Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #101
WinnisquamZ

Winnisquam is still wide open at the state park. Wondering if it will freeze over this year

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #102
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

We drove through Meredith today, and the ice rink area looked awful wet and the water section from the waterfall stretched pretty far. I'm not sure I'd be confident...yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #103
jeffk

Default WMUR - Emerson Aviation called Ice In on Sunday

https://www.wmur.com/article/ice-in-...-2020/30595457

Of course that just means all the Mount's ports are frozen in, not that the whole lake is frozen.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:51 PM   #104
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
https://www.wmur.com/article/ice-in-...-2020/30595457

Of course that just means all the Mount's ports are frozen in,not that the whole lake is frozen.
The mounts ports have nothing to do with “ice in” and WMUR is wrong as usual! Ice in is declared when the entire lake has frozen over which it has. Emerson aviation makes the declaration.

The mounts port are only relevant to ice out...

Dan
Hillcountry (01-21-2020), Resident 2B (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #105
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
The mounts ports have nothing to do with “ice in” and WMUR is wrong as usual! Ice in is declared when the entire lake has frozen over which it has. Emerson aviation makes the declaration.

Dan
Correct. In a prior year open water at the "alien crash site" south west of Welch delayed ice in call even though the mounts ports had been iced in for quite a while.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #106
Mink Islander

Default Lake Conditions

Anyone been cutting any holes near Shep’s or Cattle Landing? Any snow on the ice or is it all blown off/frozen slush? We’ve had some good ice making nights since everything skimmed over Friday night.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #107
Hillcountry

Bunch of guys with snowblowers all over the ice in Meredith today...hockey rinks?
Also a couple of Kubota tractors over closer to Lago humming around the ice...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
PCTim (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #108
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Bunch of guys with snowblowers all over the ice in Meredith today...hockey rinks?
Also a couple of Kubota tractors over closer to Lago humming around the ice...
Yes they are preparing the rinks for the PHC
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #109
Mink Islander

Default Iffy

I drove up to check out the ice this morning over by Cattle Landing, Meredith Neck. While there was a decent amount of ice not far from shore (10 inches with 2-3 slush ice and the rest solid black ice). But... closer to the pinch point between Bear Island and Meredith Neck where the snow was blown off only had 4 inches of black ice. Plenty to hold a person, not enough for me to venture through Cattle Landing given the variability of ice through there.

Another unusual winter folks. Be very cautious on the lake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (01-25-2020), Hillcountry (01-24-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #110
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Probably will need another week. Day time temps aren't really getting far above freezing if at all and night time temps are still good and cold to build more ice just the progress will be slower. The bitter cold day and nights are needed for fast progression and it's just not in the extended forecast.

The window to get back and forth this year is looking like it's going to be pretty tight.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #111
Mink Islander

Default Maybe - fingers crossed

As you say, the near term forecast isn’t going to do much to help. The rain will hurt. I’m not optimistic give the warm days ahead that we’ll get there. And Cattle Landing gets treacherous when the temps yo-yo.

May be one of those rare, lost winters.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #112
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
I drove up to check out the ice this morning over by Cattle Landing, Meredith Neck. While there was a decent amount of ice not far from shore (10 inches with 2-3 slush ice and the rest solid black ice). But... closer to the pinch point between Bear Island and Meredith Neck where the snow was blown off only had 4 inches of black ice. Plenty to hold a person, not enough for me to venture through Cattle Landing given the variability of ice through there.

Another unusual winter folks. Be very cautious on the lake.
So, what is Cattle Landing used for anyway...I finally looked it up on Google Earth and there seems to be a pretty good sized parking lot with one dock...
Is this something for Meredith residents only? Is there a boat ramp?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #113
fatlazyless

Town of Meredith's Cattle Landing has a one acre, dirt parking lot and a concrete floating dock across the road, there. As of today, both the ice eaters are working good and there's a large circle of open water surrounding the town dock.

There is no launch ramp for backing a boat on a boat trailer into the water. What is there is a 60" opening in the blue wood fence atop the smooth grassy embankment, very close to the paved Cattle Landing Rd that allows for unloading and hand carrying a kayak/canoe/paddle board/small row boat/rowing skull to the lake. Two people can carry a canoe down the aluminum staircase, and onto the concrete floating dock for launching. One person can drag or carry a kayak down the 20' long, smooth grassy embankment.

No boat trailer parking, or any type of trailer is allowed in the Cattle Landing parking lot, as indicated by a sign, and the police will enforce this. A small boat dolly that fits through the 60" opening could definitely launch a Laser style sailboat rolled in from the parking lot, and the immediately nearby, big water area to the right or south and out onto Lake Winnipesaukee is like a totally totally totally excellent area for sailing a 12-14' sailboat.

Any restrictions on who may use it? Not really, no restrictions; is a great spot for launching a kayak into the waters of the big lake with the very flat, smooth, shallow sandy bottom and very small sandy beach at the bottom of the embankment, free of rocks, good for getting in/out of a kayak. The Meredith Police are always patrolling this residential area and always take a good look around as they slowly pass on by.

Cattle Landing town dock has been in use for something like 150(?) years, or longer, and get's its' Cattle Landing name because it was once a holding area for cows that got boated across the narrow passage for grazing on nearby Bear Island.

In the past, people used to launch ice shanties through the 60" opening, down the smooth embankment, but that's probably no longer possible with all the ice eater, open water.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-27-2020 at 03:00 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #114
fatlazyless

Say-hey ..... is that a long slice of open water that has recently opened up or something on the Snake Eyes, Rattlesnake Cam, at about 4:45 on Saturday afternoon.

It sure enough looked like open water to me ...... but is a little difficult to say what with the low light and the shades of gray ..... tomorrow's daylight will tell?

Wait and see ...... I say ...... there is new open water on Snake Eyes, tomorrow morning!

..... oopsie-doopsie ........ false alarm here ..... Sunday 7:10-am and Snake Eyes is not showing any open water ..... my bad?

.... say-hey .... lookn again at about 10-am here and it now does look to be the same slice of open water has returned ... that open water slice is alive ... ???

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-26-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #115
TheCaptain

Default Ice Thickness

Walked onto the ice from Rattlesnake landing in West Alton just now with a drill and thickness gauge.... 5" about 10 yards off shore, turned into 4" about 20 yards off shore turned into 3" about 25 yards off shore.
Needless to say, we didn't walk any further. (For all above measurements, there was about 1" of junk, slushy ice on top with black ice underneath). No arctic chill this year, just average night time temperatures are responsible for what we have so far.
Stay safe!!!
TheCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #116
Mink Islander

Default Really Iffy....

Attached is a snapshot from my camera facing north on Mink Island. Looks more like April than January.

I drove up Friday and got on the ice just west of the Cattle Landing parking lot near the first lakeside driveway. Out 100 yards there was a good 10 inches of ice, about 3 of it slush ice though. A few hundred yards further out where the snow had been blown off and it was glare ice, the thickness dropped to a meager 4 inches of all black ice. I opted not to press any further towards the narrows at Cattle Landing to the east since that area is notorious for expansion cracks and ice heaves. Ice thickness can vary a lot through there in a normal year.

I am already giving up on the fishing derby this year. No way we’ll recover from these warm temps by then. The next two weeks with the hockey tournament and the derby bring a lot of folks to the area. I just hope they get the message to be very cautious on the ice this year.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #117
Jeanzb1

I am wondering if the hockey tournament will still take place.....

Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #118
fatlazyless

..... off-topic ALASKA but interesting:

Did you hear the State of Alaska is having its' coldest winter in the last ten years. With temperatures down to -30, Alaskans are retrieving their heavy 'Alaskan' parkas, unused for the last ten years and in storage in the back of the closet, needing them for this winter-2020.

Apparently, the nine winters prior to 2020 were all warmer temperatures, and nine years is long enough for residents to somewhat forget what the cold used to be.

And this winter, 2020, the old fashioned Alaska cold winter is back.

So, who knows, maybe New Hampshire caught the warm winter temps that used to reside in Alaska? .... ???

Note: These 'Alaskan' winter coats while famous for their warmth are also very heavy to wear because they are insulated with whale blubber.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-30-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #119
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Not being glib!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
Somewhat late for posting this, but knew I had seen this opposing information- just couldn't remember where it was.

Read post #62 of this thread (pg.1)- Clarification?

Both points of view are new to me. I've always thought it was all ports, in and out.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #120
Geneva Point

Listen to the WMUR video at post 107. It distinctly says ice in is when the entire lake is frozen. Ishoot was wrong in calling out WMUR. The video implies also that Emerson defines ice in as when whole lake is frozen. Maybe Dave at Emerson or webmaster will chime in and clarify for us.
Geneva Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #121
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva Point View Post
Listen to the WMUR video at post 107. It distinctly says ice in is when the entire lake is frozen. Ishoot was wrong in calling out WMUR. The video implies also that Emerson defines ice in as when whole lake is frozen. Maybe Dave at Emerson or webmaster will chime in and clarify for us.
The video has been edited as it said previously that ice in was when all the mounts ports were frozen which is incorrect....

Dan
Hillcountry (01-28-2020), upthesaukee (01-27-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 07:12 AM   #122
PCTim

Default PHC Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
I am wondering if the hockey tournament will still take place.....

As of right now, it's a yes. All of the teams received this email last night.

The condition of the ice has been variable, at best, and we have chosen not to give daily, or even weekly updates because the fact of the matter is, ice conditions the last few weeks have changed by the hour. As of today, we are enthusiastic and optimistic about the forecasted temperatures, and therefore are moving forward with load-in on Meredith Bay. The Ice Ops are doing everything in their power to make it so we can drop the puck on the 11th Annual Labatt Blue New England Pond Hockey Classic.

With that said, there could very likely be some changes and/or restrictions made to our normal tournament weekend schedule. Please note that any and all changes made to the schedule or tournament play; as well as ice guidelines, are all made with the safety of our participants and spectators in the forefront of our mind. We ask that you bear with us and roll with the punches (may there be any), as we continue our love-hate relationship with Mother Nature.

At this point, we advise you to only bring yourself and your hockey equipment onto the ice. This means NO VEHICLES, NO TRAILERS, NO SHANTY'S AND NO BOB-HOUSES. The tournament will not occur without the compliance from our participants. This will be a year to limit your footprint on the ice and instead enjoy your time in town at many of the local bars & restaurants.

Things will be a bit different this year, but hopefully we can skate. Fingers crossed!
PCTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PCTim For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #123
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
I've been following and posting Ice-Out for about 25 years. Until last year when EA posted it I had never heard of an "official" Ice-In. What makes Ice-In or Out official anyway? It seems to be because traditionally Emerson Aviation decides if the ice is out and we all accept their call as "official". It's all based on tradition. Since we accept Emerson's Ice-Out call it seems that we have now also collectively decided that Emerson's call of Ice-In will also be official. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no "official" document or law that defines what Ice-Out or Ice-In is. It's all made up. For fun!! WMUR does not get to define the official meaning of Ice-In. Emerson Aviation sets the standard and we have all silently agreed to accept it.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (01-28-2020), Pricestavern (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #124
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Smile I shoot

Quote:
Dan's right. WMUR was wrong. Why would you argue with somebody named "Ishoot"? LOL
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #125
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I've been following and posting Ice-Out for about 25 years. Until last year when EA posted it I had never heard of an "official" Ice-In. What makes Ice-In or Out official anyway? It seems to be because traditionally Emerson Aviation decides if the ice is out and we all accept their call as "official". It's all based on tradition. Since we accept Emerson's Ice-Out call it seems that we have now also collectively decided that Emerson's call of Ice-In will also be official. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no "official" document or law that defines what Ice-Out or Ice-In is. It's all made up. For fun!! WMUR does not get to define the official meaning of Ice-In. Emerson Aviation sets the standard and we have all silently agreed to accept it.
I agree with this, but still, we all are familiar with "the ports thing"- where does THIS come into play? It must have started somewhere/sometime!
Old 01-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #126
Jersey Bob

Talking I shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Dan's right. WMUR was wrong. Why would you argue with somebody named "Ishoot"? LOL
I certainly wouldn't question a man of Dan's "caliber"!
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:24 AM   #127
ApS

Red face Sorry for the Semi-Automatic Response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
All this over a bulletin?
Old 01-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #128
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
All this over a bulletin?
I guess they figured it was worth a “shot”
Old 01-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #129
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I guess they figured it was worth a “shot”
And it would appear he shoots a “308” so who are we to argue??
Old 01-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #130
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Slow news day

Ports of call? On a slow news day, watching ice freeze is far more exciting than whatever stories those DC meatballs are making up. By the time they get anything positive done, the Mount will be doing her regular route to all ports of call. Anybody for April 1st?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #131
PCTim

Default PHC Update

For those of you heading to Meredith this weekend.
https://www.pondhockeyclassic.com/ph...p-restrictions
PCTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:15 AM   #132
fatlazyless

While the frozen lake is not an ice rink surface that gets redone every 30-minutes with a Zamboni, the natural ice surface is looking very hard and very, very smooth what with the last warm-up and rain that left the ice surface a shiny smooth, smooth enough for sailing it in an ice sail boat.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-30-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #133
snowflake

Unhappy Ice in

Did I miss it, has ice in been officially declared??? Was it declared on 1/19/2020? Thanks. Here in Boston I don't think we're having a real winter this year!
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:58 PM   #134
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
Did I miss it, has ice in been officially declared??? Was it declared on 1/19/2020? Thanks. Here in Boston I don't think we're having a real winter this year!
More "unofficially" declared mostly because it does not mean the lake is "safe" but merely ice covered.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #135
Lakegeezer

Default Truck on the ice

Someone obviously believed in ice-in today. He had an ice augur and apparently got away with it.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #136
Mink Islander

Default Be careful out there!

Two guys on atvs were caught on my camera a short while ago headed over towards the Indian head rock on the east side of Bear Island (Camp Lawrence). I suspect it’s the same guys who fished there often last winter. I have no doubt there’s at least 4 inches in that general area, but.... it’s going to stay warm through the next week and rain so these already marginal conditions could deteriorate rapidly as we head into the derby weekend. I fear we are going to see a repeat of a couple years ago with the unfamiliar or the overly brazen making very bad decisions and paying for it with their lives. Hope I’m wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-01-2020), Top-Water (02-02-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #137
MAXUM

Quite true, can tell you the ice conditions are sketchy and due caution is essential. Out on Bear Island for the weekend, walked out and was very careful to stick to good solid areas, where the ice is averaging between 6" - 10". That said there are a number of stress ridges and even from a distance did not look smart to approach in fact there is a area of open water on the south side of Pine right at the gap with Bear so stayed way clear of all that.

FYI getting on at Shep's is a no go. Not safe to get on near the docks where access is typically made.

Today there were a number of people out joyriding on quads out from 3 mile to 5 mile and everywhere in between. They are out of their minds. With warm weather returning this may be my only trip out this winter.

That said, beautiful day to be out on the island
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-02-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #138
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
Two guys on atvs were caught on my camera a short while ago headed over towards the Indian head rock on the east side of Bear Island (Camp Lawrence). I suspect it’s the same guys who fished there often last winter. I have no doubt there’s at least 4 inches in that general area, but.... it’s going to stay warm through the next week and rain so these already marginal conditions could deteriorate rapidly as we head into the derby weekend. I fear we are going to see a repeat of a couple years ago with the unfamiliar or the overly brazen making very bad decisions and paying for it with their lives. Hope I’m wrong.
Well stated!
Old 02-02-2020, 02:29 AM   #139
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Looks like ATVs through the ice: https://m.facebook.com/groups/204166...74658532848681

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by thinkxingu; 02-02-2020 at 06:51 AM.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #140
NHgirl

Default Ice

I have a feeling there might be an early ice-out. Don't quote me though. With temperatures above freezing. Anything could happen
NHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #141
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default From Alton PD FB page

From the Alton PD FB page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...32378813740945

Read and heed.

Dave
ishoot308 (02-02-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #142
fatlazyless

Sunday, Feb 2, 2020: Crawford Pond in Bangor, Maine; two atv's fell through the ice and no one drowned, with one rescued hanging onto the ice by a local deputy sheriff.

Story in www.bangordailynews.com

For just five dollars, a home made noodle belt with a line threaded down the center hole, worn around your waist and under your coat, will probably keep you afloat. By wearing it under your coat, it cannot be seen that you is wearing a noodle belt. Once in the water, the waist noodle belt will probably rise up to be under your arms and arm pits, allowing for strong use of your arms and hands.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #143
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
From the Alton PD FB page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...32378813740945

Read and heed.

Dave
Thanks for posting this Dave!

I too certainly hope everyone heeds this warning! I was on the ice for a little bit this past weekend and the conditions are not good at all! Whatever ice that is there is not good and very soft.

With this weeks mild temps and the upcoming derby this weekend, conditions are prime for accidents to happen. The only thing that will make it worse is if we get a snowfall over this unsafe ice which is what it's looking like this Friday!...

If your venturing on the ice please be aware and stay safe everyone!

Dan
Hillcountry (02-03-2020), upthesaukee (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #144
Andromeda321

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHgirl View Post
I have a feeling there might be an early ice-out. Don't quote me though. With temperatures above freezing. Anything could happen
I might be weird but I saw the ice out guess page was up, looked up the 2016 ice out date that was the earliest ever, and chose one even before that. It's just impossible for me to believe at this rate that the ice will last until April.
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #145
MAXUM

Have a feeling emergency crews will be busy plucking people out of the water this weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-04-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #146
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

OMG, do NOT laugh at FLL and his noodles. I just read that a noodle belt was used in a rescue Saturday!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Diana (02-03-2020), JEEPONLY (02-04-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #147
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
OMG, do NOT laugh at FLL and his noodles. I just read that a noodle belt was used in a rescue Saturday!
I saw that in an article on Facebook. Rescue was in Warren Maine. Thought of FLL immediately.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-04-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #148
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I thought of him immediately too, Janet.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-04-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #149
baastan

Default Ice thickness thread???

Is there a thread where people report ice thickness / safety? If so could someone point it out to me please?

I am more concerned about the ability for snowmobile travel on the lake, in the harbors and bay areas. I'll assume the broads will just be deemed unsafe this year again.

Also this snow right before ice derby weekend is both good and bad, good for riding, but awful due to how it played out a few years ago.

Thoughts and help are always appreciated.
baastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #150
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by baastan View Post
Is there a thread where people report ice thickness / safety? If so could someone point it out to me please?

I am more concerned about the ability for snowmobile travel on the lake, in the harbors and bay areas. I'll assume the broads will just be deemed unsafe this year again.

Also this snow right before ice derby weekend is both good and bad, good for riding, but awful due to how it played out a few years ago.

Thoughts and help are always appreciated.
Unfortunately no one is going to give you that information this year. Check the ice thickness yourself before you head out. Nothing is considered safe unless it’s self checked. Believe no one but yourself!!

Dan
Old 02-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #151
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Better to be safe than sorry. I would stay off the big lake if I were you.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote