Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
WinnisquamZ

Default Progress at the Weirs

Name:  IMG_2117.JPG
Views: 15536
Size:  182.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-19-2019), Descant (11-18-2019), TheTimeTraveler (11-19-2019), Top-Water (11-23-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Haven’t been past here in a few months. Was this house sinking?

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Just saw it myself this afternoon. We are all curious as to what the finished product will be. Would also be interested in knowing if the whole house must be brought up to code with its raising

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Tank151

They've done a great job with the Weirs so far. I hope it doesn't lose its nostalgic look and feel...
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:17 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Question ..... sports betting to play at Weirs Beach!

Here's an imaginary report that would probably surprise many readers if it turned out to be true.

"Vintage Weirs Beach cottage to be new home for NH Lottery sports betting in Laconia. Sports betting is coming to Laconia starting January, and work is now underway to transform a 150-year old Weirs Beach cottage into a sports betting venue.

With its central waterfront location, visibility from the street, and many parking spaces close by, the NH Lottery has decided to go with this historic Civil War style cottage as their one Laconia location for sports betting."

How's that for a sleepy thought? Could it happen here? Probably not, but is actually something that could be doable, here at the Weirs. Time will tell?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-19-2019 at 03:19 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Born on Winni (11-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2019, 02:42 AM   #6
ApS

Question Erosion Underneath from Runoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Just saw it myself this afternoon. We are all curious as to what the finished product will be. Would also be interested in knowing if the whole house must be brought up to code with its raising
Typically, these blocks of supports allow the raising of a wooden house to build a concrete walk-in basement. However, there were also severe erosion issues in this area, if my recollection is correct.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #7
Born on Winni

That's the most work done in the Weirs in 50 years!
Born on Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
joey2665

Guess you haven’t been there in a while. All streets and sidewalks redone and East Coast is slowly but surely improving the pier. Yes there is much more work needed but certainly moving in the right direction

Old 11-19-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
Phantom

The real story is that instead of complaining about their view being blocked by the DIVE, they simply raised the house to look over it saving thousands of dollars in lawyers fee's and countless petitions to the Town of Laconia.

Gawd, I hate myself -- I am now sounding like FLL
Old 11-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Question ... an unhappy landlord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
... and East Coast is slowly but surely improving the pier.

So, what's the latest with the landlord - tenant negotiations between the Pier and the Dive with the Pier claiming it wants to lose the Dive by not renewing its' lease?

So, hear anything new on this? ...
Old 11-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
joey2665

Nothing new. It was deferred at the last meeting to the next meeting.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Would also be interested in knowing if the whole house must be brought up to code with its raising

I am sure the answer here is ambiguous at best. I am sure somethings have to be brought up to code, while others may not. Let me describe.....

If you look at the electrical system.... I am sure the power coming from the pole into the house, and into the breaker panel will all have to be upgraded to re-connect.... However what is running through out the house is probably left up to the owner's choice.

Likewise connections to public water and sewer, will have the same considerations.

If in this process, the whole house had to be upgraded it would be cheaper and more cost effective, to start over again. When an owner wants to do major work on a property the planning board, has to take into consideration, when are they asking for too much....

Existing structures, that are functioning, can under go repair, even to this extreme, and the internal guts of the house are grandfathered assuming they where done to code when originally build, up updated the last time. If every time you did a major repair to your home, you had to update everything to code, no one would ever want to repair...... However when you touch something, to redo it, what you have touched has to be repaired to code....
Old 11-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I am sure the answer here is ambiguous at best. I am sure somethings have to be brought up to code, while others may not. Let me describe.....

If you look at the electrical system.... I am sure the power coming from the pole into the house, and into the breaker panel will all have to be upgraded to re-connect.... However what is running through out the house is probably left up to the owner's choice.

Likewise connections to public water and sewer, will have the same considerations.

If in this process, the whole house had to be upgraded it would be cheaper and more cost effective, to start over again. When an owner wants to do major work on a property the planning board, has to take into consideration, when are they asking for too much....

Existing structures, that are functioning, can under go repair, even to this extreme, and the internal guts of the house are grandfathered assuming they where done to code when originally build, up updated the last time. If every time you did a major repair to your home, you had to update everything to code, no one would ever want to repair...... However when you touch something, to redo it, what you have touched has to be repaired to code....
On an old building like that I would think they would make him, at the very least, upgrade the electrical throughout the house to code otherwise it would be a fire trap. If they didn't and, god forbid, someone died in a fire, the town would get sued.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Open to the public?

I believe the codes are stricter for businesses that are open to thepublic, especially for sleeping. Owned by the NH Veterans Association, you have to be a member to rent accommodations, so it is not strictly "public", but certainly they get city inspections. I understand the original buildings were painted in the colors of the unit that built it. In the 50's the association came by some military surplus paint after the Korean conflict and they were all painted gray. I'd love to see them all repainted to their historic glory.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
On an old building like that I would think they would make him, at the very least, upgrade the electrical throughout the house to code otherwise it would be a fire trap. If they didn't and, god forbid, someone died in a fire, the town would get sued.
Once again this is all tied up in grey area of the laws. I don't disagree with what you are saying. But it really come down to how the work is defined. And when you look at electrical, what should drive the need to update to code.....

So many things have changed over the years in regards to electrical code, even a building or home built 20 years ago is not up to code.

In my experience, when it comes to needing to bring electrical up to code, it is driven more from an insurance stand point then one the inspectors making the update happen as part of a renovation, when a renovation happens, the inspectors only need be worried about the scope of the project being up to code. The could make them install an up to date circuit breaker box, but if they didn't touch a circuit and all they are doing is hooking it to the new circuit breaker box, that is all they are going to be concerned about.....

To further expand on this, you know if they started tearing up the sheet rock to worry about a completely up to code electrical and plumbing system, that to be up to code, they would likely need to update the floor joists, wall studs, and roof rafters, because none of those are up to code either.....

Bringing a house up to code is an ambiguous statement.... From your point, yes there are certain things that must be done to make sure that the house is safe..... but it doesn't mean it has to be up to code...... because to be up to code, the only way to accomplish such a thing is to tear down and start over.....
Old 11-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #16
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank151 View Post
They've done a great job with the Weirs so far. I hope it doesn't lose its nostalgic look and feel...
It’s not a long ride from nostalgia to its economic life is over and the weirs has made the ride to the dark side.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
WinnisquamZ

The reason it came to mind was the short term rentals they host. I do understand the city ordinance does not come into play here due to it being in the Weirs, however, the fire codes would have to be met at least.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Drove past today, and Allstate Concrete Foundations with a large red pickup truck was backed up to the sloping hillside below the old cottage which suggests this 100+ year old, seasonal cottage is improving its' non-existent foundation support or something?

Suggest the NH Veterans Association consider contacting the NH Lottery on renting this building out to be the one new Laconia location for NH sports betting that is coming to Laconia in January, 2020.

Bet you sports betting would pay big 12-month rent for this Weirs Beach address!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Descant

Default In the Weirs?

Quote:
The reason it came to mind was the short term rentals they host. I do understand the city ordinance does not come into play here due to it being in the Weirs, however, the fire codes would have to be met at least.
The Weirs is still a part of the City of Laconia as far as I know, so I don't understand this post.
Also, I'm under the impression that most NH cities, unlike most towns, have a housing code that applies to rental properties. The property is subject to periodic inspections. This is different from the building code where inspections are done because you pulled a building permit.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #20
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
It’s not a long ride from nostalgia to its economic life is over and the weirs has made the ride to the dark side.
The upcoming future generations that will ultimate fill the cash pockets of the area don't care about the nostalgia. And the millennials that grew up there would surely welcome a full fresh facelift of the entire area.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-21-2019), Billy Bob (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #21
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The Weirs is still a part of the City of Laconia as far as I know, so I don't understand this post.

Also, I'm under the impression that most NH cities, unlike most towns, have a housing code that applies to rental properties. The property is subject to periodic inspections. This is different from the building code where inspections are done because you pulled a building permit.
The Weirs area is exempt from the short term rental laws

Old 11-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #22
Descant

Quote:
The Weirs area is exempt from the short term rental laws
Agreed. I was thinking more about health and safety regulations following the discussion about electrical codes, etc.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #23
Woodsy

I do not think raising an existing historic building to put a concrete foundation under it, rises to the level of "Must be brought up to existing codes"

Woodsy
Reilly (11-22-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #24
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I do not think raising an existing historic building to put a concrete foundation under it, rises to the level of "Must be brought up to existing codes"

Woodsy
Disagree. If you have exposed existing electrical and plumbing going to the house I assume you would have to address.

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-21-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Default ..... used to be two railroad tracks

That's a nice old photo that shows what used to be there were two railroad tracks, and now there is just one single track along with the large boardwalk structure built on tall supports above the steep lakeside embankment.

Five years from now, wouldn't it be nice to have removed the existing single railroad track, and replaced it with the Wow Trail, rail trail, walking - bicycling 12'-wide, public way.

The one existing railroad track is very little used, private property, that is stealing this 12' wide, waterfront public way from the people of New Hampshire.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:15 AM   #26
joey2665

Again you are wrong. The rail is a private business and makes money. Why should it be removed and replaced with the wow trail? If anything they need to coexist. This topic has been covered numerous times in numerous threads.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #27
fatlazyless

Simply put, the local people get zero to no benefit by having the railroad there, while a 12' wide rail trail for walking and bicycling could be used all 12-months of the year. With Weirs Beach at its center spot on the Wow Trail, it would power up the year round use in the Weirs area.

The one real benefit with the railroad right now is that it keeps the public out because the tracks are private property and the police get called in to remove track-walkers for trespassing. The tracks are like a buffer, police boundary zone, that protects the neighborhood from the track-walkers. Having the railroad tracks occupy the nine mile long x 12' wide rail road embankment that runs along Lake Winnipesaukee from Lakeport to Weirs Beach to Meredith has made Weirs Beach into a ghost town with no people from Labor Day to Memorial Day, for the last 130-years.

In addition to the Wow Trail, a Laconia sports betting-NH Lottery venue located in this NH Veterans Association building that is now undergoing construction will bring new business and year-around people synergy to Weirs Beach. Even in February, people would be willing to travel to this 120-year old NH Veteran's building for sports betting …… and that's a very safe bet!
FlyingScot (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #28
Woodsy

Quote:
Disagree. If you have exposed existing electrical and plumbing going to the house I assume you would have to address.

If you are going to make assumptions... why do you not assume that the building is already up to whatever codes it has to meet? All they are doing is putting a foundation under a building. This is done (especially with cottages) ALL. THE. TIME. The city does not make the homeowner upgrade everything at substantial cost.

Woodsy
Old 11-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #29
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
If you are going to make assumptions... why do you not assume that the building is already up to whatever codes it has to meet? All they are doing is putting a foundation under a building. This is done (especially with cottages) ALL. THE. TIME. The city does not make the homeowner upgrade everything at substantial cost.

Woodsy
I don't know how it's done in the lakes region but in Mass, with such a major undertaking, they would make you bring it up to code. If you're adding a larger service and you don't upgrade the wiring then it's a dangerous fire hazard. If the house has knob and tube wiring then it's got to go no matter what. It's a matter of safety and I would think if the owner is spending that kind of money they would want it to be safe. I know I would!
Old 11-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #30
joey2665

Default Progress at the Weirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Simply put, the local people get zero to no benefit by having the railroad there, while a 12' wide rail trail for walking and bicycling could be used all 12-months of the year. With Weirs Beach at its center spot on the Wow Trail, it would power up the year round use in the Weirs area.

The one real benefit with the railroad right now is that it keeps the public out because the tracks are private property and the police get called in to remove track-walkers for trespassing. The tracks are like a buffer, police boundary zone, that protects the neighborhood from the track-walkers. Having the railroad tracks occupy the nine mile long x 12' wide rail road embankment that runs along Lake Winnipesaukee from Lakeport to Weirs Beach to Meredith has made Weirs Beach into a ghost town with no people from Labor Day to Memorial Day, for the last 130-years.

In addition to the Wow Trail, a Laconia sports betting-NH Lottery venue located in this NH Veterans Association building that is now undergoing construction will bring new business and year-around people synergy to Weirs Beach. Even in February, people would be willing to travel to this 120-year old NH Veteran's building for sports betting …… and that's a very safe bet!
So because it does not benefit you personally you feel the need to destroy someone’s business? This business does no harm to anyone or the area, in fact it draws tourists to the area. This is the problem with our country. Outright selfishness. Wow that’s real American if you. Again why must it be one or the other? Why not both?

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #31
Wifi-1

Quote:
So because it does not benefit you personally you feel the need to destroy someone’s business? This business does no harm to anyone or the area, in fact it draws tourists to the area. This is the problem with our country. Outright selfishness. Wow that’s real American if you. Again why must it be one or the other? Why not both?

Think that is what they call progressiveness. Interesting to see how the Brits view American Progressives:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35467470
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wifi-1 For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (11-22-2019), Top-Water (11-23-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 02:38 AM   #32
fatlazyless

That's a very nice 100-year old photo with the three tracks, and just look how everyone is so well dressed.

Apparently, Weirs Beach over the last hundred years, has gone from three to two to one railroad track.

Will it be going to no track with the steel wheel railroad cars replaced by a rail trail, 12' wide-roadway, that's used by rubber tire tourist trolleys as well as pedestrians, runners, bicyclists, and folks pushing along a baby carriage?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-24-2019 at 07:58 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #33
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Three .................

I wish I never posted. ........... Anything to latch on.

Love the picture!

With all the traffic in the Boston area I wonder if a "weekend" running passenger train would have any interest?

All the tourists could come up to Weirs via rail on a Friday or Saturday, and return to Boston on a Sunday.

FYI: There is currently a weekend type passenger train that has been running to Cape Cod out of Boston during the summer weekends and is doing quite well.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #34
fatlazyless

Pictured behind the dock, the Old Mount Washington was a steam powered ship that ran from 1872 to December 23, 1939 ..... when it was destroyed by a fire.

So's this photo had to be on Friday evening, August 11, 1933 .... as the rain was clearing out.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #35
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Love the picture!

With all the traffic in the Boston area I wonder if a "weekend" running passenger train would have any interest?

All the tourists could come up to Weirs via rail on a Friday or Saturday, and return to Boston on a Sunday.

FYI: There is currently a weekend type passenger train that has been running to Cape Cod out of Boston during the summer weekends and is doing quite well.
Fantastic idea. That certainly would be economical to the travelers and maybe bring in even more tourists. I wonder what the costs would be to get this up and running

Old 11-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #36
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
I don't disagree with you about the trains and some sort of (tourist style) passenger rail to Laconia. The area was built on rail traffic. But its not worth a discussion about it with the forum mad-mad running around invading every topic. Last time a topic about economic solutions for Laconia was started it ended in flames with with posts about stand up paddle boards. While I don't fault the administrator or owner, a forum with a no moderation will eventually die. There are only so many restaurant reviews you can go over before it gets taken over by something else.

Edit: @ WinnisquamZ sorry your topic got taken over and contributed to it by positing the photos.
No issue what so ever. I find it both enjoyable and informative when others voice their opinions. We may not always agree with each other but that is ok, we are individuals of different backgrounds and means.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (11-24-2019), pondguy (11-24-2019), Top-Water (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #37
Mr. V

Quote:
Fantastic idea. That certainly would be economical to the travelers and maybe bring in even more tourists. I wonder what the costs would be to get this up and running
It would fail, without question.

People are joined at the hip to their cars.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #38
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post

Not so much with the younger generation anymore. Many of the young city dwellers don't even have cars. They are too expensive to own in the city, no place to park, high insurance costs, and high car payments, make it cheaper to take an Uber. If they have to travel far there are ride share cars for that also.
Today, people are joined at the hip to their cell phones.

Last edited by Biggd; 11-25-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #39
Descant

Default How long? Where to?

Quote:

I can think of lots of places I might go for a vacation and not need a car. Most of Europe. Orlando, Boston, NYC, etc etc. For an overnight or a weekend, the car gets the nod, but ride sharing and public transportation are changing things. Twenty years ago, when my mother stopped driving, I went to FL to visit and help her learn to get around. After a learning curve, it was easy. Even easier now with smart phones. Try "Go Go Grandparent". Press 1 to get picked up at home. Press 2 to get picked up at the last place we dropped you off. Press 6 to talk to a dispatcher.
You're right, though. The Weirs is not ready for this as a season a destination.

Last edited by Descant; 11-25-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added last line.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #40
joey2665

Quote:

No at all especially with the current generation. They are more apt to rent than own, use mass transit instead of owning a car and spend much more of their free time traveling
Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #41
Biggd

Quote:
No at all especially with the current generation. They are more apt to rent than own, use mass transit instead of owning a car and spend much more of their free time traveling
Very true, they would rather be a passenger and spend that free time on their phones.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #42
joey2665

Quote:
Very true, they would rather be a passenger and spend that free time on their phones.
You are right on the mark!!!
Old 11-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #43
iw8surf

Quote:

It doesn't surprise me... What is the true cost of car ownership for 5 years. Sure if you are frugal that's one thing but lets be honest most people today have what 400-600$/month car payments alone, never mind insurance, gas, upkeep etc.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote