hooked onto a mooring at Mark Island. In those days you could just install a mooring anyplace. We stayed overnight at the Weirs, Meredith, Center Harbor and Wolfeboro. My father loved to explore the lake. We rented an outboard from Goodhue Boat Yard to explore the Forties. $1/hr. We climbed Rattlesnake several times from different sides. Once, my mother nosed the cruiser up to the steep ledge facing the broads. Dad and I stepped off, and climbed while she circled below. There was a measured mile on that side of Rattlesnake island that was also marked on the charts. Prior to 1960, everything on Welch ran on propane. For running water, many had an elevated tank filled by a pump, and then gravity to the fixtures. The path around the perimeter of Welch Island went in front of all the camps and there was more interaction (and fewer camps) After 1960, the power line became the primary path, behind the camps, less random interaction, but island friends have unique relationships, particularly sharing DIY skills, tools and spare parts.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Diana (02-19-2020), thinkxingu (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Several

I first came to the lake at Lake Shore Park, then my folks got a place in Two Pines Trailer Park in Glendale across from Lyon's Den (then Dorothy's). Swimming and diving off the docks. And I went to Camp Lawrence for four summers. Learned to swim (better), row, paddle, and sail; and catch snipe .
Being in and around the lake was a major part of my growing up.

Dave
thinkxingu (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
dickiej

.....rowing all the way from Peggy's Cove to the bandstand in Alton Bay....roller skating with Sandy from Sommerville.....first girl I ever kissed.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (02-20-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #6
coltgov101

Default Memories

As a youngster we used to swim down to the end of sachem cove. The water was deep and we were all proud that we were such good swimmers. One area was a little rocky and had water lilies all around. I remember these tiny little frogs that sat on the lilies, they were so small they used the lilies like life rafts. They were colored the exact same green as the water lilies and so tiny and fast they were absolutely fascinating. The lake was so pristine in those days the aquatic life was everywhere. Crayfish were everywhere, sometimes you had to be careful where you stepped! In the 1950's Winnie was so different than it is today.
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
Aunt Lula

We spent our summers on Loon Island on Lake Wentworth. Learned to swim at age 3-4. Spend endless hours with my sister catching crawfish and minnows. Swimming every day, rain or shine. Canoeing around the Seven Sisters and Stamp Act Islands. One summer our goal was to swim around Stamp Act Island which we did several times with an inner tube in case we got tired. I can still smell those big black inner tubes! Listening for the loons at night. Frequent trips into Wolfeboro for groceries and of course ice cream!
Old 02-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
Mr. V

Spent a couple weeks every summer at our camp at Lake Shore Park.

Loved the sandy beach, and playing the juke box at the pavilion.

Disliked having to walk to the pavilion in the morning to fill a water jug from the old-timey pump to get our drinking water.

Hated going to the bathroon in the "pazoozie:" stand alone common toilets filled with spiders and peep holes in the walls.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
Andromeda321

Franken Sundae where Town Docks is today with its make your own sundae bar. We went once a year and I loved that place so much I literally wrote my "how I spent my summer vacation" essay about it more than once.

We were on Blackeys Cove from when I was about 10, about a mile from Center Harbor, so it was a huge summer thing that I could bike into town! (Grew up in a nice corner of suburbia where you couldn't go anywhere sans car, so this was a special bit of freedom.) I would bike every morning to Robinson's General Store to buy a newspaper for my parents and a muffin for myself for breakfast. Reading the headlines about the Monica Lewinsky trial remain in my mind so I guess that tells people how old I am. Bayswatter Books also had a weekly "book club" Wednesday mornings in summer for kids, so we'd head over for that. No Internet at the lake, but you could reserve an hour of Internet on the days the Center Harbor library was open, so that was a lot of high school.

There was an awful noisy boat one year on Blackeys where the guy basically gutted the muffler and was noisy to annoy everyone, but was smart enough to only joyride a few minutes so he'd be off the lake by the time the Marine Patrol showed up. The day they finally caught him you could hear everyone cheering all around the cove. Solidarity!
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andromeda321 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Define: timing.

My father is currently in ICU with failing health. He is not long for this world. Sometime last week, he had an unusually good evening, so I spent it picking his brain about the most important woman in my life, who passed away in 2014, less than one year after finally buying their summer camp. The story he told me changed how I will reflect upon Winnipesaukee for the rest of my life. Here goes: a Weirs Beach tale in two parts.

Part 1: My Youth
For most of my youth, my parents rented a home every summer on Baker Avenue in The Weirs. Though I was young—we stopped renting when I was around 10—I remember so many things about that time: the trading post with the giant Indian statue, where I would buy a bow with suction cup arrows; the arcade shooting game with the piano player and squawking bird; July 4th fireworks from the hotel porch in our pajamas; the crunchy donuts from the tiny convenience store under the pedestrian bridge; the roller rink upstairs; beeping to let other drivers we were driving over the bridge.

I could go on and on—amazing memories.

Part 2: My Father's Savior
I always knew my father's father was an abusive man. I remember once, while on our way to lunch, my pepe flicked his cigar out the window and the ash flew back in the back window, right into my brother's eye. After my brother began crying, Pepe turned around and told him to, "shut [his] god-damned mouth."

My father had 8 siblings, all of whom joined the circus or military or just moved far, far away. They were poor—my father didn't have hot water until he was 19—so there was nothing to keep them home.

As my father lay in his hospital bed, in tears borne of joyful memory, he told me how he met my mother while cruising around Lowell with a friend. After a few awful dates (another story, but in short: Dad was from the opposite side of the tracks), my mother and father began dating. Some months later, my mother's family was going away for a weekend at The Weirs and they invited my father. He was 19. It was his first weekend away from home.

My father credits that weekend in 1964—that's it, THAT weekend—with teaching him what a life should be: honest, kind, loving, sharing, sober. He told me about playing cards and laughing with my mother's family, cooking together, taking long walks, swimming—my father once almost drowned in a Lowell canal and hadn't gotten in the water since—in short, enjoying others' company rather than seeking every opportunity to escape.

As my father and I discussed the memories we each had—one of the beautiful things about a resort area that resists change is the ability for multiple generations to share the same experiences—I asked him where my mom's family had stayed that weekend he was "saved."

"Baker Avenue," he said. "I thought you knew?"

I discovered that night that the house that served as the backdrop of my young summers was the one in Dad's story of redemption all these years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
barndoor (06-14-2021), cominghome (03-03-2020), Descant (02-19-2020), Diana (02-19-2020), dippasan (04-15-2020), dykg (04-19-2020), hkephart (05-25-2020), Hubbard (06-28-2021), jbolty (02-19-2020), kawishiwi (02-19-2020), LakeTimes (05-24-2020), marinewife (02-23-2020), MeredithMan (02-20-2020), Misty Blue (04-16-2020), mneck1814 (04-16-2020), Moccasin (02-20-2020), Newbiesaukee (02-20-2020), Orion (02-26-2020), Senter Cove Guy (02-21-2020), upthesaukee (02-19-2020), ursa minor (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
ursa minor

Thinkxingu, so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom and your Dad’s failing health. That said, I’m really happy you got the chance to have that conversation with him and be able to share in the great memories. Hoping for the best for your Dad and your family.
thinkxingu (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 10:46 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Thinkxingu, so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom and your Dad’s failing health. That said, I’m really happy you got the chance to have that conversation with him and be able to share in the great memories. Hoping for the best for your Dad and your family.
Thanks, Ursa—I appreciate the sentiment.

Please, others, share your stories—I hope I didn't put a halt to the process, that wasn't my intention!

Old 02-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #13
hemlock

Default Making a dugout canoe

In the fall of 1965 my grandfather bought a lot on Cow and the following spring built a tent platform a dock and what we called the sundeck. In the following years friends and relatives from our town also bought lots in the same
(Barber pole) section of Cow. One of them cut a big Pine at the water front and I got the idea to make a dugout canoe from it. The neighbors helped to roll it into the water and I used our old Arkansas Traveler with the 10 horse Johnson on it to tow it to our place. My Grandfather and I used a rope block and tackle to haul it on shore. Over the next two summers with my grandfather making cuts with the chainsaw and me using the ax and a borrowed adze we shaped it into a canoe.

Finally the moment of truth came when we pushed it into the water and climbed in with our paddles. It promptly rolled over and dumped us in the water!
We then nailed an outrigger with empty clorox bottles on the end and were able to go for a ride.
It was never the most stable or fast craft but I learned with that project that if you get an idea or a vision you carry it out with a lot of hard work and help from others.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hemlock For This Useful Post:
Diana (02-20-2020), thinkxingu (02-20-2020), ursa minor (02-20-2020), VitaBene (04-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #14
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
In the fall of 1965 my grandfather bought a lot on Cow and the following spring built a tent platform a dock and what we called the sundeck. In the following years friends and relatives from our town also bought lots in the same
(Barber pole) section of Cow. One of them cut a big Pine at the water front and I got the idea to make a dugout canoe from it. The neighbors helped to roll it into the water and I used our old Arkansas Traveler with the 10 horse Johnson on it to tow it to our place. My Grandfather and I used a rope block and tackle to haul it on shore. Over the next two summers with my grandfather making cuts with the chainsaw and me using the ax and a borrowed adze we shaped it into a canoe.

Finally the moment of truth came when we pushed it into the water and climbed in with our paddles. It promptly rolled over and dumped us in the water!
We then nailed an outrigger with empty clorox bottles on the end and were able to go for a ride.
It was never the most stable or fast craft but I learned with that project that if you get an idea or a vision you carry it out with a lot of hard work and help from others.
I may or may not have been one of the persons dumped into the water on the maiden voyage. I also remember doing a lot of fishing out of a very heavily built aluminum boat with a green 10 HP Johnson outboard. Blueberry pies made with island blueberries come to mind as well!
KPW (02-20-2020), thinkxingu (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:

How many lots were occupied in that area of Cow at that time? I am thinking that might be 10 years after the first lot was sold there??
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #16
ursa minor

Since I've mostly blown my cover I might as well continue. My parents bought land on Cow Island in the fall of 1967. The real estate agent had a big wooden cabin cruiser so getting out to see the lot to buy it, no problem.

After buying the lot, we needed a boat. Full disclosure, my dad had never owned much less driven a boat but island property so boat. I remember touring a bunch of boat yards and we ended up at the old Lakeport Landing, I believe the owner at the time was named Jerry Hebert. My dad ended up buying a 16 foot Grady White Pamlico (are you reading Dave R? ) with a 50 HP black and white Mercury outboard so the boat and motor were probably 1960-62 vintage. It was blue with a white stripe at the top strake, copper bottom paint and bright mahogany decks, windshield, seats and transom. (I thought it was AWESOME!)

We ended up taking the boat for a test ride (I got to go) and being a wooden boat, there was some water in it. Jerry told my dad to drive straight and went back to pull the plug. At some point the boat started to speed up a little and I vividly remember seeing water below my feet and Jerry telling my dad to slow it back down. I'm probably 5 or so at this point and I have to say it's one of my more vivid early memories.

There's a prequel to what led up to my parents buying on Cow but I'm going to let some others have their memory moment now. Thanks Hemlock, great thread!
Old 02-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #17
KPW

I have five siblings. My grandparents would take us up 3 at a time. The "beach wagon" would be packed on Thursday night. My grandfather would pick us up at school so we didn't have to wait for the bus. We would head to the lake. We always looked for the tepee and the totem pole on the hill in Hooksett. We would never stop on the way. My grandmother always said, every stop is 20 minutes less time on the island. We all wanted to be the 1st one in Wolfeboro and would stick our foot as far forward as we could when we passed the Wolfeboro sign.

I remember picking blueberries with one of the neighbors. We did not have an oven. We brought the blueberries to my neighbors house and her grandmother made the best blueberry muffins I ever had.

We stayed in an old WWII kitchen army tent for the first few years. I used to think the patches on the tent were from bullet holes. After my grandfather passed, the neighbors decided they did not want to keep putting up the old tent. They made arrangements and got all the wood over to the island to surprise my grandmother with a new cabin. On the way over in the boat, I asked my grandmother what she liked better, a tent or a cabin. She said she preferred a tent. All the neighbors got together and built the cabin in a weekend. My grandmother was a daughter of the prohibition and did not allow alcohol at the camp. Years later, when we replaced the roof, we found NO BEER NO WORK written in big black letters on the roof.

My grandmother was famous for her sour milk donuts. We had some new neighbors that were camping in a small tent. It was pouring rain. She brought them fresh warm donuts and a pot of hot coffee. They will never forget that. One of our favorite dinners was simply spagettios and scrambled hamburger. We always had to wait a hour after lunch to go swimming.

My grandmother instilled the love of the island in me. The time I spent with her on the island was precious. To this day, there is no place on earth that I would rather be.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #18
Janet

From the time I was 4 years old and up through high school my family would travel from New Jersey to our rental on Pinnacle Park Road in Meredith for the month of August. Every morning we'd drive to Prescott Pharmacy in downtown Meredith to pick up the daily newspaper and treats for the day. My aunt and uncle owned a cottage just up the hill from our rental on Pinnacle Park so many days we'd swim and spend our day with our cousins. No power boat back then, just a very heavy rowboat. During those times we had the Key Theater, Samaha clothing store, Prescott Pharmacy and the A&P all in downtown Meredith. True's gift shop was on the corner of Rt 25 and Rt 3. The mill across the street was still a mill and not the shops that are there now. We also had Interlakes Dairy Bar where we'd go for their "Sissy Splits" and the deli where the Meredith Bank now sits had the best grinders. Sunday night we'd all go down to the Weirs for caramel popcorn and fireworks. We kids would always get excited waiting for the firework that contained a parachute that all the boats would try to catch. Loving the lakes region as much as we always have, my sister and her husband now rent in the Melvin Village area for the whole family to visit and enjoy. Lake Winni, Meredith, the Weirs and surrounding towns will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Last edited by Janet; 02-20-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #19
hemlock

Default occupied lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
How many lots were occupied in that area of Cow at that time? I am thinking that might be 10 years after the first lot was sold there??
These lots were sold by an outfit called Island Sales Corporation. The bulk of the lots on this non Idlewild side of Cow were sold by them. My grandfathers lot was one of two sold on Oct 14 1965. The other one was sold to the TV repair man who told my grandfather about the Island. To my knowledge they were the first.

There may have been other lots on that side of Cow owned or sold by others but that is what I know.
The plan of the lots is located in the Carroll County Registry of deeds as Plan book 7 Page 68.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
These lots were sold by an outfit called Island Sales Corporation. The bulk of the lots on this non Idlewild side of Cow were sold by them. My grandfathers lot was one of two sold on Oct 14 1965. The other one was sold to the TV repair man who told my grandfather about the Island. To my knowledge they were the first.

There may have been other lots on that side of Cow owned or sold by others but that is what I know.
The plan of the lots is located in the Carroll County Registry of deeds as Plan book 7 Page 68.
I am interested because a friend of the family supposedly bought the first lot on the Barber Pole side which you are talking about. He went out a few times in his little boat and camped out but then he was killed in an auto accident so he didn't own it very long. Other friends of ours had the little brown camp opposite Cow on Tuftonboro Neck and he put his little boat in there so he didn't have very far to go. I am pretty vague because I was so young. I just would love to piece it all together sometime. I don't know if this was before or during the Island Sales Corp. that you mentioned. I think his name was Barker.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #21
Barney Bear

Default Oscar Winners?

We have enjoyed many memorable experiences since buying our place on East Bear Island in 1967 [before we bought our first house].

One summer, we had twenty people and five dogs visiting at the same time as they all wanted to be there together. Fortunately, we had installed a new state-of-the-art septic system a few years before.

Of special note, our oldest grandniece produced movies, as a school project, while there using our family and guests as cast members. Our biggest production was "Gilligan's Island". Of course, I was the Captain. Our Scottish terriers appeared in roasting pots. Vacationers aboard the Sophie C were treated to a noisy greeting from the shore castaways' encampment as they passed by.

We are still waiting for our Oscar statuettes to be delivered. 🎭 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #22
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
We have enjoyed many memorable experiences since buying our place on East Bear Island in 1967 [before we bought our first house].

One summer, we had twenty people and five dogs visiting at the same time as they all wanted to be there together. Fortunately, we had installed a new state-of-the-art septic system a few years before.

Of special note, our oldest grandniece produced movies, as a school project, while there using our family and guests as cast members. Our biggest production was "Gilligan's Island". Of course, I was the Captain. Our Scottish terriers appeared in roasting pots. Vacationers aboard the Sophie C were treated to a noisy greeting from the shore castaways' encampment as they passed by.

We are still waiting for our Oscar statuettes to be delivered. 🎭 🐻
Great story!
I hope you get the chocolate/gold covered statuette(s)! It sounds like you expect to win in more than one category!

What was the year your grandniece filmed her movie? Was she a high school student (I'm thinking what type of medium)? Even very young students, today, can do amazing things with video!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #23
8gv

I can barely remember this and a few details were filled in much later by my now deceased mother.

After finishing third grade I was told that our family was going to Mt Washington and Lake Winnipesaukee for a week that summer.

I had a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle of a beautiful snow capped mountain reflecting in a small pond.

Somehow this became my expectation for our vacation.

We arrived after dark at a small rental cabin above the Weirs.

In the morning I got my first glimpse of the lake.

It looked very different than my puzzle!

We headed up to the Mt Washington cog railway for a ride to the summit that terrified my mom.

Upon our return to our cabin my mom declared that her tooth hurt really bad.

Apparently it was abscessed and for some reason a dentist was not consulted.

Then it started raining, a lot, so we went home the next day.

Fortunately, on the advice of an employee, my wife and I gave the area another try in 2003.

We now live here full time!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #24
Barney Bear

Default Hollywood East

Our grandniece was in college in the mid-west. I believe that our summers of stardom were in the early 21st Century. She used a video camera, and gave the actors copies on CD's. What a fun time we all had!!! 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #25
MeredithMan

The Lake has been an important part of my family's life, and it all began on Labor Day Weekend, 1973. We went away for the weekend and ended up at The MaryKay Cottage on the shores of LSP. I was just a 12 year old boy at the time, but it is probably one of the best childhood memories I have...playing ball in the water with my parents, a folk mass on Saturday evening in The Pavillion, and some older gent at the cottage next to The MaryKay who talked my father's ear off and began every sentence with, "Well anywho...."

The MaryKay was for sale at the time, I believe for $5,000.00. My parents were very tempted, but as I remember, you could only buy the cottage and not the land....not sure if that is accurate or not, but that is what I remember my parents saying. As a result, they didn't buy it, but eventually did find a place that brought them great joy the rest of their lives.

Now, as an adult with my own kids, the lake is our home-away-from-home and we owe it all to that weekend at LSP and the MaryKay cottage.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:53 AM   #26
hemlock

Default Sailing

There was all kinds of fun to be had when we were kids on Cow. To start with exploring and building forts. The 1938 hurricane had knocked down many large pines on the Island that were never salvaged. We used to make leantos beside them. We used to walk along the electric lines and pick up short pieces of wire
nuts bolts and screws that the linemen had dropped.

When we were old enough to use the boat on our own we would go to Orchard cove and pull up at the isthmus and walk to the other side to swim and dive. Sometimes we would anchor there and dive for mussels on the sandy bottom.

I remember people saying the Mt Washington sheltered in Orchard cove during the 1938 Hurricane.

We once rigged up a mast on the old Arkansas Traveler aluminum boat with a
mast and went sailing. It went so slow we wrote letters on the sail saying "The Turtle"
The Following User Says Thank You to hemlock For This Useful Post:
KPW (02-24-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #27
iroquois girl

Default camp iroquios

my family had a permenant site for 10+ years........our last summer was the summer of '69 ..(i was 16)....loved spending summers there! mary! the rec hall.....the beach....going to center harbor......would love to hear from anyone there during that time......
iroquois girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #28
Senter Cove Guy

Default Early Lake Memory - True Story

I spent the summer time in Lanes End Camp from 1951 - 1965. There were a number of us that were there all summer and there were lots of other kids our age who would come and spend a week or two of vacation with their parents.

Before the Lanes End Marina was built, that end of the pine grove ended in a rocky point looking south over Melvin Bay. It was common for couples/groups to spend some quiet time out there. One late night, a good friend and I decided to climb out onto the rocks and sit and talk. On the way out there, one of us slipped and cut a finger making it bleed. After sitting there and talking for awhile, I asked her if she wanted to become blood brother and blood sister. She said yes. Whoever was the person not already bleeding used a sharp object to pierce their finger and we joined our bloody fingers in blood brotherhood/sisterhood. True story.

Her older brother and I are also friends. He was actually one of the 2 people I knew who had scuba dived in the early 1960's to look for the sunken car that I found several hundred yards off the rocky point in 2004. I called him shortly after finding the car and invited him to dive the car with me in October 2004 which we did.
ApS (04-15-2020), Grant (04-15-2020), thinkxingu (04-15-2020), Top-Water (04-14-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #29
Grant

My family had a place in Melvin Village, just south of the old Wawbeek, from 1945 to 2012. So I spent every summer from birth (1961) until the day before the property changed hands (10/8/12) right there.

As kids, my cousin (same age) and I would spend hours harvesting mussels from the sands around our dock, then making hand lines to lure and catch hornpout from under the dock using the mussels. When we had any decent-sized ones, our grandmother would cook them up for us for breakfast. Over the years, the same held true for and yellow perch or smallmouth bass we would land. We'd spend hours snorkeling along the shore, pulling up rocks to find crayfish, helgremites, leeches, and countless other creatures.

The attached photo is from '66 or '67.
Attached Images

ApS (04-15-2020), farechofisherman (04-15-2020), harbor guy (04-19-2020), Senter Cove Guy (04-15-2020), Tallyho (04-21-2020), Top-Water (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #30
dippasan

Default Great days past and hopefully ahead

I grew up in Melrose Mass. and lived there until 1986 when I was 24 which is when I got hired with the company I'm still with now and moved to Hooksett.

Being from Mass, my family vacationed in Brewster (Cape Cod) every summer which provided another whole set of countless memories.

When I was 19, lightning struck and I began dating a girl that lived next to my best friend. Her parents, (Paul and Helen), her uncles and family friends all vacationed in Laconia (Hilliard Road) every summer, and they were big into motorcycling.
They invited me to come up for Motorcycle weekend and because I loved dirt biking and motorcycles also...I couldn't say yes fast enough. That was my first exposure to Winnipesaukee and Weirs Beach.
Yup...Bike weekend was my intro and it was madness and wonderful at 19.

Kellerhaus, Brickyard Ski Area, Jade Island Chinese Restaurant, Gunstock, The Weirs strip and believe it or not...jumping off the Weirs Bridge, and so many more memories, are all etched in my brain from that time and the years that followed.

I woke up early that Sunday morning of my first Bike Weekend, got in my 66 Mustang coupe (paid $300 for it) said goodbye to my girlfriend and made the long drive from Hilliard Road to Brewster Cape Cod to spend time with my family who were vacationing. To this day when I hear the song "South City Midnight Lady by the Doobie Brothers, I'm teleported back to the front seat of my Mustang to that beautiful June morning drive from Laconia to the Cape thinking about my new girlfriend (Wife now) and Winnipesaukee the whoooooole way.

My wifes parents (RIP) eventually built a house and lived in Blackey Cove year round where we vacationed often and created countless memories as we raised our 3 boys.

We now have a camp on Sleepers Island. We cherish every moment and memory that we create and share with family and friends all with Lake Winnipesaukees help!

Thanks for reading. I enjoyed the reflection.
ApS (04-15-2020), thinkxingu (04-15-2020), Top-Water (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #31
thinkxingu

Love these last few stories. I especially appreciate the song on that June morning.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
dippasan (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #32
4 for Boating

My Mom always brought us up to the lakes region every summer. We would be camping in tents at Gunstock (Alpine Slide). Never/ever caught one single fish in that pond they told us had loads of trout!!! Then added a canoe to the top of our light blue station wagon. We would launch it right in the Weirs Channel on the property that little miniature golf course is on now. KellerHaus on some occasions, Franken Sundae on others for Ice Cream.

Later my uncle purchased a home in Campton and had a small bow-rider at Thurston’s. He would also drive us over to Paugus bay (after us asking him a million times) so we could rent stand-up jet skis from the operator there and “try” to stand without falling - for hours. We would go every summer and as soon as I was old enough to drive the boat, he would let me and my then girlfriend (now wife) and my brother and his wife take the boat out whenever we asked. While we spun around that side of the lake, we always ended up going over to one place where we could fish and swim out of the main traffic pattern. I remember taking a ride in the Sea Plane down by the Margate (sp) Going into the gift shop across from the Naswa with the slanted floor...

Cut to today and me and my wife now have a home that can view the exact same area we used to frequent – just strangely worked out that way. I remember back then looking at the homes on the shoreline and thinking > imagine if we lived there or lived in that one…. Now we bring our own kids up (skiing too) and in addition each year have a family week where my Mother can come with all my Sisters/Brothers and their children can stay and enjoy the lake and surroundings. (It’s crowded but that’s part of the fun) We still go to Kellerhaus and toss in a family go-kart race – although that has gotten to be more or a demolition derby as the kids get older and more aggressive.

We feel very fortunate to be part of it all
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #33
TheProfessor

Lake Winnipesaukee.

Our camp was a 2 story.
Built on dirt road with no electricity nor telephone.
Each board was cut by hand.
The windows and doors were used and came from the town of Hill, New Hampshire. The town that was flooded by the Corps of Engineers. The whole town of Hill, NH was built new from scratch in it's current location on higher ground.

Cooking on the wood Franklin Stove.
Getting ice for the ice box.

No car during the week.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
dippasan (04-17-2020), Top-Water (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #34
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
The Town of Hill, NH a very interesting story about how they moved the town.
Yes. The town of Hill, New Hampshire is a tidbit of NH history that few know of the story.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #35
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Terrace Hill

1892 Fishing camp that was built next to the Lake Shore Railroad. In the days the road was dirt mixed with old oil to keep the dust down. No utilities. There was a propane refrigerator, toilet, kitchen stove. There was a propane generator we used for water and lights. We had a Franklin stove for heat.

We could walk down the old railroad bed to Lake Shore Park and Glendale. The other way we could walk down to the Wise Owl. We were told we could walk to Alton. We never did. This would have been an excellent rail trail today!

We had a wooden kayak with waterproof canvas cover. It was heavy! My dad had a Lightning class sailboat that he would race at WYC. It was fun learning how to sail! We also had a Century Resorter. Great for water skiing! It was fun boat to water ski behind. When it was rough on The Broads, we would ski out front of Ames Farm.

We would take the Resorter out to Long Island Beach where we would hang out with friends on the back side and waterski. Once my dad waterski from the beach to Gilford. He did it but he did not do it again!

One time I tried to kayak to Diamond Island. I wore myself out! No cell phone coverage then, so I had to float until I can flag a boat! During the week there was very little traffic on the lake (60's).

We use to walk to Lake Shore Park and 'hang out' with the kids there. I attended my first 'teen dance' at the Pavilion. I felt like an adult! I had my first kiss there! I will leave it at that as we are FB friends. LOL!

One of the kids at LSP had a 13' Boston Whaler with a 25HP motor. I fell in love with that boat!. I convince dad I wanted my own boat, so he got a 13' BW with a 70HP 'rude! Man, that flies! Lucky I'm still alive!

I could go on and on!
Old 04-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #36
mneck1814

As the 8th generation of our family to occupy the same house on Moultonboro Neck, summers at the lake are a way to feel connected to family history and people like my grandfather, who died 10 years before I was born.

My grandmother and my mom reminisced about grandpa more at the lake than they did else where, most likely because it holds so many of their fondest memories of him. So as someone who didn't get to know my grandfather in person, the lake was where I got to know him. We still owned his boat until I was a teenager and we enjoyed exploring all the same places he had showed my mom when she was a kid. The same places he explored as a child when he would make the trek up from NYC with his parents to visit his dad's childhood home. The boat may be newer now, but it is still fun to explore the same places.

A picture below of my Grandpa in 1927 playing in the water on Long Island where the boat launch is now.
Attached Images

Last edited by mneck1814; 04-16-2020 at 02:39 PM.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mneck1814 For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (04-16-2020), BroadHopper (04-17-2020), dippasan (04-17-2020), farechofisherman (04-16-2020), Grant (04-20-2020), Irish mist (04-16-2020), Jdarby (06-03-2020), Tallyho (05-23-2020), TheRoBoat (04-16-2020), thinkxingu (04-16-2020), VitaBene (04-20-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #37
Misty Blue

Default The Boys on the Bay

I have done this one before, sort of, and a long time ago. But thought that it might bring something to this post and hopefully, a smile in though times.

My Lake brothers and I landed on the Lake in the 50s and it has been a good life...

The Boys on the Bay

Boys from three cabins
They were here to stay
That's how they first met
Those Boys on the Bay

Summers were magic
Three boys hard at play
Sun, sand and clear water raised
Those Boys on the Bay

Happy years passed by them
Teen years, with their ways
Yes, that's how they grew up
Those Boys on the Bay

School books and service
Drew them far away
But they knew that they'd be back
Those Boys on the Bay

Careers took their days up
But they never did stray
New families to share with
Those Boys on the Bay

The decades did pass them
Their hair turning grey
But the clear waters held them
Those Boys on the Bay

Beers on the beach now
Grandkids hard at play
Yes the Great Spirit smiled down on
Those Boys on the Bay

I Love you, my Lake Brothers

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-18-2020), BroadHopper (05-25-2020), coltgov101 (04-18-2020), dippasan (04-20-2020), Hillcountry (04-18-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #38
The Real BigGuy

Misty - you need to find a musician. You have the beginnings of a great ballad!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #39
Misty Blue

Default Musician?

One of my Lake brothers IS a musician!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #40
The Real BigGuy

Get him to writing “The Ballad of the Boys on the Bay”. A hit in the waiting.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #41
pressman247

Saw this online and thought it a good fit.

https://thelaker.com/2020/lake-remembrances
pressman247 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pressman247 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-25-2020), Tallyho (05-23-2020), Top-Water (05-23-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #42
Donzi Minx

Smile Lake childhood memories

Well it used to be 11 Oak Street until they did the re-mapping for 911 and then the property became 16 Acorn Drive. Front and center to Diamond Island, and the majesty of the Ossipee range beyond that. A family "cottage" since 1953,we all shared the property for summer months, and seasons passes at Gunstock.

My Mom basically enjoyed the use of the property from August to Labor Day, and all of my cousins, (her sisters) enjoyed the whole month together. The competitive edge of "Mount Washington first" at the earliest glimpse of its approach. Copious quantities of penny candies from the Fataconis (perhaps original owners of the Wise Owl) and the race to get back to the cottage.

We knew we were on the decadent side of childhood when we would ski into the"greenies" at Ames Farm behind the Chris Craft. We loved the glass like quality of the spot, and on early morning dares would slalom out on the cut to the inside of the raft anchored in front of the Ames properties. That ended abruptly when the MP came to the property and physically unscrewed the plate from the transom.

It all came to an unhappy end when the property was auctioned off in October of 2008.

Ahhhh but those imbued memories in the grey matter.....
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Donzi Minx For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 06:13 AM   #43
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Ames in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
We knew we were on the decadent side of childhood when we would ski into the"greenies" at Ames Farm behind the Chris Craft. We loved the glass like quality of the spot, and on early morning dares would slalom out on the cut to the inside of the raft anchored in front of the Ames properties. That ended abruptly when the MP came to the property and physically unscrewed the plate from the transom.
WOW! The raft! Remember well using the raft as a slalom cut! Maybe we passed each other when the sun rises! We had a fast boat and we were in the water ski races back in the days. When we saw the 'P-boat' we disappeared round the bend to LSP! MP never caught us! Fun times!
Old 06-14-2021, 05:32 AM   #44
hemlock

Default 1967-1969

So
In 1967 My grandfather applied for and received a permit to build a 2 bedroom septic system at the camp. This was the first year septic systems were required in NH. I still have the drawing that my grandmother hand drew of the system as well as the approval for construction and the approval for operation. The trenches for the pipe and stone were blasted and hand dug. The crushed stone was dumped at the shoreline by the Kitty Belle. We kids spent the next two years hauling buckets of stone up the hill to the trenches where my grandfather had carefully laid the perforated pipe which at the time was made of tar impregnated paper. We didnt have enough stone to cover the pipe completely so one of our jobs was to pick small stones off the lake bottom and haul the up the hill to the trenches. I think this helped show us kids the value of hard work.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #45
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
So

In 1967 My grandfather applied for and received a permit to build a 2 bedroom septic system at the camp. This was the first year septic systems were required in NH. I still have the drawing that my grandmother hand drew of the system as well as the approval for construction and the approval for operation. The trenches for the pipe and stone were blasted and hand dug. The crushed stone was dumped at the shoreline by the Kitty Belle. We kids spent the next two years hauling buckets of stone up the hill to the trenches where my grandfather had carefully laid the perforated pipe which at the time was made of tar impregnated paper. We didnt have enough stone to cover the pipe completely so one of our jobs was to pick small stones off the lake bottom and haul the up the hill to the trenches. I think this helped show us kids the value of hard work.
Well said. Those of us that have been on the lakes for decades have similar stories we pass on to the grandkids. I always like to leave notes in odd places so years from now hopefully I get a smile from someone I may never meet

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #46
Mr. V

My uncle was an educator in Long Island who spent his summers at the lake.

He bought a parcel of lake front property and over time built a nice house for he and his wife and also four cabins to rent out.

He worked out a deal with family where he'd feed and house a nephew for the summer in exchange for physical work in the daytime, building cabins, docks, boathouse, paths etc.

Several of my uncles (his nephews) worked there.

A true "win-win" for all involved
Old 06-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #47
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Late 60s.
My father bought abutting, 1/4 acre lots on a river in Tuftonboro.
I remember an uncle of mine saying what a waste of money.
Forty year old grand-kids still lovin' the place!!!- And they got that pine cone/camp fire kind of feelin' in them!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote