Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
WelcomeToBearadise
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13
Thanks: 19
Thanked 23 Times in 5 Posts
Default Fire on Long Island!!

View of fire on Long Island from East Bear....Looks close to Jonathons Landing, does anybody have any information? Picture from approximately 1/2 hour ago....
Attached Images
 
WelcomeToBearadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
samosetguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 53
Thanks: 26
Thanked 32 Times in 13 Posts
Default Captain's Walk

On twitter, it was reported to be a house fire at Captain's Walk. I'm not certain if that's true just sharing what was reported. It could be seen across the broads from Gilford.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Triboro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Captain's Walk

I heard it was Captain's Walk too and they are using fireboats.
Triboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
CeilingToFloor
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Wolfeboro
Posts: 12
Thanks: 14
Thanked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The fire is/was at a house on Captain's Walk. We are working a few houses down and heard the sirens and smoke over the lake. You could see the glow through the woods. Looked like there were 5 or 6 firetrucks. It was a big one.
Attached Images
   
CeilingToFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CeilingToFloor For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-25-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kuna ID
Posts: 2,755
Thanks: 246
Thanked 1,941 Times in 802 Posts
Default

It looked HUGE from the water...

From what the news said nobody was injured Thank GOD for that. It was quite impressive before the fire boats got there and started to really knock it down.

The house was completely engulfed in flames when we got over there, seemed like some trees also were involved but hard to tell the MP was obviously keeping spectators always and there were quite a few boats checking the situation out.
Attached Images
  
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2016, 02:07 AM   #6
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida (Sebring & Keys), Wolfeboro
Posts: 5,482
Thanks: 1,779
Thanked 683 Times in 485 Posts
Exclamation "Forest Fire Danger" was Low, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
It looked HUGE from the water... From what the news said nobody was injured Thank GOD for that. It was quite impressive before the fire boats got there and started to really knock it down. The house was completely engulfed in flames when we got over there, seemed like some trees also were involved but hard to tell the MP was obviously keeping spectators always and there were quite a few boats checking the situation out.
Fortunately, wind was a weak factor in the intensity of the fire. Days of 30-MPH winds such as we'd seen from June 10th, could have made the situation calamitous for all of Long Island.

.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
Sunbeam lodge
Senior Member
 
Sunbeam lodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Meredith/Naples Florida
Posts: 365
Thanks: 135
Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
Default Long island fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Fortunately, wind was a weak factor in the intensity of the fire. Days of 30-MPH winds such as we'd seen from June 10th, could have made the situation calamitous for all of Long Island.

.
F
Fire the day after at captains walk
Attached Images
  
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunbeam lodge For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
Sunbeam lodge
Senior Member
 
Sunbeam lodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Meredith/Naples Florida
Posts: 365
Thanks: 135
Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Fortunately, wind was a weak factor in the intensity of the fire. Days of 30-MPH winds such as we'd seen from June 10th, could have made the situation calamitous for all of Long Island.

.
I added another photo
Attached Images
 
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,818
Thanks: 635
Thanked 1,231 Times in 849 Posts
Default

What a shame!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
Winnisquamer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Winnisquam
Posts: 408
Thanks: 72
Thanked 115 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Sucks, that's a nice looking house too..
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #11
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,154
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 268
Thanked 896 Times in 649 Posts
Default

http://www.unionleader.com/Fire-boat...gh-island-fire

includes a 2:38 video shot by a firefighter from the Gilford fire boat. Looks like the camera was positioned behind the water cannon as water is streamed out over the bow and into the fire.

Is this the 40-year old Gilford fire boat, the Snuffer, that needs to be replaced? Supposedly, it goes out to seven or eight calls per year.

"Goodhue said that the new boat will be infinitely better for assisting the fire department for fires along the water, where Snuffer could never get close enough or could pump enough water to be truly useful." May 11, 2016: Laconia Daily Sun; 'Gilford Votes to Accept New Boat from Portsmouth.'

So's what do I know ..... not much! ...... seems like the 40-year old "Snuffer" is still getting it done? Like, why spend a couple hundred thousand dollars, or something, of Gilford property tax payer money on a new Super Snuffer, when the 40-year old Snuffer is still able to show up on the other side of the lake in Moultonborough and help put out the fire?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-25-2016 at 01:13 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 451
Thanks: 5
Thanked 157 Times in 78 Posts
Default

A tragedy but THAT is why we have homeowners insurance. No one hurt and they can rebuild. I am most certainly not trying to diminish this but buildings can be replaced, lives can't. I'm sure the homeowners feel the same.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,292
Thanks: 673
Thanked 721 Times in 369 Posts
Default

Union Leader article says #18 Captains Walk but the tax map and pictures indicate it's #22, especially due to the angle of the breakwater. Owner of #22 shown as Rev. Trust I/N/O Sharon Sanford, previously titled in name of Robert and Sharon. Address shown as Southborough, MA.

No reports of their being at property at time of fire, fortunately.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
CeilingToFloor
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Wolfeboro
Posts: 12
Thanks: 14
Thanked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The Union Leader is correct. It was #18, you can see the number in this photo. My husband ran to a fireman who asked him to help him get his gear on.
Attached Images
 
CeilingToFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
Winnisquamer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Winnisquam
Posts: 408
Thanks: 72
Thanked 115 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
http://www.unionleader.com/Fire-boat...gh-island-fire

includes a 2:38 video shot by a firefighter from the Gilford fire boat. Looks like the camera was positioned behind the water cannon as water is streamed out over the bow and into the fire.

Is this the 40-year old Gilford fire boat, the Snuffer, that needs to be replaced? Supposedly, it goes out to seven or eight calls per year.

"Goodhue said that the new boat will be infinitely better for assisting the fire department for fires along the water, where Snuffer could never get close enough or could pump enough water to be truly useful." May 11, 2016: Laconia Daily Sun; 'Gilford Votes to Accept New Boat from Portsmouth.'

So's what do I know ..... not much! ...... seems like the 40-year old "Snuffer" is still getting it done? Like, why spend a couple hundred thousand dollars, or something, of Gilford property tax payer money on a new Super Snuffer, when the 40-year old Snuffer is still able to show up on the other side of the lake in Moultonborough and help put out the fire?

Possibly because after 40 years of probably sub par maintenance one day they'll show up to your half burnt down house that your family just hopefully safely crawled out of and say, "well wtf the pump won't work, wish we had that new fire boat. Hope you have insurance sir/ma'am."

Double edged sword buying or not buying that boat. They buy it they were overspending according to the tax payers, they didn't buy it and someone dies because the old one can't fight the fire and you'd have a different story in the news no?
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #16
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 3,074
Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 1,865 Times in 855 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Possibly because after 40 years of probably sub par maintenance one day they'll show up to your half burnt down house that your family just hopefully safely crawled out of and say, "well wtf the pump won't work, wish we had that new fire boat. Hope you have insurance sir/ma'am."

Double edged sword buying or not buying that boat. They buy it they were overspending according to the tax payers, they didn't buy it and someone dies because the old one can't fight the fire and you'd have a different story in the news no?
The boat that Gilford was to get would have been free from city of Portsmouth. Then Portsmouth decided to give it to another town.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,292
Thanks: 673
Thanked 721 Times in 369 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeilingToFloor View Post
The Union Leader is correct. It was #18, you can see the number in this photo. My husband ran to a fireman who asked him to help him get his gear on.
Thanks for correction.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #18
Fargo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lake Winni
Posts: 213
Thanks: 36
Thanked 130 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Considering how black the smoke was and how fast the fire spread, does anyone know if the home was insulated with spray foam insulation. Hope no one was hurt, sorry for their loss.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
songkrai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 699
Thanks: 34
Thanked 140 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Who/what company was the builder?
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #20
Winnisquamer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Winnisquam
Posts: 408
Thanks: 72
Thanked 115 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
The boat that Gilford was to get would have been free from city of Portsmouth. Then Portsmouth decided to give it to another town.



Free? Even better, the town would be stupid not to take it for free. Sucks it didn't work out.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #21
Just Sold
Senior Member
 
Just Sold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Suncook, NH, but at The Lake at Heart
Posts: 2,612
Thanks: 1,080
Thanked 433 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Free? Even better, the town would be stupid not to take it for free. Sucks it didn't work out.
Portsmouth decided that it was required to give the boat to New Castle based on the requirements of the federal funding that paid for the origianal purchase. It was also a political decision that overrode the Portsmouth Fire Departments recomendation to give it to Gilford. I have been told by a very reliable source that the Fire Boat was a jet drive which is a poor choice for use on the ocean due to the hull design. It would have been perfect for the lake though.
__________________
Just Sold
At the lake the stress of daily life just melts away. Pro Re Nata
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (06-26-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #22
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kuna ID
Posts: 2,755
Thanks: 246
Thanked 1,941 Times in 802 Posts
Default

From our vantage point on Bear Island we figured it was on 6 mile Island then as we headed out in the boat to take a closer look it was clear where it was which is even more scary considering how large it was. It's sad to see a beautiful home such as this one was get destroyed by fire, but as already pointed out, it can be replaced, lives cannot. Thank GOD nobody was injured or killed.

It was pretty amazing to watch the fire boats doing their thing, the fire departments should be commended for doing a bang up job at keeping this contained and successfully getting this fire out without any further damange to adjacent properites. These guys train and prepare for just this sort of thing and deserve our thanks for doing what they do. This could have been a lot worse! Pictures do not to justice to just how large a fire this was, pretty damn scary.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-26-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 11:58 PM   #23
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,475
Thanks: 1,518
Thanked 1,582 Times in 807 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Who/what company was the builder?
I know who built it,but it was built 12 years ago.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:37 AM   #24
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,915
Thanks: 427
Thanked 600 Times in 336 Posts
Default



https://youtu.be/nJrcMwTl2kI

Incredible Video !!
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #25
songkrai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 699
Thanks: 34
Thanked 140 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I know who built it,but it was built 12 years ago.
From the street I hear that the insurance company is interviewing the general contractor and all of the sub contractors.

Not sure if the fire marshal's office has reached a determination of cause.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.87354 seconds