Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
JL Girl

Default Moose Sightings

Been eager to see a moose but in the 3 years I've lived here and the 20 years of summer visits, never saw one before. I was riding with a friend about 9:15 tonight returning back down the Moultonborough Neck Road to Long Island - about 1/2 to 1 mile down the Neck Road from the light on Route 25 (before the tree farm), there is a swampy wetlands way back and I've always thought that would be where I'd see one. But tonight, he was a couple of feet off the pavement on the passenger side - what a huge animal - just kind of kept walking along. It wasn't till we were well by that we realized what could have happened (he could have turned left into us). Could not see if he had any antlers - it could have been a she. Anyway, curious about moose sightings by the Forum regulars (and in particular, any in Moultonborough.) They say that there was one on Long Island just recently seen in the last couple of weeks. Brings to mind that old song "You Moose Remember This" and I will! Sorry for the pun but not really.
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
dpg

The area you mention actually has a number of moose (well, a few anyway!!) I've hunted before just down the street - across from the little cemetery on the same side where you mention. Moultonborough neck is known for having moose along it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
PROPELLER

I have seen several moose over the years. But only 1 around the lake. It was in a small swampy area on the left shoulder of route 28 heading to Ossipee.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
Lakewinniboater

Default Moose

Who was it that had that GREAT picture of the Moose swimming in the Lake? That was amazing to me. All I could think of was "Jeez, I would feel really bad if I had hit that" THEN I thought of what it would have done to my poor boat. YIKES!!!!

ANYWAY, it was pretty cool. Maybe it is time to resurrect that picture!
Lakewinniboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
zoomgirl

Smile

I have also been on the lookout and finally saw one the Sunday of Memorial weekend. He was in a swampy meadow area on the left (if going towards Ossippee) off Rt. 25 close to Tamworth. He was there both times we went by. Didn't seem fazed by all the curious that had stopped by to snap a picture!
zoomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Moose on The Broads

The moose looked just like a log until we got closer.
This photo was taken on The Broads, June 28, 2003, around 8:00 am.

Another shot.

Mee-n-Mac playing peek-a-boo with an Alton Moose.

Kerem caught one swimming to Three Mile Island.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 02-05-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
Lakewinniboater

Default You are so lucky

you always get the best shots! I guess I am never in the right spot at the right time!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I love that shot
Lakewinniboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
Zee

Default Moose in Wolfeboro

Three weekends ago on a SUnday around 5:00 pm we were on Rt. 109 in Wolfeboro just before downtown a large young male came trotting down the street. The traffic stopped and we all enjoyed a nice show. He then decided to exit and ran through a backyard and into the woods. We were surprised to see him so close to "downtown". Maybe he had a hankering for something cold from Bailey's Bubble
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #9
Grant

Default Meese

My dad was closing up in September a few years ago, and a moose came trotting down the path toward the boathouse...they caught each other by surprise. Later that day, another sighting -- same moose wading along the shore.

When my dad was a kid, he and his sister rowed alongside a young moose that came down from the woods and swam across to Moultonboro Neck.

The only ones I've seen have been in Sandwich area and in the marshy areas along 25 heading toward Ossipee. When we were hiking the Sandwich Range a few summers ago, we took a wrong turn and ended up in what has to be on of the most moose-infested areas in the region -- COVERED with tracks and poop and rubbings. It was pretty cool.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
ghfromaltonbay

Default Moose at Sandy Point

One Sunday at midday about 5 years ago, a large bullmoose came crashing through the small trees off Route 11 and down the embankment into the water by Sandy Point (about 150 feet south of the restaurant). It swam around Loon Island and headed across the bay. We watched thru binoculars and saw it come onto land by the Freese house on Rt. 28A. That's the closest I've been to one near the lake. The only other times I've seen moose have been on Route 113 in the Tamworth, Wonalancet, Chocorua areas.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #11
nj2nh

Default Never seen one

For roughly 44 summers, I've been going up to the Lake and always head north once or twice towards the White Mountains. But I have never, ever seen a moose. My husband thinks they don't exist and are some kind of plot to attract tourists. Well, not really, but he likes to say that.

Two weeks and counting,

Jersey Girl
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #12
Lake Lady 6

Default Another Moose Story

Last summer a moose swam about 150" from shore heading towards Alton Bay. We weren't home but our neighbor took a picture as it swam by.

Earlier this week one came from Diamond Island and tried to make a landing on Railroad Ave. in W. Alton - for some reason a police cruiser was waiting and frightened it back into the water. The moose again tried to come on shore on a small beach on Smith Point Road only to find the cruiser waiting and returned once again further along and was able to get to the woods. This was confirmed by a "moose watcher" with binoculars and caused concern that the moose would tire before escaping into the woods. All's well that ends well. . .
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #13
Skooter

Default Even another Moose story

Riding my bike (bicycle...not motorcycle...) early one morning a couple weeks ago I saw a what looked like a young moose in the near the power transformers along 109A in Moultonboro just before Bald Peak not far off the road. Luckily he was going in the opposite direction

Two years ago we had one wander through our property early in the morning. They are something to see up close....
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #14
jeffk

Default The one I saw showed up for a family visit

About 8 years ago my family was visiting NH and staying at our Moultonboro house. We were traveling on 109, just past Buckey's restaurant, heading toward Wolfeboro and there he was, strolling along the road. He wasn't very big and looked kind of scruffy. He just meandered along the road for a few minutes and then turned back into the the woods.
We had lived in southern NH for about 12 years and had the Moultonboro house for four years. I had never seen a moose in NH before and never have since. He just showed up to impress my family, which I thought was neighborly of him.
My daughter saw a moose two years ago in our front yard in Hudson. He didn't hang around very long and unfortunately I missed him.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:31 PM   #15
Senter Cove Guy

Default 2 Moose In 58 Years

I wondered when I would ever see a moose. Every Fall, on the day the boat comes out of the water, I take my last ride around Melvin and Moultonboro bays. I always take a quick spin behind Joe's and Poplar islands over by Camp Tecumseh. I saw my first moose walking along the shore by the Camp. It was the middle of October.

Then, about 5 years later in July, one night we were driving south on route 109 from Moultonboro to Melvin Village and encountered a young moose walking along 109 by Suissevale. I passed him then stopped. Backed up and watched him as he continued to walk down the road. We followed for about 15 seconds and then he turned into the woods and was gone. My passengers didn't see him when I passed him and they wondered why I was backing up. Everyone was pretty amazed.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:06 AM   #16
ApS

Smile 3 in just the last 14 years

Two came by water, but a large moose wandered through our very wooded lot making the same shuffling noise as a child might make, kicking his way through fallen leaves. It was an odd direction for a person to approach the house, but I leaned over the porch railing as if to greet the unseen neighbor, and looked down upon the largest critter I'd ever seen in New Hampshire.

In today's Union Leader, a moose collision resulted in no injuries to the two in the sub-compact, and "the moose shrugged off the incident, and continued to walk into the woods".

Wonder what moose think of bikers, then?