Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
codeman671

Default Best streaming option?

A few different threads have touched on this but I am not really clear on what the differences/options are.

We have a 25MBps dsl line in Gilford. On an island so ABB is not an option.

We used to have Directv but after selling the property the buyer took the dish down. We originally went with it as streaming wasn’t really a thing, plus we could use the same service on both homes with extra boxes on our account.

After a strange turn of events we are back in our old island home
and need a tv solution. I don’t think putting a dish back up is the best choice any longer.

We have Comcast at home, not sure if I can somehow stream that at the lake as well?

We have 2 TVs. Not opposed to changing them out as they are 5-6 year old led technology so built in web functionality wasn’t what it is today.

Looking for all or as much of the usual stuff as possible. Local news, NESN,
Hgtv, espn, etc. We do get free Netflix with Comcast,
not sure but I should be able to access that up there. Free Hulu as well thanks to my daughter being a student so we can share the login.

Any advice for different tv/hardware options or packages that will give the best bang for the buck?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Get a Roku streaming stick which goes into one of your HDMI inputs and hooks up wirelessly to your home network. I have one at home on an older non smart TV and it's just like the new ones with it built in. Very easy to setup and use.

From there you have access to all the streaming content providers out there, some free some have a monthly subscription. If you want live TV, there are options such as Directv NOW, YouTube TV or Sling just to name a few.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:05 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Agree with the ROKU.

We use it for YouTube TV at home also Amazon Prime TV.
https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

We will also use a ROKU on Welch with DSL. One nice thing about YouTube TV is that up to 3 devices can stream at once. Devices can be TY, tablet, phone or computer. You can use the same account anywhere in the US, only local channels will change.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Agree with the ROKU.

We use it for YouTube TV at home also Amazon Prime TV.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

We will also use a ROKU on Welch with DSL. One nice thing about YouTube TV is that up to 3 devices can stream at once. Devices can be TY, tablet, phone or computer. You can use the same account anywhere in the US, only local channels will change.
$50/month is rich for just local, or am I missing something? We don't have TV or Internet at camp--just a DVD player--but my father pays $50/mth. for Spectrum internet. I'd probably just add lifeline cable and either Netflix, HBOGO, or Prime. With the first and last, you can download shows to tablets for on-the-road viewing. With Prime, you'd have access to essentially every movie produced--some for free, some for streaming with a fee.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #5
The Real BigGuy

If you have Comcast at home get a “smart” tv and you can stream many of the channels you pay for at home at no additional cost (i.e., hbo, cnn, Fox, etc.) Local channels are more of an issue for all their programming but I can stream one or two of the local news casts.

I watch the Red Sox on TV (again at no additional charge because I have them on cable at home) using the NESNgo app using a Chromecast stick to cast from my phone (my smart tv wasn’t able to add the app) and will watch the Celtics (if they get far enough in the playoffs) the same way using the NBC My Teams app. (I think you can watch the Bruins the same way.

By the way, I’m on an island with dsl.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
betterthanbacon (01-30-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
The Real BigGuy

Forgot, I also use Roku for premium channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

I have really tried it all while I attempt to find the best streaming solution that can hopefully allow me to cut the cord.

I have 3 Rokus running in my house: an Ultra, an Express and a Streaming Stick. I also have a new Apple TV and an Amazon Fire TV Stick (now on the shelf). The Roku Ultra is expensive ($88 on Amazon) but has more powerful and faster hardware. The Ultra also has a wired ethernet port and the ability to attach an external USB drive to use as a DVR. Switching channels and navigating is noticeably faster on the Ultra. The Express and Streaming Stick work fine too but they are more basic and not as robust as the Ultra. The Amazon Fire TV Stick was my least favorite player.

I have tried DTV, Youtube TV and Sling. I have settled on Youtube TV as the best service. Their UI is great and the video quality is fantastic. One test I've used to compare the services and media players is how fast you can "surf" from channel to channel.

I find that the Apple TV is the best media player for Youtube TV. I can switch channels almost instantly on the Apple TV while my other media players show a spinning circle for several seconds between channels. If you like to surf invest in a faster media player! The touchpad remote on the Apple TV is also much better than the others (once you get used to it!).

One area where Youtube TV is superior is the DVR (Library) function. It is unlimited although you can only store programs for 9 months. It is interesting how it works. When you tell it to record an episode it fills in your library with ALL the recent and future episodes. It won't just record a single episode unless it is a one-off show. Also, if you hit record in the middle of a show it automatically looks for a replay of the show and fills in the Library version from the beginning. I've seen complaints about the DVR service on other streaming services. Youtube TV really nailed it.

Starting last weekend I hid the Comcast remotes and we are only using Youtube TV. It's a test to see if it will work for us on a daily basis and to see if my wife can adjust to it and find her beloved HGTV, Lifetime, Sox games, etc. One thing about Youtube TV is that it doesn't have channel numbers. The navigation is more like Netflix and takes some adjusting to. After 3 days we've had no problem navigating Youtube TV, mostly on the Roku Ultra.

My advice is to not go cheap on the media player. A Roku Express is under $30 but if you are going to use it for years it would be best to invest a little more in a premium player like a Roku Ultra or an Apple TV if you can fit it into your budget.

This is just my opinion based on several months of testing various services and media players. Your results may vary.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (04-20-2019), BroadHopper (04-17-2019), codeman671 (04-17-2019), Crusty (04-17-2019), CTYankee (04-17-2019), Flylady (04-19-2019), Jersey Bob (04-17-2019), trfour (04-17-2019), Y2K (01-28-2020)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #8
rick35

Default Laptop works with Comcast remotely

You might consider using a laptop with an HDMI jack. There's a comcast app that works with the roku stick but it only works at home. If you connect a laptop you can use the comcast dvr as well as on demand. I'm not sure about live TV. And you can run other apps like Netflix as well. I thought about buying one of those small Windows pc devices but I have an older laptop that works fine.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Windows 10

The OS has the software to stream through your LAN media content to another device that has streaming software. I use it daily to my Vizio TV that has a streaming app as well as the Roku stick on 'dum' TV.

If you don't have a LAN, you can connect the laptop directly to roku providing the laptop has access to the internet.

I had KODI on the Roku stick. It's not recommended because of the processing speed so KODI is on my laptop.

My son-in-law has the firestick. He says it has the same capability.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:17 AM   #10
Rich

If you won't be "cutting the cord" at home, I can suggest a Slingbox (not SlingTv). www.slingbox.com. There is no monthly fee, cost of entry is just a one time purchase the required hardware adapter.

It allows you to stream your own cable box output anywhere in the world. The only downside is that both the remote viewer and anyone at home must watch the same content as it simply streams whatever channel your cable box is currently viewing.

The remote interface is a little clunky, but if your cable box has a remote control app, you can use that to surf of change channels, it's very usable (Comcast has this and it works well).

It's capable of streaming lower resolutions for bandwidth limited connectivity.

Most streaming adapters include a Slingbox app so it's easy to watch on a remote TV with a Roku, FireTV, Apple TV, etc. You can also watch on any phone or tablet without the need for a TV at all.

http://www.slingbox.com/BigCable.aspx
Old 04-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Cable providers

Atlantic Broadband has a website that allows you to watch your prescribed channels on your laptop, desktop ,tablet. Comcast has a similar website as well as a phone app. I 'stream' the content from my device to my tv via mediacast.
This way I can choose the channel I want to watch at the moment.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
4 for Boating

Default Another Slingbox Vote

I too have a Slingbox back at my primary home (Xfinity) and when we visit our place in NH (Atlantic Broadband) we are able to view everything from home. Including DVR recordings. It works well as we are never at the same place at the same time.

Agreed the remote is a little slow/clunky (we used a Fire Stick attached to the TV) but for the cost of just unlimited high speed (Atlantic BB) service in NH we have fast Wifi/internet connection and all the TV we have at home.

To date, we have been able to always watch the TV stream in HD - and that's with two kids most likely streaming YouTube videos at the same time - joke.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #13
Orion

Default Tablo DVR streaming

I've tried most of the solutions over the years and have finally found my ideal solution for streaming my local OTA channels (28 channels in central MA) to my island house which has DSL.

I have an large antenna in my attic in my MA home that I installed 30 years ago and am using a 4-channel DVR from Tablo which I'm finding is pretty much flawless in operation. I can record up to 4 channels simultaneously and play everything on it back via streaming to anywhere in the house (any smart TV or AppleTV) or stream over the web to the island with full control of the DVR remotely. I can even stream live channels from the Tablo.

With this I have all Boston and Providence channels available to me at the lake for free (hardware cost and small optional guide fee). I HAVE CUT THE CORD. I also use AppleTV for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime so it makes a nice integrated solution with all my recorded shows no matter where I am. Requires about minimum 3Mbps stream.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #14
trfour

Also; https://www.zdnet.com/article/10-bes...-cord-cutters/

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
Geneva Point

We just called and received wifi and steaming for $77/month with Spectrum. Local channels included plus long list of other channels. No contract. No cable.
Geneva Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Spectrum says it is not available in Meredith.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #17
Purplehayes

For the folks with Slingbox. I have read a bunch of reviews that say they are forcing advertisements and pop up ads while streaming. Are you not experiencing this? This option, absent the advertisements seems to me to be a decent one.

However, I recently got Spectrum internet for a house in Moultonborough. There is no required contract and the same for cable service. I was considering simply getting the cable box from them with no contract and can turn off and on by day if wanted for cable service. I confirmed (multiple times now) that they will prorate the bill daily. I am primarily interested in getting NESN for the Red Sox games. Cost was $1.35 or so per day for the package I wanted.

Streaming from my phone through mirrorcast or other always seems to present some challenges.
Purplehayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #18
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva Point View Post
We just called and received wifi and steaming for $77/month with Spectrum. Local channels included plus long list of other channels. No contract. No cable.
What do they give you for a streaming box? Is it just like a cable box?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #19
4 for Boating

Default Slingbox

We don't see any advertisements when we watch (we see exactly what we would see at home on each station) but the setup may have something to do with that:

> Atlantic Broadband in NH - Unlimited and very fast - $52 per month
> Slingbox back home - Unlimited Xfintiy (also fast) with DVR box (Cost a fortune!!!!)
> Firestick attached to TV via HDMI in NH - $39

We use the fire stick and it's remote to stream directly into the TV.
No PC, tablet or casting to Apple TV...

Works well for us but again, every situation is different.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #20
Purplehayes

Which Slingbox model are you using? There a few options available.
Purplehayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #21
4 for Boating

Default Slingbox

We are using the 500 at home - I cannot really recall why we picked that over the others.

One aspect (there is always something) that I will say/recall is many of the movie channels like HBO and Showtime block this type of solution on the HDMI channel even though it's legal. Slingbox recommends the use of Component (HD) in between your cable box and the sling box as it has no restrictions and will not/cannot be blocked by any HDMI security protocol. This also requires your cable box to have Component (the green / blue / red) output.

You can find many articles on this online and I think it's best to do a little homework on the hookup before purchase to assure everything will connect together as desired.

Once it's going, it has been flawless for us - over 1.5 years now
Old 04-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts
Default Slingbox

I've had a Slingbox for years and use it frequently. They have added ads to their Slingplayer but I haven't seen any ads on the stream itself yet. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they added them.

I also use the component input so I haven't seen any of the HDMI blocking mentioned.

Even with some ads sneaking in I'm still a big fan of the Slingbox.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:52 AM   #23
Rich

I think it would be hard for them to add advertising to the stream, as it's basically a live stream of your source.

Additional content such as an advertisement in the stream would bugger up the rest of the stream. It's not like a recording that they can simply append advertising and make one particular show run longer.

I don't think that the Slingbox hardware has enough storage to support this, it has enough for buffering, but probably not enough for extending content.

I could be wrong of course.

If there was any advertising, it could be a one time thing as you first go to start a stream, or perhaps as you switch a channel, or as any rebuffering occurs, but probably not during a live stream.

Of course they could force it to occur, but then customers would loose content at that time and it would be so annoying people would stop using it! Imagine if it occurred right as a touchdown was to occur, how happy would you be?!?!? Probably won't happen!
Old 04-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #24
SachemIslander

Default Are you aware of DSL upgrades?

Is anyone aware of upgrades or options other than Fairpoint DSL on the islands. We are on Mink and stuck at just a few MBPS. We have two pipes because they could only get us something like 3 or 4 MBPS. I now have too slow pipes instead of one. Any better options out there? TIA
SachemIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #25
ApS

Wink At&t...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Atlantic Broadband has a website that allows you to watch your prescribed channels on your laptop, desktop ,tablet. Comcast has a similar website as well as a phone app. I 'stream' the content from my device to my tv via mediacast.
This way I can choose the channel I want to watch at the moment.
I was just checking the countless, multiple, terrible, 1-star reviews of my nearest factory AT&T store.

One reviewer says, "AT&T needs a new slogan. I propose, 'AT&T isn't the best, but we're not Comcast'"