Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
JL Girl

Default Bad Accident on the Moultonborough Neck Road

Don't know if any of you were on the Moultonborough Neck Road between 5:30 and 6 pm but there was a terrible accident on the road about 2 miles down it on a curve, which I call "Cross Curve" because of the roadside crosses placed there from previous accidents. This one involved 2 cars, I believe, one of which was on fire and which took a great deal of time to put out. I was maybe the 20th car back (pulled over) and by the time, the police/fire let us travel again, there was backup on both sides of the Neck Road for a mile or so, each way. 3 state police cars, numerous Moultonborough police cars, a number of fire engines, 2 ambulances - quite a number of safety vehicles. I felt bad for whoever was involved. That curve is the scene of more accidents yet it doesn't appear to be particularly sharp - I travel on it, coming and going, nearly every day.
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
NHKathy

JL Girl
Were you by any chance able to get a look at the type of vehicles/colors? My inlaws have a home off the Neck, they are NOT up there now, but we have many friends who frequent that road. Just curious.
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Lin

Here's the link to the accident. The names of the drivers are listed. They were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Sounds like they are saying it was speed and illegal passing that caused the accident. We use that road frequently and it seems everyone is in a rush on that road. I do the speed limit and always have someone either right on my bumper or passing me. I see the cruisers doing radar quite often on that road too. Glad to learn it wasn't a fatal accident at least.
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...210/-1/CITIZEN
Old 08-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
NHKathy

Thanks for the link, LIN
I don't know either party involved. Have to say I agree with you about the speed, always somebody right up on my bumper too! Always in a rush!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Well I am glad to see no one was hurt....And as others have said here, people just go to dam fast on that road....It seems that there is one big accident in that area every year. I often wonder if they need or should reconfigure the road to slow people down...... I know the cops are trying to enforce the speed limit I see them all the time on my way to and from the camp.... but people just don't seem to be getting the message,,,, in fact I think people are traveling that road faster now then they where 20 years ago when I started comming to the lake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 08-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Newbiesaukee

Smile

I have a fast looking car but always go the speed limit or less and someone is always on my tail on the Neck road. A few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon I was going less than twenty on Long Island Bridge ( lots of people and kids on the beach) and a Porsche SUV with two woman in it passed me on the bridge! They must have been very important people with a need to get to their destination very quickly. I believe they were meeting Captain Bonehead for dinner
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
JL Girl

NH Kathy, if I remember correctly, the Jeep Cherokee was black but hard to tell because it was all burnt - when I came upon accident, being 20 cars back, the flames and black smoke were shooting straight up in the air. When they let us go by, I thought I noticed the other car was a tan color - trying to see and drive and not hit the firefighter directing traffic only allowed me a fleeting glance. Heard later from someone here that the 17 year old was passing two cars on a curve - I went by the scene today and noted that just where it occurred, the place where he passed the two cars was no passing on his side of the road and then it switched to a double solid line, definitely no passing! Agree about the speed on that road and the patrols. Find myself speeding from time to time too, but I do try to watch it most of the time. However, passing 2 cars in a no pass zone is something I'd never try - I hate passing one on a straight road with no-one coming for miles! Thank goodness, there were no fatalities but hopefully, this is going to make one heck of an impression on the young man for quite some time. Imagine that lots of parents are having talks with their teenagers after this.
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Dead Mans Curve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Girl
Don't know if any of you were on the Moultonborough Neck Road between 5:30 and 6 pm but there was a terrible accident on the road about 2 miles down it on a curve, which I call "Cross Curve" because of the roadside crosses placed there from previous accidents. This one involved 2 cars, I believe, one of which was on fire and which took a great deal of time to put out. I was maybe the 20th car back (pulled over) and by the time, the police/fire let us travel again, there was backup on both sides of the Neck Road for a mile or so, each way. 3 state police cars, numerous Moultonborough police cars, a number of fire engines, 2 ambulances - quite a number of safety vehicles. I felt bad for whoever was involved. That curve is the scene of more accidents yet it doesn't appear to be particularly sharp - I travel on it, coming and going, nearly every day.

"Cross Curve"

I prefer to call it "DEAD MANS CURVE".

How many times have you been in that stretch of road, doing the speed limit and some one has to pass you? Oh never mind that it's a double yellow line.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #9
NHKathy

Thanks for the info, JLGirl
Yes, thankfully there were no fatalities. Hopefully the passing driver has learned his lesson - and others will learn from it and THINK about their actions! The news article online (link by LIN above) states the other driver was from NJ, he was probably up there enjoying a great vacation when that happened - I feel so bad for him! Hopefully his injuries are not too bad. My thoughts are with him.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
cjs

I have to add my two cents and say that it surprises me that those who are out of state here on vacation are in such a hurry instead of taking it easy.

I cannot count how many times during the summer months around here I have seen accidents, I have seen accidents almost happen. I am for one tired of trying to dodge people coming at me or trying to pass just to get nowhere and the tailgaters.

All I can say is pleeeeeeeease be careful, I have small children and we love it here. Thank you. Is Labor Day weekend over yet? CJ

Last edited by cjs; 08-09-2006 at 01:08 PM. Reason: meant to say Labor not Memorial Day
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Winnigirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
I have to add my two cents and say that it surprises me that those who are out of state here on vacation are in such a hurry instead of taking it easy.

I cannot count how many times during the summer months around here I have seen accidents, I have seen accidents almost happen. I am for one tired of trying to dodge people coming at me or trying to pass just to get nowhere and the tailgaters.

All I can say is pleeeeeeeease be careful, I have small children and we love it here. Thank you. Is Labor Day weekend over yet? CJ
Riiight. Because the only accidents ocurring around the lake are because of tourists? I guess I missed that statistic!
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
NonVoting Taxpayer

CJS - does this mean there are no accidents after Labor Day?
The driver doing the passing who caused this accident is from Mereidth. Last I heard Meredith was not "Out of State".
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
JoeP

Default Scary thought

This accident reminded me how dangerous it is that there is only one access road for the Neck. I was caught in the backup resulting from that accident while enroute to the hospital with someone who had a bad watersking injury. We ultimately had to call for an ambulance in order to get him quickly to the hospital.

Not sure there is any real solution, but it is a scary thought.
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote