Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
aydinlik

Default trespassers

I installed a security camera few months a go. I noticed that same people came to my property couple of times when i was not there. They walked around for some reason. I have two pictures from two different times. I find this very creepy. Their face is very clear on the camera but i really don't know who they are. Did you guys witness anything like this before? We are often at the property with our car parked in front. They dont stop by those times. So it is hard to believe that they are coming to introduce themselves . They also take their time walking around on my back yard etc. weird!!!

Last edited by aydinlik; 12-01-2019 at 06:29 PM.
aydinlik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aydinlik For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydinlik View Post
I installed a security camera few months a go. I noticed that same people came to my property when i am not there walking around for some reason. I have two pictures from two different times. I find this very creepy. I put some poles at the entrance because i wont be around for a while but they went in anyways. They came with their car first time and parked it but i can't read their licence plate. Second time they don't have a car. Their face is very clear on the camera but i really don't know who they are. Did you guys wittiness anything like this before? How can i identify them? They are very likely a neighbor. I just want to now what their deal is. We are often at the property with our car parked in front. They dont stop by those times. So it is hard to believe that they are coming to introduce themselves . They also take their time walking around on my back yard etc. weird!!!
Possible it is town assessors ? They claim the won't violate your property if it has no trespassing signs, plainly visible. Otherwise, share the pics with the police.
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
Possible it is town assessors ? They claim the won't violate your property if it has no trespassing signs, plainly visible. Otherwise, share the pics with the police.
Older couple. One of the visit occured today. I am sure they are not the assessors.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Bear Islander

New Hampshire has a rather unusual trespass law. Essentially a person can walk around your property unless you inform them not to. You can "inform" them by means of signs, a fence or just telling them.

https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa.../635/635-2.htm
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Older couple. One of the visit occured today. I am sure they are not the assessors.

I would share a video clip with the police for a repeated event like this. Not in a panic but in a wondering what is going on conversation. Maybe a harmless visit, maybe not.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
8gv

Not all stuff like this leads to a crime but...

I suspect that many crimes start off like this.

Call the cops, show the video.

The visitors may already be known to them.

About their age...

Criminals get old too!
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Creepy, to put it mildly

Quote:

My question is this: “what are you waiting for?” Take your information to the police. You have a perfect right to feel spooked. JMO. Many of us live in rather remote areas, and having odd trespassers is cause for concern.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
WinnisquamZ

Had similar issue with a car turning around in my driveway. We are located halfway down a dead end with better driveways for turning before and after ours. Took screenshots to the local PD. Told me they would take care of it. Issue resolved

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
I installed a security camera few months a go. I noticed that same people came to my property couple of times when i was not there. They walked around for some reason. I have two pictures from two different times. I find this very creepy. Their face is very clear on the camera but i really don't know who they are. Did you guys witness anything like this before? We are often at the property with our car parked in front. They dont stop by those times. So it is hard to believe that they are coming to introduce themselves . They also take their time walking around on my back yard etc. weird!!!
Definitely odd. What Town is this occurring in?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #10
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I would share a video clip with the police for a repeated event like this. Not in a panic but in a wondering what is going on conversation. Maybe a harmless visit, maybe not.
Don't bother, the cops can and will do nothing.

Then again, maybe there's an APB on g-ma and g-pa?
Old 12-01-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Definitely odd. What Town is this occurring in?
Gilford

Old 12-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #12
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
My question is this: “what are you waiting for?” Take your information to the police. You have a perfect right to feel spooked. JMO. Many of us live in rather remote areas, and having odd trespassers is cause for concern.
I will contact the police tomorrow. We are in are in a residential area but with high food traffic. Initially we thought they were just curious as we are having major construction done outside. Most people stop and talk to us if we are outside. But these two people came twice now, when we are not there. This second time we had a rope blocking the entrance and they went over the rope barrier to get down to our deck.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
I will contact the police tomorrow. We are in are in a residential area but with high food traffic. Initially we thought they were just curious as we are having major construction done outside. Most people stop and talk to us if we are outside. But these two people came twice now, when we are not there. This second time we had a rope blocking the entrance and they went over the rope barrier to get down to our deck.

The walking around is weird, but once they cross a barrier it's not cool at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #14
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:

Even if these people have no malicious intent and are just curious, they should know better than to trespass where it’s obvious that they don’t belong. It’s unfortunate that people feel entitled to do what they want.
The police should be able to help you....it’s the right thing to do.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I have seen that often when construction is going on. People tend to think it gives them license to trespass. I guess. I watched a house near me that was being built and lots of people checked it out. I was also told when our house was being built that people walked through often when we weren't there and that was years ago. I just don't understand.....
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #16
Liquorish

Have had the same thing at our property in Meredith, actually had someone try to open the front door! They first knocked, then tried opening, talk about creepy. Took the footage to MPD, unfortunately my camera couldn’t make out the plate. We were undergoing renovations, but that still doesn’t give them the right to trespass.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,618 Times in 560 Posts

Couple of old farts just being nosy.Since it was in broad daylight and they weren't carrying burglar tools,I'd call it rude but nothing to be alarmed about.I'd post a no trespassing sign when you're away
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:45 AM   #18
Wifi-1

No trespassing sign is a good idea, especially if they get hurt in your renovation and decide you are liable... Lots of twisted thinking in people, these days.
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #19
Trail Goer

Go to the police, that should be your first order of business.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #20
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Friendly approach

We don't really know, but I'm guessing you have more land than a single family house lot in a development. "No Trespassing" signs seem so unfriendly. How about "Hunting and other access by permission" or signs that let people know you're a life member of the NRA ? I agree with others that a talk with police can't hurt. If you're away a lot, they'll probably do house checks for you. For real fun, there are security systems that allow you to talk/listen to somebody in camera range with a phone app.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #21
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Goer View Post
Go to the police, that should be your first order of business.
No crime was committed.

Case closed.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #22
Mr. V

Quote:
I installed a security camera few months a go. I noticed that same people came to my property couple of times when i was not there. They walked around for some reason. I have two pictures from two different times.
Post the pics.

Who knows, small town, you might get a hit.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #23
Lakegeezer

Default Keep recordings private - unless...

NH has an open land policy, allowing people to go on property that is not posted. In the woods, this makes sense. When people start getting close to homes, it can get creepy, but is still legal, as long as they are not entering buildings. Liability may be a concern of property owners, but NH laws address this. Because the state economy depends on recreational use of land and cooperative land owners, liability laws shield the land owner from most recreation use liability issues. Details can be read at http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...212/212-34.htm

When your security camera records someone "recreating", you have evidence that you are sharing your land and helping to keep NH the special place that it is. Thank you! If you don't want to participate in the open land policy, put up signs. If the camera records someone entering buildings or damaging your property, you have evidence if you decide to report it.

You probably won't get in trouble recording video on your private property, but may want to make it clear by putting up a "security cameras in use" sign, especially if you want to post pictures of people walking by. If you record people on neighboring property or erotic sights or sounds, it is best to keep the recordings to your self, so you don't run afoul of the NH privacy laws http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../644/644-9.htm
Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #24
Trail Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
No crime was committed.

Case closed.
I never said a crime was committed. But a phone call to the police is warranted because, you have no idea what those people are up too. It allows them to at least look into it before a potential crime is committed.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #25
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Post the pics.

Who knows, small town, you might get a hit.
Actually not a bad idea...There are a lot of Gilford residents on this forum and it's a small town. It could be just nosy retired neighbors that need to understand they are being watched. No harm no foul but once they know I guarantee they would not return...

Dan
Old 12-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #26
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Gobbledegook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
NH has an open land policy, allowing people to go on property that is not posted. In the woods, this makes sense. When people start getting close to homes, it can get creepy, but is still legal, as long as they are not entering buildings. Liability may be a concern of property owners, but NH laws address this. Because the state economy depends on recreational use of land and cooperative land owners, liability laws shield the land owner from most recreation use liability issues. Details can be read at http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...212/212-34.htm

When your security camera records someone "recreating", you have evidence that you are sharing your land and helping to keep NH the special place that it is. Thank you! If you don't want to participate in the open land policy, put up signs. If the camera records someone entering buildings or damaging your property, you have evidence if you decide to report it.

You probably won't get in trouble recording video on your private property, but may want to make it clear by putting up a "security cameras in use" sign, especially if you want to post pictures of people walking by. If you record people on neighboring property or erotic sights or sounds, it is best to keep the recordings to your self, so you don't run afoul of the NH privacy laws http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../644/644-9.htm
I am sorry, but it’s absolute nonsense that a property owner would be expected to make special concessions for someone “recreating” on his land!
That cannot be correct....please, someone, say it isn’t so. Trust me: if I see someone lurking on my property, 911 will be the action to take, and if anyone feels victimized by this, too bad! 🤨
Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #27
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I have seen that often when construction is going on. People tend to think it gives them license to trespass. I guess. I watched a house near me that was being built and lots of people checked it out. I was also told when our house was being built that people walked through often when we weren't there and that was years ago. I just don't understand.....
I always stop and look. Thanks.

I try to learn from the mistakes others make in building a new house.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #28
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
I always stop and look. Thanks.

I try to learn from the mistakes others make in building a new house.
What does stopping and looking mean here? Would you go on the deck? How about circling around the house with heavy machinery and big boulders around?

Old 12-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #29
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I agree. My contractor told me we got many visitors during construction. That was the reason i installed the camera. My contractor also told me that some of the visitors also used his porta potty. Unreal! Camera is very visible and i haven't seen anybody else visiting. I think it deters people except these two. They don't seem to care.

The Following User Says Thank You to aydinlik For This Useful Post:
tis (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #30
gravy boat

Default Snoopers

I would post the video here and on the Winni FB pages - like someone said, it is a small town here. And if they hear they're being called out on the behavior they will likely mind their business. GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #31
ITD

Put some of these around. Looks like you are having work done, probably a neighbor checking it out. Figure out who it is and go check them out.

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Mot...403979&sr=8-10
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
map (12-15-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #32
umbrellapoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Put some of these around. Looks like you are having work done, probably a neighbor checking it out. Figure out who it is and go check them out.

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Mot...403979&sr=8-10
I'm going to rig one of those to my boat and see if it keeps the seagulls away!!!
umbrellapoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #33
Bigstan

Assuming you have wifi there I would invest in a slightly better camera or two to at least cover the doors. Rings are pretty good value (and better than Blink or anything in the sub $100 range). After trying a few brands that's what I use now, and I am still amazed how many people come right up to the property, look in a window, and yes - try a door.

Asking them from the office 100 miles away if I can help them somehow has caused them all to go away and not return, most with an excuse of how there was an open house nearby and they are just looking around, sorry I lost my dog, how nice the decorating is and we just had to see (we're sorry to bother you), etc. Even if 99.99% are harmless all it takes is one...
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Givemethewholeclam (12-15-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #34
ApS

Arrow "Privacy" Works Both Ways...

After the destruction of Hurricane Irma, my Florida neighbors would meet their neighbors in other neighbor's empty reconstructions. Maybe Floridians are just friendlier.

Your "trespasser" is probably a neighbor—or plans to become one.

Quote:
I just uploaded a picture
In a state that permits "trespassing" as a legal activity, I suggest removing that individual's picture. (Agreeing with Lakegeezer).

As stated by Mr. V, no crime has been committed—and in the absence of criminal evidence, I'd just let it go.

I always stop and look. You never know when your findings could be useful in a neighbor's dispute with a builder's new construction:
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #35
TheTimeTraveler

I don't know who the white haired guy is, but it sure looks like he could use a haircut!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #36
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
After the destruction of Hurricane Irma, my Florida neighbors would meet their neighbors in other neighbor's empty reconstructions. Maybe Floridians are just friendlier.

Your "trespasser" is probably a neighbor—or plans to become one.

In a state that permits "trespassing" as a legal activity, I suggest removing that individual's picture. (Agreeing with Lakegeezer).

As stated by Mr. V, no crime has been committed—and in the absence of criminal evidence, I'd just let it go.

I always stop and look. You never know when your findings could be useful in a neighbor's dispute with a builder's new construction:
I removed the pictures since i was not sure to post it anyways. I contacted the police and send them the pictures. Police told me they were not supposed to trespass. He asked us to call them directly next time.

I blocked the entrance of the house with a rope but it did not stop these people. They came second time and went over the rope.

If they are planning to be a neighbor or just neighbors, why not come visit us while we are there and introduce themselves? We would be very happy to answer any questions and show them around.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #37
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Bingo!

Quote:
I removed the pictures since i was not sure to post it anyways. I contacted the police and send them the pictures. Police told me they were not supposed to trespass. He asked us to call them directly next time.

I blocked the entrance of the house with a rope but it did not stop these people. They came second time and went over the rope.

If they are planning to be a neighbor or just neighbors, why not come visit us while we are there and introduce themselves? We would be very happy to answer any questions and show them around.
I agree with you absolutely. These people are clueless and mannerless. If they are curious about the renovations or are neighbors...whatever....they should act like adults, knock on the door when you are there, introduce themselves, and go from there. Their behavior is disgusting. It’s good that you made the police aware of the situation. Good luck! 🤞
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (12-03-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #38
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Checking in....

Just curious as to whether or not the trespassers aka nosed neighbors have stopped invading your property, uninvited? Hope that is the case.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #39
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Just curious as to whether or not the trespassers aka nosed neighbors have stopped invading your property, uninvited? Hope that is the case.
Not yet. I am watching