Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
ushaggerb

Default Does anyone remember tackling the Mount Washington's wake on waterskis?

Just wondering if folks remember when the Mount Washington travelled at a higher speed how big that wake was. We used to tug a waterskier straight into it, see if they could survive. More bellyflops than success.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

The Mount's wake was bigger when she was shorter. However, from a water skier point of view, the Sophie C had a bigger wake, i.e. higher, steeper. In the day, the Doris E was still the "General"and rarely seen. If you lived/skied in the Wolfeboro or Alton Bay areas, you never saw the Sophie C. Bigger wakes than the Mount's also came from large cabin cruisers which were also more common on the western side of the lake in the 50's and 60's.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (06-19-2019), steve c (06-19-2019), TiltonBB (07-09-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

I have to agree with Descant. I grew up on The Broads and skied wakes whenever I get a chance. Doris E is the 'General' although I believe the 'King' was the old Uncle Sam. The 'Great Escape' was also impressive.

Today, the new ski boats with water bladders, are the wake masters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The Mount's wake was bigger when she was shorter. However, from a water skier point of view, the Sophie C had a bigger wake, i.e. higher, steeper. In the day, the Doris E was still the "General"and rarely seen. If you lived/skied in the Wolfeboro or Alton Bay areas, you never saw the Sophie C. Bigger wakes than the Mount's also came from large cabin cruisers which were also more common on the western side of the lake in the 50's and 60's.
garysanfran (06-19-2019), steve c (06-19-2019), ushaggerb (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
steve c

The Mount's "wake" is really the bow wave. As a fan tail there really is no wake off the stern.
steve c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
Islandbum

Default No but my whaler would launch

Back when the mount used to make larger wakes....mid 80s and earlier, we would hit those waves in my whaler and get3-4 foot of air. Ahhhhh the good ole days when we were in invincible or just dumb.
We also used to hold up a stuffed barracuda for the tourists aboard the mount.
Wonder how many photos were taken of me and grandpa doing that.
Islandbum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Islandbum For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
rozbeezer

Back in the '80's we would follow the Mount around the north side of Bear Island and my two sons would ski over the wake and wave to all the passengers. Great times gone by!
rozbeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
Dianne Bagley

Default 1963 relay races Paugus Bay during the race I did ski over the Mount's wake!

Hi , I was also on a slalom ski! Not fun.
Does any remember how many Miles the females skied and how many Miles the guys skied ? If any one has pictures or newspaper article ? 1963 &1964 relay races Paugus Bay !
Thanks
Dianne Bagley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushaggerb View Post
Just wondering if folks remember when the Mount Washington travelled at a higher speed how big that wake was. We used to tug a waterskier straight into it, see if they could survive. More bellyflops than success.
Dianne Bagley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne Bagley For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Descant

Default No Mount in Paugus Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Bagley View Post
Does any remember how many Miles the females skied and how many Miles the guys skied ? If any one has pictures or newspaper article ? 1963 &1964 relay races Paugus Bay !
Thanks
Dianne Bagley
I don't recall any races in Paugus Bay, and certainly the Mount was never in Paugus Bay. The girls skied from Weirs Bay to Meredith Bay and back. 8 miles. The guys skied from the Weirs on varying courses out towards Alton and Wolfeboro and back.
I think in 1964, Goodhue Boat Yard sponsored a two day 120 mile marathon to commemorate John Goodhue's 60th birthday and 120 years in business. 60 miles Sat and 60 miles Sun. Very rough both days and several boats did not finish. I believe Paige Callahan used to ski the long route with the guys, whole distance slalom, and I think there were other girls who did the long route too.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I remember the big waves the Mount used to make. Lots of boats wanted to go over them. I don't think water skiing over them would be so much fun.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
Just Sold

Smile

Back in the 60's jumping the Mounts wake was done a lot. Once in a while some would cut across the bow. All I can say it was great fun back then with LC driving but the long talk with the MP in Alton Bay was not.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Does any remember how many Miles the females skied and how many Miles the guys skied ? If any one has pictures or newspaper article ? 1963 &1964 relay races Paugus Bay!
Can't recall races in Paugus Bay. The marathons were on Winnisquam and Winnipesaukee. Exhibition skiing were on Opechee, Alton Bay and Long Bay in Wolfeboro. I believe there was a national exhibition in Lake Opechee in the 50's

Winnisquam Ski and Boat Club have races off of Bartlett Beach in Laconia
Winnipesaukee WS Racing was in front of the Weirs. Most races head down Meredith Bay and return. The marathons 60 and 30 were from the Weirs around Steamboat Island to Meredith and return! A significant feat attracting skiers from all over the country! In the 70's ski boats were drag boats with 800 HP engines pushing 125 mph! Catalina harness and Maharaja long boards was a must have!
Yes Diane, there were girls in the race! Somewhat intimidating the boys! They can hold their own!
Old 01-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #12
Descant

Quote:
Thanks
Dianne Bagley
Most of the "mixed" races had girls skiing from Weirs to Meredith and return, 8 miles. The guys then skied 24 miles, into the broads and return, various routes. There were also single marathons of varying distances, 30-50 miles. I recall Paige Callahan sling those entire races, slalom. The biggest, at least in distance, was 120 miles sponsored by Goodhue Boat yard, commemorating Captain Jack's 60th birthday, and 120 years in business. Two days, sixty miles each day. It was very rough, and many teams did not finish. I drove in that race and did OK as I had a deep vee hull. where most ski boats are flat bottomed. Faster, no wake and no good in big whitecaps.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Was in one

As I remember my one and only, it was from the Weirs around Rattlesnake (between Sleepers and Rattlesnake and a left turn into the Broads and back. I think I went from a 32 in sleeve to a 34 in sleeve in a day. Endurance race didn't even begin to cover it.

Dave
Old 01-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #14
RoBe

Smile

Around 1970, I competed in the 32 mi and 50 mi marathon. As I recall, the 50 miler went from Weirs out to Middle Ground Shoals around Rattlesnake back to Weirs, and again back around Rattlesnake to finish at Weirs. Long bumpy runs across the Broads on saturday morning. Whoa, 50 years ago...
RoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoBe For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #15
JG1222

This photo was me about to do just that in Meredith Bay with the Sophie in 1990-ish. We would vacation in the condos off Water Street and just wait for the bigger boats to come through. You can see St. Charles (Church Landing) in the background.
Attached Images

JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JG1222 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-04-2020), Top-Water (01-03-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #16
Kerk

Default Paugus Bay Ski Jump

I remember using the Paugus Bay Ski Jump -- with permission in the 50's It was just off the Park as you headed up the bay towards Laconia. Great memories. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #17
Descant

Default "Channel Ski Club"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
I remember using the Paugus Bay Ski Jump -- with permission in the 50's It was just off the Park as you headed up the bay towards Laconia. Great memories. kerk
Probably the same jump, acquired by the Channel Ski Club, around 1963. I learned to jump there. When I was 16, I started working 6 days in a restaurant; on the 7th day, I taught water skiing at a boys camp.