Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #201
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I am surprised that so many don't seem to worry about the wear and tear on a house when renting to a big crowd of people.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #202
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I am surprised that so many don't seem to worry about the wear and tear on a house when renting to a big crowd of people.
Short term rent is much higher than renting monthly and full rent and deposit paid in advance. In my experience there is not a lot of wear and tear as the tenants are usually more affluent to pay that kind of money upfront.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #203
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Short term rent is much higher than renting monthly and full rent and deposit paid in advance. In my experience there is not a lot of wear and tear as the tenants are usually more affluent to pay that kind of money upfront.

But still, having thirty people in a house has to be hard on it. Everything is used more. Often more than one family will rent to be able to afford it. To your point though, if they are affluent, they wouldn't need as many people to pay the rent. I am just saying a large amount of people is tough.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #204
joey2665

Quote:
But still, having thirty people in a house has to be hard on it. Everything is used more. Often more than one family will rent to be able to afford it. To your point though, if they are affluent, they wouldn't need as many people to pay the rent. I am just saying a large amount of people is tough.
Never seen a home with 30 people. It’s always limited to the amount of people it sleeps in the lease and lease also usually states no parties.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #205
tis

Quote:
Never seen a home with 30 people. It’s always limited to the amount of people it sleeps in the lease and lease also usually states no parties.

No, that was an exaggeration but I do remember reading on here once somebody was looking for a rental for 30 people or about that and somebody actually offered their home. But I know positively that you need to watch people if you rent because often they try to have more people than they said they would and also a lot of them party because they are on vacation.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #206
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Many of those big waterfront houses are bought by groups of investors just to rent out as a business investment. All they care about is ROI.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #207
Biggd

Quote:

Ha,ha, no parties. That's a joke. My daughter use to say, "I never had any parties when you went away, only small gatherings". Years later we found out the meaning of "small gatherings".
Old 12-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #208
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Ha,ha, no parties. That's a joke. My daughter use to say, "I never had any parties when you went away, only small gatherings". Years later we found out the meaning of "small gatherings".
Yes. People on vacation usually party.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #209
joey2665

Quote:
No it’s not and your not renting to teenagers or frat members if you are smart. Your are supposed to vet your tenant as any smart landlord would.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #210
Mr. V

Default end run

Allowing rentals enables people without much income or money who inherit a nice home to keep it in the family.

They get to use the property quite a bit, subject to the need to rent it out for a couple of months in order to get the money to pay the cost of upkeep and taxes.

So the city fathers have a choice: either prohibit home rentals and thereby ensure that only the wealthy will live there, or allow rentals and thereby allow the property to remain in the hands of your "average joes and janes."
Old 12-12-2019, 05:37 AM   #211
tis

Quote:
No it’s not and your not renting to teenagers or frat members if you are smart. Your are supposed to vet your tenant as any smart landlord would.

Joey, you think people don't go to the lake to party? Check out Braun Bay sometime. Not meaning to argue but in my opinion it just is a fact.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #212
joey2665

Default City of Laconia home rentals

Quote:
Joey, you think people don't go to the lake to party? Check out Braun Bay sometime. Not meaning to argue but in my opinion it just is a fact.
I do not understand all the flank I am getting? Your statement is not fact. What does Brain Bay have to do with short term rentals?

This is something I am extremely experienced with. Again as long as you properly vet you tenants you should not have any major issues. I’ve been renting residential properties short term for a long time.

Also as a matter of fact in my experience long-term renters do much more damage to homes been short renters do.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #213
Biggd

Quote:
I do not understand all the flank I am getting? Your statement is not fact. What does Brain Bay have to do with short term rentals?

This is something I am extremely experienced with. Again as long as you properly vet you tenants you should not have any major issues. I’ve been renting residential properties short term for a long time.

Also as a matter of fact in my experience long-term renters do much more damage to homes been short renters do.

I'm glad you do it right but just because you do a good job vetting your tenants doesn't mean other landlords do. That's why oversight is needed.
Like I said, I know of some multi million dollar houses that were bought by groups of investors who never set foot in them and are rentals only. Sometimes they get great tenants and sometimes they don't. And if you're one of the neighbors it isn't always pleasant.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #214
joey2665

Quote:
I'm glad you do it right but just because you do a good job vetting your tenants doesn't mean other landlords do. That's why oversight is needed.

Like I said, I know of some multi million dollar houses that were bought by groups of investors who never set foot in them and are rentals only. Sometimes they get great tenants and sometimes they don't.
There are already town ordinances for noise and the like. More regulation is more government and more wasted money.

A very few isolated incidents and the world turns upside. Classic overreaction

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #215
Biggd

Quote:
There are already town ordinances for noise and the like. More regulation is more government and more wasted money.

A very few isolated incidents and the world turns upside. Classic overreaction

As long as you're not one those "isolated incidents", no problem. Classic landlord response.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #216
tis

Quote:

Not meaning to give you flack and my point with Braun Bay is people come to the lake to party when they are on vacation, whether it's for a day, a week or a month. Even if you vet your people you have to keep your eye on the property.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #217
tis

And BTW, Joey, I didn't say I was against renting at all. I think a lot of people need to do it to pay their property taxes. And I hate more government rules and regulations. I think our houses should be our property and the government should stay out of it, but of course you know they don't. Every move is regulated. Then you see what SOME people do and you understand unfortunately why we need rules and laws.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #218
Woodsy

Default Unregulated Commercial Business.

It is easy to say its OK for a homeowner to do what he wants with his property... Woohoo freedom! However, if it worked that way we would have no need for zoning laws. Ask the guy on the corner of Rollercoaster Rd what he thinks! Or better yet, his neighbors!

The Airbnb/Vrbo concept, is essentially an unregulated, uninspected commercial motel in a residential neighborhood, especially when the house is not occupied by the owner, and was purchased specifically for short term rentals. It is a for profit business, and not subject to the same rules and regulations that Hotels & Motels are subjected to. For example, Airnb/Vrbo properties are NOT inspected for life safety issues, they don't pay the rooms & meals tax, they don't pay business taxes etc etc.

Laconia does not need or want so called "investors" who want to buy up property only to rent it out like a no tell motel. The City has a vested interest in building up neighborhoods.

Woodsy
Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #219
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
It is easy to say its OK for a homeowner to do what he wants with his property... Woohoo freedom! However, if it worked that way we would have no need for zoning laws. Ask the guy on the corner of Rollercoaster Rd what he thinks! Or better yet, his neighbors!

The Airbnb/Vrbo concept, is essentially an unregulated, uninspected commercial motel in a residential neighborhood, especially when the house is not occupied by the owner, and was purchased specifically for short term rentals. It is a for profit business, and not subject to the same rules and regulations that Hotels & Motels are subjected to. For example, Airnb/Vrbo properties are NOT inspected for life safety issues, they don't pay the rooms & meals tax, they don't pay business taxes etc etc.

Laconia does not need or want so called "investors" who want to buy up property only to rent it out like a no tell motel. The City has a vested interest in building up neighborhoods.

Woodsy

The city of Laconia doesn't seem to vested in building up neighborhoods though. They seem to be more for continued support of keeping the towns image beneath the poverty line. These new regulations just add another negative and essentially eliminate Laconia off the list of when people ask where to stay/rent a house when visiting the Lakes Region.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #220
Biggd

Quote:
And BTW, Joey, I didn't say I was against renting at all. I think a lot of people need to do it to pay their property taxes. And I hate more government rules and regulations. I think our houses should be our property and the government should stay out of it, but of course you know they don't. Every move is regulated. Then you see what SOME people do and you understand unfortunately why we need rules and laws.
Exactly, not every owner takes care of their property and I wouldn't consider it "isolated incidents". I've seen people move into brand new $700,000 homes with beautiful landscaping and never cut the grass. By then end of the summer it's 3ft tall. That's why fence companies are sooo busy!
You notice it more with different cultures. The colonial town of Lexington it is 50% Asian now. They all want big houses with no yards to take care of. $800,000 homes are being torn down to make way for 3 and 4 million dollar homes and they sell quickly.
I went to see Lenny Clark in Lexington's Cary Hall last year and one of his jokes was, "I rode my bike here on the bike path and I fell off and was knocked out. When I woke up I though I was in China".
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
tis (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #221
tis

Quote:

They don't have to pay rooms and meals tax?????? I think they do. Or they are supposed to.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #222
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
The city of Laconia doesn't seem to vested in building up neighborhoods though. They seem to be more for continued support of keeping the towns image beneath the poverty line. These new regulations just add another negative and essentially eliminate Laconia off the list of when people ask where to stay/rent a house when visiting the Lakes Region.
I disagree.... the City has made improvements to the Weirs, and is currently focused on Lakeport improvements. Investors buying up houses to run like motels is not in the best interest of any neighborhood.

Woodsy
Old 12-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #223
covelife

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
The arm of government that is to big. Way to many laws.
Yes, but wish they would do more to deal with the hoarders in town that use their properties as a junkyard!
covelife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to covelife For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #224
joey2665

Wow. I am shocked at the distain for short term rentals. This is extremely popular is almost all resort areas world wide.

I have no problem paying the occupancy tax on short term rentals.

inspection and health safety issues are ridiculous. Why would short term rental be subject these type of regulations when long term and commercial are not. So if I rent one day over the short term time I am not subject to any of these health and safety regs?

My points are merely not opinion but fact based on years of experience. Short term rentals increase values and boost the economy. Fact!!!

Many of the “opinions” on this subject are just that opinions and not fact.

You just do not want short term rentals because you are worried there MIGHT be an issue when in fact people without you knowing until this came in front of the council having been going on successfully for years with very minimal incident.

TheRoBoat (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #225
Biggd

Quote:
Wow. I am shocked at the distain for short term rentals. This is extremely popular is almost all resort areas world wide.

inspection and health safety issues are ridiculous. Why would short term rental be subject these type of regulations when long term and commercial are not. So if I rent one day over the short term time I am not subject to any of these health and safety regs?

My points are merely not opinion but fact based on years of experience. Short term rentals increase values and boost the economy. Fact!!!

You just do not want short term rentals because you are worried there MIGHT be an issue when in fact people without you knowing until this came in front of the council having been going on successfully for years with very minimal incident.

Air B&B has changed short term rentals dramatically. This is why new regulations are being proposed. People are renting their homes all over the world with very little oversight.
As a matter of fact, people are renting homes out that they don't even own.
It's opened up a whole new can of worms.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #226
joey2665

Quote:
Air B&B has changed short term rentals dramatically. This is why new regulations are being proposed. People are renting their homes all over the world with very little oversight.
As a matter of fact, people are renting homes out that they don't even own.
It's opened up a whole new can of worms.
It has increased volume but not changed short term rentals. I have never used Air BnB or any other service. The vacation rental industry has never had oversight this doesn’t change anything. As far as renting a home you do not own you do not need Air BnB for that scenario.

I just see many trivial excuses for people that just do not want short term rentals in their backyards

Old 12-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #227
Woodsy

Quote:

I don't know why you are shocked! At my condo complex in the Weirs we take a VERY laid back attitude with most things. We had a condo in our complex do Airnb and it was AWFUL! We had all sorts of noise & parking issues. We let this go on for most of a summer, blaming it on bad luck in their clients. Finally we had enough. Luckily short term rentals were forbidden in the HOA docs, so a cease & desist was issued.

Why should your short term rentals not be subject to the same rules and regulations and inspections as a hotel/motel? Is that not in fact what your business model is? When you take money for lodging, you become a commercial entity and as such should be subject to the same rules & regs. Why should you as an individual, be exempt from the same rules we impose on the Naswa & Margate and other businesses?

Woodsy
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #228
Biggd

Quote:
It has increased volume but not changed short term rentals. I have never used Air BnB or any other service. The vacation rental industry has never had oversight this doesn’t change anything. As far as renting a home you do not own you do not need Air BnB for that scenario.

I just see many trivial excuses for people that just do not want short term rentals in their backyards

It's not trivial if it's happening in your neighborhood and it's not as isolated as you make it out to be. I'm happy you are one of the responsible landlords but there are many out there that are not just as there are not many that are responsible renters.
I've been a residential landlord and I know how difficult it can be that's why I only deal with commercial tenants now. Right now times are good for renting but things can change quickly. I'm 65 and I've seen lots of good times and lots of bad.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #229
Red apple

So I personally purchased a home is a residential neighborhood and like my peace and quiet with out the "hotel" feel with people coming in and out every two to three days next door and across the street that we have had with the Air B&B for the last few years. Now that they passed this new proposal I will do everything in my legal homeowner rights to make their renters not welcome and not be able to keep renting. Hopefully the three strike rule is still in the books as it was before so after three legitimate complaints about the renters they will be no longer allowed to rent. This is just me as I spend to much time and money on my property to have to deal with BS next door and across the street. To each his own and some homes with renters do not bother anyone as they are set back but in my case people are at time 20' away.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red apple For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #230
joey2665

Quote:
It's not trivial if it's happening in your neighborhood and it's not as isolated as you make it out to be. I'm happy you are one of the responsible landlords but there are many out there that are not just as there are not many that are responsible renters.
I've been a residential landlord and I know how difficult it can be that's why I only deal with commercial tenants now. Right now times are good for renting but things can change quickly. I'm 65 and I've seen lots of good times and lots of bad.
I have rented in my neighborhood many times without issues. Again it it just a case of not in my backyard and extreme overreaction.

This has become an exercise in futility. I will continue to vet and rent short term in the area as long as it is financially prudent and part of this is making sure I have quality tenants.

Cheers!!!!!
Old 12-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #231
fatlazyless

Angry .... hello Laconia-911, we got too many cars down here!

From the city's rules on short term lodging in Post #201, it says:

Rule 2-C-vi: 'To determine maximum number of vehicles allowed per rental, driveway capacity shall be confirmed. On-street parking shall not be allowed.'

Ok ..... so when an annoyed neighbor phones Laconia-911 and complains on the rental, the police officer who arrives at the scene of the rental will immediately have an easy count on the parked cars without needing to enter the rental .... and the police will probably have list showing each rental's car capacity, plus the obvious no on-street parking.

Reading the rules, it seems like the first offense for too many parked cars over listed capacity gets a warning, while a second offense carries a $275/day civil fine for the rental owner.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #232
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
Why should your short term rentals not be subject to the same rules and regulations and inspections as a hotel/motel? Is that not in fact what your business model is? When you take money for lodging, you become a commercial entity and as such should be subject to the same rules & regs. Why should you as an individual, be exempt from the same rules we impose on the Naswa & Margate and other businesses?Woodsy
The same argument can be made when comparing taxis to uber.

Hotel / motel / established rental colonies must really hate the proliferation of short term rentals; I wonder how much they have lobbied against them?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #233
tis

About 3 years ago I started getting calls on my cell asking about my house on VRBO up in the ski area of NH somewhere. I told them they must have the wrong number. They told me they didn't this was the number I posted in my ad. I told them I didn't have an ad or a house to rent. After a few of these calls, I figured out that somebody had erroneously posted my number in their ad. This must have been a very popular place because I got lots of calls. I either called or emailed and they told me to do the opposite so I did but never got any where with VRBO. These calls went on for a couple of years quite often. They then slowed down but I did get one a couple of months ago. The thing that really surprised me was that they insisted that I had a house to rent because this was the number. Some of them told me they booked my place and they needed to know what to bring and what was supplied. I always asked them if they did get in touch with the true owner if they would ask her/him to please change the number on the ad. So the moral of the story is, just hope you never get your phone number posted on somebody's ad. It is a pain in the neck. And if you rent please be very careful with the number. They must have lost a lot of business having the wrong number.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #234
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red apple View Post
So I personally purchased a home is a residential neighborhood and like my peace and quiet with out the "hotel" feel with people coming in and out every two to three days next door and across the street that we have had with the Air B&B for the last few years. Now that they passed this new proposal I will do everything in my legal homeowner rights to make their renters not welcome and not be able to keep renting. Hopefully the three strike rule is still in the books as it was before so after three legitimate complaints about the renters they will be no longer allowed to rent. This is just me as I spend to much time and money on my property to have to deal with BS next door and across the street. To each his own and some homes with renters do not bother anyone as they are set back but in my case people are at time 20' away.
As I said before, I have a house across the street from me that's rented all season with absolutely no problems for the 5 years I've been there but if I did have a problem I would take to the owner first.
She's owned the place for a long time and has weeded out the bad apples. Her tenants are the same ones every year.
Air B&B is becoming a problem all over the world but when ever something new comes along, problems have to be corrected. Cities and towns are going though the correction phase now as they are being confronted with more complaints than they were normally seeing in the past.
No one likes new laws but not everyone does what's in the best interest of everyone around them. Many people only care about what puts the most money in their pockets regardless of who it affects.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-12-2019 at 07:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Red apple (12-12-2019), Woodsy (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #235
joey2665

Quote:
As I said before, I have a house across the street from me that's rented all season with absolutely no problems for the 5 years I've been there but if I did have a problem I would take to the owner first.
She's owned the place for a long time and has weeded out the bad apples. Her tenants are the same ones every year.
Air B&B is becoming a problem all over the world but when ever something new comes along, problems have to be corrected. Cities and towns are going though the correction phase now as they are being confronted with more complaints than they were normally seeing in the past.
No one likes new laws but not everyone does what's in the best interest of everyone around them. Many people only care about what puts the most money in their pockets regardless of who it affects.
Sweeping statements. Again what is your proof short term or Airbnb Rentals are an issue "World Wide". Are there some stats you have to prove this? Along with "many" only care about what goes in their pocket. Yes being a landlord is a business but myself and owners I am familiar with are extremely responsible and care about their properties and the neighborhoods we are in. You make all landlords out to be "slumlords" which is an absolute falicy
Old 12-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #236
winni83

A 10 second Google search brought up many municipal v. short term rental problems. See, e. g.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/23/unwe...m-rentals.html
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #237
Biggd

Quote:
Sweeping statements. Again what is your proof short term or Airbnb Rentals are an issue "World Wide". Are there some stats you have to prove this? Along with "many" only care about what goes in their pocket. Yes being a landlord is a business but myself and owners I am familiar with are extremely responsible and care about their properties and the neighborhoods we are in. You make all landlords out to be "slumlords" which is an absolute falicy
I thought you were done here? The word "slumlords" is yours not mine.
I never said all landlords are bad but there are many bad ones as there are tenants.
I think you're taking this thread a little too personal.
Anyone that doesn't believe Air B&B has changed the rental landscape has their head in the sand.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #238
joey2665

Quote:
I thought you were done here? The word "slumlords" is yours not mine.
I never said all landlords are bad but there are many bad ones as there are tenants.
I think you're taking this thread a little too personal.
Anyone that doesn't believe Air B&B has changed the rental landscape has their head in the sand.
Of course I am taking it personal. It is my major source of income. If people were opineing negativity about your industry without facts and trying to regulate and overreact you would take it personally also.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #239
Biggd

Quote:
Of course I am taking it personal. It is my major source of income. If people were opineing negativity about your industry without facts and trying to regulate and overreact you would take it personally also.
I'm way past that, because I know 90% of the people in my industry today are crooks. I'm one of a dying breed that puts customers before profits.
I actually have customers that have been coming to me for over 40 years. I guess that's why I'm still plugging away at 65.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-12-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #240
Woodsy

Joey....

There is a huge difference in being a landlord and running a mini-motel! Your business should be subject to the same rules & regs as any other hotel/motel. You should especially be held to life safety rules and regulations!

Woodsy
Old 12-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #241
Major

Default Short Term Rentals

My issue is that if I want to live in a neighborhood having family homes having owners who live in them and that neighborhood is zoned to prevent short-term or even long-term rentals, I would be upset if neighbors started renting their homes. I fully realize that there are good neighbors and bad neighbors, much like there are good renters and bad renters. Zoning is promulgated to protect the integrity of the neighborhood. Not for a second do I believe home prices on Pleasant Street or Short Drive or Morningside Drive or in Long Bay, would be negatively impacted by regulations on short-term rentals. In fact, my gut would tell me that home prices would rise.

If we want to change the zoning, we should go through the democratic process and see what the people who live here want.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Laconiaflower (02-13-2020)
Old 12-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #242
joey2665

Quote:
Joey....

There is a huge difference in being a landlord and running a mini-motel! Your business should be subject to the same rules & regs as any other hotel/motel. You should especially be held to life safety rules and regulations!

Woodsy
Your missing the point. My point is if you rent biannually or annually you are not subject to these rules and taxes but short term you are? Makes no sense.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #243
tcoffey

It would not necessarily be bad
If home values did come down as a result of rental restrictions. What about the people and families that just want to buy a lake property for themselves and not burden the town with rowdy renters. Now they get to buy at a lower price!

tcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #244
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoffey View Post
It would not necessarily be bad
If home values did come down as a result of rental restrictions. What about the people and families that just want to buy a lake property for themselves and not burden the town with rowdy renters. Now they get to buy at a lower price!

A reset usually happens when there is a recession. No one knows when that will be but that's the time to buy if you can be patient and wait. This expansion has lasted a long time so I think we are getting closer.
With the debt that's been racked up with cheap money it's only a matter of time before the bill comes due.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #245
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default New Legislation

Senator Harold French has filed legislation that would alter the statewide regulations and affect Laconia short term rental rules. The arguments and committee hearings on this should bring up some interesting discussions.

If passed, Laconia will need to revisit the issue and change the recently enacted ordinance.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...a906123fd.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #246
joey2665

With the state getting involved it is a totally new game. I am in favor of statewide legislation as opposed to town by town. If things stay with the new Laconia ordnance than Gilford Metedith Alton etc will have an additional leg up on tourism.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #247
WinnisquamZ

Harold is listen to the big money in Laconia instead of families in neighborhoods. Very disappointing. Did not expect that from him. He should wait to see how the first rental season goes before saying it’s wrong and must be changed

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #248
tis

It's sad though, isn't it, that people have to rent their property to pay their taxes?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #249
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
It's sad though, isn't it, that people have to rent their property to pay their taxes?
Sad, not at all. Short term rentals are targeted as investment income for their owners. Has little, if anything to do with someone’s abilities to afford ones housing choice. Owner occupied properties are exempt. So if one needs to rent a room to afford ones expenses so be it.
Short term rental permits are available for those that choose this type of investment. I believe the permit is the major hurdle that investment property owners are angry of. Opening the door to the city for inspection of a property that was updated without permits and not up to current safety codes.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #250
tis

WinnisquamZ

Maybe you are right, but some people rent their houses on the lake to pay or help pay the taxes. They have been in the family for years and they want to keep them.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #251
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Sad, not at all. Short term rentals are targeted as investment income for their owners. Has little, if anything to do with someone’s abilities to afford ones housing choice. Owner occupied properties are exempt. So if one needs to rent a room to afford ones expenses so be it.
Short term rental permits are available for those that choose this type of investment. I believe the permit is the major hurdle that investment property owners are angry of. Opening the door to the city for inspection of a property that was updated without permits and not up to current safety codes.

I disagree the major complaint is short term rentals are limited to just the Weirs.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #252
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
WinnisquamZ

Maybe you are right, but some people rent their houses on the lake to pay or help pay the taxes. They have been in the family for years and they want to keep them.
The home I currently live in has been in the family since 66’. I also must budget for the cost of ownership. We do without to keep it, and know that someday we may have to let it go. Until then, we enjoy it

Old 01-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #253
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
I disagree the major complaint is short term rentals are limited to just the Weirs.

Short term rentals are not limited to the Weirs. Those that have applied for permits outside of the Weirs area have been denied do to various issues.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #254
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Local control is better

Quote:
With the state getting involved it is a totally new game. I am in favor of statewide legislation as opposed to town by town. If things stay with the new Laconia ordnance than Gilford Metedith Alton etc will have an additional leg up on tourism.
Local control can be much more flexible, easier to chnge to meet local needs. I don'tr think Selectmen and planning boards are very concerned about competing with other towns on the basis of zoning. They and the voters, are more concerned about local needs. Of course, Laconia is a city with a government that to me, is more removed from the voters than a town gov- ernment.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #255
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Local control can be much more flexible, easier to chnge to meet local needs. I don'tr think Selectmen and planning boards are very concerned about competing with other towns on the basis of zoning. They and the voters, are more concerned about local needs. Of course, Laconia is a city with a government that to me, is more removed from the voters than a town gov- ernment.
Sorry we will agree to disagree. All the towns are competing for tourism dollars in a very short period of time and any restriction on locals to attract tourists to their community will in the end cost the town tax dollars whether it is a short term rental/hotel tax (such as Florida does) meal tax ect. This is something Selectmen should absolutely be concerned with. Yes I do however agree that the City of Laconia is very disconnected from their voters
Old 01-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #256
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Sorry we will agree to disagree. All the towns are competing for tourism dollars in a very short period of time and any restriction on locals to attract tourists to their community will in the end cost the town tax dollars whether it is a short term rental/hotel tax (such as Florida does) meal tax ect. This is something Selectmen should absolutely be concerned with. Yes I do however agree that the City of Laconia is very disconnected from their voters
The issue is not about tourism dollars, it’s about neighbored disruption due to crazy renters and property owners uninterested in resolving the problem. This is a non issue if the property owners resolved issues. Can’t leave out the Laconia’s PD. Had they resolved a few issues over the years instead of saying they had no jurisdiction we would not be here today

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #257
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
The issue is not about tourism dollars, it’s about neighbored disruption due to crazy renters and property owners uninterested in resolving the problem. This is a non issue if the property owners resolved issues. Can’t leave out the Laconia’s PD. Had they resolved a few issues over the years instead of saying they had no jurisdiction we would not be here today

It is all the same issue. Everyone is letting a very minimal amount of complaints determine what happens to the majority that have been successfully renting short term without any issue which then will trickle down and effect tourism dollars
Old 01-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #258
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Looks like the same thing happening in Lincoln: https://www.lincolnnh.org/home/news/...al-regulations

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #259
FlyingScot

Quote:
It is all the same issue. Everyone is letting a very minimal amount of complaints determine what happens to the majority that have been successfully renting short term without any issue which then will trickle down and effect tourism dollars
But the "majority" do not rent out their homes. Therefore it is incumbent on the minority to be really careful in messing with the majority's tranquility. Alas, they have not been careful enough
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #260
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
But the "majority" do not rent out their homes. Therefore it is incumbent on the minority to be really careful in messing with the majority's tranquility. Alas, they have not been careful enough
You are correct

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #261
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
That’s a broad statement I do not agree with. The complaints have been minimal it is a classic case of overreacting to a few isolated incidents.

Laconiaflower (02-13-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:49 AM   #262
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Laconia considering ammendments

Critics said the new regulations are overly restrictive, and said property owners should have the flexibility to use their property for short-term rentals if they wish.

The amendments are scheduled for a first reading at Monday’s council meeting. If the council passes the amendments on the initial reading, they will be scheduled for a public hearing during the council meeting scheduled for Feb. 10.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...7b88ca62e.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #263
joey2665

I think many are extremely underestimating the impact to the local economy if these new ordnance’s are passed. Including tourism in Laconia and values of homes decreasing.

If the city just put in some reasonable safety requirements and charged a tax such as Florida does it is a win win.

As written the enforcement of the new ordnance’s will end up costing the city much more than the 2 year 250.00 they are going to collect from the permits. Especially the 150 day owner occupancy rule.

All this over a few very isolated incidents. Ugh!!!

Reilly (01-26-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #264
Susie Cougar

Quote:
I think many are extremely underestimating the impact to the local economy if these new ordnance’s are passed. Including tourism in Laconia and values of homes decreasing.

If the city just put in some reasonable safety requirements and charged a tax such as Florida does it is a win win.

All this over a few very isolated incidents. Ugh!
This has become a very big issue in Florida as well. There are several towns that are dealing with this issue and are facing the same problems that Laconia is. It seems like we’re going to have state regulations as opposed to each town having their own, but nothing is certain at this point.

The basic premise is that if you own a home in a single-family neighborhood, you have a certain expectation of quality of life.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #265
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Quote:

All this over a few very isolated incidents. Ugh!
This has become a very big issue in Florida as well. There are several towns that are dealing with this issue and are facing the same problems that Laconia is. It seems like we’re going to have state regulations as opposed to each town having their own, but nothing is certain at this point.

The basic premise is that if you own a home in a single-family neighborhood, you have a certain expectation of quality of life.
Where in Florida? I rent my home on Marco all the time which is a huge rental market and there are not any major issues there.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #266
Susie Cougar

Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key are dealing with this near me. But, I heard that Jacksonville and other towns are dealing with this as well.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #267
fatlazyless

Default SB458: Relative to municipal regulation of vacation or short-term rentals

Here's SB458, www.legiscan.com/NH/text/SB458/id/2082379 introduced on January 8, 2020 and sponsored by Sen French-R, Sen Bradley-R, and Sen D'Allesandro-D.

With both the NH House, 233-D vs 164-R, and the NH Senate, 14-D vs 10-R, having Democratic majorities, this bill will without a doubt require an act of God to get it passed as is, and/or any end product as revamped by the Democratic controlled senate and house will get vetoed by Gov Sununu-R ..... so, for starters, and you got to start someplace, this is a very, very good faith start and everyone involved should be highly commended. ...

Note: This Legiscan link has links to the State of New Hampshire website with more information and you can read how the State website shows this new bill.

Opinion: Is it me or is the print font too danged small that it makes you squint and makes it difficult to read and comprehend this proposed bill, as printed? Like, why-O-why-O-why does the State of NH website originate this proposed bill with a print font so small that it is most difficult to read and comprehend?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-25-2020 at 10:41 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #268
map

I personally do not like the idea of a lot of short term renters in my neighborhood. That said, I also am a liberty minded individual and people should be able to do with their homes- that THEY OWN-as they wish as long as they do not hurt other people.

I am thinking right now my husband and I are renting someone's home for a few months until we can move to our new house in the Weirs. We are better neighbors than some of the full time ones here.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #269
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
It a 3 part conspiracy, promoted by the politicians and kept secret from us called a little to much booze in your system before gong to bed at night, old age, and not knowing how to adjust the text size on your browser when your eyes are tired.
Ok ...... so, with your 'puter skills, can you do us all a favor and show an easier to read copy of SB-458 ........ thanks.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #270
Susie Cougar

Hey Joey, I just read in today’s paper that Marco Island is paying residents $250 to let owls 🦉 burrow in their yards. Here’s a way for you to make some extra cash too!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #271
garysanfran

Default This is a tourist destination...

An area for vacations...Oldest resort town in America is here.

Envision no short term rentals.... Tourists can only stay at hotels/motels. That'll turn some current visitors off because they like renting a home, not a room...So a great percentage of them will be gone.

Bayside Rentals, Preferred Properties, C-21...All will go out of business and all their employees will be fired...How many of them will no longer get a pizza from Envio's?

King of Clean works with many landlord home renters...Bye, bye to the King?

How may short termers ride The Mount Washington? Or are the passengers just locals? Doris E? Sophie C?

Maybe the hotel stayers will keep Monkey Truck line in business? Is there enough (will there be enough) of them?

The group of 11 adults and 11 kids can just go to The Cape. Who needs 'em?...That group must eat a lot...Hannafords, other grocers, restaurants may feel it is better for those 22 folks to shop here and not in Hyannis?

As current owners sell their properties because they can no longer do with their property what they need to do to pay exorbitant taxes, values will decline and taxes will climb further to offset loss of revenue.

On the positive side...Having a lot...LOTS...less people, to me, has value!

I am a firm believer in trying to understand "unintended consequences" before implementing major changes that on the surface may be appealing.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #272
garysanfran

Default How does this help the problem???

SO the owner wants to rent his property, short term, to help pay Laconia's stupidly high tax rate. But City leaders are succumbing to the noise complainer(s?)...

So here's one solution...Take $250 more away from the owner...Problems all solved...From The Sun...

[URL="Another change to the ordinance would set the cost of a short-term rental permit at $250. A permit would be valid for two years."]

I propose...Take it a step further ...if $250 accomplishes SOMETHING(?), Why not get twice as much SOMETHING and charge $500? Has to be twice as good as the measly $250...But wait, think of what could be done to silence unwanted noise, or something, if Laconia got $1,000?
Old 01-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #273
fatlazyless

So, if 'SB-458: Relative to municipal regulation of vacation or short-term rentals', becomes a state law, then it will override any town/city ordinance.

Believe that's the way it works, a state law will generally supersede a local town/city ordinance.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #274
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
I wish you would stop thinking so small. Go for more silence.
Nice one, LOL
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #275
Outdoorsman

Quote:

As written the enforcement of the new ordnance’s will end up costing the city much more than the 2 year 250.00 they are going to collect from the permits. Especially the 150 day owner occupancy rule.

All this over a few very isolated incidents. Ugh!!!

Though I do not rent property in Laconia, this topic seems to be a hot button issue in many communities and I would like to be educated on the subject when it hits my community. I do not want to be "fighting City Hall" as it were if this does in fact have an impact on my property.

My question is, where are you finding statistics stating that it is "isolated" or "very few incidents"? I see a number of people in this community and others that use those same terms.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #276
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
SO the owner wants to rent his property, short term, to help pay Laconia's stupidly high tax rate. But City leaders are succumbing to the noise complainer(s?)...

So here's one solution...Take $250 more away from the owner...Problems all solved...From The Sun...

[URL="Another change to the ordinance would set the cost of a short-term rental permit at $250. A permit would be valid for two years."]

I propose...Take it a step further ...if $250 accomplishes SOMETHING(?), Why not get twice as much SOMETHING and charge $500? Has to be twice as good as the measly $250...But wait, think of what could be done to silence unwanted noise, or something, if Laconia got $1,000?
I had the same thought. How in the heck does charging a fee quiet people down?
Old 01-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #277
garysanfran

Default I guess if you pay...

Quote:
I had the same thought. How in the heck does charging a fee quiet people down?
Enough to a politician, a lot of things can remain quiet!
Old 02-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #278
greeleyhill

Default Same Topic - new direction

Has anyone been through the application process with the town yet? Just wondering how challenging/easy it might be.
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #279
Red apple

I have not saw one yet but could be interesting due to building codes. As a lot of people rent out odd spaces like attics, basements, extra area's of the home and I'm sure these area's do not meet the newest building codes for egress and other codes. By right if the City is going to permit them they need to cover themselves from law suits and need to be sure. Case and point I went for a small room change and had to make the windows larger for a second egress. The old room was fine but because the City was in the house for the permit in that room I had to make the changes.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #280
WinnisquamZ

Correct. That is why one of the changes being pushed is for a “fire/smoke alarm only” inspection. Agree, with the city having liability if they dumb down the inspection. Would like to see us go thru a season before changes are adapted. Big money is making a lot of noice about these rental requires. Don’t believe, the city expected this pushback. Big money or city neighbors, who will prevail?

Old 02-13-2020, 01:44 AM   #281
Laconiaflower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red apple View Post
Looks like they are cracking down on rental homes in Laconia. Letters going out to homeowners that rent by the week or night saying to stop or you will be fined $275/day. In order to keep renting you have to go to the city and apply for a zoning change. They state that renting is in violation of the city’s zoning ordinance and site plan regulations. Watch out everyone doing weekly rentals and Air B and B...

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Please note that all articles of this discussion that have been in paper (laconia daily sun) have noted that anything in the Weirs/Winnepasakee seasonal/summer rentals are not subject to these fines or ordinances and that whomever is renting to anyone, or anyone seeking an air b&b or like, laconia rental, should be aware of any and all of these ordinances and whether or not they apply to them, there ARE exceptions and certain areas and stipulations that DO PERMIT such arrangements.
Just wanting to clarify. Thanks!
Laconiaflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:06 AM   #282
Redbarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconiaflower View Post
Please note that all articles of this discussion that have been in paper (laconia daily sun) have noted that anything in the Weirs/Winnepasakee seasonal/summer rentals are not subject to these fines or ordinances and that whomever is renting to anyone, or anyone seeking an air b&b or like, laconia rental, should be aware of any and all of these ordinances and whether or not they apply to them, there ARE exceptions and certain areas and stipulations that DO PERMIT such arrangements.
Just wanting to clarify. Thanks!
If you are doing short term rentals in laconia you need the permit no matter where you are. Wiers included (cr and sfr). In the wiers there are just different rules once you have the permit.
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #283
Biggd

So reviving this thread as I can see I'm going to have an issue this year in Meredith. The house across the street from me to the left was sold to investors this past winter to rent out on Air B&B. The first rental this Memorial Day weekend is young kids with no respect for neighbors. They are loud and obnoxious until late in the night. I have a feeling I will be calling the police tonight. So I can see why there has to be some oversight. We have had a rental directly across the street from us for years but this women has rented to the same families for many years and they have been very respectful. I can see we are going to have a problem this year.🤨

Old 05-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #284
Hillcountry

Quote:
So reviving this thread as I can see I'm going to have an issue this year in Meredith. The house across the street from me to the left was sold to investors this past winter to rent out on Air B&B. The first rental this Memorial Day weekend is young kids with no respect for neighbors. They are loud and obnoxious until late in the night. I have a feeling I will be calling the police tonight. So I can see why there has to be some oversight. We have had a rental directly across the street from us for years but this women has rented to the same families for many years and they have been very respectful. I can see we are going to have a problem this year.🤨

That sucks! Good luck!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #285
FlyingScot

Quote:

The bummer here is that you have to figure out how to go after the owner, otherwise you're battling a new renter every week. A homeowner's association near my house discovered that one of its homes was sold to an investor for Air BnB. To nip the problem in the bud, they began enforcing an association rule that the shared beach required guests to be escorted by their homeowner hosts. Ouch!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #286
garysanfran

Quote:

Find out if they went through a rental agency and notify the agency. I work with Bayside Rentals, never had a problem, but they make it very clear that they'll handle anything that comes along.
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-25-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #287
Red apple

So I know there are a lot of renters but the NH Governor put a ban on all renters since COVID -19? Did they open this back up or is everyone that is doing it renting against the states orders.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #288
WinnisquamZ

Renters this past weekend at one house. Other two on the road were empty

Old 05-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #289
Biggd

I looked up the house I mentioned on VRBO and it's booked for July and August. They are getting $300 per night, 3br, says sleeps ten. There were at least ten there Saturday night. I just don't understand how they are going to make any money, between paying taxes, insurance, cleaning fees, and mortgage payments. They paid 715K for the property.

Last edited by Biggd; 05-26-2020 at 03:04 PM.