Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
Sandyisl

Default Sunday Morning Post... Card. Where is this cove? 1-12-20

Good Sunday Morning all.
Where is this scene of winni?

I will be flying today if the flight is successful I will reveal the answer as it is on the postcard but cut off from the scan.
Attached Images

Sandyisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
LoveLakeLife

My guess is Glidden Cove in the foreground and Mill Cove right behind it with Pearl Island aka Black Snap Island fka Hog Island in the middle where the two coves meet. The tip of Sleepers Island in the upper left.

I’ll cross my fingers!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Robert's Cove?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
LoveLakeLife

Roberts Cove is a better guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 AM   #5
Sandyisl

Default Flight Kinda Successful ...

OK I had said I would respond with the location if my flight was successful.

Roberts Cove.

Spot on! a place on the lake I have never been (among many others)

And now about the flight.
Im not sure if anyone has any insight but I am fresh off a flight out of Logan where I was mistreated by TSA. I have limited mobility because a brace I am wearing for an injury to my leg/ankle.
I was paraded back and forth thru the screening area after my orthotic, boot and cane were taken from me and without too much detail I essentially feel as tho I was mistreated and violated by TSA.
I have filled a formal complaint with TSA have requested that all video is marked and saved. They have opened an investigation, and said the likely result will be additional training for those involved.
There were blatant violations of their policies including an opportunity for a weapon to pass thru. (no I had no weapons)
I know this is kinda hijacking my own thread but first thing I thought of when I woke up was, uh oh. I wonder if anyone on the forum is wondering why I haven't replied post-flight with the location.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
Susie Cougar

Sandyisl, that’s a terrible story!. I’m so sorry you had to go through that.

In November, I had gone up to Baltimore because my granddaughter was getting an award at the Renaissance Hotel in the city on a Friday. On Thursday I ate something that I shouldn’t. I got food poisoning so bad that I started throwing up on Friday, so during the awards ceremony I’m in the bathroom the whole time. I was sick all day Friday and all day Saturday and I had to fly back on Sunday and I was throwing up in the car on the way to the airport. I couldn’t even imagine having to get on the plane because I had thrown my back out as well and I was in such pain.

My daughter called ahead and got a wheelchair for me. I was really embarrassed that I had to use this and it reminded me of something that Sue Doe-Nym said.
She asked the question if most of the people in wheelchairs going to Florida were just doing it as a scam to get on the plane first. When I first read this I thought there was no way that people would be doing that. So as I found myself sitting in the wheelchair and I looked at the two others before me, and we were going to Florida, I felt they all did deserve to be in a wheelchair.
However, when we were pushed down to the baggage claim to get our luggage the one woman jumped out of her chair, immediately ran to grab her luggage first and she had two really big bags that she had no problem lifting and swinging over her shoulder. I stared in shock as she sprinted out the door!
Sandyisl, I think one of the problems is that there are too many people taking advantage of the system. Maybe that’s what happened to you. Maybe they thought you were faking it, because obviously they know that many people are. Such a shame!
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
Sandyisl (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #7
Sandyisl

Default Yes exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post

In November, I had gone up to Baltimore because my granddaughter was getting an award at the Renaissance Hotel in the city on a Friday. On Thursday I ate something that I shouldn’t. I got food poisoning so bad that I started throwing up on Friday, so during the awards ceremony I’m in the bathroom the whole time. I was sick all day Friday and all day Saturday and I had to fly back on Sunday and I was throwing up in the car on the way to the airport. I couldn’t even imagine having to get on the plane because I had thrown my back out as well and I was in such pain.

My daughter called ahead and got a wheelchair for me. I was really embarrassed that I had to use this and it reminded me of something that Sue Doe-Nym said.
She asked the question if most of the people in wheelchairs going to Florida were just doing it as a scam to get on the plane first. When I first read this I thought there was no way that people would be doing that. So as I found myself sitting in the wheelchair and I looked at the two others before me, and we were going to Florida, I felt they all did deserve to be in a wheelchair.
However, when we were pushed down to the baggage claim to get our luggage the one woman jumped out of her chair, immediately ran to grab her luggage first and she had two really big bags that she had no problem lifting and swinging over her shoulder. I stared in shock as she sprinted out the door!
Sandyisl, I think one of the problems is that there are too many people taking advantage of the system. Maybe that’s what happened to you. Maybe they thought you were faking it, because obviously they know that many people are. Such a shame!
YES
This hits on some more of the "without going into much detail". There certainly were people abusing wheel chair privileges if thats what you want to call it and priority boarding. There were also for too many "emotional support" dogs. Ok. I love dogs, and as far as im concerned every dog is an emotional support dog. But do you really have the balls to walk your chiauhua on my heels in the jetway while watching me struggle with my bags and cane for priority boarding for those that need assistance or additional time?
I can go on.
Maybe this gives you insight as to what happened to me at TSA in Boston.
I got an infection about 9 months ago that was very aggressive and eventually put me in a coma, hooked up, for somewhere around 2 weeks (as I was told).
ICU to hospital back to ICU back to hospital then to physical rehab hospital. Home care outpatient PT. etc permanent life long injury.
The humility of my entire experience in the hospital did not effect me as badly as humility I faced from TSA at Logan airport.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
Susie Cougar

Wow! You have more guts than I do to keep on traveling like that when it’s so hard for you. And especially after everything you’ve been through medically. If anyone should be in a wheelchair it should be you! Why were you walking?
As far as the dogs, I totally agree with you. Luckily, I don’t ever see dogs when I travel. Only once when I was in Baltimore did I notice that a dog had taken a poop right in the walkway and I was shocked that the owner didn’t even pick it up.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
Sandyisl

Quote:
Wow! You have more guts than I do to keep on traveling like that when it’s so hard for you. And especially after everything you’ve been through medically. If anyone should be in a wheelchair it should be you! Why were you walking?
As far as the dogs, I totally agree with you. Luckily, I don’t ever see dogs when I travel. Only once when I was in Baltimore did I notice that a dog had taken a poop right in the walkway and I was shocked that the owner didn’t even pick it up.
Well
I was walking in the airport because I can. I have fought hard to be able to.
June 6th I was released from the physical rehabilitation hospital when I was able to achieve 150' of walking with the assistance of a walker, 6 steps up stairs and transition in and out of a car.
In Nov I was cleared to start swimming. I have been in the water every single day since and am making an incredible recovery. By the fourth of July I will swim the shore line around sandy (round the island swim) and then some.
Im 35 years old and recovering strong despite TSA's portrayal. Im not going take the easy route.
As far as dogs my family raised a seeing eye dog as a volunteer for guiding eyes for the blind, and now I am seriously considering training a service dog of my own.
Mike
Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Good For You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyisl View Post
Well
I was walking in the airport because I can. I have fought hard to be able to.
Love that response Mike!

Congrats to you on an amazing recovery! You are going to be just fine!!!!

Dan
Old 01-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
Susie Cougar

I commend you. And you’re only 35 years old, I did not realize this.

I moved to Florida five years ago because I have many health issues that I’m dealing with. I really need the vitamin D for my osteoporosis and my achy bones.. too many years up north I’m afraid without any sun. My whole family is affected, unfortunately. But I’m a lot older than you are. I do my best every day but sometimes it’s just really hard. I have been swimming also these last few days, really enjoying the warm weather now. I always try to ride my bicycle at least around the block once every day.
My legs really don’t want to walk much anymore. So I do what I can. But I was still embarrassed to have to use the wheelchair. I will admit that. I don’t think I’ll be traveling anytime soon.

You need to keep going and pushing yourself. You’re barely older than my youngest son. You’ve been through a lot and you’re still strong through it all. Congratulations on everything you’ve accomplished!
Sandyisl (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #12
Susie Cougar

Sandyisl, I don’t know how to reply to your private message, LOL. I’ll have to wait for my son to come on Friday to tell me how to do that.

I’m glad you have a lot of support and it’s important to ask for help when you need it. If you ever need to talk I’m always available.
Sandyisl (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 10:48 PM   #13
Winilyme

Lot's of fun trying to compare views and orient myself. Challenging especially when you consider that there are no good date-references that I could find. Couple of observations:

Sandyisl' postcard view in post 1. The boathouse. I'm thinking that's the same structure you can see in the lower center of Top-Water's photograph in post 2.

Compare Top-Waters photograph (I'm assuming it's a photo) in post 4 to his photograph in post 6. The former I assume is a much more recent view than the latter. Yet check out the view. It's almost identical and I think you are looking at the same field and almost exactly the same spot. Just that the guy painting is a bit more to the right of the house view. You can tell by lining up the trees to Rattlesnake in the background. Also, the profile of the trees/hill at the bottom of the field match almost exactly. Wonder how many years separate these views. Wonder if Top-Water just came upon these specific views or if he/she has some personal attachment to that property.

Checking out Google Maps, I'm thinking that the property in posts 4 and 6 might be the one seen here - sitting a stones throw from Roberts Cove Road. By zooming onto the house in Maps, I'm guessing it could be a more modern rebuild of what was there in the past. Is anyone on the forum familiar enough with this area to say?

Other clues. There's stone walls on each side of the road as you can see in post 4 and on Google Maps along Roberts Cove Road. Also, and maybe my imagination is getting away from me here, it 'feels' like the road in post 4 is starting to veer ever so slightly to the right as Roberts Cove Road does to swing down around the northeastern side of the cove - just as you can see it does a few hundred feet below the noted house on the map. When you zoom into the map alongside the road next to the house, there are what look to be some sizeable trees. Could one of them be the maple tree we see in post 4? I also tried to zoom in to see if the painter was still there - but he isn't :-)

Forum members...am I right with this or have I gone awry?

One thing seems certain - I have too much time on my hands. Thanks Sandyisl for giving me something to do tonight. Looking forward to more challenges.
Attached Images

Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #14
ApS

Unhappy But Seen from Lake Winnipesaukee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Some of the luckiest people on the lake. To be able to wake up to this every day
Seen from the tip of Rattlesnake Island, the "lawn" is a major cut through forest.

The roadway is, indeed, flanked by stone walls--and has been--before WWII.

Take the loop known as Robert's Cove Road--taking the entrance nearest Alton. (But take special care re-entering Rt. 28 speeders approaching!)

Although this view is a pre-war example, this rampant form of decades-long "Ridge Development" will continue to grow and harm Lake Winnipesaukee's water quality.

I happened upon a for-sale sign on a house with a spectacular view of Lake Wentworth. About eight acres of stumps gave silent witness to the forever cost of "a view of the lake".
Old 01-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #15
Winilyme

Thumbs up Love it

Not sure how you uncovered this video but it shows the field, the house I pointed out above and even a close-up of the road and the stone walls. Well done.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #16
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Excuse the temporary hijacking

Quote:

SandyIs, That is such a shame that you had that experience with TSA, and that should never happen! I am not terribly surprised, however, because the agents watch people FAKING disabilities all day long, day after day, so that they can travel via wheelchair and board first! It is DISGUSTING! The practice sickens people who have consciences because the fakers aren’t fooling everyone, and it tends to make people suspicious of those in a wheelchair. Dishonest and evil practice. Sorry to get emotional....it makes me crazy! ��
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Sandyisl (01-19-2020), Susie Cougar (01-18-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #17
tis

Top Water, if you are still talking about Robert's Cove, yes, Robert's Cove Marina is at the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-19-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:32 AM   #18
ApS

Thumbs up Baby Bass Nursery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
One of my favorite photos of the cove, interesting all that floating junk probably protected the shoreline for years and years and broke up any wave action before folks decided it was icky
Isn't there a little marina or dock system in the very back of this cove? I've forgotten or have it mixed up with another cove.

That "floating junk" looks like an ideal "nursery" for baby Smallmouth Bass.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #19
DBreskin

Quote:

She asked the question if most of the people in wheelchairs going to Florida were just doing it as a scam to get on the plane first.

Many years ago I flew in and out of Florida frequently; this was in the days of Eastern Airlines, and when many flights to or from Florida connected through Atlanta. Flights crews then called the Florida flights “miracle flights” due to the many passengers that needed assistance to board early but were able to walk off the plane by themselves without waiting for a wheelchair.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #20
Susie Cougar

I’ve actually given the subject a lot of thought, recently. It seems to me, that instead of wheelchairs maybe some kind of golf cart transportation that could take several people at a time would make more sense, And leave the wheelchairs to those who really are disabled.
And these people would not be given priority boarding; they would have to get a boarding pass just like everyone else.
Even on a good day, getting through Tampa Airport is really tough for me. I’m always so glad when I finally get to the tram and I can sit down for a minute.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #21
tis

The Robert's are nice people.