Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
Woody38

Default Laconia tax payment

My wife paid our RE tax with her credit card only to find that there was a large amount added to her card. Consequently, I went online and found that they charge 2.95% for using the credit card.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
My wife paid our RE tax with her credit card only to find that there was a large amount added to her card. Consequently, I went online and found that they charge 2.95% for using the credit card.

That’s standard practice; they add the amount they are charged for processing by the credit card company. That information should have been on the tax bill.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

It clearly states the amount of the service charge on the website when you choose to pay by credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Question .... tax em high, pay em low!

While it is legal for Laconia to add on the 2.95% credit card fee, this would not be legal in Maine or Massachusetts, and a number of other states including New York, Connecticut, and Florida.

Interesting how Maine has a minimum wage of $11.00/hour, Massachusetts is at $12.00, and New Hampshire is at the very low $7.25/hour.

Welcome to NH ..... where you work for less .... and pay the property tax add-on credit card fee of 2.95%.

On August 10, 2019, Gov Christopher Sununu vetoed the legislature's bill that would have set the NH minimum wage at $10 per hour in 2020 and $12 per hour in 2022.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Quibbling over legitimate add-on charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
While it is legal for Laconia to add on the 2.95% credit card fee, this would not be legal in Maine or Massachusetts, and a number of other states including New York, Connecticut, and Florida.

Interesting how Maine has a minimum wage of $11.00/hour, Massachusetts is at $12.00, and New Hampshire is at the very low $7.25/hour.

Welcome to NH ..... where you work for less .... and pay the property tax add-on credit card fee of 2.95%.

On August 10, 2019, Gov Christopher Sununu vetoed the legislature's bill that would have set the NH minimum wage at $10 per hour in 2020 and $12 per hour in 2022.
If you are going to object to the 2.95% charge added to the tax bill if you use your credit card, whip out your check book. I am a very frugal person, and can’t understand your objection; it’s not a charge that each town should have to absorb.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
If you are going to object to the 2.95% charge added to the tax bill if you use your credit card, whip out your check book. I am a very frugal person, and can’t understand your objection; it’s not a charge that each town should have to absorb.
While it is legal under federal law, some states prohibit the practice ...... California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, and Texas all make credit card surcharges like this illegal.

And, it's a wee bit interesting that Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas are all pretty much states with Republican legislatures and governors.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
Susie Cougar

Default Laconia tax payment

fatlazyless
I’m sorry I have to disagree with you. I just paid my Florida property tax last week and there was a surcharge for using a credit card. I paid with my check instead, because I also am a very frugal person.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
Woodsy

A city or town in NH is under no obligation to accept credit/debit cards. They accept them to make it easier for taxpayers. The card processing costs the municipality, so that cost is passed on to the card using taxpayer!

Sounds great to me!

PS: FLL.... politics & a min wage discussion have nothing to do with this!

Woodsy
Major (12-02-2019), Trail Goer (12-02-2019), Wifi-1 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
AC2717

Quote:
While it is legal under federal law, some states prohibit the practice ...... California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, and Texas all make credit card surcharges like this illegal.

And, it's a wee bit interesting that Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas are all pretty much states with Republican legislatures and governors.
Massachusetts does not restrict this, in fact they even charge themselves for using a credit card - most do because it is a fee charged to them and they pass the fee so they do not lose the money that is actually owed to a CC fee.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

The people paying with credit cards would actually be costing the rest of us money because the city would net less from them than they would from those who pay by cash or check. The fee charges are a fair resolution to the issue.

I do know when renewing vehicle registrations online in Gilford it is clearly stated that using a credit card will result in a fee. I would be surprised if any city or town that accepts credit cards didn't have a warning that it would result in paying a fee.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
Major

Default Massachusetts prohibits it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Massachusetts does not restrict this, in fact they even charge themselves for using a credit card - most do because it is a fee charged to them and they pass the fee so they do not lose the money that is actually owed to a CC fee.
Our firm allows clients to pay by credit card. We have a situation at our firm where a client paid a $300,000 disbursement with a credit card. This cost us roughly $9,000. We investigated applying a 3% surcharge to credit card payments; however, Mass law prohibits it. There is no way around it.

We have changed our policy so that clients can only pay for services (attorney time) with credit cards. Disbursements (out-of-pocket charges) must be paid by check or wire.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #12
Major

Quote:

It is apparent that you do not own a small business. Most of the local business owners I know would be crippled by an increased minimum wage. Let the marketplace decide. When labor resources are limited, as they are right now, wages increase as a natural consequence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (12-03-2019), Wifi-1 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post

The down side to credit cards, is that the credit card companies charge fees to the business...... The business passes that fee on to you.... it is part of the hidden mark up on all goods....

Towns and Cities, have chose not to hide the fee inside of your tax bill.... so they charge you for the convince.... And for those of us that write checks and spend 50 cents to mail that check, we don't get hit with an extra 3% just in case we might want to do the transaction by credit....
Old 12-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
It is apparent that you do not own a small business. Most of the local business owners I know would be crippled by an increased minimum wage. Let the marketplace decide. When labor resources are limited, as they are right now, wages increase as a natural consequence.
I have not noticed an increase in prices where I frequent in Massachusetts. Anyone have data on this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I have not noticed an increase in prices where I frequent in Massachusetts. Anyone have data on this?

Most definitely. Sandwich prices have gone from $7-$10 per sandwich prior to enacting the step increases to $12-$15 per sandwich. Lunch is way more expensive now. I attribute this directly to wage increases. I frequent places in Kendall Square, where there is a lot of competition. Roach Brothers just opened a Brothers market, which has more reasonable prices. Hopefully, this will drive the cost of lunch down.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #16
8gv

Several years ago my daughter's college accepted credit card payments with no up charge.

We paid for a four year degree that way and were swimming in rewards points!

(No we did not finance her degree with 21% credit card interest.)
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #17
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Most definitely. Sandwich prices have gone from $7-$10 per sandwich prior to enacting the step increases to $12-$15 per sandwich. Lunch is way more expensive now. I attribute this directly to wage increases. I frequent places in Kendall Square, where there is a lot of competition. Roach Brothers just opened a Brothers market, which has more reasonable prices. Hopefully, this will drive the cost of lunch down.
Wage increase is only small part of the problem. Rents in that area have gone through the roof and food, in general, has gotten extremely expensive so I doubt prices will be coming down. The only thing that brings prices down is a recession.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
So your evidence is that sandwiches have gone up almost 100%? That's illogical.

And by that rationale, Sub Crazy should be paying its sandwich artists $20/hr.!

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #19
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Wage increase is only small part of the problem. Rents in that area have gone through the roof and food, in general, has gotten extremely expensive so I doubt prices will be coming down. The only thing that brings prices down is a recession.
I wouldn't say it is a small part, but I do agree with the rent issue. The new rent proposed by our building is up 90%. That said, I am enjoying a Brothers market sandwich for $7.00 ($7.50 with tax).
Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #20
Woodsy

The market sets the wages! Low unemployment rate = high demand for workers = higher wages for workers. McDonalds and Walmart are hiring at over $10/hr. 33% over minimum wage.... and they still cannot find help! So eventually they will have to offer more $$$/hr. We, as consumers, will see this cost increase passed on in the pricing.

That is the way a Free Market system works!

Woodsy
Old 12-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #21
Woody38

Default Laconia tax

My wife used the credit card as she wanted to save the money in the checking account until funds are deposited.
Also, I believe the present administration changed things so that business could charge consumers for using credit cards. Not positive, but what I heard.
As a side note I do not frequent gas stations that charge for using credit. I saw one Saturday charging $0.10 per gallon. Go to Costco and pay even less for top gas.

Merry Christmas from California forum members.

Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #22
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Straying off topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The market sets the wages! Low unemployment rate = high demand for workers = higher wages for workers. McDonalds and Walmart are hiring at over $10/hr. 33% over minimum wage.... and they still cannot find help! So eventually they will have to offer more $$$/hr. We, as consumers, will see this cost increase passed on in the pricing.

That is the way a Free Market system works!

Woodsy
How did we get from Laconia taxes to minimum wages, the cost of sandwiches in MA, and recession causation? 🙄
Old 12-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #23
Wifi-1

Quote:
How did we get from Laconia taxes to minimum wages, the cost of sandwiches in MA, and recession causation? 🙄
Not to name names, but one guess
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

Shaking my head in astonishment....Really?!!?

Where do you get your information just make it up?

Texas:

NOTE: A convenience fee will be automatically calculated and charged for the use of this service. Cities and municipalities are prohibited by law, from absorbing the costs of providing this convenience.

California:

Effective March 12, 2017, services fees for credit and debit card Secured Property Tax payments will increase. This increase is primarily driven by the online third party payment processor for Secured Property Tax credit card and debit card payments. Specifically, the fee for credit cards will increase from $5.95 plus 2.10% of the payment amount to 2.25% of the payment amount. The fee for debit cards will increase from $3.95 per payment to 2.25% of the payment amount.

Colorado:
YOU MAY ALSO PAY YOUR PROPERTY TAXES ONLINE WITH EITHER A CREDIT CARD OR E-CHECK PAYMENT. CREDIT CARD AND E-CHECK PAYMENTS ARE ACCEPTED FOR CURRENT TAXES ONLY. THE SITE WILL DIRECT YOU THROUGH A STEP BY STEP PROCESS. PLEASE NOTE, THE BANK WILL CHARGE A $1.00 FEE FOR E-CHECK PAYMENT PER TRANSACTION OR 2.75% OF TOTAL FOR CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS. WHEN PAYING ONLINE, IT IS SUGGESTED THAT YOU CHOOSE THE "PAY WITHOUT REGISTERING" OPTION.

Connecticut:

Debit Card: Use your debit card to make payments directly from your checking account. A fixed fee of $2.95 will be added to the amount of your payment.

Credit Card: Use your MasterCard, Visa, or Discover card. A new lower fee of 2.5% of your tax payment will be added to the amount you are charging.

Florida:

Credit card payments can be made by Visa, Mastercard and Discover. A non-refundable convenience fee of 2.21 percent of the tax amount will be applied to each credit card transaction.

E-check payments can also be paid online. Funds must be available for immediate withdrawal for e-checking from a regular checking account. There is no convenience fee when paying by e-check. A service fee of at least $25 up to a maximum of 5 percent of the amount of the taxes will be charged for any e-check payment returned by the bank. If your payment was canceled, you will be unable to submit your payment through e-checking. Instead, you must submit your payment by mail or in person at the Tax Collector's office.

Kansas:

Each vendor does charge a convenience fee for processing the payment transaction.The fee is not charged by the Kansas Department of Revenue.The convenience fee is assessed to cover operating costs and the costs associated with servicing thousands of transactions. Convenience fees may vary between vendors.

Maine:

Now you can pay your property taxes from the comfort of your home or office by using our online payment service. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Discover, American Express or Visa. A per transaction convenience fee of 2.5% will be charged by the payment processing company for this service.

Massachusetts:

If you use a credit card or pin less debit card, there is a non-refundable service fee of 2.5% of the total payment, with a $1 minimum. This fee is paid to the card processor and not kept by the City

Oklahoma:

We can accept payment of taxes by credit card but it must be over the Internet (not our rule.) While there is a convenience fee for this service, Oklahoma County does not receive any of this fee. If you wish to search for property or pay your taxes online you may use the Oklahoma County Property Search
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
rander7823 (12-09-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #25
Trail Goer

Quote:
I don't know but all this sandwich talk has me hungry for some Prime Rib
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail Goer For This Useful Post:
pondguy (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #26
Nagigator

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
Not to name names, but one guess
Hit that nail right on the head.
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #27
8gv

In typical conversation with multiple parties the subject will drift.

On web forums this is shunned.

Why?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #28
CTYankee

Default Credit Card Surcharges Are legal in Connecticut

Quote:
Most states impose a surcharge on tax payments made by credit card. The practice is legal in Connecticut and most other states that I'm familiar with.

I believe the gentleman known as FLL is confusing governmental obligations with use of credit cards in retail settings. Many states do prohibit surcharges in those cases. Of course, we all know the cost of credit card use is reflected in the price of goods and services.
CTYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTYankee For This Useful Post:
rander7823 (12-09-2019)